Keeping Track of Criminal Cases & SafeSport Suspensions in Skating

MacMadame

Doing all the things
nothing that Mark would have said would have made the skating mob happy, this is a situation where unless he would have eviscerated him in his commentary (which makes no sense given the platform in question) people would still think he wasn't saying enough.
So given that he couldn't win, he decided to go with the worst possible choice??

I suspect it's more that Mark knows the FouB-Sor well and doesn't know who the victim is so the victim is not real to him the way FouB-Sor are.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Brennan tweeted this earlier:

Was there more news this week? I don't remember hearing anything.

So, here's a question/thought that just occurred to me. Say OSIC determines that they can't make any finding of guilt on Soerensen's part for the 2012 incident but they do find that he violated their code/regulations by speaking out about the charges during Skate Canada's Worlds Media Day. What possible sanction could he receive in that scenario?

Would it be hefty enough for Skate Canada to be forced to remove FBSoer from their High Performance Team and not register them for any international competitions including the GP? The federations have to submit the names of skaters to be considered for the GP, even the ones who are guaranteed spots, in order for the skaters to be selected by the GP Host Commission.

Or if the investigation is still ongoing, could Skate Canada inform FBSoer that they will not be eligible for international assignments until that is completed and they receive the OSIC report because Nik went and shot his mouth off about the situation and is disregarding the code/regulations therefore they just don't want to deal with the hassle of him incurring another charge that has to be investigated and dealt with?

Debbie S

I expect FB/S to announce their retirement very soon, regardless of any investigation findings. I doubt we will see them compete again. The issue now is whether he'll be able to coach (I hope not but not holding my breath).

Last edited:

Desperado

I expect FB/S to announce their retirement very soon, regardless of any investigation findings. I doubt we will see them compete again. The issue now is whether he'll be able to coach (I hope not but not holding my breath).
I don’t see them retiring before the Olympics. Why would they? Especially if the coaching prospects are iffy right now and IAM keeps supporting them.

Do you think SC would force their hand? That seems too strong a stance for this organization.

skatingguy

decently
I don’t see them retiring before the Olympics. Why would they? Especially if the coaching prospects are iffy right now and IAM keeps supporting them.

Do you think SC would force their hand? That seems too strong a stance for this organization.
Base on what we know about the way that Skate Canada operates it would seem highly unlikely that they would do anything to encourage them to retire. This is a team that is competitive for medals internationally, and that's all that Skate Canada cares about.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Yesterday's Canadian Press (co-op news service) story on Worlds has a line at the end: "Sorensen denied a chance to comment on the matter Saturday". This is bad reporting. It glosses over what happened I.e. he was hustled away by Skate Canada officials (per Brennan).

On one hand it astounds me that Skate Canada didn't have a better strategy for managing questions about this. There was no way he wasn't going to be asked about it. On the other hand it's just more evidence that Skate Canada thinks it's untouchable, and if it just says nice things about supporting safe sport, this will all go away :rolleyes:

skategal

Bunny mama
Reasons to retire:

He’s 35. His body is breaking down (already had a serious knee surgery).

They have already been to Olympics (their goal) and are unlikely to medal at the next one.

Been to Montreal Worlds (this year’s goal.)

I was expecting them to retire and start coaching at IAM post Montreal Worlds before the allegations broke.

Now I’m not sure if they will retire or not as maybe they will think they need better international results to ensure their coaching career happens.

pat c

I don't think they have any procedure on what to do. They're listening to legal advice which probably says do nothing,say nothing. It will bite them. Coaching? I think that's off the table for NS in North America. He could go back to Denmark and coach maybe? And Skate Canada has teams waiting in the wings for their international chances - Lala, B&B........

skatingguy

decently
I don't think they have any procedure on what to do. They're listening to legal advice which probably says do nothing, say nothing. It will bite them. Coaching? I think that's off the table for NS in North America. He could go back to Denmark and coach maybe? And Skate Canada has teams waiting in the wings for their international chances - Lala, B&B........
In the short term coaching in North America would be difficult - but as we saw last week a lot of people aren't aware of the allegations, or don't care - but in a year or two I doubt he'd have any issue coaching.

pat c

In the short term coaching in North America would be difficult - but as we saw last week a lot of people aren't aware of the allegations, or don't care - but in a year or two I doubt he'd have any issue coaching.
You could be right. But I'd think they'd want a major city, where news like that would stick to you. Now if he moved to a smaller city? maybe.

But like others, I think they'll retire sometime this year, at a time when this isn't a topic of interest to others other than us. And then it will die, no charges, no coaching in the US. That's the cynic in me. I hope I'm wrong.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I’d hope that IAM wouldn’t take him as a coach.
Probably not in the near/immediate future. Would he necessarily need to be an on-ice coach? He could get a job with a gym as a trainer and not work directly with any skaters or on IAM's payroll.

bwayrose7

Reasons to retire:

He’s 35. His body is breaking down (already had a serious knee surgery).

They have already been to Olympics (their goal) and are unlikely to medal at the next one.

Been to Montreal Worlds (this year’s goal.)

I was expecting them to retire and start coaching at IAM post Montreal Worlds before the allegations broke.

Now I’m not sure if they will retire or not as maybe they will think they need better international results to ensure their coaching career happens.
I also was expecting a retirement announcement after Worlds, prior to the allegations coming out. Barring anything unexpected happening among the top tier of teams, I think they've pretty much peaked in the standings. They're not going to surpass the established top three, they're too old (and too injured) to wait them out, and there are younger, up-and-coming teams that have already surpassed them and/or are nipping at their heels.

Even before the allegations, it felt like they were the most likely to get politically dropped. Canada is more focused on keeping G/P in the championship conversation and pushing LaLa into the best possible position for the next cycle, while FB/S have a knack for flukey mistakes that add up and aren't strong or consistent enough to challenge for the world podium. If they're being practical (rather than making decisions to "prove a point"), they're more likely to drop in the standings than rise. Quit while you're ahead(ish), and all that.

Sylvia

TBD
Rosie DiManno's column for the Toronto Star after the RD (March 22):
Excerpts relevant to this thread:
On Soerensen, who was named to the worlds team by Skate Canada after he’d unilaterally withdrawn from nationals in January because his presence would be “distracting,’’ ISU president Jae Youl Kim said: “We respect the presumed innocence and the decision that Canada has made to enter Mr. Soerensen.’’
That’s arguably fair. It’s a sticky situation because Soerensen hasn’t been charged with anything, and isn’t being investigated by police. “Believe women,’’ while a popular slogan in the #MeToo movement, flies in the face of legal rights and, as Kim noted, presumption of innocence. Though it ill-behooved Soerensen, during a media availability on March 6, to rather trash the alleged victim. “When something like that comes out in the media, the damage is kind of done and I think that was the intention more than anything,’’ he said of his accuser. Soerensen, who’s denied the allegation, said he deserved to be here, however.
After their performance Friday, both Soerensen and Beaudry maintained the allegation was far enough in the past that they no longer felt Soerensen’s presence would trigger any commotion. [...]
“What has changed? The story is a little bit further behind us.’’
“What’s important here is that any kind of unacceptable behaviour, including any kind of abuse and harassment, should not be allowed,’’ said Kim, before expanding on steps the ISU has taken to protect athletes, including hiring a full-time safeguarding officer last year. Kim said he’d heard of no other athlete in Montreal complaining about Soerensen’s presence, nor could he confirm that the new safeguarding officer has spoken with either Soerensen, who’s now 35, or the complainant.
The sport has been rocked for several years now by claims of sexual misconduct, abuse, bullying, body shaming and exploitation. Last month, two Jane Does filed a lawsuit in South Carolina claiming they had for years been sexually abused by their coach, a former Olympic skater.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Rosie diManno has enough experience with sensationalizing covering the court system to know that a complaint to a regulatory body is not the same as a criminal or civil charge, so "legal rights" is not a relevant concept to Sorensen's situation.

Former Lurve Goddess

Rosie diManno has enough experience with sensationalizing covering the court system to know that a complaint to a regulatory body is not the same as a criminal or civil charge, so "legal rights" is not a relevant concept to Sorensen's situation.
Rosie knows better but that’s not why she gets paid the big bucks. It bothers so much that she still has her cushy job when so many talented up and coming journalists are struggling to get gigs.

screech

Did anyone catch the commentary on USA's coverage of the FD at Worlds? I heard the investigation into Sorensen was discussed. Wondering if there is a video anywhere?
I forget if it was the RD or the FD, but CBC's network coverage did as well, via their general sports correspondent (I think it was Andie Petrillo), not the skater commentators.

Willin

I’d hope that IAM wouldn’t take him as a coach.
Considering that IAM has supported him throughout (some coaches more openly than others - liking social media posts) and continued to let him train there, I'm not as optimistic about this possibility as others. I think IAM would keep him in some role.

There's stuff out there about another IAM dancer, and AFAIK IAM is also ignoring those accusations...

jackson

Considering that IAM has supported him throughout (some coaches more openly than others - liking social media posts) and continued to let him train there, I'm not as optimistic about this possibility as others. I think IAM would keep him in some role.

There's stuff out there about another IAM dancer, and AFAIK IAM is also ignoring those accusations...
Who?

deegee

It would’ve been one thing if they were both just sitting there beside Soerenson, but M-F took it a step further and was openly hugging him, touching him, smiling at him, etc. Definitely not a good look overall for IAM….
and in the group photo which seems to be after the meddle ceremony, cizeron is standing next to him with a big smile with his hand bracing sorensen's shoulder in what reads like a gesture of camaraderie. so even the young, newly- annointed staff are playing their role.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information