"Simple Gifts" an idea thread

myhoneyhoney

Another easy to make gift: scour thrift/antique/estate sales for pretty teacup and saucer sets. Then go to a craft store, buy candle wax and wicks. Melt the wax, place wick inside cup, and pour wax. Like soap you can add different scents and colors.

Japanfan

And when buying toiletries, it’s good to stick to consumables that the person would have had to buy for the house anyway and will get used, like shower gels & hand washes and avoid the shelf cloggers like body cream and bath salts.

I totally agree. I don't use any of that bath/shower stuff in any case, so it just sits around forever as clutter until I finally throw it out.

However, I having really appreciated getting gifts of soap in the past, as I got so much of it I haven't had to buy it in a very long time.

Far too much body cream is given for gifts IMO. I don't use much cream, so it just sits around like the bath/shower stuff.

KatieC

Just a caution with home made treats. People don't always like, have allergies, have medical conditions that affect their food intake, and either don't eat them or give them to someone else.
People usually ask me for the nuts and bolts so I figure they must be okay with peanuts. Everybody picks out their favourite parts. And last year I made it without the nuts for a friend is allergic. I bought some new pans so no cross contamination.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
People usually ask me for the nuts and bolts so I figure they must be okay with peanuts. Everybody picks out their favourite parts. And last year I made it without the nuts for a friend is allergic. I bought some new pans so no cross contamination.
As a grandma of a child with life threatening peanut allergy and a cousin to a child with life threatening nut (all nuts) allergy, I thank you for the separate cooking/baking pans.

Japanfan

People usually ask me for the nuts and bolts so I figure they must be okay with peanuts.

How exactly do you make nuts and bolts? I've never actually considered that a person could do it, as opposed to a factory.

KatieC

How exactly do you make nuts and bolts? I've never actually considered that a person could do it, as opposed to a factory.
Two roasting pans (I use a pan and it's similar sized lid)
Add cheerios
shreddies
cheese bits
pretzels
peanuts (I used salted)
any other cereal you like and think appropriate

2 cups of oil (I use canola)
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp garlic salt
1 tbsp seasoned salt

mix up the cereals, blend the salts & oil, add the two together stirring quickly. Bake in 250 degree oven for two hours - stirring every 20 minutes. Don't forget this step, the cereal can burn if you don't stir it. This makes a big batch.

Sarah

Just a caution with home made treats. People don't always like, have allergies, have medical conditions that affect their food intake, and either don't eat them or give them to someone else.

This is a really good point! I think with the cookies I'm going to give as my obligation gift to 2 coworkers, I might just include a note that says something about feel free to enjoy yourself or share with the office so that they know I have no issue with them not eating the cookies themselves. Life would just be easier if I didn't need to exchange gifts withe people I don't know (hence the the obligation gift)! But that's another thread...

KCC

My old neighborhood ladies group used to exchange Christmas ornaments. They are small, don't need to be displayed all year (so no one is decorating someone else's home), and can be home made or store bought. With more effort, their theme can be customized a bit, if desired, with references to one's hobbies, interests, work, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information