Royalty thread #15: A New Era

Status
Not open for further replies.

ballettmaus

Because no child ever has been furious with their parent(s) and told their entire world about it, and then had any realization when the parent(s) became ill and could be or are dying that they might want to reach out before it was too late.

His father doesn’t have to see or talk to him.
It's a bit different if you tell your world or the whole world, I think. But I agree, I don't see anything hypocritical about it and prefer to look at it like @Tesla did.

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
I saw someone comment this morning that the British tabloids are complaining the Harry visited his father the wrong way. But they'd also have complained if he hadn't visited at all. Doesn't matter what he does, someone will always say it's wrong.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
I saw someone comment this morning that the British tabloids are complaining the Harry visited his father the wrong way. But they'd also have complained if he hadn't visited at all. Doesn't matter what he does, someone will always say it's wrong.
Yeah there are some here who think Harry should not exist anymore. But then even that is shoveling sh$t at the precious Royals.

puglover

I agree the word "wrong" is questionable. However, I do believe, especially for someone who has had their world rocked by a serious, worrisome diagnoses and just received their first treatment, there are more thoughtful, sensitive times for a visit than another. Usually, we would offer to visit but also be prepared to postpone that if the one we plan to visit isn't up to it. We know the King spoke with Harry prior to the world release but have no idea what was said, and rightly so. The King is no doubt in shock and after all these years of waiting for his turn as monarch and with so many plans and ideas he wants to implement shelved for the time being, this is a dreadful time for him no matter what positive spin is put on it.

From all I read, the King wants to heal the situation with Prince Harry and still describes him as "my precious boy" , but there is a tremendous amount of hurt, not just personal, but regarding Harry's words and behaviour towards Charles's father, mother, wife, other son and daughter-in-law.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
If any of you have ever been diagnosed with cancer you know the first couple of days you're in a daze. You don't know which healing option you should choose, you're trying to educate yourself when your head is spinning, & you just want normalcy even though you know things will never go back to what it was before cancer. Charles had the move to Sandringham planned, it probably felt right to stick with the plan. He could have told his people to tell Harry he didn't have time for him but he didn't. Maybe they said all they wanted to say in 45 mins. We can keep on speculating or assigning motives to every move they made but I think that's pointless. If the cancer is advanced or serious we will know soon enough. If it's something that is fairly easily cured we'll know that too.

Last edited:

ballettmaus

Would you really do this with your parent? I sure as hell wouldn’t.
A distant relative just had cancer related surgery. One of the children is currently in South America and wanted to come back. Parent said no, don't come, you can't do anything anyway and child stayed in South America.

I don't think it's that unusual for it to happen that way because traveling half-way around the world is a big deal for most of us. We may not be able to just take time off that quickly and/or we may not be able to afford it (even less so at the moment with flight prices as high as they are). So, even if we want to come, we also see that it might be reasonable to stay.
Harry's in a different position, he can afford to travel half-way around the world on a second's notice, so it's much more likely that even if his dad said he didn't need to come, he would come. Also something that I find understandable especially with everything Harry's gone through with his family.

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
He visited "the wrong way?" What determines whether a visit is the right or wrong way?
They were commenting on the fact that the tabloids were up in arms because Harry only visited for 45 minutes, or that he was only coming as a publicity stunt, or came at the wrong time, or whatever suited their agenda. Basically, in their opinion and with no knowledge of the actual facts behind it (which nobody outside the Royal household knows), he did it wrong.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
Absolutely none of us know what was said, how it was, who initiated the visit, etc.

To announce you know it was because he was wanting to solidify any inheritance or however someone said earlier is totally hatred in my view.

Everyone acts differently to a cancer diagnosis. I would want my kids to come as soon as possible. Some don't.

We also don't know if Charles hadn't had a few days to adjust to the possibility of a cancer diagnosis. He had to have known if a biopsy had been taken. Or if a scan looked suspicious or a bunch of other testing had been done.

He had time to adjust. The Palace had time to write a communication. I seriously doubt that the palace said - ok now the family knows - we said it. We don't know how much time Harry had prior to ANY OF YOU WHO HATE HARRY OR THE PRESS got.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
A distant relative just had cancer related surgery. One of the children is currently in South America and wanted to come back. Parent said no, don't come, you can't do anything anyway and child stayed in South America.
When my mother had a cancer diagnosis if one of her out-of-town children had offered to come she (always never wanting to be an inconvenience) would have told him/her not to come. But I know she would have been gutted if all her children wouldn't have gathered around her. Which we did. We knew enough not to hover but it was a comfort to her that we wanted to be with her. And the 1st time I got cancer I did want my family but after a while a little visit went a long way. You just need to be attuned to what the patient wants. If it's a family member you probably can (hopefully) "read the room."

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
I don't think it's that complicated.

Harry was told of the diagnosis on the weekend. Flew on the Monday (5th) , landed on the Tuesday ( 6th ) , left on the Wednesday ( 7th, 24 hour stop ), presented an award in Las Vegas on the Thursday (8th) and there is a trip to Canada the 14th-16th.

I think when a family member is diagnosed with cancer you want to reach out in some way, regardless of the state of your relationship.

And I also think Harry did rush in a quick visit when he did because the optics would be worse if he didn't somehow acknowledge that first before their planned events listed above (and maybe there are other things in between ).

It was going to happen at some point, it's over now, the ice has been broken. Now whether it thaws is another story.

puglover

Would you really do this with your parent? I sure as hell wouldn’t.
Actually, although I was the parent, I did. Several years ago in the height of Covid I developed a serious heart condition completely out of the blue. I was hospitalized and initially the medical professionals were hesitant to give much of a prognosis. My husband called our 6 children and advised them of my condition, doing his best to convey that things were serious but we remained hopeful, no time for panic. Their messages relayed to me through my husband were of love and concern and that I was in their thoughts and prayers, which gave me great comfort. In the middle of the night I received a cell phone call from my youngest daughter advising that she was hoping on a plane and coming. I absolutely adore her and she and I have a lot of fun together but she is also very dramatic and quite frankly can be exhausting. I tried to reassure her and asked her not to come but she wouldn't hear of it and so finally I spoke with my husband who had to point blank tell her not to come. I have since learned to live and cope with my condition and have spent some wonderful times with her and her family.

I do not think we can judge the King at this difficult and challenging time for only spending a short time with his son.

Vagabond

According to the Daily Mail, which follows royals, the couple visited a Swedish school on Monday and then the Golden Gate Bridge, after a quick change of attire that was documented in detail: Victoria perfectly matched her accessories with the tones of her silk, knee-length Saloni skirt — opting for some orange suede heels and a matching clutch bag. The mother of two styled her long brown hair into a low bun and completed her look with a pair of orange dangly earrings.

I don't have a link to the Daily Mail piece, but the Chronicle article has several photographs of the princess rocking it in red on Tuesday.

Reactions: JJH

canbelto

skategal

Bunny mama
Hmm. Very unusual to pull out of a memorial last minute.

Especially when he was due to give a reading and it was for his godfather.

Hope the kids and Kate are okay.

Can’t see him pulling out for any other reason unless he has a GI bug or something….

Winnipeg

With both his dad and wife dealing with health issues, I can see how he might have a lot on his mind these days.

ballettmaus

I hope the experts in here will let us know when to worry about Kate.
A colleague of my mom's just had what I think would be referred to as abdominal surgery as well and full recovery is supposed to take 3-6 months. There are a lot of physical restrictions for the first few weeks as well.

Winnipeg

A friend of mine had abdominal surgery to correct ulcers and the recovery was well over 8 weeks after release from hospital,

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I’m pretty sure she has a temporary ostomy (“a bag.”) when there’s a severe case of diverticulitis or bowel blockage, they do an ostomy to let the colon heal, eventually do a bowel resection to sew the colon back together, wait for that to heal and then reverse the ostomy. It took me from November through May for that scenario.

Also, and I will be delicate here, if you’re a normal size person and wear flowy or baggy clothes, the bag isn’t obvious. If you’re the thin, chic Princess of Wales in trim dresses, it’s harder to hide it. Either way it’s emotionally and physically difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information