"No one knows Mirai's mirai" Nagasu cheer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Since Mirai worked with Dickson's wife last season (right?), I think it's time for her to work with Dickson himself with the embelope-A (right?) which she earned by herself at Worlds. :cheer: karpenko can do great with music edition. :D Mirai's power & flexibility can make this type of program more stunning than Satoko would do, I expect. So I kept this idea from the very moment when I heard T Dickson picked this music as one of the choices for Satoko last spring. :inavoid: (I think Karen Chen & Vivian Le would do great with this music as well.) It seems Mirai is a lover of movie musics, judging by her LP music for this season. I wish Mirai will enjoy herself in the world of a movie music again.

Spun Silver

You should send her a note at her rink (if you don't have a more immediat way to contact her). I remember in her TSL interview she said she gets lots of fan mail at the rink so she would not be surprised or put off.

She also asked TSL for musc suggestions. :)

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
David Wilson has chosen the ABBA song "The Winner Takes It All" as sung by Sarah Dawn Finer for Mirai's FS (her 2013 Eurovision Final performance): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag5z7WQYaP8

Creating the Program: From 'Avatar' to ABBA
Nagasu enlists Wilson's help after Zakrajsek nixes initial selection
Posted 7/5/16 by Sarah. S Brannen, special to icenetwork
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2016/07/05/188049996
Nagasu recently headed to Toronto to work with two choreographers on her new routines. David Wilson choreographed her new free skate at the end of June, and Jeff Buttle is working with her on her short program. Until a few days ago, she didn't know what music she would be using to for either program.
"Choosing music for this season was really hard, because I had no idea what I wanted to skate to," Nagasu said. "It has to work between both the skater and the choreographer. For the choreographer, it's difficult to create something if they don't feel a connection to the music; and as a skater, I always ask myself if I'm willing to listen to the music every single day for the rest of the year without shooting myself."
ETA that I've also started a thread in GSD since this will be a series of articles on IN: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/ind...ition-via-in-mirai-nagasu-david-wilson.98862/

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Part 2 of IN article series is up: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/ind...mirai-nagasu-david-wilson.98862/#post-4827078

The article mentions that "Nagasu will skate to "Nocturne in C-sharp minor" by Frédéric Chopin for her short" - I believe Nocturne no. 7 & no. 20 are both in C-sharp minor. I'm guessing no. 20 is the more likely choice?

ETA: http://figureskatersonline.com/mirainagasu/home/skating/
2016/2017 Season
SP: “Nocturne in C-sharp minor” by Frédéric Chopin
Choreographer: Jeff Buttle
LP: “The Winner Takes It All” by ABBA, performed by Sarah Dawn Finer (plus a piano interlude)
Choreographer: David Wilson

Last edited:

giselle23

BEYOND EPIC!

Lyrics are perfect for her. and I think this is a PERFECT match for Mirai.... Cant WAIT to see this!!!!! FIRST program I am beyond stoked for!!!!

I'm pretty sure this is the one. It's rather famous. If you ever saw The Pianist, it's one of the main Chopin pieces played. It seems so elegaic to me, but there is a bit of relief in midsection where it switches to a major key. I can't wait to see how Mirai interprets this. I definitely think she is up to it.

worldsnice12

Just saw a video of Mirai's SP on Twitter (I suppose it is from Skate Detroit). Jump issues aside, what a stunning SP!
Obviously a bit rough in some places but overall, a very refined and subtle choreography. I loved how every movement blended in beautifully and especially the sequence between the first two spins fits so well to the music.
Mirai definitely bring some maturity here with this piece.

worldsnice12

^^ Do you have a link to the video @worldsnice12? Thanks in advance. :)

I don't but it was posted on @rockersksting account

On a side note, I believe she scored 48 something, very low as outside the botched Flip combo and single Loop, every element (especially spins and the 2A) looked rather sharp. Perhaps some lost levels in there too? I had more expected around 52-53 points but oh well, jumps are essential in the SP!

Sylvia

TBD
Mirai debuted her SP at Skate Detroit to Chopin's Nocturne in C-sharp minor no. 20, a violin & piano version, choreo. by Jeff Buttle ~2 weeks ago in Toronto. There was no coach with her by boards today; her jumps were 3F fall, 1Lo, 2A, 48.01 & 4th place in Group A. I liked the program at first viewing and am looking forward to seeing it develop in the season ahead.

ETA video link: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4l2xdv_mirai-nagasu-2016-skate-detroit-sp_sport

Last edited:

Spun Silver

It's on Daily Motion. I cant link (in app) but search Nagasu and most recent.

Eta: it's gorgeous! It seems kind of slow but that lets her add much more detail/intricacy than we're used to, and she is expressing the music, not with her face but her body. And the costume is beautiful -- the most wonderful color for her. Great job, Mirai and Jeff. It could be her best SP ever.

She is very funny at the end about her mistakes. :D

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
Yeah, Mirai's just getting her feet under her with this start while tackling the new choreo. There's definitely room to grow and I can see this program developing very beautifully with all the lovely nuances and pulling the tech together too. :D

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
The SP is a definite improvement over "Demons" IMO, a ton more transitions and better use of her arms and entire body with the choreography. I also love a lot of the nuances.

It's a bit slow and disconnected, but it's also super new. I give the program a 7, I gave Demons a 4. I really like it. :cheer2:

Costume is nice but a little busy, I love the color but I'd go for more simple (and less jewels).

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado
@rosewood I would love to see something like Akiko's dress for this program but costumes are rarely ready this early in the season. I want a blue dress for Chopin! ETA: I heart this EX program by Akiko, thanks for posting. I miss her SOOOOOO much. :wuzrobbed

@Karpenko my impression exactly. She is a bit out of shape or just not used to it but it looks like it can be great.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
Her new SP definitely has "Jeff moments." Is it a new costume for this program? I'd prefer more delicate color/style for this program.

This kind of costume.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCNG-7bJ18k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXLE2nTVuA4

Yes. I like the Akiko Suzuki color and style a bit better for Mirai than Carolina's soft pink. I believe the Skate Detroit red beaded outfit is an old costume that Mirai wore a few times this past season I think for her sp. She changed up later on to a different look.

Last edited:

inskate

Love the new SP! :inavoid:

There was a lot of mistakes, but I think most of them was caused by the fact that it was a very new choreo and perhaps the most intricate one Mirai has done. For example, she seemed to be so conscious of the edgework out of triple loop that she actually missed the triple loop :lol:

I'm looking forward to seeing it later in the season.

I believe the Skate Detroit red beaded outfit is an old costume that Mirai wore a few times this past season I think for her sp. She changed up later on to a different look.

Yes, it's an old costume (for the Great Gatsby FS: www.youtube.com/watch?v=21wSHvwsLRk).

Perhaps there was no time to make a new costume (considering the SP was choreographed so recently), so she used one that didn't have a lot of mileage :)

arakwafan2006

I'm going to kick my own ass for not going to see her. It's 20 mins from my house.

The short is gorgeous. It's in a class above her prior work to say the least. Her patterns seem a bit narrow but with time that should change. She JUST got the new programs. Personally, I didn't like competing too early because you can sort of imprint a poor performance in your mind or have regrets from unveiling something too soon. The jumps sometimes or rather the timing doesn't quite make sense for a while. Still, I like where it's going. The music fits her natural disposition of serious on the ice. She looks like a regal goddess. Also, she looks more in shape already. Go Mirai!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information