Skater/Coach sightings & Montreal activities, meet-ups, etc.

Sylvia

TBD
Here's a new thread for our FSU Worlds attendees to post about their skater/coach/other skating people off-ice sightings & other Montreal activities, FSU meet-ups, etc. :)

First one:
... On the way back to the Sheraton I had my first skater sighting. Chan and Howe were getting on the elevator in this hotel. They must be staying here as you have to have a key to get to a floor. Emily was very gracious as I told her how glad I was they are here.

Last edited:

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
We need someone who speaks French to reserve an FSU table at the cafe tomorrow for 12 @fsfann thanka 10.30 am Cafe Amea Sherbrooke st

Debbie S

I saw the Notre Dame Basilica this morning. Beautiful. Plus, a children's choir from Wash DC (National Cathedral) performed some songs/hymns for about 15 min (maybe they are singing in the Mulroney funeral?).

I braved the cold and did some walking around Old Montreal, went down to the port. Had a sandwich at a cafe (there are lots of cute shops and cafes in that area) and now back in my hotel room for a few mins before heading over to the practice rink. I got a weekly pass for the Metro (Opus card)...initially went to a machine, hit the option for English and it gave me French so I bought it from the live (English-speaking) person at the booth. Metro went smoothly but be warned that the subway stations seem to be a camping area for homeless people. Don't step in the puddles. And if you're still a mask-wearer like me, you made a good choice.

Hope to see more FSUers at practices today!

kimkom

I had a co-worker from the UK who was obsessed with those maple cookies. I brought him a box when I was on a work trip, and he ate the whole thing in one day! (I think they're way too sweet.)

I find them too sweet as well, but I buy 5 boxes every week to bring to our local Mission where I volunteer serving coffee, and they go crazy for them.

DH loves them too - at least when he buys them I know I won’t eat them. :lol:

Anemone

So I have some not-so-good news regarding the concessions and arena food. I am in section 104, which is near the set of restaurants in the downstairs mezzanine or whatever they call it - including the sushi place, hab burger etc. Also the Tim Horton's around section 110 (whatever you think of it, still an easy place for me to get a nice hot tea from). Apparently none of these places are going to be open during any days of the event. Another lady and I happened to reach guest services at the same time and to ask more or less the same. The person we spoke with said if more people asked about it, they'd send a message saying there had been requests for it, and the Tim Horton's might get opened later in the week. But the other restaurants highly unlikely. The other lady asked about where to get a hot tea then, and she was told to go to either Starbucks across the street or MacDonalds up the road, and just to make sure she had her ticket with her for re-entry.
So it seems like whatever concessions were open today may be all there is for the whole week. And from what I saw when I left after pairs practice, most of what little had been open was closed/closing. So looks like there will be almost nothing available after 630/7pm ish.

kimkom

Apparently none of these places are going to be open during any days of the event. Another lady and I happened to reach guest services at the same time and to ask more or less the same. The person we spoke with said if more people asked about it, they'd send a message saying there had been requests for it, and the Tim Horton's might get opened later in the week. But the other restaurants highly unlikely. The other lady asked about where to get a hot tea then, and she was told to go to either Starbucks across the street or MacDonalds up the road, and just to make sure she had her ticket with her for re-entry.
:eek: Thats going to be a nightmare!

4rkidz

There is just the top level of concessions open and the food trucks. The other byward market area restaurants are only open for hockey games not for any other events. They will be open late apparently the top concessions.

jkl

Take another note!😎 there is only one entrance to Centre Bell…other than the subway entrance but they do seem to be well staffed.

Debbie S

There is just the top level of concessions open and the food trucks. The other byward market area restaurants are only open for hockey games not for any other events. They will be open late apparently the top concessions.
So where will the food trucks be? In front of the main entrance?

Usually, arena restaurants are only open during games/main events, and figure skating comps don't qualify, but I've never heard of regular concession stands not opening. This is crazy.

I got some food at the Provigo market tonight but they didn't have a lot of hot food, just soup and friend chicken and french fries. The sandwich i got at the bagel place across from the arena last night was pretty good.

4rkidz

So where will the food trucks be? In front of the main entrance?

Usually, arena restaurants are only open during games/main events, and figure skating comps don't qualify, but I've never heard of regular concession stands not opening. This is crazy.

I got some food at the Provigo market tonight but they didn't have a lot of hot food, just soup and friend chicken and french fries. The sandwich i got at the bagel place across from the arena last night was pretty good.

Cour Rio Tinto right beside the Bell Centre, where food Trucks and activities and big screens will be showing everything. The main concessions will be open it’s the fancy market ones down a level that never open except for hockey games apparently. There are also 40 restaurants within a six block radius I was told so within 15-20 mins.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
I should have packed more canned tuna casseroles (I brought two), but I was getting close to the baggage weight limit lol.

Lara

Bonjour/Hi to everyone at Worlds!
Cour Rio Tinto right beside the Bell Centre, where food Trucks and activities and big screens will be showing everything. The main concessions will be open it’s the fancy market ones down a level that never open except for hockey games apparently. There are also 40 restaurants within a six block radius I was told so within 15-20 mins.

There’s a big stretch of fast-food and some sit down restaurants (many Asian) on Ste-Catherine and Maisonneuve near the Guy-Concordia metro, but that is indeed about a 15min walk. Unfortunately the nice 10C weather we had Friday is gone so not pleasant if there’s any wind.

Gr8Sk8

Maple syrup festival in Verdun (Thurs and Friday nights, Sat and Sun starting at 11). Activities, entertainment, maple flavour menu items. Looks like a lot of fun to fit in before the main events on Sat and Sun.

Metro is very easy - $7 for return ticket - from Bonaventure station next door to the Bell Centre to D'Eglise in Verdun. Look for the big church.

At Wellington and Regina streets - Canadian Hat company - they make hats on site - winter felt hats and summer straw hats available. Open at Noon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information