The Dance Hall 9: Bring the Bling or No Beijing 2021-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjb52

I think S/B can beat G/F depending on how their respective programs turn out. Not that they will, just that I wouldn't call it out of the realm of possibility.

Colonel Green

I feel like it was quite a challenge for SC to cultivate a field that would guaranteed G&P a gold medal, but they did it. The fields would be much more even if P&C were assigned to SC, where they train.
That wasn’t a challenge. P/C are unseeded, so not inviting them was easy. I don’t think they’d ever have sought to go, anyway, it would have ruffled feathers.

Dobre

Ah, I see, the issue is the level of competition at their respective Grand Prix events.
S&B and G&F were in the same seeded group. They were never going to be in the same events.

One of the 4-6 teams was always going to get shafted because the top three seeds didn't include P&C.

In 2016-17 it was Cappellini & Lanotte that were stuck in the two extra deep fields. The thing to keep in mind, always, is that even if you miss the Final, it usually all comes out in the wash at Europeans or 4CCs and by Worlds, it doesn't matter.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Who else is annoyed (though not surprised) that Morozov/Bagin got 2 assignments while Skoptcova/Aleshin only got 1 in the initial list? Also, who else is thinking that the Skate Canada showdown between Davis/Smolkin and Shanaeva/Naryzhnyy will determine who gets the Rostelecom host TBA spot?

I'm glad that both Spanish teams got 2 assignments - I know, not the first time, but with the weirdness of last season it was definitely a concern.

Any guesses who the leading teams for the USA host pick are? Cesanek/Yehorov, McNamara/Spiridonov, Pate/Bye?

That open CoC spot... Sooooo many countries will be vying for it - Reed/Ambrulevicius, Kazakova/Reviya, Skoptcova/Aleshin, Nazarova/Nikitin, Yanovskaya/Lukacs, etc.

And is there any reason why Lopareva/Brissaud didn't get the 3rd IdF host spot automatically? Is there an up-from-juniors team that could get it? Or is Pechalet just hoping that L/B will get invited to fill the open NHK spot? Not likely - like others, I expect that K/K will get it.

Last edited:

Dobre

Who else is annoyed (though not surprised) that Morozov/Bagin got 2 assignments while Skoptcova/Aleshin only got 1 in the initial list?
No, but I'm annoyed that Morozov & Bagin got 2 assignments and Davis & Smolkin got one when Shevchenko & Eremenko didn't get one. (S&E are still together, right? I didn't miss a split there, did I? I'm assuming this is happening because they are outside the top 24 WS by about 2 spots or so). Does Bagin somehow have the special VISA that was discussed earlier to help M&B be able to compete at SA this particular year? On the other hand, I've been waiting to see M&B have to face non-home North American GP judging for a couple years so here goes. They are better now than they were a couple years ago, but still it's about time. Most new Russian teams moving straight up from juniors have to do this early on.

Also, who else is thinking that the Skate Canada showdown between Davis/Smolkin and Shanaeva/Naryzhnyy will determine who gets the Rostelecom host TBA spot?
Sounds too late.
Any guesses who the leading teams for the USA host pick are? Cesanek/Yehorov, McNamara/Spiridonov, Pate/Bye?
Either Cesanek & Yehorov or whoever manages to defeat them head-to-head this summer.

And is there any reason why Lopareva/Brissaud didn't get the 3rd IdF host spot automatically?
My guess is hoping that L&B might get a replacement slot.

Demougeot & LeMercier age up, no? Probably not competitive with Lopareva & Brissaud, but they are a strong enough team to merit a GP host spot if they are moving up.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
No, but I'm annoyed that Morozov & Bagin got 2 assignments and Davis & Smolkin got one when Shevchenko & Eremenko didn't get one. (S&E are still together, right? I didn't miss a split there, did I? I'm assuming this is happening because they are outside the top 24 WS by about 2 spots or so). Does Bagin somehow have the special VISA that was discussed earlier to help M&B be able to compete at SA this particular year? On the other hand, I've been waiting to see M&B have to face non-home North American GP judging for a couple years so here goes. They are better now than they were a couple years ago, but still it's about time. Most new Russian teams moving straight up from juniors have to do this early on.

Sounds too late.
I'd forgotten about S/E. And now, I'm completely annoyed they didn't get any assignments.

I don't think that SC is too late for it to be the decider for D/S or S/N getting the open RC spot since RC is the last event this year - that's a good 3.5 weeks between events for the RusFed to come up with some reason to make that choice.

supergirl573

It’s possible that the Russian Fed thinks Bukin will be blocked from the Olympics again and have decided not to invest in them anymore.

Dobre

From the U.S. Ice Dance thread:
As of today (July 1), Katarina DelCamp and Ian Somerville [J3] and Elizabeth Tkachenko and Alexei Kiliakov [J7] are no longer listed in the ISP. DelCamp/Somerville qualified for the Team C envelope based on their Nationals placement in Junior (3rd) but they are not listed.
Le sigh.

ostile17

Kana and Dai will skate in between periods during this hockey showcase organized by Matterhorn Fit, taking place on July 22-24 at the Hertz Arena in Estero, Florida.

I wonder if they'll debut their new RD to Soran Bushi/Koto. Hopefully someone will film them! :saint:

More:

Sylvia

TBD
Posted in early April in the previous Dance Hall thread:
Sofia Val (16) and Nikita Vitryanyuk (19) are a new junior team based in Lyon, France and representing Spain.

Sofia's announcement: https://www.instagram.com/p/CNIERoRgM4-/
Nikita's announcement: https://www.instagram.com/p/CNISgSVJlX8/

She last competed with her previous partner at 2020 Junior Worlds: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00107024.htm
He previously represented Cyprus internationally with Maria Miliukova (Adv. Novice level) and in singles: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00054751.htm
The Villard de Lans patinage club's Instagram account welcomed Val/Vitryanyuk on June 19: https://www.instagram.com/p/CQTGjzCp4Vx/

VdL announced a new dance team representing Estonia -- Solene Mazingue and Marko Gaidajenko, 19 -- back in January 2021: https://www.instagram.com/p/CJlpd0Ep2Uf/
He previously competed internationally wih Darja Netjaga from 2018 to 2020 Junior Worlds.

I've posted news about VdL's French teams in the French news thread in GSD: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...nçaise-part-quatre.107545/page-4#post-6017413

ETA:
Demougeot & LeMercier age up, no? Probably not competitive with Lopareva & Brissaud, but they are a strong enough team to merit a GP host spot if they are moving up.
Yes, she turned 19 in January and he's 21 (22 in October): http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00055030.htm

Last edited:

dancing_on_ice

Vadym Kolesnik's new partner is Sophia Eowyn Hsu, a clip was posted to her YouTube channel of them doing the midnight blues pattern.

She also has a lot of clips of solo dance moves on her channel.

VGThuy

Vadym Kolesnik's new partner is Sophia Eowyn Hsu, a clip was posted to her YouTube channel of them doing the midnight blues pattern.

Finally some news!

dancing_on_ice

Are they repping the U.S.?
It seems so. I think it's safe to assume that Sophia is American, her Instagram bio says she moved from DC to Novi, and all of her YouTube videos suggests that she's competed in domestic American solo dance competitions. Furthermore, we haven't heard anything about Vadym being released by USFS. Also, in an interview he did earlier, Vadym said that they would be competing at the senior level this year, but only domestically (no grand prixs of any kind).

Colonel Green

Well, we know what her parents' favourite movie was.

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
In an interview he did earlier, Vadym said that they would be competing at the senior level this year, but only domestically (no grand prixs of any kind).
Kolesnik turns 20 this year (past July 1) so he has this season and next for junior eligibility; unsure about her age. I can see not rushing to get ready for the JGP with a new partnership, and it seems they're taking the long view that competing in seniors nationally could position them better after the post-2022 retirements.

VGThuy

Despite being a new partnership, it is consistent with Igor, who unlike Wheaton, doesn't seem to like to keep his teams in juniors forever. From past teams, it seems like if he can, he'll move up his teams to the senior level as early as they can move.

Colonel Green

Hannah saw Yura Min getting those easy international assignments for a decade and thought "why not me?"

A good move for both the team, the coaches, and the federation. The first gets assignments that would always have been hard to get in Canada (since we weren't in the top three at the last Junior Worlds, I'm not sure they'd even get on the JGP this year), the second gets to reel the South Korean fed into their web of alliances, and the third gets a promising dance team to eventually replace their current senior team.

Sylvia

TBD
ISU's latest Spotlight feature - Sara Hurtado/Kirill Khaliavin (ESP) looking for continuous growth: https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/...ooking-for-continuous-growth?templateParam=15
Excerpt:
[They are] working with a new choreographer, Ayhan Shinzhin, a Russian dancer, performer and artist. They started with the Rhythm Dance.
“As always, they announce the rhythm, so you always have to make sure that you are addressing the rhythm properly. The character has to be built from the beginning,” Hurtado explained. “We want to leave the music as a surprise, but we can say that we have never danced anything like this before. Every season, we're always looking to put ourselves into something that is going to make us grow. Of course, it is an Olympic season, but we went with our gut feeling.”
The Skaters enjoyed working with Shinzhin so much that they asked him to do their Free Dance as well. ”The Free Dance is something similar to something that we may have done before, but with a big step up in choreography and just making the program a whole piece, not like elements, skating, elements. We want to make a full concept. [...]
Which ISU Challengers H/K compete in "depends on the selection process for the Olympic Winter Games that their Federation will put in place."

Published today (July 19) by the ISU: https://www.isu.org/isu-news/news/8...f-element-names-in-ice-dance?templateParam=15
In line with the change to Article 39, paragraph 3, b) accepted by ISU Members via the online vote in June 2021, the following element names for Ice Dance have been adjusted.
Link to ISU Communication No. 2408 ICE DANCE Adjustment of element names: https://www.isu.org/docman-document...munications/25978-isu-communication-2408/file

Colonel Green

And we have the roster for JGP Courchevel I, the first international junior event in a year and a half.

US #1s Wolfkostin & Chen, Skating Twitter faves Kagonovskaia & Angelopol, and Makita & Gunara are the headliners. Though I wonder if K/A might end up getting moved since it might be a waste to put them against W/C right out of the gate for (though it’s possible that YKW will limit that shuffling that RusFed is so fond of in ordinary times).

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information