ISU Statement on Russia's war against Ukraine - Participation in international competitions of Skaters and Officials from Russia and Belarus

caseyedwards

I agree there never should have been a middle ground. I keep likening it to South Africa and Apartheid. The entire country was banned from everything for years, as it should have been, and no doubt there were plenty of Sth African athletes who missed out, but because there was no middle ground there was no space for individual athletes to speak out.
I'm thinking Adam will get a lot of pushback from this.
Wars have been ignored for years as legitimate government policies not within ioc rules. Like all the United States invasions and bombjngs of countries which was not punished at all.

Debbie S

^^^ To add some context to the above, Benoit Richaud recently choreographed programs for Russian-born Polina Dzsumanyijazova (HUN) and her coach Leonid Sviridenko posted this from their time in New Jersey (Adam is in photo #2): https://www.instagram.com/p/C6i_X6huX-2/
It looks like Zingas/Kolesnik were there too this week...he just posted a story on IG with a photo of him, Richaud, and Adam. I suspect Adam's comments won't go over well with Vadym but I wouldn't expect Vadym to say anything publicly to that effect.

airgelaal

Ukrainian athletes also said that sports should be separated from politics. But the first destroyed sports facilities quickly put the brains in place.
russia threatens France with tanks and missiles every day. Perhaps Adam should wait until the russian missile destroys his skating rink. Will he even then sympathize with russian athletes who will pretend that they don’t see or know anything, but simply continue their lives outside of politics?

Jammers

I had no sympathy for Russia before the invasion with their systematic doping which i felt should have banned them in every way possible from the Olympics under any damn flag so i have zero ****s to give about the poor Russian athletes.

kosjenka

Pogorilaya’s fairy godmother
I think that insisting on that the war is the reason Russia and Belarus should be banned is wrong. It doesn’t take very long to think of several other countries in the recent history that started wars and kept on going without ever getting into this sort of trouble in the world of sports.

I would ban Russia for doping, and I would ban them for a long time. I wouldn’t stop with Russia.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I think that insisting on that the war is the reason Russia and Belarus should be banned is wrong. It doesn’t take very long to think of several other countries in the recent history that started wars and kept on going without ever getting into this sort of trouble in the world of sports.

I would ban Russia for doping, and I would ban them for a long time. I wouldn’t stop with Russia.
Again, the rationale for the ban is not necessarily the war but the timing of it - this is hardly the first time either, by the way, that Russia has chosen to invade another country during the Olympic Truce period - see 2014 (Crimea) and 2008 (Georgia). Russia should absolutely be banned for their repeated misconduct.

Can I see a bit of leniency toward Belarus? Perhaps. The problem is they are allowing Russia to use their facilities and land as a staging ground for the war.

caseyedwards

Again, the rationale for the ban is not necessarily the war but the timing of it - this is hardly the first time either, by the way, that Russia has chosen to invade another country during the Olympic Truce period - see 2014 (Crimea) and 2008 (Georgia). Russia should absolutely be banned for their repeated misconduct.

Can I see a bit of leniency toward Belarus? Perhaps. The problem is they are allowing Russia to use their facilities and land as a staging ground for the war.
This is totally phony. United States Great Britain and others illegally invaded Iraq and conducted war operations during 2004 Olympics 2006 Olympics 2010 and faced no consequence! This is phony. Why weren’t they punished for conducting wars during Olympics? Because it’s phony

airgelaal

Meanwhile in russia, Valieva, Plushenko and juniors Kostyleva and Dvoeglazova attended the inauguration. Were they forced again?

caseyedwards

Meanwhile in russia, Valieva, Plushenko and juniors Kostyleva and Dvoeglazova attended the inauguration. Were they forced again?
If they were “invited” they can’t reject it! They would be killed. So how can you say it was voluntary? You can’t say it was voluntary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information