Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir : Just For Us # 45

pani

Post-FD interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_e5au1Lm1c
Awe, Tessa and Scott look disappointed with their performance but they said that they're going to keep refining the program. You can tell how much they love this FD so there's no doubt they're going to make this program even better. I'm curious to see what changes will be made when we see them again at Skate Canada :)
They look guilty. Like choreo is great, but they couldn't show coaches and choreographers work in best light.
I think they just need to work, work, work and Marie-France, please, pay attention to the overall team image (I mean Scott haircut and his costumes) and look, how better they looked in FD in practice outfit.
I think the second part will be look different if they will add more speed and power. And FD will look different if they will use another outfit, even if Tessa have beautifull red dress.
As for lifts.... Judges love old more, then new. It's all about this judging system.

sap5

I thought the FD was well skated. The issue I'm having is that if you aren't familiar with the movie, this FD is confusing. You can see that there's a tension between the two partners in the beginning, but how did they get to the love story in the second half? And the "death" seems to come completely out of nowhere. It might help if that is somehow foreshadowed earlier in the choreography so that it makes sense to see it at the end.

As for the costumes, I like both the blue and the red, but for me the red works for both halves of the program while the blue is great for the first half, but I'm not so sure about the second half. I don't think either of Scott's costumes work. Maybe a simple white button down with sleeves rolled up and black pants? Suspenders?

Last edited:

Shayii

yes, in the original song https://youtu.be/-YsMvzgeSuI?t=272 it does not end with all that slow music, it ended in a climax, they should use it, we all will understand that she died.
The version of Come What May is actually from the Moulin Rouge 2 soundtrack. But listen to the last 40 or so seconds it's so powerful (there has to be a reason the soundtrack itself doesn't end with the soft music right?). That's what I envision the ending should be I get goosebumps just thinking about it. I don't think the dying one they have now will do. They chose MR for a reason--crowd pleaser, accessible vehicle so it doesn't make sense to me why end it so soft it kind of fizzles out. Sorry, I'm sort of rambling, but this is what I think. I hope this doesn't come across too negatively because I do feel bad they're already so hard on themselves.

MarieM

Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover
I still wish they had "Show must go on" to the mix, to tie both programs into one. I still wish they'd keep only the tango up to the end but I still have the first half ;)

sap5

The death choreography is quite beautiful so I hesitate to say it, but I'm wondering if the program needs to end with the death? Choreographically, this program is really difficult. In the beginning, Scott needs to show that he wants to be with Tessa; and Tessa needs to show that she wants to be with him but something is keeping her from doing so. Then that something goes away in the second half, but then a new obstacle enters that results in the sad ending. That's a lot to cover in 4 minutes.

VarBar

I won't dwell on Tessa's dress and Scott's shirt because I don't think it's their final costumes.

They didn't sweep me off my feet in yesterday's performance. Scott went all out but it didn't feel authentic most likely because Tessa didn't quite respond to his sentiment, I thought. Then I felt they were kind of holding back speed and power wise for fear they might hit the boards. Is the Autumn Classic rink smaller than other rinks?

But I love the choreography, the program flows seamlessly from the beginning to the end and there's so many layers to it. The ending looks kind of strange though, it's like someone suddenly turned off the music on them and a few notes were missing. I would try to change that if I were them.

Overall it however was well skated for their first outing and the technical score was encouraging. Much better than last year this time.

Thank you to martyross for all the links she's been providing.:respec:

elisa_p

Finally saw the FD and that tango is everything! However I do think the program needs a few refinements. This is def one of those programs where they really need to be in it 100% because anything else is going to fall flat. I think they know this as well and constructed it to have that kind of impact on a Olympic stage which they didn't get to have with their last Olympic program.
I do think they will get there though. All their programs has been such a WIP till they get a lot of mileage on them. Their 2010 OD comes to mind because I did not know what was going on with that when they debuted it but it turned into one of my fav V/M programs and performances ever. I have a feeling they're going to nail this come Feb.

dramagrrl

I really hate most of the Moulin Rouge soundtrack (Tango de Roxanne, especially, makes me grit my teeth), but I kind of wish Your Song had been part of this program. And given how much I dislike the music in itself, this program works surprisingly well for me so far.

Emdee

I thought the FD was well skated. The issue I'm having is that if you aren't familiar with the movie, this FD is confusing. You can see that there's a tension between the two partners in the beginning, but how did they get to the love story in the second half? And the "death" seems to come completely out of nowhere. It might help if that is somehow foreshadowed earlier in the choreography so that it makes sense to see it at the end.

As for the costumes, I like both the blue and the red, but for me the red works for both halves of the program while the blue is great for the first half, but I'm not so sure about the second half. I don't think either of Scott's costumes work. Maybe a simple white button down with sleeves rolled up and black pants? Suspenders?
I have never seen Moulin Rouge but the progression of the program worked for me. I think with greater speed and connection it will improve.

Regardless, I will stand by them. It is their last competition program and they should do what they want.

MarieM

Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover
I think I understand why they sticked with Roxanne&Come What May. Because it's movie acurate. I wish her dress was less simple in some ways but I'm not sure it'd go well with what they are doing.
Red is the right color IMO of course.

I love the tango part. It's just about everything I ever wanted them to achieve in a FD. I still have to get used to the second part though.

sap5

They best thing about this FD is that they love it. It's so much easier to focus on something and make it work when you love it so much.

ETA: not getting all the concern about recycled lifts? As far as I can tell, only 1 lift is really the same as before (in the SD). All the others have variations to them. Why are other teams allowed to do exactly the same lifts year after year but if V/M do one that is only half same, it's an outrage?

Last edited:

CatherineC

I have a question. Are the last instrumental ~20 seconds of the FD also from the soundtrack or is that again some especially composed piece for them?

IoanaC

I have a question. Are the last instrumental ~20 seconds of the FD also from the soundtrack or is that again some especially composed piece for them?

The ending is from a remix version of Come What May, included in the soundtrack.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
It seems some fans are very honest with them directly in her instagram.

I don't think all those comments are from fans. Some of the shit people think is appropriate to say on skaters instagram accounts. I've seen it on Tessa's and Gabi's, am sure it happens to others as well but I pay more attention to these two.

As for the rest, constructive criticism is generally good and can be helpful. But should also be realistic ie...they aren't going to change a program theme at this stage so suggesting that probably isn't helpful :p

chapis

I don't think all those comments are from fans. Some of the shit people think is appropriate to say on skaters instagram accounts. I've seen it on Tessa's and Gabi's, am sure it happens to others as well but I pay more attention to these two.

As for the rest, constructive criticism is generally good and can be helpful. But should also be realistic ie...they aren't going to change a program theme at this stage so suggesting that probably isn't helpful :p

I was surprised because I never see that kind of commentaries on Maia and Alex's accounts. I thought maybe they were real fans because they say it in a rather respectful whole in my opinion, but still I was surprised because even when the Shibs skated the super boring program The Blue Danube and I was so angry and about to go to burn Canton and Marina, I just managed to write on their accounts "Congratulations", :lol:.

Last edited:

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
I think it will happen more to skaters who are seen as major threats so I understand why these two would be more of a target than others. I rarely read any fan criticism, if any, in Shibutani thread here on FSU so not surprised fans will be even less inspired to say something on their instagram account. In contrast this thread reads more like a competition thread in times like this and PC thread will also take hits.

irena

I did not like the music of MR very much when listening to it, I hated the vocal of Roxanne, but when I saw their FD I loved the music and even the vocal feels right. I almost have the feeling that it is not the music helping them but they are helping the music. The tango part is to die for, sharp, strong, dramatic. I dreamt to see smth powerful as Carmen and the first part is exactly on point. I love, love, love how the twizzels are incorporated into the music and correspond to every beat. I have issues with the ending. In my opinion it lacks smth, must be more emotional and heartbreaking, it really must make the audience cry. I hope they change it somehow. About the costumes, it is obvious that they copy the costumes from the film , but that blue dress is so gorgeaous, it fits Tessa so well and so well fits the tango part, that I almost can not imagine her wearing anything better now. If their Carmen was in black, their Satine could be in blue.

sap5

They've always said that no one puts more pressure on them than themselves. Plus these are 2 people who won an Olympic gold on their first time out, in their home country, after having surgery the year before. Can you imagine the kind of pressure they were under then? Or how about coming back last year to a new world of ice dance, after seeing all the other comebacks flame out?

This is where 20 years of experience comes in really handy.

Shayii

I can´t imagine all the pressure that they must be feeling, people always have such high expectations with them.
VM have passionate fans who feel very invested so I'm not really surprised people are already leaving comments on her account. They were clearly disappointed yesterday (something does happen during the FD I saw it on Tessa's face, but I'm sure what exactly went wrong), but I'm not sure leaving a laundry list of everything that's "wrong" with their program is the best idea right now. Whatever happens I just hope they'll be happy at the end of the day, I can't handle Sochi 2.0.

Alexandria

V/M want to be perfect every time, but even they said that they were satisfied. They skated a relatively clean program and now they can go back and try to perfect it. In a competition like this, their goal is learn what they need to work on and tweak. Fans are silly if they think it's going to be perfect already (although I clicked on one of the critical ig comments and it's an account with no followers, clearly set up to be anonymous and make comments like that - I don't get what motivates someone to do that but whatevs.)

Now that I've watched it a handful of times, the first half is fire and doesn't need much work (other than Scott not grabbing Tessa's arm and messing her up, haha). The 2nd half needs speed and connection that will come over the season. It's like with Umbrellas where I didn't fully get it throughout the season but then boom, they had the speed, abandon, connection, and it was amazing. I think they know what they need to work on now, and that's something you can't always figure out in practice, which is why they do this early comp in the first place.

And sap5, I totally agree about the recycled lifts comments. Everyone else does it with no comment, but I think people are so used to V/M coming up with new lifts that it's just something else they can find to criticize. For me, I don't really care about the lifts because V/M are the whole package, not a series of impressive lifts. The lifts are just part of the whole so I don't need to see something new or particularly cool, just something that fits with the music and story.

Vera Costa

'There's a lot to learn in how to compete this program'- Tessa

I think there's a lot of truth in that statement.

kittysk8ts

(something does happen during the FD I saw it on Tessa's face, but I'm sure what exactly went wrong)

At the end of the tango step sequence, Scott brings down his arm and hits Tessa cutting off her last movement and then they go right into the lift which ended up being a bit botched. To me, it did not mar the program, but it must have unsettling to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information