RIP Prince

kittyjake5

I was a little in love with Prince back in the day when he first came on the music scene, he was so different and cool. I imagine many fans were.

So many good memories. He was such a talented musician.

RIP Prince you will be missed.

LilJen

Reaching out with my hand sensitively
WHAT?????

Way too young. My friend Sara was a huuuuuuuge fan and will be devastated. :(

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
First concert I ever went to was Prince. His musical output over the past 20 years was very hit and miss (mostly miss :shuffle: ), but what a back catalogue he has. RIP. :(

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I never 'got' his music but I recognize his importance in popular culture. RIP, Prince.

topaz

I never 'got' his music but I recognize his importance in popular culture. RIP, Prince.

I feel bad that you never got his music. I always loved his music. I am so saddened by this news. When the story first broke I was hoping it was wrong. But sadly it is not. I grew up on Prince's music, his persona and his genius. My favorite artist of all time. ALL TIME. Musically gifted like no other. The first Prince cassette/album I bought was "controversy" when I was 11 or 12 years old. This was in the time of "naughty" Prince when he would perform in a duster and g string smile emoticon . If my mom had known I was listening to songs like "head" and "uptown"....
For those of us who grew up on his music, Prince's music is ingrained in us from "I want to be your lover", "Uptown", Controversy, International Lover, Do me Baby, Seven, Diamonds and Pearls, Darling Nicki, The Beautiful Ones, Scandalous, Sexy Mofo, Kiss. I could go on and on. His most recent CD was very good too.

He was "ahead of his time" and musically a genius. He left a legacy that will not be forgotten for a long long long time.

Prince Live Uptown
Prince Live "Why you wanna treat me so bad"
Prince Live at Rock N Roll Fame tribute to George Harrison - Prince "takes over" at the 3:25 mark. I mean takes over!!!

Last edited:

Jenny

From the Bloc
First time I saw Prince was an arena show for the Purple Rain tour. I went to a lot of concerts back then, but this was the first time I saw someone put on a show. The set, the lights, the choreography of the musicians, and then his very long version of Purple Rain that demonstrated that as much as he was an entertainer, he was also a seriously talented musician.

A few years ago I saw him again, this time in a small old concert hall, and it was incredible. One of the many highlights for me was not even a song - it was when he asked how many record executives and sponsors were in the front row, and there were none. "Only fans get the best seats at a Prince concert" he said.

:respec:

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
He was such an incredible musical genius. Played so many instruments, produced and mentored so many artists. I was always disappointed I never got see him live because every music video I saw of his live performances were amazing. He is up there as one of the most important artists of our time.

Sally1214

I'm devastated. Very seldom do I cry over someone I never met or knew personally but the tears just keep coming over this. I just loved him. His music touched my soul. Through the hardest of times, I could always listen to his music and feel better. I'm so grateful I got to see him perform live in concert twice....incredible experiences. He made my life better. He made me smile...and I'm just so very sad right now. RIP sweet Prince. :(

PeterG

Hits that were written or co-written by Prince:

Manic Monday – The Bangles (under the pseudonym Christopher), #2 pop, #10 adult contemporary

I Feel For You – Chaka Khan, #3 pop, #1 soul, #1 dance

Nothing Compares To You – Sinead O’Connor, #1 pop, #3 for 1990 and #82 for the entire decade (1990’s)

Jungle Love – The Time, #20 pop, #6 soul, #9 dance

Love, Thy Will Be Done – Martika, #10 pop

The Glamourous Life – Sheila E., #7 pop, #9 soul, #1 dance

Round and Round – Tevin Campbell, #12 pop, #3 soul

Sugar Walls – Sheena Easton (under the pseudonym Alexander Nevermind), #9 pop, #3 soul, #1 dance

Jerk Out – The Time, #9 pop, #1 soul

Pray – MC Hammer, #2 pop, #4 soul, #3 dance

Do Me Baby – Meli’sa Morgan, #1 soul, #43 pop

Kiss – Art of Noise featuring Tom Jones, #31 pop, #18 dance

A Love Bizarre – Sheila E., #11 pop, #2 soul, #1 dance

How Come You Don’t Call Me Anymore – Stephanie Mills (then Alicia Keys), #12 soul, #34 pop for Keys

When You Were Mine – Cyndi Lauper

Nasty Girl – Vanity 6, #7 soul, #1 dance

Sex Shooter - Apollonia 6, #7 soul, #7 dance, #83 pop

Get It Up – TLC, #43 pop, #15 soul, #3 dance

And one bonus:

“Little Red Corvette” – Stevie Nicks was listening to this and it inspired her to write “Stand Back”. Nicks called Prince about this and he came over and played synthesizers on the track. Some credit Prince as co-writer of the song, but Wikipedia lists Nicks alone as the writer. “Stand Back” hit #5 pop, #2 rock and #12 dance

Susan1

So sad!

My cousin I were just talking about people our age dying. I belong to my graduating class's Facebook page, and there have been about 30 out of 300+ in my class who have died since graduation. And now you get to know how old I am because Prince was born in the same year as I was (along with Michael Jackson and Madonna and Scott Hamilton).

MINAM

The "NICE" Admin
Staff member
Wake up, turn on the TV and then hear that Prince has passed away. What a depressing way to start a day.

I love "Kiss" (not only the song but also the video). I'm just shaking my head.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I feel bad that you never got his music. I always loved his music. I am so saddened by this news. When the story first broke I was hoping it was wrong. But sadly it is not. I grew up on Prince's music, his persona and his genius. My favorite artist of all time. ALL TIME. Musically gifted like no other. The first Prince cassette/album I bought was "controversy" when I was 11 or 12 years old. This was in the time of "naughty" Prince when he would perform in a duster and g string smile emoticon . If my mom had known I was listening to songs like "head" and "uptown"....
For those of us who grew up on his music, Prince's music is ingrained in us from "I want to be your lover", "Uptown", Controversy, International Lover, Do me Baby, Seven, Diamonds and Pearls, Darling Nicki, The Beautiful Ones, Scandalous, Sexy Mofo, Kiss. I could go on and on. His most recent CD was very good too.

He was "ahead of his time" and musically a genius. He left a legacy that will not be forgotten for a long long long time.

Prince Live Uptown
Prince Live "Why you wanna treat me so bad"
Prince Live at Rock N Roll Fame tribute to George Harrison - Prince "takes over" at the 3:25 mark. I mean takes over!!!

Thanks for the enlightments, Topaz. I even sat through the evening-long ballet to his music, Billboards (Joffrey, 1993), but...I recognized only the number "Purple Rain." All that matters is that the majority loved his music. Even if not a fan, I can respect his impact. Again - RIP. He died way too young...just like two other music superstars who came into their own in the 80s, Michael Jackson and Whitney Houston. The Triumvirate of 80s/90s pop gone.

Last edited:

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
PeterG said:
“Little Red Corvette” – Stevie Nicks was listening to this and it inspired her to write “Stand Back”. Nicks called Prince about this and he came over and played synthesizers on the track. Some credit Prince as co-writer of the song, but Wikipedia lists Nicks alone as the writer. “Stand Back” hit #5 pop, #2 rock and #12 dance

Several years ago, I taped Stevie Nicks on VH1 Storytellers when she told the story about how she came up with the song Stand Back. She was with Kim Anderson and it was the day of their wedding. They were on their way to Santa Barbara when they heard Little Red Corvette. :)

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
so sad he was such a musical genius :( I'm confused, why was he released from the hospital? It says he had the flu and was released?

Allskate

so sad he was such a musical genius :( I'm confused, why was he released from the hospital? It says he had the flu and was released?

According to TMZ, he was hospitalized for a drug overdose, not the flu. They say he was treated with a save shot and was advised to stay at least 24 hours, but there wasn't a private room available, so he left. I hope they turn out to be wrong, but they have multiple sources and their sources are often sleazy but accurate.

http://www.tmz.com/2016/04/21/prince-treated-drug-overdose-dead/

topaz

I am not buying TMZ's reports. Prince was a known Vegan, known for not doing drugs. He did not even tolerate folks around him doing drugs. He was very health conscious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information