RIP Prince

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Dysentery? How is that even possible in 2015/16? Sounds horrifying.

Well, noone knows. I was in Jordan for five days the week before, may have eaten or drunk something I shouldn't. Let me tell you, this is not a weight-loss method I recommend. Antibiotics work, though.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
I am not sure that there were many praise bands playing "Purple Rain" in their services this morning. I have to say that our pastors - the associate pastor is an awesome musician and he played guitar/sang the Purple Rain refrain and with the instrumental during the verses. We have an awesome bass guitarist, keyboardist, drummer and brass section. It was simply amazing.

The senior pastor used part of the sermon, talking about as a teenager playing the cassette out, driving around for hours in the country, Chernobyl, trash, discarding, air quality ...talking about environmental care of our earth.

It sounds strange to tie all that together, but it worked exceptionally well.

Re: Tylenol/acetaminophen overdoses/liver toxicity. Years ago, when I worked in adolescent patient care unit,, we would get teenage kids who take an overdose as a suicide attempt. The sad thing would be when they wouldn't tell anyone until days later - too late to pump their stomachs, too late to administer activated charcoal or other immediate actions. We used to give them Mucomyst to hopefully protect the liver from toxicity. The drug smells awful, tastes worse and we often had to insert nasogastric tubes to get it in them.

meggonzo

Banned Member
Prince has released an album a year since he left Warner Brothers.

I believe he was releasing an album a year or more when he was still with WB so he could get out of his contract faster.

I think he had a few years break between albums in the past 6 years or so. It's still really impressive to release an album almost every year from 1978 to 2015, and then to still have a bunch of music that was never released!

Impromptu

Sekret Custom Title
I believe he was releasing an album a year or more when he was still with WB so he could get out of his contract faster.

I think he had a few years break between albums in the past 6 years or so. It's still really impressive to release an album almost every year from 1978 to 2015, and then to still have a bunch of music that was never released!

MPR (The Current) played his entire catalog A to Z this weekend - it took them 27 hours (and since it was public radio, that's 27 commercial free hours), and they were saying that wasn't everything ... it was just all that they had access to.

AragornElessar

Jenny

From the Bloc
The lawyer who got Prince out of his contract with Warner Brothers was still his friend until today (and still his lawyer, I believe), so I would imagine all the work Prince did was being dealt with his lawyer so that the problems he experienced in the first part of his career were not repeated. So I imagine now that Prince's estate owns everything that Prince ever recorded. I would guess that anyone who recorded with Prince agreed to let him have the rights to whatever they produced. Or maybe joint ownership between Prince and that artist.

Here's hoping. Another artist comes to mind immediately, Frank Zappa. Like Prince he was prolific in his writing and recording, and also recorded pretty much every live performance - and he also survived a terrible time with his record company early in his career (as did many artists of that era), so was very possessive of his music. Like Prince, he also lived in the same home/recording studio for his entire adult life, and actually had to employ an archivist as there was so much material, most of it accumulated before everything went digital - so vaults of bulky master tapes.

Not sure if Prince saw it coming, but Zappa knew he was going to die of prostate cancer, so he set up a trust for his wife and children to protect the music, and for 20 years the family regularly put out new material from the vault, much to the delight of his loyal fans (which don't include me btw - admire the artist, hate the music, but my husband is a huge fan). Only now is the family finally selling the house and shutting it down, and the music lives on.

That was one of the things I always admired about him. How many male leads even now have female guitarists and drummers in their bands, not to mention all the pop songs he wrote for female singers?

Indeed - we listened to Purple Rain over the weekend and I was studying the album cover (sigh, remember when that was part of the listening experience?) and remembering that concert and thinking about how the women totally rocked. Sheila E actually opened for him on her own, then joined the band for his concert along with Wendy and Lisa.

In one of many tributes I've seen in the past few days, a music journalist talked about how in the early days of rock and roll, music was the one thing that brought blacks, whites and latinos together in an otherwise very segregated time - but then, he said, by the 70s the music industry led by radio programmers had resegregated - rock music was white guys, and black music was R&B or funk, played on different stations. Then Prince came along and mixed it all up again - not just men and women, but across race as well.

:respec:

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
Yeah, I know we're drifting way into the personal.....I used to be able to take Tramadol for pain with no problem. Just one at night, not the six per day that is prescribed. A couple months ago, I took one of a new prescription before bed and the next day I couldn't walk from the kitchen to the bathroom without stopping to rest in the living room. I couldn't sit up to eat. IT WAS TERRIBLE! I was so scared I was going to collapse and hit my head or something, I almost called 911. Didn't take any more Tramadol. I'll be looking up cyclobenzaprine!!

Anyway, drifting back - I'm thinking maybe Prince took a combination of medicines you are not supposed to take (WHATEVER was previously or chronically wrong with him, I don't know) when he was sick. And maybe took more and more trying to get better, on top of whatever he might have already been taking. If he was in the elevator, he might have thought he was feeling o.k. and just collapsed. Or he was trying to get to someone because he didn't feel right. If anyone knew he was in danger of collapsing, they would have put him back in the hospital. Or had a nurse stay with him. I don't even watch the news, so I don't know if any of that has been discussed or proven or whatever. I just prefer to think of it as an accident because he was sick (knowing how I felt with the Ultram). Heck, in 9th grade I had the flu and got up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night and passed out. I was told that my crashing to the floor woke my dad up. They made sure I was o.k. and got me back to bed and sat next to me all night. I don't remember doing it.........TMI, I'll shut up now.

Edited to add - that's Flexeril. Nope - made me too dizzy when I was not as sensitive to all this stuff. I can't even take one Advil without stomach cramps. And I had a severe reaction to eye vitamins (too much zinc?), of all things. Turning off the TMI again.........
Wow! That's a lot of Tramadol to take in just one day. It may have depended on how strong or MG your were taking. My prescription instructions were for 3 a day. I never took that much, though. I mainly took one at night along with the Cyclobenzaprine, and that was only if I was in a lot of pain.

That may be why I never missed taking the Tramadol. My doctor was aware of how I took it, and told me from the beginning to take it when I was in pain. Anyway, I believe that's why I never became addicted to it.

Regarding Advil, Motrin, Ibuprofen ... I had taken it for years for cramps, etc. Motrin was first filled as a prescription back in the 80's when I would have severe cramps. Anyway, it was either in 1997 or 1998 when I became allergic to it. I had taken Ibuprofen with a glass of milk before I went to bed. I woke up the next morning with a swollen face, swollen lips that made me look like the Joker from Batman, and my tongue was beginning to swell. I called my doctors office immediately and managed to drive there.

By the time I got to see my doctor, my tongue was so swelled that it was getting harder for me to breathe and I could hardly talk. Now I always check the back of over-the-counter products/meds to make sure that no Ibuprofen is in them.

Jenny

From the Bloc
I'm really enjoying all the videos coming out of artists performing Prince songs in tribute right now. Here's Chris Stapleton (stick it out for the harmonica at the end!) and Bruce Springsteen, both bathed in purple lights, of course. Cast of Hamilton.

And this is from months ago, but it's a cool cover by Chris Cornell. And in reverse, here's the Purple One himself covering Joni Mitchell.

PeterG

On one TV program they said that if he didn't have a will, then his estate would go to his six siblings. As for not having a will, how could the lawyer who got him out of his contract with Warner Brothers not have ensured he had a will? Or his manager? :confused:

Jenny

From the Bloc
Agree Peter - it's very surprising for someone who gave the impression that he was very much in control his musical legacy. Apparently he had two other siblings now deceased, but if they have children, they also have a claim.

BittyBug

Disgusted
Maybe he didn't care about his earthly posessions, but I would think that given his perfectionist tendencies he would have at least wanted to control the disposition of the songs in his vault.

twinsissv

Unbelievable! One of the very first things that I did when I started working was to draw up that will with specific bequests to special people. My 'estate' is laughable compared to those of celebrities but...still a good idea. What are they thinking? Even my elderly Mom was considerate enough to write one along with a living will for long-term hospital stays.
I just don't get it.:confused:

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
Agree Peter - it's very surprising for someone who gave the impression that he was very much in control his musical legacy. Apparently he had two other siblings now deceased, but if they have children, they also have a claim.

Maybe. That depends on state law.

In my state, if I die without a will, my husband gets everything. If we die together, the kids split everything 50/50. That's what would happen with a will, too. And there is no difference in how the estate would go through probate except for having an administrator instead of an executor.

So...I have a will somewhere, but it doesn't weigh heavily on my mind. Both my parents died without wills and it made pretty much no difference at all. If I lived in some other states, I wouldn't be quite so blase, as the laws are different. It pays to know, because in some states, your heirs will be very sorry if you don't have a will.

As for Prince, well, he wouldn't be the first person to put that task off because he was sure he wasn't going to die for a very long time. Didn't someone say there were rumors that he was struggling with aging?

quartz

scratching at the light
I would have thought with surely several accountants/lawyers/financial planners that are probably necessary to handle so many assets, that someone should have convinced him to have a will?
I made a will right after I had my first kid and the only asset was a 100 year old fixer-upper money pit of a house. :shuffle:

meggonzo

Banned Member
I'm surprised he didn't have a will. Even if he was struggling with aging, there's still the possibility of a freak accident. It's also bizarre considering the control he wanted over access to his music, and how he controlled people that worked for him not giving out stories about him.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
I wouldn't be surprised if all the music/intellectual property and maybe even real property was owned by a corporation or a trust, and not him individually.

meggonzo

Banned Member
I did see that Paisley Park will be turned into a museum, so they must have already figured out who takes ownership of his properties, or at least this one.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
I wouldn't be surprised if all the music/intellectual property and maybe even real property was owned by a corporation or a trust, and not him individually.

That's probable, I think. But still, he must have a pretty sizable estate of his own.

I did see that Paisley Park will be turned into a museum, so they must have already figured out who takes ownership of his properties, or at least this one.

His sister has applied to be the administrator of the estate. Perhaps she knew what he wanted, more or less.

PeterG

I'm surprised he didn't have a will. Even if he was struggling with aging, there's still the possibility of a freak accident. It's also bizarre considering the control he wanted over access to his music, and how he controlled people that worked for him not giving out stories about him.

On one show, one of his friends said that he didn't want people recording his words or taking notes because he didn't want quotes attributed to him when he felt he was continually changing and growing as a person. To me, that meant that he wasn't trying to be some sort of leader who had firm opinions on everything, but rather a person/artist whose job was to explore and change and create. I thought that was great! :D

Sally1214

I think it's still quite possible that Prince DID leave a will. I read this in the Toronto Star:

"Under Minnesota law, a person can file a will with probate court in secret. If Prince did so, the fact one exists would become public once a death certificate is filed, but the medical examiner has not yet issued one for Prince. An autopsy was conducted Friday and his remains were cremated Saturday."

Link: http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/2016/04/26/who-will-step-forward-to-claim-princes-millions.html

Also, this from Rolling Stone:

"But while an official will has yet to surface, it could appear in the coming weeks. Under Minnesota law, a person can file a will with probate court in secret. If Prince did, the will — along with any trust he created or heirs he named — would be made public once a death certificate is filed. The medical examiner, however, has yet to issue one for Prince, and an autopsy performed last week was inconclusive; authorities are currently awaiting the results of toxicology tests, which could take weeks."

Link: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...ll-as-sister-seeks-control-of-estate-20160426

So, there's still a good chance that there IS a will that Tyka simply doesn't know about. Looks like no one will know for sure for another few weeks.

Last edited:

FiveRinger

I haven't posted in this thread yet, but before I comment on the inheritance, let me say that Prince's death, along with Michael Jackson's, have just totally stunned me. I didn't expect either one. Prince's music was truly a big part of the soundtrack of my childhood and adolescence, and the idea that he won't be around to contribute further saddens me.

I don't believe that Prince didn't have a will. He was entirely too meticulous. He fought too hard to have control of his music, and everything else around him. I have read several articles where his attorneys have not been willing to comment, making me think that there is a will, but might have been filed publicly because he wanted to remain some modicum of privacy, which would totally make sense. He was valued his privacy greatly, and if there was a way that he could file a will privately with the court, I'm guessing that he would have done it. It would avoid the fighting and bickering that will most undoubtedly occur if the state becomes involved.

Am I the only one that is concerned about the sister who waited exactly 1 week to file papers with the court regarding the estate? I don't want to think that she is an opportunist, but it didn't take long for her to find a lawyer and file suit. Forgive me if I have the wrong attitude, but I have learned from personal experience that when there is a death in the family, and there are assets involved, people show their asses and can get really ugly. Maybe Prince also knew this, and that's why the sister and the other family members aren't aware of a will.

PeterG

Prince No. 1 on Billboard Artist 100 Chart

Prince on the Billboard 200 album chart:

#1 - The Very Best of Prince
#2 - Purple Rain soundtrack
#6 - The Hits/The B-Sides
#31 - 1999
#61 - Ultimate Prince
#95 - Sign 'O' The Times
#147 - HITnRUN: Phase One
#160 - Prince (1979)

On the Hot 100 singles chart:

#17 - Purple Rain
#20 - When Doves Cry
#28 - Kiss
#29 - Little Red Corvette
#39 - Let's Go Crazy
#41 - 1999

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
Many, many people don't have wills. Even people with assets who are stupid not to.

I include myself in this category. :slinkaway:
It's not that hard to make a will yourself. That's what I did because one of my nieces asked for my whole music collection which is huge. It includes all the 45 records that my uncle would mail to my dad in cardboard boxes each month. He's the uncle from Ohio that worked for the jukebox company in the 60's. I have close to 500 records are more and most have "Disc Jockey record. Not for sale" on them. I also have a stereo with an 8-track tape player that still works along about a hundred 8-track tapes. I also have a cassette collection and an album collection which includes a lot of Prince music. Anyway, I promised her it all and that's why I made the will.

Here's a place online where you can make your own will:

Do Your Own Will

MacMadame

Doing all the things
It's not that hard to make a will yourself.
I am well aware of that. I even made a will once using LegalZoom. And then didn't get around to finding witnesses and notaries and such to make it official. :shuffle: And now it's all out of date anyway.

People put off making wills because they don't want to think about dying and/or because there are more pressing matters going on right now. I'd be surprised if Prince didn't have one, but I'm not surprised that lots of regular people don't have them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information