Scandinavian skater's news thread

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
His SB from Warsaw Cup 2016 was 228.97.

Only 19 Men have ever scored 260 or above:
http://www.isuresults.com/isujsstat/pbsmto.htm

ETA: #18 at 2017 Worlds (Brezina) scored 226.26 #18 at 2016 Worlds (Kovtun) scored 210.14. #18 at 2015 Worlds (Besseghier) scored 199.86. All of these scores are within Majorov's reach.

What is the Swedish Olympic Committee smoking?

Last edited:

seabm7

Last edited:

MissIzzy

..and we officially need to know what standards Sweden is demanding of its ladies. Unless Algotsson blows it tomorrow there's going to be a berth there.

S

SmallFairy

..and we officially need to know what standards Sweden is demanding of its ladies. Unless Algotsson blows it tomorrow there's going to be a berth there.

I hope they let Mathilda go on the "young talent"-quota, or what it was called in the past. I don't know about the standards, maybe they are stricter on Majorov as he's not send to OG to "learn and experience" anymore? (About Joshi...I don't know if she can regain her form, or meet the criteria, because I guess she's in the Majorov category here....)

S

SmallFairy

SkateSweden writes the following on the webpage:
"To be selected to represent Sweden in the OG by the Swedish Olympic Committee the figure skaters need to meet the Swedish selection criterias - result and skating for level of top-eight on selected competitions like Grand Prix and the Challenger series during autumn".

So, do you have to finish top eight, or just on the level of top eight, like, if your score is really close? It doesn't say anything about specific numbers. So, Nebelhorn is a Challenger? Results looking good. Matilda was 9th at Lombardia, almost tied with the 8th place finisher. She's had a good start to the season....

jiejie

I can't imagine why the Swedish O.C. would set a Men's requirement of 260 as a condition of going to the Olympics. Agree with @kwanfan after looking at the ISU's Statistics on personal bests, out of the 19 men that have achieved that score, only 14 of those men are still active in eligible skating, and even fewer than those 14 hit that number regularly. Did the Swedish Skating Federation not have any sane input into the Swedish Olympic Committee's requirements for the sport?

Sylvia

TBD
"To be selected to represent Sweden in the OG by the Swedish Olympic Committee the figure skaters need to meet the Swedish selection criterias - result and skating for level of top-eight on selected competitions like Grand Prix and the Challenger series during autumn".
Link: http://skatesweden.se/sv/alexander-majorov-sakrade-en-os-plats-for-sverige-ikvall/
So, Nebelhorn is a Challenger?
Yes.

Seerek

So, do you have to finish top eight, or just on the level of top eight, like, if your score is really close?

I interpret the language above somewhat differently, more along the lines of..."skate to the standard of a Worlds top 8 skater either at the Grand Prix and/or Challenger Series".

So in the case of Majorov, he (using my interpretation) would have to perform on par with Mikhail Kolyada, who was the 8th place finisher at 2017 Worlds (whose total score at that event was right at that 260 mark as has been referenced already).

S

SmallFairy

I hope Matilda and Alexander get to go! They both did really well at Nebelhorn, Matilda won the FS and finished second with narrow margin 0.44:p Alexander got bronze. Sweden even got silver in the team event.

Matilda says:
"It feels great to be given this chance and to prove that I was the right choice to secure an Olympic spot for Sweden. I'm both relived and happy"

Alexander says:
"To secure an Olympic spot for Sweden feels crazy good. It was the first and most important step stone this season. Now I'm fully focused towards the next goal. The main goal is of course to represent Sweden in Pyeongchang"

www.skatesweden.se

S

SmallFairy

Norway will not have a figure skater in Korea. To be honest, Sondre maybe didn't have the content to make it without the 3a, but he showed two really good programs, with lots of expression and good jumps.

Anne Line was in a really good position after the SP but melted down in the FP:(:( She fell four times, but kept fighting, she went for everything. Her program is really beautiful, hope to see it skated to its potential!

I just saw Anne Line on the news, and my heart broke for her, she was so disappointed. Fight back girl!! :respec:

DimaToe

Retired by Frank Carroll
The Swedish Fed. Is on the wrong type of drugs. Majorov’s personal best is just under 230 points. Just because he isn’t winning the big medals doesn’t mean he isn’t a skater worthy of sending to the Olympic Games. He was after all the only Scandinavian male skater to qualify an Olympic spot, not only that but he has already gone through so much yet he continues skating at a high enough level to qualify for the Olympics. Weird rules like these is how you hinder the growth of a program not help it grow.

npavel

As I red it in swedish, I got that they have to be top 8 in one competition in GP or Challenger series. As one of them was 2:nd and the other 3:rd at Nebelhorn Trophy, they might need to do it one more time. And for the record, Sweden has always sent their skaters when they got to go

Elka

As I red it in swedish, I got that they have to be top 8 in one competition in GP or Challenger series. As one of them was 2:nd and the other 3:rd at Nebelhorn Trophy, they might need to do it one more time. And for the record, Sweden has always sent their skaters when they got to go
That is not how I understood it. "They have to be top 8 level" in one competition. That top 8 level (in the world) is obviously determined by what the skater finishing 8th at worlds in Helsinki had, so Alexander has the requirement of 260 points and for the lady it would be aroung 192. I hope they do reconsider.

ETA: as Seerek said it earlier in this thread

nimi

Probably not everybody here has read the Absolute Skating article (thank you Lis for the link!) where the 260 points came up, so here's what Majorov said:
I not only have to be at my best for the Nebelhorn Trophy, but for at least 3 other competitions before the European Championships. This is so I can go after the points the Swedish Olympic committee set as a requirement to participate in the Olympic Games. (...) After Oberstdorf I normally would have slowed down somewhat and started getting ready for Euros. But if I do qualify for the Olympics now I can't slow down because I have to show high points at several events. The risk of getting burned out or injured on your way to achieving those points is very real when you go full speed for 6 months. It's really dangerous.

So what exactly are the Swedish Olympic Committee's requirements?

A minimum of 260 points. Before my first Olympic Games the minimum was to place 18th at Worlds.

When did you find out about the points required?

After Worlds in Helsinki. I did ask them a long time ago, but never got an answer. It was extremely hard not knowing. I wanted to know the exact deal and have it in writing, and I finally got it after Worlds. This time it's not about placement, but points achieved at either Challenger, Grand Prix or Euros that count. So I will either get dropped from the Swedish committee's program already after the Nebelhorn Trophy or after Euros, or after the free program at the Olympics. It's a raw deal but it's good to be aware so you're not suddenly in shock. I have a plan now and know exactly what to do and when, if it happens.

Lis

your welcome nimi :)
yes its not a typo he really needs 260 points. As the interview says he has it in writing!
If he would have been top 8 at Worlds then SOK would let him go now after getting a spot for Sweden at NT next is to get those points...:mad::angryfire

S

SmallFairy

What a mess, sort of...(though it's supposed to be clear now...) And unfortunately Sweden does not always send their skaters, even if they are qualified. I think in 2002 both Kristoffer Berntsson and Åsa Persson qualified at Nebelhorn, but had to stay at home. I remember the Swedish commentator Roger Blomqvist was furious. Kristoffer was allowed to go in 2006 though...

Seerek

And for the record, Sweden has always sent their skaters when they got to go

This does bring up whether Sweden did have a substitute named for Lina Johannson back in 2006 after Lina was injured and could not compete in Torino (either of the Nylander sisters?).

S

SmallFairy

And as I wrote upthread, SOC has in the past let skaters go to OG because they are considered "young and talented", so, to gain experience, or something like that. Hope they will think that way about Matilda now.

DimaToe

Retired by Frank Carroll
The Russian Fed should’ve been more considerate and held the Mordovian Ornament again to help Majorov reach that 260 :shuffle:

Hopefully he ends up at a competition with crazy inflated scoring.

turquoiseblue

Probably not everybody here has read the Absolute Skating article (thank you Lis for the link!) where the 260 points came up, so here's what Majorov said:

The article has been edited, and it now says 258 points...
So what exactly are the Swedish Olympic Committee's requirements?

A minimum of 258 points. Before my first Olympic Games the minimum was to place 18th at Worlds.

Veronica

260 points for Majorov ... that's crasy. And how much for ladies?

This would be nice to know, and also which ladies are competing for the Olympic spot. Apart from Helgesson and Algotsson Anita Östlund is probably considered, and maybe Isabelle Olsson.

Kelvster

So is there still any chance for Joshi to make it to the Olympics? Or is it the end of the career for her :(

sus2850

This is so strange considering how scores go up over the season. Worlds is usually overscored, I think, to give the illusion of skaters getting better and better.
I hope his federation will reconsider. Or maybe scores will go up for Europeans already this season. Good that he is in high spirits though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information