Skate Canada Refused to Announce Kerry Leitch's Removal from HoF, Declines to Remove Eisler

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City

Trillian

“It is not currently Skate Canada’s practice to issue a press release when there is a change in status for an individual in the Hall of Fame.”

Considering that they apparently don’t bother removing alleged abusers from the HOF at all most of the time, it might be a little disingenuous to pretend they have an established “practice.”

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
“It is not currently Skate Canada’s practice to issue a press release when there is a change in status for an individual in the Hall of Fame.”

Considering that they apparently don’t bother removing alleged abusers from the HOF at all most of the time, it might be a little disingenuous to pretend they have an established “practice.”

Their practice is to pretend it's not happening....

Trillian

Their practice is to pretend it's not happening....

I was thinking about this the other day (in the context of U.S. skating, but same deal) and realized probably the best case scenario we’re going to get is these organizations don’t ignore abusive coaches going forward. Like, any high level coaching career for Ross Miner is probably DOA, so that’s something. But any misconduct by the gross old people they already revere is going to get swept under the rug until the end of time, because nobody’s ever going to want to have a conversation about what they did to enable an abuser to flourish in the first place.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I was thinking about this the other day (in the context of U.S. skating, but same deal) and realized probably the best case scenario we’re going to get is these organizations don’t ignore abusive coaches going forward. Like, any high level coaching career for Ross Miner is probably DOA, so that’s something. But any misconduct by the gross old people they already revere is going to get swept under the rug until the end of time, because nobody’s ever going to want to have a conversation about what they did to enable an abuser to flourish in the first place.

Which IMO makes it even more difficult to do anything meaningful about younger coaches who are abusive. They can point to older coaches and say, yes, what I did was bad, but this older person did the same thing and you didn't punish them.

Carolla5501

Which IMO makes it even more difficult to do anything meaningful about younger coaches who are abusive. They can point to older coaches and say, yes, what I did was bad, but this older person did the same thing and you didn't punish them.
In Which case somebody needs to tell them that the fourth grade defense of somebody else did it first so it’s OK is not acceptable for an adult.

arakwafan2006

Cancel culture seems to be rampant,” Leitch said. “I was surprised when Skate Canada contacted me. I was given an opportunity to argue why I should not be removed from the Hall of Fame. But the confusing thing is that they knew all about this incident when I was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2014."

that's the comment that got me. On one hand, i'm surprised that HE is surprised. On the other hand, he has a point about them inducting him, knowing full well that he slapped the student... wow

D

Deleted member 221

If he had expressed any remorse over the incident, I would have sympathy. Instead, he invokes "cancel culture." 🤮

Were there charges against him beyond slapping one student in the face? Leitch was honest in admitting the incident, and he's not wrong that this behavior was typical within a certain era. He lost me, though, when he said "he (Leitch) deserved what he got" when he was hit by his own coaches. No, the behavior wasn't OK then, wasn't OK when Leitch did it, and isn't OK now. He doesn't seem to have learned any lesson. I'm also wondering if this was the one well documented incident among several.

I find the charges against Eisler and Richard far more problematic, and I do think it's weird to ban Leitch for slapping a student (which many or even most parents of the time did) but not to ban people who make sexual advances to minors.

Mont

Were there charges against him beyond slapping one student in the face? Leitch was honest in admitting the incident, and he's not wrong that this behavior was typical within a certain era. He lost me, though, when he said "he (Leitch) deserved what he got" when he was hit by his own coaches. No, the behavior wasn't OK then, wasn't OK when Leitch did it, and isn't OK now. He doesn't seem to have learned any lesson. I'm also wondering if this was the one well documented incident among several.

I find the charges against Eisler and Richard far more problematic, and I do think it's weird to ban Leitch for slapping a student (which many or even most parents of the time did) but not to ban people who make sexual advances to minors.
Any investigation into his conduct would find many similar incidents. There's a reason he wasn't inducted until one of his former skaters left Skate Canada.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information