ISU Grand Prix Assignments 2018/19 season

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Hosts don't have to replace any singles spots until the field drops to below 10, and that's only up to 14 days before the Leaders' Meeting for the event. I think we've been very lucky this season that more than half of the skaters and teams whose official drop-out date was within that 14-day period have been replaced. (I'm not sure how much unofficial heads up there was for the hosts to have time to get their replacement ducks in a row.)

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Hosts don't have to replace any singles spots until the field drops to below 10, and that's only up to 14 days before the Leaders' Meeting for the event. I think we've been very lucky this season that more than half of the skaters and teams whose official drop-out date was within that 14-day period have been replaced. (I'm not sure how much unofficial heads up there was for the hosts to have time to get their replacement ducks in a row.)

I think it's a bit shitty that audiences go to the expense of often buying tickets, hotel accommodation, and airfares, only to be handed this lack of consideration. Not to mention the skaters who are potentially losing out when athletes withdraw.

It's like attending a broadway play with actors absent. It makes me wonder if these organisations wonder where some of their finance is coming from!

I think it's time for the ISU to implement a stand-by policy where reserves are nominated in case skaters drop out.

Last edited:

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
You've got to take into consideration when you buy the ticket that any skater can drop out any time for pretty nearly any reason. It's just like going to a play or opera to see a specific actor or singer. It can work out great, or it can all go sideways (I've experienced both)! You pays your money and you takes your chances.

meggonzo

Banned Member
Thanks Sylvia and that's a shame if they don't / can't replace her spot. It isn't like she surprisingly broke her boot the week before. This has been a long standing issue for her. She is obviously within her right to decide when she should make a final decision to wtihdraw, but I wonder how much she actually felt she could realistically compete at the Russia GP and the international the week after.

There are skaters who would love to have a chance to compete at a GP. I am thinking of when Michelle Kwan withdrew from Turin and when Evgeni Plushenko did from Sochi individuals.

Do we even know the reason why Karen withdrew? Could be something new or unexpected.

Michelle Kwan was replaced by Emily Hughes in Turin -- what does that have to do with GP assignments?

Foolhardy Ham Lint

You've got to take into consideration when you buy the ticket that any skater can drop out any time for pretty nearly any reason. It's just like going to a play or opera to see a specific actor or singer. It can work out great, or it can all go sideways (I've experienced both)! You pays your money and you takes your chances.

I'd still like to see a full roster though. In the mid eighties, events like Skate America and Moscow News had about 15 or 16 entrants.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Whoah.

With Rika Kihara's massive win at NHK, there is a chance that Medvedeva may not make the final.

Here are the skaters most likely competing for a spot in Vancouver:

Completed two events

Miyahara 28 points (1st Skate America / 2nd NHK Trophy)
Tuktamysheva 26 points (1st Skate Canada / 3rd NHK Trophy)
Sakamoto 24 points (2nd Skate America / 3rd Helsinki)

Completed one event

Kihara 15 points (1st NHK Trophy + France)
Zagitova 15 points (1st Helinki + Rostelecom)
Yamashita 13 points (2nd Skate Canada + Rostelecom)
Konstantinova 13 points (2nd Helsinki + France)
Samodurova 11 points (3rd Skate America + Rostelecom)
Medvedeva 11 points (3rd Skate Canada + France)

Assuming that Zagitova and Kihara both medal at their events, the fight for the final will come down to Sakamoto, Yamashita, Konstantinova, Samodurova, and Medvedeva. It's going to be close!

Skaters who could potential throw a spanner into the works and also medal are Mai Mihara (in France), Yuna Shiraiwa (at Rostelecom), and Elizabet Tursynbaeva (at Rostelecom)
She would have to win in France over Kihara, Konstantinova and Medvedeva. So anything is possible, but I would not count on it.

Repeat after me:

KIHIRA. KIHIRA. KIHIRA.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Repeat after me:

KIHIRA. KIHIRA. KIHIRA.

There's a story the cabaret artist, Michael Feinstein, tells about a lady auditioning for a show.

She sings, "You say potato, and I say potato. You say tomato, and I say tomato.

Potato. Tomato. Tomato. Potato. Let's call the whole thing off."

Afterwards, the director says, Thank you Mrs Levene." To which she says, "It's Levine!"

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Repeat after me:

KIHIRA. KIHIRA. KIHIRA.

Come on ev'rybody, I say now let's play a game
I betcha I can make a rhyme out of anybody's name
The first letter of the name
I treat it like it wasn't there
But a "B" or an "F" or an "M" will appear
And then I say "Bo" add a "B" then I say the name
Then "Bo-na-na fanna" and "fo"
And then I say the name again with an ""f" very plain
Then "fee fi" and a "mo"
And then I say the name again with an "M" this time
And there isn't any name that I can't rhyme

Freddie!

Freddie Freddie bo-breddie
Banana fanna fo-reddie
Fee, fy, mo-mreddie.
Freddie!

Foolhardy Ham Lint

With ladies' technical merit skyrocketing last weekend, you have to wonder how many of the athletes will re-evalute their program content to compete with the likes of Kihira, Tuktamysheva, Zagitova, and Trusova on the Junior Circuit.

Will some with practice triple axels begin including them in their programs? More than ever, taking risks when the chips are down certainly seems like where the sport is heading.

Sylvia

TBD
The GP ladies' grid has not been updated yet (eta - now it is: https://isu.org/docman-documents-li...ries-2/17412-ladies-2018-19-all-6-events/file ) but Karen Chen's name has been removed from the Rostelecom Cup ladies' entries here: http://www.isuresults.com/events/cat03108921.htm

Do we even know the reason why Karen withdrew? Could be something new or unexpected.
Her original IG post stated (re-posting from the U.S. Ladies thread): "I need to be patient with this whole recovery process, so I realized that Russia isn't doable. This wasn't an easy decision, but I know that I want to feel 100% ready when I emerge back onto competitive ice."

Last edited:

Foolhardy Ham Lint

The GP ladies' grid has not been updated yet (eta - now it is: https://isu.org/docman-documents-li...ries-2/17412-ladies-2018-19-all-6-events/file ) but Karen Chen's name has been removed from the Rostelecom Cup ladies' entries here: http://www.isuresults.com/events/cat03108921.htm

So sorry to hear of Karen's withdrawal.

Unless a replacement came from Europe or someone training in Russia, I can't see a replacement being found in time. This season, with all of the withdrawals and a solid back up plan, is really p*ssing me off.

Sylvia

TBD
Only 2 ladies have not been replaced after last-minute withdrawals (Skate America & Helsinki), 1 man (Helsinki), and 1 dance team (NHK). Yes, it's unfortunate that Rostelecom Cup may be short 1 lady and 1 dance team, but overall many more Grand Prix replacements have been made this season than not.

gkelly

I'd still like to see a full roster though. In the mid eighties, events like Skate America and Moscow News had about 15 or 16 entrants.

Really? I wasn't paying attention in the 80s.

The first Skate America I attended, in 1994, had 9 men and 8 entries in each of the other disciplines.

In 1995, the first year of the Champions Series, there were only 9 in each of the singles events (7 pairs and 10 dance teams).

As the Champions Series/Grand Prix got more established, it was more common to start out with 12 entries in the singles events, though there were sometimes last-minute withdrawals. And of course the seeded skaters could enter three events, which left fewer spots available for lower ranked skaters.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Really? I wasn't paying attention in the 80s.

The first Skate America I attended, in 1994, had 9 men and 8 entries in each of the other disciplines.

In 1995, the first year of the Champions Series, there were only 9 in each of the singles events (7 pairs and 10 dance teams).

As the Champions Series/Grand Prix got more established, it was more common to start out with 12 entries in the singles events, though there were sometimes last-minute withdrawals. And of course the seeded skaters could enter three events, which left fewer spots available for lower ranked skaters.

I wonder how athletes were chosen to compete at Skate Canada, Skate America, Trophee Lalique, the NHK Trophy, and Moscow News back then?

feraina

I do. Thanks. The Golden Spin has 44 ladies scheduled, which is pretty exciting
And it also has a very large pairs field compared to the other challenger events. Maybe this will encourage some other challenger events to take place later in the year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information