Japan's Hanyu fumes at rival for 'intentional' collision

Sugar

Japan's Hanyu fumes at rival for 'intentional' collision
http://www.afp.com/en/news/japans-hanyu-fumes-rival-intentional-collision
Japan's Olympic figure skating champion Yuzuru Hanyu has accused rival Denis Ten of deliberately colliding with him during practice at the world championships.....The Japan Skating Federation is set to file a formal protest to the International Skating Union calling on them to warn Kazakhstan's Ten, who took bronze behind champion Hanyu at the 2014 Sochi Olympics..

bardtoob

I think Hanyu is still in shock from the CoC 2014 collision with the Chinese skater, where I think it was intentional. Denis was in the way at Worlds 2016 practice, but reports from off the ice said it looked unintentional.

Last edited:

mathil

No one collided with anyone. The accident is better explained in this article by Icenetwork with quotes from the interested parties.

In short, Ten got in Hanyu's way two times during the afternoon session of the second day of practice. Hanyu was having his SP run-through at that time and thus had right of way, but was forced to stop in his tracks both times (video here -- 1:29 and 2:54). Then, Ten got in Hanyu's way a third time the following day -- yesterday -- again during Hanyu's SP run-through, by doing a camel spin in Hanyu's 3A trajectory. As soon as he saw him Hanyu yelled out at him, changed course, tried for the 3A again but fell close to the boards and punched/hit them with his hand.
There are some reports of this from FSUers who went to the practices in the Kiss&Cry section here from post #197 onwards.

Meoima

According to the Kazakh commentator, Ten is now being shitstormed by crazy Hanyu-fans.
Well many Japanese fans are just saying it was accidental and there is no need to make it big. I don't get why the media is making it bigger. They think this sells more I guess.

Meoima

Regardless of CoC, Hanyu's behavior was a disgrace and made me lose a lot of respect for him. Screaming at Denis, punching the wall, and just having a plain old temper tantrum isn't sportsmanlike.
It was his run though, so the same person got into his way 3 times, it's normal to get angry, and they were in practice which means their bodies were full of andrenaline. I don't think it's that a big deal. They got mad for several minutes and it ended.
The issue is the media is making it big while it's not that serious.

Sugar

Livid Hanyu says Kazakhstan's Ten maybe after him
http://kyodonews.net/news/2016/03/31/55288
Yuzuru Hanyu believes Denis Ten was out to get him during practice ahead of the men's short program at the world figure skating championships on Wednesday.

"I saw the replay but I think it was intentional," Hanyu said, referring to the Kazakhstani who cut him off as he was training to music. "But I shouldn't have let him get to me. I should know better."

"I was an absolute mess, mentally. But because I had lost it completely, it allowed me to wipe the slate clean and focus on what I had to do."

"I thought to myself, 'Yes. I showed him.'"

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Regardless of CoC, Hanyu's behavior was a disgrace and made me lose a lot of respect for him. Screaming at Denis, punching the wall, and just having a plain old temper tantrum isn't sportsmanlike.

I know....

Carroll layed down the law, I like him so much.

mathil

Whether you agree with Hanyu's reaction or not, Ten was in the wrong, and the fact that it happened three times in two days speaks at the very least of carelessness from him. That the third incident happened after the two skaters had talked about it the day before means that Ten was aware of the fact but still did not pay enough attention. Other skaters seemed to be capable enough of staying out of Hanyu's way while he was having his runthrough.
I have no idea if Ten did so intentionally or not, of course, but I believe Hanyu had his good reasons to get angry.

GoddessMode

I think this is getting blown out of proportion, I was a little surprised about Yuzuru's reaction but no other skater is dealing with the level of pression he has besides Orser said that Yuzu was already kind of tense before the incident so maybe is a combination of things. I really dont think Ten did it in a intentional way. Lets hope they leave this behind.

GarrAargHrumph

I can kill you with my brain
I'd have thought Hanyu would go to Orser, and Orser would speak to Frank Carroll, rather than filing a formal whatever. Did that happen, but no results or something?

mathil

I'd have thought Hanyu would go to Orser, and Orser would speak to Frank Carroll, rather than filing a formal whatever. Did that happen, but no results or something?

I did post an Icenetwork article above where everything is explained. Ten and Hanyu talked normally after Ten got into his way two times during the second day of practice. The problem is that it happened again the following day and it was more dangerous -- that's when Hanyu got angry.

bardtoob

Last edited:

Jebrista

I'd just like to point out that watching out for EVERY other person on the ice in and of itself is a hard task. Bring into account that you're practicing triples and quads at a world practice session, and it becomes even harder. At any normal practice session at any rink there are many MANY times when skaters get in each other's way. It just happens. While it is someone's run through, we have to remember that all these skaters don't know everyone else's choreography, so they can't necessarily predict which direction other skaters are going while simultaneously focusing on their own skating. People get in each other's way sometimes....it happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information