"Simple Gifts" an idea thread

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
With the Holiday season already upon us, I thought it would be nice if we traded tips on:

*small gifts
*gifts for large groups of people (co-workers, classmates, etc.)
*gift ideas for seniors/shut ins/others with physical limitations
*easy homemade gifts (but the with overachievers on this board...who knows :) )

I have no ideas, beyond baking treats :) , so that's why I started this thread!

Jot the Dot Dot

Headstrong Buzzard
Might make them a custom made calendar, if you have a color printer. Go to https://incompetech.com/beta/cal-monthly/ . Did that for siblings, making a Grand Funk Railroad calendar for my sister, and a Rob Gonsalvez one for my brother. Or, make DVDs from YouTube. It's rather laborious, but if you have both a DVD player and a DVD recorder, get the APP YouTube Downloader, and get several YouTube programs your friends/family will enjoy (for my Auntee Dee, it's always British sitcoms!). Burn them onto a DVD-RW and put that in your DVD player. Play it into your DVD Recorder onto a DVD-R, and do this over and over until you have the disc filled with (for example) Wallace & Gromit , then finalize it. You can then make a cover for it if you have a printer, and DVD cases are easily available at various stores like Staples.

I know, laborious, but Auntee Dee loves them. And she admits to being useless with computers, so it fills in a gap in her entertainment life!

Japanfan

A friend gave me a bottle of balsamic vinegar with truffles - truffle balsamico, in a cute bottle. A gift of an 'exotic' food like that is a good idea for someone who likes to cook. A lot of people don't tend to get to specialty food shops and buy items like truffle oil, which adds a wonderful flavor to foods such as risotto.

And of course a nice bottle of wine or sherry or whiskey or whatever is always appreciated by someone who enjoys alcohol. And booze doesn't go bad. If you can afford more than the cheapest kind, it is doubly appreciated.

Spun Silver

A friend gave me a bottle of balsamic vinegar with truffles - truffle balsamico, in a cute bottle. A gift of an 'exotic' food like that is a good idea for someone who likes to cook. A lot of people don't tend to get to specialty food shops and buy items like truffle oil, which adds a wonderful flavor to foods such as risotto.

And of course a nice bottle of wine or sherry or whiskey or whatever is always appreciated by someone who enjoys alcohol. And booze doesn't go bad. If you can afford more than the cheapest kind, it is doubly appreciated.
Speaking of wine, I just discovered Prosecco. We got the superfino type or something like that (very dry). It is poor man’s champagne, but since it doesnt pretend to be champagne, it wouldnt be an obviously cheap gift like budget champagne... but it is ($9.99). I dont have much of a palette but I really couldnt tell the difference from champagne. It pops and has bubbles and the taste is very similar (to me). I immediately thought, Perfect gift!

ETA: Another idea that would work for some people - a collection of jokes. I recently collected 70 for someone’s 70th birthday. It took me about an hour to assemble them from various internet sources and about 90 mins to format, print and staple them. I didnt think much of it, but to my surprise everyone at the party looked at them and read jokes out loud to each other.

icie

Keeping up appearances
I've given homemade vanilla extract in small bottles that were well received.

eta - homemade Limoncello was also a hit as a gift.

millyskate

Coffee table books are often my go-to gift. Something about a secondary area of interest to the person. For young couples, a wine dictionnary often goes down well. It’s not really a small gift though.

For coworkers, I try to get something small and personal - chocolates in a starwars box for the starwars obssessed, a small book of cartoons about what your cat does when you’re not looking for the cat person etc
Coworkers are so used to generic stuff like vouchers that they like the thought even if the gift itself is really small.

Taking the time to pick out a nice card and write something thoughtful is always nice too.

For seniors, again books about places they used to live, dvds they can watch, and homemade albums with pictures about a certain chapter of their lives...

For those of my fashion conscious friends who are always getting perfume, jewlery and clothes from entourage, I often find that stylish cooking utensils go down well.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
Until this year, when we are trying to downsize, I never understood my mom and dad's insistence of no gifts. Reading through the thread makes me realize the gifts I might want are donation to my favorite charity.

But that's not necessarily what you asked.
If you live in colder environments, some non scented hand cream for those with allergies or scent sensitive people, lip balm.

If someone still writes notes or letters, handmade cards and envelopes.

I recently got a phone/tablet holder for less than $8 not this one but similar https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0719WPJMJ/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1

A portable battery to charge phones or tablet.

moebius

Until this year, when we are trying to downsize, I never understood my mom and dad's insistence of no gifts.
I think the best gift is the gift of time, meaning spending time with the ones you don't see very often. I don't understand why people keep giving me gifts when I told them no gifts. Maybe they feel like they're obligated to. If you want to give me a gift, then money would be the best as I can spend it with whatever I want or a homemade meal. Since my family don't really see any value in gift giving as we end up giving each other stuff we don't really want or need and exchanging money with each other is senseless, we just decide not to give each other gifts. I don't think I've ever gotten a gift I really liked as an adult. I don't know if most people like the gifts that they receive, but if not, they probably end up in the garbage which is not good for the environment. Hopefully they get donated or re-gifted (I know that's not cool, but it's better than throwing it away. Maybe there's a chance the other person will like it or give it to someone else who likes it or donate it). Retail stores probably benefits the most from gift giving as it forces people to buy stuff that probably the other person doesn't want or need.

Anemone

When it comes to coworkers, I've found that where I work now, the easiest and best is to bring in a tray of baking. Everyone enjoys the treats as much or as little as they like, and no one has anything to take home they don't want/need. I did do the kitchen whisks filled with hershey kisses on year (lots of samples online) and they were well received. I do have one or two colleagues that I am closer to and have given gifts like seasonal earrings or ornaments, but they were ones that I knew in advance would want/appreciate such an item.
Within my family we exchange wish lists that we use for occasion shopping all year. While we may not necessarily buy the exact item on the list, it does help in choosing things you know the person will like.
For my parents, grandparents etc we tend to stick to consumables/experiences. We've bought my parents tickets to concerts, a sporting event they would enjoy, gift certificate for dinner at a nice restaurant etc. My grandfather loves old cheese, black licorice and a certain type of word puzzle, so I stick to buying those things.

Japanfan

I don't understand why people keep giving me gifts when I told them no gifts. Maybe they feel like they're obligated to.

I've made it very clear to a friend that I don't want any more paper in my place, not books, or not newspapers articles (which she used to clip for me).

I recently had a birthday and what did she do? Got me three books, two of which are heading straight to the recycler.

Since my family don't really see any value in gift giving as we end up giving each other stuff we don't really want or need and exchanging money with each other is senseless, we just decide not to give each other gifts. I don't think I've ever gotten a gift I really liked as an adult. I don't know if most people like the gifts that they receive, but if not, they probably end up in the garbage which is not good for the environment. Hopefully they get donated or re-gifted (I know that's not cool, but it's better than throwing it away.

I can see giving someone a special gift that has meaning to them (Mr. Japanfan got tickets to Cirque du Soleil for my birthday), but so many gifts are just stuff people don't want or need. Appliance-type gifts are example. I got one of those little cleaning appliances that squirt steam a few years ago. I exactly liked it, but just didn't have room for it - we live in a small space - so out it went.

Espresso makers are an example of a gift that is often given but often not wanted. This is know because we use espresso makers, and have never yet had to buy one new. Mr. Japanfan has loaded up on them at Value Village, and whenever one breaks, he just goes to the garage and brings up another.

manhn

When I visit my nephews and nieces, I give them cash. But the card says that they can keep the cash for themselves, or donate a portion or all of it to a charity. I give them 3 charities to choose from, and one of their own choosing. Whatever amount they donate, I will match. When figuring out charitable organisations, I try to find ones that are local to them, ie. An animal shelter. It worked out quite well a couples years back when I went to California. I will do it again when I go to Portland.

Skate Talker

I don't think I've ever gotten a gift I really liked as an adult. I don't know if most people like the gifts that they receive, but if not, they probably end up in the garbage which is not good for the environment. Hopefully they get donated or re-gifted (I know that's not cool, but it's better than throwing it away. Maybe there's a chance the other person will like it or give it to someone else who likes it or donate it). Retail stores probably benefits the most from gift giving as it forces people to buy stuff that probably the other person doesn't want or need.
The last few years I seem to have started feeling this way a lot. I think mostly I am most disappointed with my ability to find things I am happy about giving to the people on my list. The best Christmas I ever had as an adult was the first one after I started working. I had so many ideas built up for everyone and for once I actually had the funds to get them. Ah those were the days.

When I visit my nephews and nieces, I give them cash. But the card says that they can keep the cash for themselves, or donate a portion or all of it to a charity. I give them 3 charities to choose from, and one of their own choosing. Whatever amount they donate, I will match. When figuring out charitable organisations, I try to find ones that are local to them, ie. An animal shelter. It worked out quite well a couples years back when I went to California. I will do it again when I go to Portland.

I love this idea. I may steal it for my teenage nephew.

acraven

If you have someone on your list who still mails cards and letters, stamps are an easy gift that will usually be appreciated. It's like giving money, but more subtle.

I need hostess gifts for the same two people every year. Fortunately for me, they seem very happy with the fancy chocolates I can buy from a local artisan chocolatier. As a non-drinker I do not feel competent at picking out alcoholic beverages for others, but I do know good chocolate.

The best gift-giving suggestion I every read for recipients you don't know super-well was to concentrate on quality rather than quantity. One example given was an antique sterling-silver thimble for someone who likes to sew; I thought that was a clever idea. That concept aligns with a lot of the ideas others have offered here, like fancy spices.

millyskate

One if the things I find works in an office environment is to have on my desk a box of gender neutral, occasion neutral cards (ie landscapes) so I can be reactive when someone has a birthday, bereavement, illness or promotion. One can write something thoughtful to make it appropriate.

The quality over quantity is a very good point.
And when buying toiletries, it’s good to stick to consumables that the person would have had to buy for the house anyway and will get used, like shower gels & hand washes and avoid the shelf cloggers like body cream and bath salts.
If the person has a bird table fancy supplies are a great idea because they’re also consumables and will save the person buying them for a couple of weeks.

If a person is planning a trip, I sometimes get them a guide to the place.

PS: a life lesson I learnt, with posh people you’re worried about buying for >>> orchids are the answer. That or a Chanel no5 soap bar :lol: for a birthday treat to a female friend.

Last edited:

quartz

scratching at the light
I mostly only buy gifts for my immediate family. We generally do events - tickets for sporting events, shows, concerts or gift cards for restaurants and movies - experiences we can all share together.
For really simple gifts, we do edibles - chocolate, nuts, fancy cheeses and crackers, alcohol, pastries and baked goods.
We all tend to buy our own stuff when we need stuff, so generally nobody ever needs stuff, because we have already bought it. :D

TheGirlCanSkate

Last year, for coworkers, I found mini holiday containers and filled them with candied pecans I made. I think those were the most fun to make and give. I think this year I will make a holiday cookies. I don't know if I will make one large decorated cookie for each person or if I will make a tray/basket with a card for everyone on the counter. If I do the counter idea I might just make biscotti and get a fancy bag of coffee too.

KCC

I sometimes make this breakfast granola recipe for people I know (whose digestive systems can handle nuts and oats), and they tell me that they really enjoy it on winter mornings. It is not cheap to make, and you want to package it well so that it does not harden into a brick.

8 cups oats
2 cups sunflower seeds
2 cups walnuts
2 cups sliced almonds
2 cups coconut (I always leave out the coconut)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup veg oil
2 cups honey
8 tablespoons cinnamon
4 tablespoons ground cloves
4 tablespoons nutmeg
2 tablespoons almond extract

Mix dry ingredients. Add oil and honey and mix by hand to distribute evenly. Place on baking sheets and bake at 350 until starting to brown, about 10-15 minutes. Store in airtight container, cool & dry. Will last 3-4 weeks and makes 5-6 pounds.

Spun Silver

millyskate said:
PS: a life lesson I learnt, with posh people you’re worried about buying for >>> orchids are the answer. That or a Chanel no5 soap bar :lol: for a birthday treat to a female friend.

Ooh, I have a friend who would love a Chanel no. 5 bar. I didnt know it existed! Thank you!

TheGirlCanSkate

I make Nuts and Bolts every year, plus the last two years I made homemade marshmallow. Both are well received. Some great ideas here.
I had a coworker who made that for everyone, we loved it! She passed away, but we all remember her fun gift that always hit the spot when we found ourselves working OT and needing a snack.

BittyBug

Disgusted
I tend to go with consumables - fruit basket (fresh or dried), nut assortment, chocolate, cookies, wine. It won't take up space for long and it's easy to donate if it's not a good fit.

myhoneyhoney

My go to simple gifts: home baked goods / candies and home made soaps.

For the baked goods, it’s usually biscotti or cookies. I also make different chocolate covered nuts or fudge.

For the soaps I order a big container of unscented liquid soap along with some fragrance oils. Mix, pour into pretty bottles, and you’re set. Sometimes I get a big chunk of melt and pour soap. Melt it, add in some additives like essential oils/color/decorations, pour in molds, let it harden, then wrap in pretty paper with simple ribbon.

Last edited:

once_upon

Better off than 2020
Just a caution with home made treats. People don't always like, have allergies, have medical conditions that affect their food intake, and either don't eat them or give them to someone else.

I have a group of friends that exchange Christmas gifts - small ones. One of them gives small jars of homemade salsa, apple butter, and cinnamon apples. I don't want to hurt her feelings, but I really don't like the cinnamon apples and the salsa is too sweet for my husband's taste. We eat some of the apple butter. So I don't say anything other than thank you.

I'll make a trip to the container store and find something unique. But it will be over our small amount consideration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information