The 2024 Total Solar Eclipse Thread

TOADS

Toad whisperer.....
Well, we are supposed to be hit with the cicadas at some point this spring - and here in the Mid-Atlantic, we are supposed to get the 13 AND 17 year breeds. 😱
The toads will be well fed.

I don’t know whether we here in eastern MA are included. If we are, Courtney and the Canes will be well fed. The American toads may be a little small to tackle a cicada. 🐸🎶

alexikeguchi

I didn't take this, but someone on a Houston subreddit did and this is pretty much what I saw:

My mil and one of her daughters were in Dallas for the eclipse. I wonder what the new excuse will be why the apocalypse didn't start today. Houston is in a tornado warning until tomorrow night so maybe I'll wait at least 24 hours before I start needling. :p
Yeah, I ended up bailing on my plan to drive from Houston to Waco because of the risk of severe weather on my drive home even more than the cloud cover. My 2017 experience in Salem, OR was amazing since the sky was cloudless, I was able to attend a well-organized event on the fairgrounds, and my family was with me. At the time, we talked about seeing this one in the Cleveland area since my dad lived part of the year in Pittsburgh, but he has since passed. My Austin son is in Hong Kong and my younger son in Osaka right now, so it just wouldn't have been the same.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
The whole Ark-La-Tex was under a tornado watch earlier. We still may be. I haven't paid attention anymore. Then there was also something about heavy winds and some hail. I heard thunder, but that's all so far. Later tonight, heavy rain will begin. I believe it will be around through Wednesday. I was just thinking that if I get in my bed on the air mattress tonight and the power goes out, it will be like an apocalypse for me trying to get out of that bed! It happened one time before. I sank in the middle and had to roll over twice to get out of it. I woke up thinking at first that I was sinking on the Titanic.

ilovepaydays

Once upon a time, I was falling in love
But now I'm only falling apart :fragile:
There's nothing I can do
A total eclipse of the heart
Once upon a time, there was light in my life
But now there's only love in the dark
Nothing I can say
A total eclipse of the heart​
Excuse me, we don't need that stuck in our heads! :p

We especially don't need the Glee version!!

(Turn around, bright eyes)
Every now and then I fall apart
(Turn around, bright eyes)
Every now and then
I fall apart

(Turn around)
Every now and then
I get a little bit restless
And I dream of something wild
👨‍🎤

I’ll honor Bonnie Tyler anyday! 👍 A lot of singers nowadays can’t belt out like that without autotune.

KCC

Back in 2017, the local high school held an eclipse viewing event on their football field. Music went from Sounds of Silence (Hello darkness my old friend) to Here Comes the Sun pretty quickly. I seemed to recall that the whole event was only about 10 minutes or so back then. Am I wrong?

skatingguy

decently
Back in 2017, the local high school held an eclipse viewing event on their football field. Music went from Sounds of Silence (Hello darkness my old friend) to Here Comes the Sun pretty quickly. I seemed to recall that the whole event was only about 10 minutes or so back then. Am I wrong?
No, that's about right. It might take about an hour for the whole eclipse from start to finish, but the moment of totality only last a few minutes at most.

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
We weren't in the path of totality at my work (we got about 99% I think) but the HR dept gave out glasses to everyone this morning and actually sent out a scheduled meeting around the right time so we could take a break and go outside to see it. I went outside with our temp (the other girls watched from inside....we have huge windows out front that they watched through) and it was SOOO cool. We discovered that you could see the eclipse in the sun's reflection off the cars when you looked with the glasses which was pretty sweet. We watched everything for a good half hour, including when our max coverage started which got so dark all our outside work lights came on, and it was just so fascinating to see how the atmosphere and skies changed as the sun got covered up (I took a video and posted it over on my IG if anyone is interested). Very fun and cool experience! :cool:

BTW-I'm anxious to talk to one of my coworkers who took today off and went to IN with a group of friends to see the eclipse from an area that got totality. I hope she got some good pictures! :cheer:

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
Over 1 billion views! 😱
I wasn't thinking about that song when it became dark here. I was thinking about Matt Damon and The Martian. I listened instead to Starman by the awesome wonderful David Bowie. I hope he was watching from the heavens. ❤️

Cachoo

I wasn't thinking about that song when it became dark here. I was thinking about Matt Damon and The Martian. I listened instead to Starman by the awesome wonderful David Bowie. I hope he was watching from the heavens. ❤️

Aw Ziggy Stardust....well the sun is our star after all...

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information