Skate School Databases

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I have a question about databases used for collecting information about skate schools. Hopefully my question will make sense. I am finding the concept a bit overwhelming and not quite sure where to start.

As I run the national learn to skate program in Australia (Aussie Skate), I am thinking about a national database that will record skaters participating in the learn to skater program at the various rinks around Australia. I am hoping that it could be something the rinks would record skaters' test results in so we can track them nationally. That way when skaters enter competitions we know what test level they are at and the organisers can use this to check them.

If anyone has some information about how they do it I would appreciate it. This is just a start to get some ideas but I am also want to save myself some work by not reinventing a wheel.

mocha-ice

In Canada we mostly use a program called Uplifter. https://www.uplifterinc.com/

Each club has their own site where they can manage registration, emails, and enter badges/levels passed etc… The only thing is the test results stay with the club so if a skater moves and registers with a new club they basically start from zero.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Skate Canada records test results as part of the member's online file. I'm not sure how far back the results go, but the last time I looked, my last dance test from coughalongtimeagocough was listed there.

However, that's all done by membership number, and AFAIK it doesn't record tests/badges outside the formal testing system, like learn-to-skate levels. @Aussie Willy are the kids in learn-to-skate members of Ice Skating Australia?

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Skate Canada records test results as part of the member's online file. I'm not sure how far back the results go, but the last time I looked, my last dance test from coughalongtimeagocough was listed there.

However, that's all done by membership number, and AFAIK it doesn't record tests/badges outside the formal testing system, like learn-to-skate levels. @Aussie Willy are the kids in learn-to-skate members of Ice Skating Australia?
Skaters register nationally with the program for insurance and also to access the App we have for the program. The membership is transferrable from rink to rink. They register once a year.

I do get asked about it so just looking at the logistics of being able to keep track of skaters test levels for when they compete. Plus if we could track test levels of skaters then we can look at trends and the number of skaters moving through the program.

As I said it is a bit overwhelming to consider this so seeking information at this stage. I am currently working on drafting a letter and questionnaire to rinks to see what information I can get to work out the feasibility of it.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
@Aussie Willy For what it's worth, I can see why Skate Canada doesn't track levels that are achieved in learn-to-skate, because some clubs are pretty, um, random about keeping records at that level - other than noting that kids are registered in the program itself. But if there are test levels that are required to compete, that could be recorded nationally using the skater's member number. It would be a pretty big incentive for clubs to keep those records if their skaters couldn't compete because the test result hadn't been submitted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information