Keeping Track of Criminal Cases & SafeSport Suspensions in Skating

BittyBug

Disgusted
Assuming those sample texts are legit, it’s hard for me to imagine any possible redemption for someone who is that racist and that sadistic to direct such vitriol at another human being. He should have been banned for life, and absent SafeSport doing a proper job, I hope he is forever shunned by the skating community.

Hanna

Skating junkie
Christine Brennan article:

From the article:

Not long after Coughlin’s death, SafeSport delivered a chilling assessment of sexual abuse in figure skating, saying it discovered “a culture in figure skating that allowed grooming and abuse to go unchecked for too long.”

In January 2020, USFS executive director David Raith told USA TODAY Sports, “We don’t agree with their statement.”

What the hell, USFS?! Wake up!

antmanb

If the USFSA decide to, can they sanction him separately from Safesport?

I think we've discussed this before but I can't remember the answer.

Debbie S

SafeSport has authority over sexual misconduct cases. Other types of abuse and harassment can be reported to either USFS or SafeSport but I believe once something goes to SafeSport, it's out of USFS's hands until SafeSport makes a decision and then USFS and the PSA (coaches association) take action based on SafeSport finding.

attyfan

This is horrible. However, I am curious about the handling of "mixed" cases like this one (i.e., racial harassment as well as sexual). Does SafeSport's authority extend to the whole case or only the sexual harassment part of it?

Vagabond

This is horrible. However, I am curious about the handling of "mixed" cases like this one (i.e., racial harassment as well as sexual). Does SafeSport's authority extend to the whole case or only the sexual harassment part of it?
The Center opened its doors in Denver, Colorado, in March 2017, and soon after became federally authorized under the Protecting Young Victims from Sexual Abuse and Safe Sport Authorization Act of 2017 (which became Public Law No: 115-126 on February 14, 2018). Under this law, we develop resources and policies to safeguard athletes from bullying, harassment, hazing, physical abuse, emotional abuse, sexual abuse, and sexual misconduct. The law entrusts the Center as the exclusive authority to respond to reports of allegations of sexual abuse and sexual misconduct within the United States Olympic & Paralympic Committee and their recognized National Governing Bodies (NGBs).
Racist bullying, harassment, and emotional amuse are bullying, harassment, and emotional abuse, so, unless there is someting more that hasn't been mentioned in this thread, SafeSport's authority should extend to the whole case.

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
I would hope parents wouldn't send their children to be coached by such a racist piece of trash like Ross Miner, but wouldn't be surprised that parents send their kids to him BECAUSE he's a racist piece of trash after his suspension. 6 months is FAR too lenient. Something like this should be career ending IMO.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Curious why you guys think its often the higher ranked skaters that do this kind of stuff...

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
Despite his silver at USN in 2018, I never thought of him as a top skater. I'm sure even lesser skaters turned coaches are committing their own harassment issues. I'm just not sure WHY in this era of anti-bullying anyone would continue that kind of behavior. It will always come back to hurt you, deservedly so.

VGThuy

He probably writes things like this on the regular so it was no big deal when he wrote it this time around. Was this his way of dealing with rejection from said skater or was that part of his "flirting"? He can't seem to deal with rejection well. I wonder what he said when he didn't make the Olympic team. Seeing what he wrote to the female Asian skater in the text message above, I'm sure he had a few choice words for Nathan and Vincent. Last time I checked, wasn't Miner engaged?

Six months is way too lenient.

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
I'm just not sure WHY in this era of anti-bullying anyone would continue that kind of behavior. It will always come back to hurt you, deservedly so.
This.

And I went to Ross's IG last night when I read this news, and he was very congratulatory to Nathan over some win in the past. I'm sure it's some combination of public vs private and also misogyny (bros before hos).

VGThuy

I'm not surprised that someone with Asian "friends" and who worked or been around Asian skaters nearly his whole life, and even vacationed with them (he was in a Hawaii-set Shibs vlog years ago), would still talk and act like that and think it's funny and ok.

mjb52

I know I am going to sound like I am 90 years old but what platform is that? Someone elsewhere said it was snapchat. Is that right? I know it isn't really important, my brain is just having a hard time even processing them because they are so awful.

GarrAargHrumph

I can kill you with my brain
In terms of suspensions: I know that many coaches coach even during their suspensions. They might coach at different rinks, and/or work with friends who coach - so they are the main coach, but their friends take their students to competitions, etc.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
In terms of suspensions: I know that many coaches coach even during their suspensions. They might coach at different rinks, and/or work with friends who coach - so they are the main coach, but their friends take their students to competitions, etc.
Yes, it makes the suspension punishment kind of toothless though for some coaches it does have more impact and often it has an impact over time. I.e., people decide they want a coach they can bring to competition and move on.

I am hoping the reason that the suspension is only 6 months with mandatory training is that Miner did something to indicate he is trainable and will benefit from a second chance. 🤞

just tuned in

Yes, it makes the suspension punishment kind of toothless though for some coaches it does have more impact and often it has an impact over time. I.e., people decide they want a coach they can bring to competition and move on.

I am hoping the reason that the suspension is only 6 months with mandatory training is that Miner did something to indicate he is trainable and will benefit from a second chance. 🤞
Trainable? Srsly, the most important thing to learn is to not use social media. Keep your reprehensible thoughts to yourself.

Vagabond

I'm not surprised that someone with Asian "friends" and who worked or been around Asian skaters nearly his whole life, and even vacationed with them (he was in a Hawaii-set Shibs vlog years ago), would still talk and act like that and think it's funny and ok.
I've been wondering what the Shibs must be feeling today. Disbelief, I imagine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information