"No one knows Mirai's mirai" Nagasu cheer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

arakwafan2006

I know... she should join the "Im going to Zoueva camp to work on style and presentation."

I can't agree with you there. I do wish that Tom had someone who could help skaters develop into artists however. Tom is the one you should consider perhaps moving somewhere where there is an ice dance presence. It's a massive gaping hole in his skating school, highlighted by Max Aaron if no one else. Mirai, even with a David Wilson program that hasn't been touched up still has a gorgeous presence on the ice so at its worst, it looks the way it did today which was still nice. The things is, David gave her a really complex deal to sell and without help of him daily , the bits and pieces that mattered got lost.

It would be super if Tom Dixon or even if a dancer who knows little about skating helped. It did wonders for Angela Nikodonov years ago. The deal in American skating is , send them to a choreographer for a weekend and all will be well. Delilah Sappenfield does this and the programs end up looking bare by the time Nationals comes around. The Chinese donthisnas wel. It somehow they've managed to bridge the gap because Sui/Han for instance were to die for. I don't even like Bridge over Troubled Water but I watched that free skate 3 times.

All I'm saying is Tom could use some help.

B.Cooper

The Eurosport broadcasters were correct. She shut off the performance part to that program and went balls out with the jumps. She NEEDED that performance. I know damn well she was like " i am not spending the entire off season as hard as i've worked with my last memory of the season being Nationals". I don't blame her. No downgrades! when did that happen last? She went for everything and landed everything.

Today, I saw classic Tom Z technique with that quick snap and jump arch that he tries to teach. I think that the ask of The Winner Takes it All was too big of an ask of Mirai at this point. Blending the attention to music and the jumps is harder than it looks and it's harder than you think it is even if you're under the impression that it's difficult. Mirai skated for herself today and she looked great.

The truth is, she's a bulldog of a skater, powerful, full of attack and aggressive. I know she'd blessed with flexibility, a beautiful body and a personality that is so fitting of someone in skating. Still, she's a wonderful athlete. She's " get the F&#K out of my way" strong and that came through. One thing that i fear wont ever be fully developed under Tom Z is her style. She really is still discovering it and seemingly adapting. While that free skate music may describe her story loosely i guess ( i never thought it was her story honestly but maybe she does"I still feel like David, though brilliant sort sold her an idea and she went along with it. In actuality, it's not her real style. Skating to slow music does not complement the frame of mind she likes to be in when she's at her best. Lori was a better fit for her because Lori to me is better at highlighting the strengths and not making the weaknesses so obvious.

Anyhow, I yelled and smiled at the final position when she threw her head back. That was fabulous for her and I hope it sort of gives her the motivation she will need over the summer. Praying for a healthy and injury free summer. She is my third pick for Olympic team if we get 3 spots.

Mirai did do the technical in the free skate, but honestly, there was absolutely NO emotion until she completed her last jumping pass. You can not support that sort of performance, or lack thereof, with the 3rd highest PCS score...
Mirai NAGASU USA 132.04 69.81 62.23 7.86 7.46 7.93 7.75 7.89 0.00 #18

There were segments between some of the jumps that she just did cross overs, like she had actually forgotten the choreography, or had chosen to just not do the choreo, ...she would just stroke to build up speed, so that she could focus ONLY on the tech. But, that is what her coach focuses on...technical. A solid technical performance.

The issue at the heart of it, is that her coach just doesn't make the PCS a priority. Lots of Zakrajsek skaters have worked with world class choreographers, but the reality is that they are not available on a day to day basis in COSP. Lori Nichol, Jeff Buttle, David Wilson, Tom Dixon, Christopher Dean...they have all worked with Zakrajsek skaters. Tom Dixon, who is based in COSP, travels quite a bit, and he is somewhat, how do I say, "artistic" in his nature, and doesn't always see eye to eye with the primary coaches; Drew Meekins and Ben Agosto both work with Zakrajsek skaters....but it is apparent that the focus is on the technical when it comes to competition performances. Zakrajsek is not going to pick up and move his core business from COSP to another venue to pair up with someone like Marina Zueva. And, if his skaters are going to improve in the PCS, he is going to have to learn to get along with those coaches/choreographers that can help that aspect of the skater's performance improve.

Mirai skated stone faced until the last 30 seconds or so. Made it hard to fully appreciate her performance because she did skate a clean technical program. Just no emotional energy until the very end. She needs to find her ability to actually perform again in the midst of all of the technical demands.

Last edited:

B.Cooper

That is a skill! Even if she had the raw talent to do that, raw talent still has to be honed and cultivated. It will likely not happen and her current training base.

Mirai is able to emote in exhibition performances. So, I think it is there, the ability or skill as you say @awakwafan2006....she needs to work on the performance aspect in competitive programs, and that takes time...day-in and day-out training of the performance.

Bellanca

It also makes her the only U.S. lady to win three senior-level ISU Championship medals since Sasha Cohen.

:respec:
A beautiful thing that it was Mirai who did this!
The USFSA might want to think long and hard about this. :sneaky:
I'm telling you right now, the sh*t would hit the fan if they did this and one skater was removed for another skater. I know that it is well within their means to do it, but, ugh!! NOT good. Sochi - Part II, all over, again.

Last edited:

Spun Silver

Huge congrats to Mirai! This had to mean a lot after a rocky season with that awful long program.

Her performance quality certainly convinced the Korean crowd. I am so thrilled she was finally able to deliver that program. LOVED the head toss at the end!

I hope she has learned that sometimes she needs to say no to the David Wilsons of the skating world. I wish she would work with Misha Ge (in addition to Jeff again) -- he might help free her to release her inner diva.

I am proud of Mirai for her records at 4CCs etc. but even more annoyed at USFS for discounting them. Yes, she should skate well when it counts... on the other hand, it is hardly a bad thing to peak late in the season!

giselle23

Mirai did do the technical in the free skate, but honestly, there was absolutely NO emotion until she completed her last jumping pass. You can not support that sort of performance, or lack thereof, with the 3rd highest PCS score...
Mirai NAGASU USA 132.04 69.81 62.23 7.86 7.46 7.93 7.75 7.89 0.00 #18

There were segments between some of the jumps that she just did cross overs, like she had actually forgotten the choreography, or had chosen to just not do the choreo, ...she would just stroke to build up speed, so that she could focus ONLY on the tech. But, that is what her coach focuses on...technical. A solid technical performance.

The issue at the heart of it, is that her coach just doesn't make the PCS a priority. Lots of Zakrajsek skaters have worked with world class choreographers, but the reality is that they are not available on a day to day basis in COSP. Lori Nichol, Jeff Buttle, David Wilson, Tom Dixon, Christopher Dean...they have all worked with Zakrajsek skaters. Tom Dixon, who is based in COSP, travels quite a bit, and he is somewhat, how do I say, "artistic" in his nature, and doesn't always see eye to eye with the primary coaches; Drew Meekins and Ben Agosto both work with Zakrajsek skaters....but it is apparent that the focus is on the technical when it comes to competition performances. Zakrajsek is not going to pick up and move his core business from COSP to another venue to pair up with someone like Marina Zueva. And, if his skaters are going to improve in the PCS, he is going to have to learn to get along with those coaches/choreographers that can help that aspect of the skater's performance improve.

Mirai skated stone faced until the last 30 seconds or so. Made it hard to fully appreciate her performance because she did skate a clean technical program. Just no emotional energy until the very end. She needs to find her ability to actually perform again in the midst of all of the technical demands.

Mirai's "emotional energy" is irrelevant. She just needs to jump like she did today. Look at her score-the best in a long time. If she continues to rotate her jumps, her PCS will rise, regardless of her expression. Yuna Kim had little facial expression and it didn't stop her.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
OK, I finally watched the free. Best free Ive seen her do technically since who knows. Was awesome..

But boy void of choreography a bit.. there was one jumping pass where it almost seemed like she forgot she was in a program and she was just going into the jumping pass as if no music was playing (towards the end.) And she was doing it with a lot of power and determination. I think at that point even Johnny started saying something about it.

But you know what 134 points is 134 points. Get it girl!

B.Cooper

Mirai's "emotional energy" is irrelevant. She just needs to jump like she did today. Look at her score-the best in a long time. If she continues to rotate her jumps, her PCS will rise, regardless of her expression. Yuna Kim had little facial expression and it didn't stop her.

Kim Yuna had much better PCS than Mirai, by a long shot. And, even though Yuna's programs were "performed", not always showing the love for the music, at least there were demonstrable emotions in the programs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KV9cUupflo&t=151s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noxpvATWzho

Even when Yuna had one of her worst LPs...2009 SA, she did still manage to emote at times during the program. I just don't see that with Mirai.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkDsokttQIA

Definitely different than the stone face of Mirai, until the jump passes were concluded.

giselle23

Kim Yuna had much better PCS than Mirai, by a long shot. And, even though Yuna's programs were "performed", not always showing the love for the music, at least there were demonstrable emotions in the programs.

Even when Yuna had one of her worst LPs...2009 SA, she did still manage to emote at times during the program. I just don't see that with Mirai.

Definitely different than the stone face of Mirai, until the jump passes were concluded.

I think she lost her expression after she left Orser.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Really? I thought her 2013 Worlds LP was her most expressive ever.

Bellanca

Yeah.

I suspect that Mirai gets so caught up w/ the technical concerns in her programs that she forgets to emote. This is why I am hoping that Mirai's team will stay far away and resist choosing a vocal selection for her SP/FS music next season. A lyrical piece of music can actually be harder to skate, perform and emote to than an instrumental piece, etc., and for several, problematic reasons. Some might say, at the end of the day, it won’t make a difference, but IMHO, the less distraction there is, the better.

Spun Silver

I was a little nonplussed to see this comment by Mirai in the IN article on 4CCs:

"The performance I was able to put out tonight was just amazing," said Nagasu, who skated to "The Winner Takes It All." "It felt magical. These are the moments we work so hard for each and every day. For it to come to fruition has been very gratifying.
"I think when the skater is in love with the music, it translates to the judges and to the audience," she continued. "Instead of being too technical, it allows me to really enjoy my skating. For that, I am so grateful to David [Wilson] for giving me this piece of music."
She obviously doesnt give a rusty hoot what we think about this LP. Good for her. But it doesnt sound like she was totally focused on the technical side. I thought it looked like she was in the zone and skating freeer (is that a word?) than in a long time. It seems more that she and her team never really drilled the interpretive side of the program at all. I am amazed that she loves it so much!

ETA: I will admit that I have been singing that dratted song to myself for the past two days!

Bellanca

I was a little nonplussed to see this comment by Mirai in the IN article on 4CCs:
:lol: Yeah.

"The performance I was able to put out tonight was just amazing," said Nagasu, who skated to "The Winner Takes It All." "It felt magical. These are the moments we work so hard for each and every day. For it to come to fruition has been very gratifying.
"I think when the skater is in love with the music, it translates to the judges and to the audience," she continued. "Instead of being too technical, it allows me to really enjoy my skating. For that, I am so grateful to David [Wilson] for giving me this piece of music."

She obviously doesnt give a rusty hoot what we think about this LP. Good for her. But it doesnt sound like she was totally focused on the technical side. I thought it looked like she was in the zone and skating freeer (is that a word?) than in a long time. It seems more that she and her team never really drilled the interpretive side of the program at all. I am amazed that she loves it so much!
Castelli & Tran, they've been in love with Journey for two seasons now… I think a breakup is long overdue. But, I digress.

Speaking of a rusty hoot, it is really my inner Dick Button that cringes whenever a skater chooses a vocal piece, but it seems (for the moment, anyway) it is here to stay.

So, ok, ok, if it makes her happy, Mirai can skate to Tiptoe Through the Tulips by Tiny Tim, for all we care because we will still be cheering her on! :kickass: ... despite our vocals aversion. :barrel

all_empty

No vocals next season. Please, no vocals. I feel that Mirai should stay completely away from this. JMHO.

Agreed.

I found her more powerful classical selections, Carmen, Saint-Saens Symphony No. 3 (which Miki Ando used to success) etc. more effective.

I'd rather see Mirai skate with power and athleticism throughout an entire piece, rather than bits of choreographed emotion.

My all-time favorite program of hers is "Memoirs of a Geisha," which had a lot of varied tempos, but if she wants to focus on the jumps, "bigger" music might work better.

icellist

I'd have to say that the Saint-Saens was my favorite LP of hers as a senior. This was the season after her terrible Spartacus program and people were starting to harp Mirai on her lack of expression. I didn't think she needed expression in the Saint-Saens. Mirai only had to look badass and regal. I would not be angry at all if she brought that back or went back to Susan Austin who did a great job for Mirai as a junior before Lori took over.

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦

Mirai wasn't always stone faced. That seemed to happen after her growth spurt post 2011. Imo she was joyful and exuberant in her programs and expressed them very well, particularly in the 2010 Olympic season and especially her "Pirates of the Caribbean" SP and in 2011. I don't know what happened to her after that. She seemed to have undergone some kind of emotional shutdown on the ice after 2011 when she had her growth spurt, with only flashes of emoting coming through here and there over the years. I don't know what coach or choreographer can help bring her out again, especially as the Olympic season starts within just a few months.

Now back to the topic of this thread - AWESOME skate by Mirai in the 4CCs FS!

She may have won the whole thing outright if she'd nailed her SP and sold her program better in the FS. She definitely has to work harder to improve those PCS scores, but just the same great job Mirai! I'm so proud of her! :cheer2::respec::rockstar::cheer:

I hope she gets that triple axel consistent enough to put them in her programs for the Olympic year!

clairecloutier

OK, I finally watched the free. Best free Ive seen her do technically since who knows. Was awesome..

But boy void of choreography a bit.. there was one jumping pass where it almost seemed like she forgot she was in a program and she was just going into the jumping pass as if no music was playing (towards the end.) And she was doing it with a lot of power and determination.!

I think I know the one you mean. She just stopped doing anything going into that jump! She wasn't even holding her arms up in a pretty position. Her arms were just hanging down at her sides as she stroked into the jump. LOL. Still I'm very happy about her score. She needed that. Good for her!

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
I think I know the one you mean. She just stopped doing anything going into that jump! She wasn't even holding her arms up in a pretty position. Her arms were just hanging down at her sides as she stroked into the jump. LOL. Still I'm very happy about her score. She needed that. Good for her!

Yup.. I rewatched it.. it was the prep work going into the 2 axel/loop/ 3 salchow. As she was going into that pass she was just stroking and nothing else.. using a lot of power. Which was good because the end result as a very successful pass but at same time was almost like she was no longer "in a program."

Melissa

I'm still sad that Mirai won't be competing at Worlds. And not that I wish injury or illness for Karen (because I'm rather excited to see how she does! She's gonna have a great time! Plus wishing for bad things for her would be awful.) but I really wish the team was Ashley, Mirai, and Mariah.

Areski

I'm still sad that Mirai won't be competing at Worlds. And not that I wish injury or illness for Karen (because I'm rather excited to see how she does! She's gonna have a great time! Plus wishing for bad things for her would be awful.) but I really wish the team was Ashley, Mirai, and Mariah.

I would like this team too but it can't be changed now unless one of them gets injury and I don't wish any of them that. The thing is that Karen despite being National champion is most likely to finish the lowest of all 3. Top 10 would be pleasant surprise imo but she'd have to be almost clean and present program tad better, I have more faith in Mariah already, she's more well rounded (sure age helps) and overall was better than Karen this season. LP has also better scoring potential.

leafygreens

Has the world team ever been changed after it's been announced? (Other than for injury/illness.) Some countries have even waited until 4CCs results to announce the teams (remember that Canadian duel a few years ago.) It might be smart if USFS does the same. It seems to be less important what your results were at beginning of the season, and more important what your results are ramping up to Worlds.

Sylvia

TBD
Posing with the PyeongChang mascots at the 4CC banquet: https://www.instagram.com/p/BQzpPgGBHzn/

"We [Mirai with Grant] picked up this grate just to get this photo because we thought the little detail was super cute. Don't worry, we put it back. #pyeongchang2018": https://www.instagram.com/p/BQ3cTiGhGqj/

Showing off her 2017 4CC bronze medal (Getty Images) :)

ETA:

Looks like IN has made her 4CC FS available for viewing by non-subscribers (may not play on all mobile devices?): http://web.icenetwork.com/video/v1224378583

Last edited:

DreamSkates

Re: 4 CCs. Seems I read that she and her coach decided she would focus on the technical stuff - fully rotating all her jumps, which she accomplished, which earned her a high score. With that confidence, she can return to adding the artistic components that were missing. You can be a beautiful, artistic skater, but jumps bring many points if you want to end up on the podium. Example: Patrick Chan. Exceptional quality but not always consistent with jumps so the Grand Prix wasn't so kind to him this year. So I say Kudos to Marai for her great result and solid jumps at 4 Continents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information