NBC Network Olympics Coverage

A.H.Black

Forgive my ignorance, but what is 4K coverage??

4K is extra high def video that will be shown the next day for selected events.Looks like we'll have to wait and see who will show it and when.

It is a type of hi-def resolution that is better than 1080p. You need a 4K ready tv to watch it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4K_resolution

I was hoping the 4K would be streaming on the NBC Sports app and I could get it through my Roku. Since my cable provider has never offered any 4K content, I'm not holding my breath they will pick this up either.

4K is going to be like the HD coverage was in 2002. It will be different commentators than the regular NBC coverage. 4K will be Chris Vosters and Charlie White (the 4 continents team). It may be really different (like HD in 2002) with different camera angles and less commercials. I really hope someone with a 4K TV will record it and post it somewhere. For me, it's not a matter of having the better picture - it's a matter of having the different programming and the different perspective available.

It's another of those situations where there is added programming available that very few people know about. And, because so few know about it or have it - no one thinks to get it recorded and we never see it or have access to it.

Susan1

For the team competition everything will be live on NBC, the men's free & ladies free will clash with some sports, but the rest of the competition wont

For the Short/Free
NBCSN will show the early groups starting at 8:00 PM
NBC will show the last 2 groups starting around 10:00 PM (or 11:00 PM in some events)

I made this breakdown of events following the tv listings and olympic schedule

https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/viewing-options-tv-streaming.103042/#post-5260841
I just checked my cable guide for OLY and NBCSN channels for figure skating starting 2/8. Nothing. The regular NBC station has figure skating AND skiing listed in prime time - 8 - 11:30. NBCSN is showing Nats all day before that.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I just checked my cable guide for OLY and NBCSN channels for figure skating starting 2/8. Nothing. The regular NBC station has figure skating AND skiing listed in prime time - 8 - 11:30. NBCSN is showing Nats all day before that.
NBCSN and OChannel are ALWAYS late in pushing their schedules. I expect to see it by tomorrow or Wednesday.

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work

That's because there is no need for NBCSN to show the skating, since it will be on NBC

THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 8 (DAY -1)

NBC
8 p.m. – 11:30 p.m.
Figure Skating – Team Event (LIVE)
Men’s Short Program (8:00-9:20 PM)
Pairs’ Short Program (9:45-11:00 PM)

Both segments should be shown live and complete, no other sports contested at that time. During the zambonee the taped Moguls competition should have to be aired.

Check my post #3 about tentative tv airing times of figure skating between both NBCSN/NBC

https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/viewing-options-tv-streaming.103042/#post-5260841

Susan1

NBCSN and OChannel are ALWAYS late in pushing their schedules. I expect to see it by tomorrow or Wednesday.

Good! OLY has "Olympic Films" on hour after hour (old notable Olympic events). Aaaannnddd - EVERY "Going for Gold: Olympic Roundtable" says "Hollywood's biggest stars...................in anticipation of the 2014 Golden Globe awards......"!!!!!! What the .............?

Didn't that used to be the Dick Button/Scott Hamilton/Mary Carillo "talk show" that we loved?

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Good! OLY has "Olympic Films" on hour after hour (old notable Olympic events). Aaaannnddd - EVERY "Going for Gold: Olympic Roundtable" says "Hollywood's biggest stars...................in anticipation of the 2014 Golden Globe awards......"!!!!!! What the .............?

Didn't that used to be the Dick Button/Scott Hamilton/Mary Carillo "talk show" that we loved?

Olympic Ice was the Mary Carillo show. It will be hosted this year by Liam McHugh, Tanith Belbin, and Scott Hamilton and will be on NBCSN every night at 7pm EST I believe.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Does anyone know if this year’s Olympic Ice will be held in the competition arena (as Scott & Mary C did in 2006 - sitting up in the stands of the Palavela) or if will happen in a studio (so dull in 2010 - Kristi & Scott @ NBC STUDIO in downtown Vancouver - and 2014 - Sarah H in a studio back in NY)? Some of the CBS 1990s Olympic Ice programs (Roz Summer’s & Alice Cook) were held in the practice arena, which was fun. I’m grateful to have it in any form...but 2006 was the best.

icie

Keeping up appearances
Olympic Ice was the Mary Carillo show. It will be hosted this year by Liam McHugh, Tanith Belbin, and Scott Hamilton and will be on NBCSN every night at 7pm EST I believe.
Tanith is a far too talented of a commentator to have to deal with little Scotty screeching like a banshee. :(

Susan1

Yes, right. Thank you! I'll look for it.

Back in VCR days, I'd hurry and watch the All My Children I taped that day so I'd be ready to watch it at 7. Funny, back in 1988 (my first apartment - didn't even have cable, kids!), I didn't have a vcr so I had my dad tape Knot's Landing for me while I watched the O's. When I got over there that weekend to watch it, I found out he messed up with using the two different remotes and taped the O's while they were watching it instead. :wall: :)

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work
The page is not available to me. :(

I did my research looking the NBC/NBCSN planed schedule and the Official Olympic Schedule
So the breakdown of events should be something like this

THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 8 (DAY -1)

NBC
Men’s Short Program (8:00-9:20 PM)
Pairs’ Short Program (9:45-11:00 PM)

Both segments should be shown live and complete, no other sports contested at that time. During the zambonee the taped Moguls competition should have to be aired.

SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 10 (DAY 1)

NBC
8 p.m. – 11 p.m.
Ice Dancing Short Dance (8:00-9:00 PM)
Men’s Alpine Skiing – Downhill Gold Medal Final LIVE (9:00-11:05 PM)
Ladies’ Short Program (9:45-10:45 PM)

11:30 p.m. – 12:30 a.m.
Pairs’ Free Skate (11:40 PM-12:30 AM)

Short Dance will be live/complete, then followed by the downhill final, it will get some time with the ladies short program but most likely the top contenders group will be the one showed once the main contenders of the downhill skied and medals have been decided. Pairs Free doesn’t clash with any other sport so has to be complete/live.

SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 11 (DAY 2)

NBC
7 p.m. – 11 p.m.
Women’s Freestyle Skiing – Moguls Gold Medal Final (Taped, must be 7-8 PM)
Figure Skating – Team Event Gold Medal Final (LIVE)
Men’s Free Skate (8:00-8:45 PM) LIVE
Women’s Snowboard – Slopestyle Gold Medal Final (8:00-9:45 PM) LIVE
Women’s Alpine Skiing – Giant Slalom Competition (LIVE) 8:15-8:45 PM
Ladies’ Free Skate (9:10-9:50 PM) LIVE
Ice Dancing Free Dance (10:20-11:00 PM) LIVE

NBC starts earlier than the actual schedule for that day, so it would be taped highlights of Moguls, Men Free Skate should show the 5 skaters but it will clash with slopestyle final (could be back and forth) Giant Slalom First Run should take 30 minutes for the top contenders (american Schiffrin among those) so it will clash with Men Free too, Ladies Free Skate will be contested at the same time as the Slopestyle final. The Free Dance most likely will be show complete as it doesn’t clash with any other sport.

TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 13 (DAY 4)

NBC
Men’s Snowboarding – Halfpipe Gold Medal Final (LIVE) 8:00 PM-12:50 AM
Figure Skating – Pairs’ Short Program (LIVE) 8:20-11:10 PM
Women’s Alpine Skiing – Slalom, First Run (LIVE) 9:30-10:00 PM

NBCSN
8 p.m. – 10:10 p.m.
Olympic Ice
Figure Skating – Pairs’ Short Program (LIVE)

NBC migh begin their coverage with Snowboarding at 8:00 PM though the official schedule cites the Women’s Halfpipe Final (not men) it could be back and forth coverage to show americans competing. It will be followed by Slalom 1st run (9:30-10:00 PM) with Michaela Schiffrin, the top contenders go first and it takes around 30 minutes to finish their first run.

NBCSN should start the early groups 1 to 3 and the last groups should be showed by NBC starting at 10:10 PM

WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 14 (DAY 5)

NBC
Men’s Alpine Skiing – Super G Gold Medal Final (LIVE) 8:00-9:00 PM
Men’s Skeleton – Competition (LIVE) 8:00-10:25 PM (though are not finals)
Figure Skating – Pairs’ Gold Medal Final (LIVE) 8:30-11:55 PM
Women’s Speed Skating – 1000m Gold Medal Final (Taped)

NBCSN
7 p.m. – 10:10 p.m. (Skating starts at 8:30 PM)
Olympic Ice
Figure Skating – Pairs’ Gold Medal Final (LIVE)

NBC is likely to begin the coverage with alpine skiing, skeleton and highlights of the speed skating and at 10:10 PM should begin the figure skating until the end but Pairs Free finish at 11:55 PM so NBC should run 25 minutes longer than what they are originally listing to show the final 2-3 couples. First groups will be over on NBCSN starting LIVE at 8:00 PM

THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 15 (DAY 6)

NBC
8 p.m. – 12:30 a.m.
Figure Skating – Men’s Short Program (LIVE) 8:00 PM-12:30 AM
Women’s Snowboard Cross Gold Medal Final (LIVE) 8:00-11:15 PM
Men’s Skeleton – Gold Medal Final Runs (LIVE) 7:30-10:10 PM
Women’s Freestyle Skiing – Aerials Competition (Taped)
Women’s Cross Country – 10km Gold Medal Final (Taped)

NBCSN
7 p.m. – 11 p.m.
Olympic Ice
Figure Skating – Men’s Short Program (LIVE) 8:00-11:00 PM

It looks like NBC will start at 8:00 PM straight with skeleton finals, Snowboard Cross Final, and then show the taped coverage. Figure Skating should run for 3 hours on NBCSN and then at 11:00 PM until 12:30 am the final 2 flights will be on NBC

FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 16 (DAY 7)

NBC
8 p.m. – Midnight
Figure Skating – Men’s Gold Medal Final (LIVE) 8:00 PM-12:25 AM
Women’s Alpine Skiing – Super G Gold Medal Final (LIVE) 9:00-10:00 PM
Women’s Freestyle Skiing – Aerials Gold Medal Final (Taped)
Women’s Skeleton – Competition (Taped)

NBCSN
7 p.m. – 10:10 p.m.
Olympic Ice
Figure Skating – Men’s Gold Medal Final (LIVE) 8:00-10:10 PM

NBC again will dedicate the first 2 hours to taped coverage and the Super G Final that should have the medal favourites racing around 9-10 PM, then it will go to the figure skating last 2 groups. NBCSN will show the first 2

SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 18 (DAY 9)

NBC
7 p.m. – Midnight
Figure Skating – Ice Dancing Short Dance (LIVE) 8:00-11:45 PM
Women’s Freestyle Skiing – Halfpipe Competition (LIVE) 8:00-9:25 PM
Women’s Speed Skating – 500m Gold Medal Final (Taped)
Two-Man Bobsled – Competition (Taped)
Men’s Cross Country – 4x10km Relay Gold Medal Final (Taped)

NBCSN
7 p.m. – 10:15 p.m.
Olympic Ice
Figure Skating – Ice Dancing Short Dance (LIVE) 8:00-10:15 PM

NBC begins their first 3 hours with the freestyle skiing QUALIFICATION and all the taped coverage. NBCSN should be showing the first groups until 10:15 PM when NBC takes the broadcast for the last two groups most likely

MONDAY, FEBRUARY 19 (DAY 10)

NBC
Figure Skating – Ice Dancing Gold Medal Final (LIVE) 8:00-11:45 PM
Women’s Freestyle Skiing – Halfpipe Gold Medal Final (LIVE) 8:30-10:00 PM
Two-Man Bobsled – Gold Medal Final Runs (Taped)

NBCSN
7 p.m. – 10:10 p.m.
Olympic Ice
Figure Skating – Ice Dancing Gold Medal Final (LIVE) 8:00-11:45 PM
Women’s Alpine Skiing – Downhill Training (Taped)

Again, NBCSN will have the first two groups live starting at 8:00 PM and then at 10:10 PM NBC will take the last two groups.

TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 20 (DAY 11)

NBC
8 p.m. – 12:30 a.m.
Women’s Alpine Skiing – Downhill Gold Medal Final (LIVE) 9:00-10:00 PM
Figure Skating – Ladies’ Short Program (LIVE) 8:00 PM-12:30 AM
Women’s Bobsled – Competition (Taped)
Men’s Snowboarding – Big Air Competition (LIVE) 7:30-10:45 PM

NBCSN
7 p.m. – 10:45 p.m.
Olympic Ice
Figure Skating – Ladies’ Short Program (LIVE) 8:00 PM -12:30 AM

NBCSN will show the figure skating ladies short from 8:00-10:45 PM, once NBC ends their live coverage that began at 8:00 PM but will show the skating from 10:45 to 12:30 AM (Last 2 groups)

THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 22 (DAY 13)

NBC
8 p.m. – Midnight
Figure Skating – Ladies’ Gold Medal Final (LIVE) 8:00 PM-12:15 AM
Women’s Alpine Skiing – Combined, Downhill Run (LIVE) 9:00-10:00 PM
Women’s Snowboarding – Big Air Gold Medal Final (LIVE) 7:30-9:15 PM
Short Track – Gold Medal Finals (Taped)

NBCSN
7 p.m. – 10 p.m.
Olympic Ice
Figure Skating – Ladies’ Free Program (LIVE) 8:00 PM-12:15 AM

NBC Will start with the taped short track coverage and followed by Big Air mixed with the Alpine combined downhill run that will be until 10:00 PM. NBCSN should show the first 2 groups and at 10:00 PM NBC will take the skating for the final 2 flights

SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 24 (DAY 15)

NBC
8 p.m. – 11 p.m.
Figure Skating Gala (LIVE) 7:30-10:00 PM
Four Man Bobsled – Gold Medal Final Runs (LIVE) 7:30-10:30 PM

NBC will show skating and bobsled back and forth

TanithandBenFan

I'm looking at my cable guide, and Olympic Ice is lumped in with NBCSN's block of primetime programming every night, so we won't be able to record just that show.

Aceon6

@Braulio Thank you, that's super useful.

Does anyone know if there will be an option to stream the whole event without interruptions?
Given the resourcefulness of FSUers, there might be some accessible stream that's not geoblocked. I'm just resigned to living with the commercials.

valdora

Won't it also be streaming on the NBC website?

I would think so. They had it during Sochi, but they also live broadcast all figure skating on NBCSN. The stream kind of sucked because it had a big NBC banner bar across the top so the actual stream on only took up 3/4" of the screen. It was very annoying.

yossalu

NBC will be live streaming everything. It will all be available on the NBC Sports app which will give you the opportunity to watch on Android, Apple products, Roku, Amazon Fire TV, Samsung, XBOX, and probably a few other things I'm forgetting. I loved flipping between the various apparatus during the Rio Games gymnastics competition on my AppleTV.

This article from November went over some of the details.

Aceon6

I forced my TiVo to update today and the NBCSN coverage is starting to show in my list of recordings. If anyone has a keyword or wishlist set up, you’ll be happy to know that NBC uses “Figure Skating” in both the show title and keywords. From looking at other listings, it seems they’re being quite clear about the specific sports airing in a given time block.

TanithandBenFan

Susan1

O.k. - NBCSN now has their O's coverage on the onscreen guide, instead of "Olympic Films". I will still be using Braulio's schedule though!

Tesla

Whippet Good
Do you need to have a provider to watch the streaming? We don’t have cable or satellite.

Spun Silver

On another note, or not, I watched a new video of Ashley yesterday where she was giving one-word or very brief descriptions of the Olympic team members. Her quote on Mirai was (more or less): "I've known this girl for... we competed together for years... she is feisty! Feisty, feisty, feisty, feisty, feisty! That's Mirai!" LOL! I hope she will feist herself into the team event and come away with a bronze medal! And feist herself right back up from anything that goes wrong or gets scary in the individual event!

Susan1

I didn't want to start a new thread for this because it is not an Olympic sport (yet), but does anybody remember seeing synchronized skating worlds on t.v. for a couple years way, way back (in the 90's maybe)? ESPN or something? Has it ever been on t.v. again? I don't know what made me think of it right now. :)

barbk

OK -- I signed up for youtube tv, which has broadcast NBC and NBCSN among other channels. It says I need chromecast to display it on my TV. We have a (new) 4K tv, so it looks like we need a Chromecast Ultra for that. Do I need anything else? (I do not have cable; sadly comcast wanted a 1 year contract, so must choose a different option.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information