Royalty Thread #7: Do They Get Frequent Flier Miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aftershocks

Banned Member
… I know they are probably angry with Meghan and her mother as their father left his first wife for Meghan's mother but still...

I agree with your views about the older Markle siblings. However, from what I've read regarding Tom Sr and his first wife, Roslyn, they married quite young in the 1960s. Sometime after their two children were born, Tom Sr left and made his way to California, where he eventually became a lighting director. At some point, Roslyn and Tom Sr were divorced. Tom Sr first met Doria Ragland in the late 1970s when he was a crew member on the set of General Hospital, and she was a make-up artist. Doria was about 23, and Tom Sr was about 9 or 10 years older than her. According to Meghan, her parents shared a love for antiques in addition to their show business connection.

The main point is that Tom Sr did not leave his first wife for Doria. But obviously it must have rankled the nearly adult Tom Jr and Samantha to see their father's adoration for and attentive nurturing of young Meghan, especially in light of the fact that he'd abandoned them when they were young. Apparently, Tom Sr wasn't ready to take on fathering responsibilities as a very young man. As well, there have been reports of prejudiced views by members of the Markle side of the family directed toward Doria and Meghan in the early years of Tom Sr's and Doria's marriage.

Clarence was last used as a joint designation of Clarence and Avondale and given to Edward VII eldest son - Albert Victor - who died as a young man but who also had some scandal associated with him so I doubt it would be revived for Harry. Cumberland I and many others would just associate with sausages and could leave the holder open to all sorts of cruel jokes - especially if they happened to gain weight!!!!

Sussex is a good solid name and I think would be a good title to give Harry.

I like the ring of Clarence, Albany, and Sussex. As you point out, there are some negative associations with the previous owner of the Clarence title that are still fairly recent (approx 100 years ago). So that is a strike against that otherwise noble title being used anytime soon. It's also the name of Prince Charles' current residence, and former home of the Queen Mother.

The Cumberland and Albany titles are currently in abeyance. Those titles had been held by descendants of Queen Victoria who became German nationals, thus during WWI the titles were taken from the holders. (Specific names and details are in the historical record). Descendants of the former Cumberland and Albany title holders have a claim to the titles. Meanwhile, those titles remain in abeyance and thus, unavailable.

The Sussex title is very much available and has been reported as being Prince Harry's preference. However, Queen Elizabeth could decide to create a new title for him. I think Sussex is very appropriate though for Meghan and Harry. :D

Last edited:

Lorac

I agree with your views about the older Markle siblings. However, from what I've read regarding Tom Sr and his first wife, Roslyn, they married quite young in the 1960s. Sometime after their two children were born, Tom Sr left and made his way to California, where he eventually became a lighting director. At some point, Roslyn and Tom Sr were divorced. Tom Sr first met Doria Ragland in the late 1970s when he was a crew member on the set of General Hospital, and she was a make-up artist. Doria was about 23, and Tom Sr was about 9 or 10 years older than her. According to Meghan, her parents shared a love for antiques in addition to their show business connection.

The main point is that Tom Sr did not leave his first wife for Doria. But obviously it must have rankled the nearly adult Tom Jr and Samantha to see their father's adoration for and attentive nurturing of young Meghan, especially in light of the fact that he'd abandoned them when they were young. Apparently, Tom Sr wasn't ready to take on fathering responsibilities as a very young man. As well, there have been reports of prejudiced views by members of the Markle side of the family directed toward Doria and Meghan in the early years of Tom Sr's and Doria's marriage.

I must admit I just made some assumptions based on the vicious spewing coming from the half siblings. However having though about it I'm sure that would have been a headline on the tabloids here in the UK - 'Harry's girl product of a home wrecker' or words to that effect would have been splashed over the fronts of the papers for all to see!!! So their nastiness must stem from other elements including jealousy and possibly some racism. Thank goodness they are in the US and won't try to gate crash the wedding here in the UK.

The Sussex title is very much available and has been reported as being Prince Harry's preference. However, Queen Elizabeth could decide to create a new title for him. I think Sussex is very appropriate though for Meghan and Harry. :D

I'll be surprised if Queen Elizabeth would create a new title when a perfectly valid one is free but one never knows

On another note I am wondering what Harry and William will wear. They both wore uniforms to William's wedding - but they were also current serving members of the armed forces and it was a more formal event being the wedding of a future King. As this is a less formal wedding that isn't a given and morning suits could be the order of the day. However the wedding invite has mentioned uniforms as possible attire for men so maybe that is an indication the bridegroom and his best man will also wear uniforms. And I do love a man in uniform :)

Last edited:

Japanfan

Do you take this article as gospel? Why don't we wait & see?

You think the 'ordinary folk' in attendance might actually be treated to sandwiches and tea?

However, from what I understand the Brits are largely mad about their royals, and wouldn't mind one bit if they had to bring their own food and drink along to have a glimpse of a royal wedding.

Myself, I would not be interested in the least.:slinkaway

Jenny

From the Bloc
Descendants of the former Cumberland and Albany title holders have a claim to the titles. Meanwhile, those titles remain in abeyance and thus, unavailable.

The current claimant to the title of Duke of Albany is Prince Hubertus of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha - he's actually a third cousin of mine through his mother, and a fourth cousin of Prince Charles through Queen Victoria.

I don't know him though :)

On another note I am wondering what Harry and William will wear. They both wore uniforms to William's wedding - but they were also current serving members of the armed forces and it was a more formal event being the wedding of a future King. As this is a less formal wedding that isn't a given and morning suits could be the order of the day. However the wedding invite has mentioned uniforms as possible attire for men so maybe that is an indication the bridegroom and his best man will also wear uniforms. And I do love a man in uniform :)

Even when they were little boys, William and Harry could pull off any form of formal wear like no one else. They always look elegant and at ease, so yes, I too am looking forward to seeing what they wear as much as the ladies!

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
You think the 'ordinary folk' in attendance might actually be treated to sandwiches and tea?

However, from what I understand the Brits are largely mad about their royals, and wouldn't mind one bit if they had to bring their own food and drink along to have a glimpse of a royal wedding.

Myself, I would not be interested in the least.:slinkaway

I have no idea if they will receive tea & sandwiches or anything else. But the tone of that article was extremely nasty & critical of an event that hasn't even taken place yet. And it was issued in a less than credible tabloid.

aftershocks

Banned Member
On another note I am wondering what Harry and William will wear. They both wore uniforms to William's wedding - but they were also current serving members of the armed forces and it was a more formal event being the wedding of a future King. As this is a less formal wedding that isn't a given and morning suits could be the order of the day.

Prince William and Prince Harry will surely wear their uniforms as they did in 2011. There will be a group of military personnel from Harry's former regiment who will line the steps on either side when Meghan and Harry leave the church.

Re-posting this info from the 'Harry is engaged' thread:

More details on the Lifetime biopic/romance:
https://www.mylifetime.com/movies/harry-and-meghan-a-royal-romance

Here are details on the music the real Meghan and Harry have chosen for their wedding ceremony at St. George's Chapel, Windsor: https://www.royal.uk/music-st-georges-chapel-wedding-service

Last edited:

cygnus

Clarence is out as a title- not because of the previous Duke of Clarence (ie Prince Eddy), but because the title comes from County Clare in Ireland, which is now part of the Republic of Ireland, and no longer part of the UK.

Gazpacho

I have no idea if they will receive tea & sandwiches or anything else. But the tone of that article was extremely nasty & critical of an event that hasn't even taken place yet. And it was issued in a less than credible tabloid.
The Guardian is hardly a "less than credible tabloid". It's one of the most respected papers in Britain. I agree the tone of the article was nasty, but it doesn't negate the fact that the common guests were told to bring their own food. It was also reported by the Independent and BBC.

Maybe they'll backtrack now from the bad publicity.

ballettmaus

Yet another dysfunctional family marrying into royalty. What is it with royal spouses and dysfunctional relatives?

I don't think it's about royal spouses and dysfunctional relatives. I think it's about life. I have to think really hard to come up with someone I know who has a completely functional family. And it's not like everything's peachy in royal families either. Often times they just have to hide it/try to hide it.

SHARPIE

fsuniverse.COM (finally)
Staff member
The Guardian is hardly a "less than credible tabloid". It's one of the most respected papers in Britain. I agree the tone of the article was nasty, but it doesn't negate the fact that the common guests were told to bring their own food. It was also reported by the Independent and BBC.

Maybe they'll backtrack now from the bad publicity.

The Guardian is leftist badly spelled crap! They'll print anything to slag off the Royals.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
I read today that Sarah Ferguson is not invited to the 2nd reception (i.e. the family party) at Harry & Meghan's wedding. The article I read says she is very upset. I thought, why is she even surprised? I was surprised she was invited to any of it.

AragornElessar

W/the Right Royal Mess Meghan's Dad & those spiteful spawn of his have created, especially today, I knew I had to get over here for reaction.

What an utterly despicable disgusting thing to do. It also puts Harry's remarks in the Engagement Interview into context as well. Like when he mentioned he's met Doria & thought her an amazing Lady (you could hear the capital L when he said it. :D ), but he'd never met Meghan's Dad or the rest of the Markles yet. I think this past weekend & today took care of the rest of wondering why....

I can not even begin to imagine how horribly hurt Meghan is feeling tonight. One thing for her Dad's spawn to pull something like this, as they've been showing their true feelings all along & I'm sure Meghan was expecting it from them in a very sad way. But for her Dad to pull this stunt!?! Five days before the Wedding!?! I can't say what I'd love to say, as I'd been banned so fast, so I leave it to your all very fertile imaginations. 😊

Someone at the one Royalty MB I belong said one true thing about all this mess though : Every new Member of the BRF who marry in have all had the problem of trying to figure out fitting in Christmas/Easter/other big Holidays w/their Family along w/the BRF. She doesn't think Meghan will be having that problem....

The current claimant to the title of Duke of Albany is Prince Hubertus of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha - he's actually a third cousin of mine through his mother, and a fourth cousin of Prince Charles through Queen Victoria.

I don't know him though :)!

*snip*

His wife Princess Kelly was the last American Royal Bride IIRC. Their Wedding Pictures are among my all time favourites & all thanks to her Dad. He's serving or is now Retired US Navy & wore the full ceremonial famous Whites (which is one of my favourite Military Uniforms) for the Wedding. It just really added a little bit of something special to it all. Not it wasn't to begin w/, but you know what I mean. 😊

I know many hate Turquoises & Diamonds paired together, but the Coburg Turquoise Diamond Tiara that's Kelly's go to for attending Royal Tiara Events (The Swedish Weddings) really is lovely IMO. It really suits & frames her face very well too IMO.

MAJOR AWWWWWW!!! 😊 I love how these ticked off two things. Little Louis' First Official Pictures & a new one of Charlotte, since we didn't get one for her Birthday.

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ I just posted about the Markle Dad fiasco in the Harry engaged thread... What a terrible way to let his daughter down. It's very embarrassing, and gives further meaning to Harry's offhand comment on the radio show in December.

Now I wonder who will be walking Meghan down the aisle: her mother; Prince Charles; Markus Anderson; Ben Mulroney?

Last edited:

mag

As I have also posted in the the engagement, I hope Meghan’s mom walks her down the aisle.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
What about a total break from tradition and Meghan and Harry walk into the church and down the aisle together? Support each other down that long aisle and neither is given away but a couple from beginning to end of ceremony. And no one gives the bride to Harry, they give themselves to each other.
Not traditional. Wild idea I know.

mag

What about a total break from tradition and Meghan and Harry walk into the church and down the aisle together? Support each other down that long aisle and neither is given away but a couple from beginning to end of ceremony. And no one gives the bride to Harry, they give themselves to each other.
Not traditional. Wild idea I know.

I love this idea! Two independent people who have made the decision to move forward in life together.

Jenny

From the Bloc
At least they have each other leading up to this. AFAIK, they are already living together at Kensington Palace, so he's been there to support her through this mess with her family. As I recall, his mother lived in seclusion with the Queen Mother in the weeks leading up to her wedding.

I think it'll be her mother though. Agree with those who say it's not so much about giving her away, but more having someone to support you, the person who has been there literally your whole life, as you walk down the aisle and get ready to move into a new phase of your life.

I think of Pippa like that. I read somewhere that having an adult bridesmaid for a royal wedding was the exception, not the rule. Mostly it's like it will be for Meghan - a party of children. I think Pippa was there mostly because Kate needed someone by her side for the whole thing, someone from her old life, someone who she knows and knows her, in a cathedral with a thousand guests - most who she did not know - with millions watching on tv.

Yes, I definitely think that if it's not her father (the KP statement remains ambiguous, so maybe they are still trying to make it happen?) it will be her mother.

Lorac

At least they have each other leading up to this. AFAIK, they are already living together at Kensington Palace, so he's been there to support her through this mess with her family. As I recall, his mother lived in seclusion with the Queen Mother in the weeks leading up to her wedding.

I think it'll be her mother though. Agree with those who say it's not so much about giving her away, but more having someone to support you, the person who has been there literally your whole life, as you walk down the aisle and get ready to move into a new phase of your life.

I think of Pippa like that. I read somewhere that having an adult bridesmaid for a royal wedding was the exception, not the rule. Mostly it's like it will be for Meghan - a party of children. I think Pippa was there mostly because Kate needed someone by her side for the whole thing, someone from her old life, someone who she knows and knows her, in a cathedral with a thousand guests - most who she did not know - with millions watching on tv.

Yes, I definitely think that if it's not her father (the KP statement remains ambiguous, so maybe they are still trying to make it happen?) it will be her mother.

But Kate's father walked her down the aisle and supporting her on that long walk. Pippa was needed more to keep the pages and flower girls in check.

mag

As I recall, his mother lived in seclusion with the Queen Mother in the weeks leading up to her wedding.

Diana actually lived at Buckingham Palace, although not in the same apartment as Charles. She moved to Clarence House the night before the wedding. She was also a Clarence House for a couple of days after the engagement was announced while her rooms at Buckingham Palace were being organized.

ETA: there are numerous reports that Diana did feel lonely and isolated leading up to her weddding. Blame for that should probably be shared by both the Royal family and Diana’s own totally disfunctional family and, of course, by Diana herself, although she was only 19 years old so I think she deserves some slack. It must have been an overwhelming experience.

Jenny

From the Bloc
It was a different time too.

As for Kate and Pippa, I meant through the entire thing. Her father was there in the carriage and down the aisle, but her sister was with her for the entire day, in an official capacity.

Reactions: mag
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information