Hawayek/ Baker Cheer Thread

Sylvia

TBD
Congratulations to Kaitlin & Jean-Luc on winning the Professional Skaters Association's Best Performance award in dance at 2015 Nationals! :)
Best Performance Dance | Kaitlin Hawayek and Jean-Luc Baker – Championship Free Dance
PSA Coaches – Pasquale Camerlengo and Angelika Krylova
Choreographer – Pasquale Camerlengo
Music Selection – Soundtrack of Romeo and Juliet (2013)
Costume Designer – Stephanie Miller
GSD thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/ind...psa-best-performance-edi-award-winners.95101/

ETA:
Does anyone has some of their vid interview's links, please?
I think these post-Nationals skate videos on IN are viewable by non-subscribers?
http://web.icenetwork.com/video/?content_id=37168325
http://web.icenetwork.com/video/v37173133/

Last edited:

belladashwood

I see them within 2 years challenging C/B.

I definitely agree, but it'll be more like overtaking C/B. I believe Kaitlin & Jean-Luc's rise could be very similar to D/W's during the 06-10 quad, and they have the skating skills & ice dance talent to really take the torch from Meryl & Charlie should they decided to "officially retire", especially since Kaitlin mentioned on TSL about Meryl mentoring her and then during the SD at nationals Charlie mentioned while commentating that he has a soft spot for Kaitlin & Jean-Luc.

Now to compare H/B's first season to D/W's first season in 06-07: D/W placed in 4th in both GP events, 3rd @ Natl's, 4th @ 4CC's, 7th @ Worlds; while H/B placed 6th & 3rd in their GP's; 4th @ Natl's, 5th @ 4CC's. I'd say they're pretty even: D/W went world's & established themselves as US #2 placing above Gregory & Petukhov; while Kaitlin & Jean-Luc won a GP medal & placed 5th at 4CC over their training mates Paul & Islam, and the fact that USFS sent H/B to 4CC's over H/D speaks volumes and that this team is really special.

I'm gonna try to read the tea leaves as best I can when it comes to next season, so here's what H/B need to do to move up faster: 1) have a really good GP season & try to at least place 4th or medal, say if they make the GPF it ups their chances at moving up faster at Natl's, 2) at Natl's I do think they'll be able to pass up H/D, however passing the Shibs will be a much harder task, at minimum H/B have to place 3rd and when it comes to 4CC's they have to pass up Gilles & Porrier, 3) have good debut at World's and try to place above the Shibs to establish themselves as US #2, placing at least 5th or 6th. Now looking back at how D/W did their soph season: they medaled at 1 GP, came 2nd at Natl's & 4CC's, and moved up to 6th at World's, now Charlie did say they had a bit of a soph slump not to mention they had to rework their Eleanor Rigby FD to get better judges reception.

If H/B are able to do those things I do think they'll be able to pass C/B in the 16-17 season, but they're really gonna have to crawl & scrap hard for it like D/W did when they were challenging to overtake B/A as US #1, especially since Igor is C/B's coach & holds a lot of political power.

aftershocks

Banned Member
The Skating Lesson has a great long interview with Kaitlin and Jean-Luc. They're very poised, but still so personable and relaxed; they seem like a very close, fun team. Great work ethic and approach to competition and their futures, too. http://www.theskatinglesson.com/our-interview-with-kaitlin-hawayek-jean-luc-baker/

Thanks for sharing this link. This is a great interview, but it was very distracting and frustrating the way Jenny kept inserting so many long cut-aways to their programs while they were talking. We can see the programs at any time. I wanted to see their faces and interaction as they responded to the questions. Toward the end of the interview, fortunately we do get to see more of them while they're talking. However, thumbs down on the way this interview was edited.

That said, Kaitlin and Jean-Luc are both quite delightful and refreshing with great senses of humor too. Very cool that after winning bronze at NHK, Jean-Luc sent his medal to his Mom (as he does all his medals). This one was very special though since his Mom had also won an ice-dance bronze at NHK 29 years ago. :)

Jammers

I wonder if H/B are the reason H/D left Detroit and their coaches since H/B are a real threat for next season to replace them as the 3rd team for Worlds? I think there is a real reason for H/D to fear them.

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ You should listen to the interview and hear their response to questions Jennifer posed about Hubbell/ Donahue.

Axcellence

I was really happy to find this thread as this is one of my new favorite teams from this season! I'm not usually someone who is moved by dance programs (sometimes I wonder if I'm emotionally undeveloped or something LOL because I've never cried watching skating and it usually doesn't have that effect on me), but their R&J FD did. It was honestly the first program I ever saw that I really "felt," and even now, is one of the few. (I can think of maybe four others). The moment I saw them skate that program at NHK was the moment I became a fan, and seeing them live at nationals only reinforced that. I was excited to find a thread where I could rave about them without being called, well, a raving lunatic. :D Honestly, any team who can make me feel like I 'get' ice dance is more than worthy of a rant-and-rave thread! Thank you, whoever started this!

Sylvia

TBD
Re-posting from the Shibutanis' thread:
Kaitlin is tiny too, though, I think she's like 5'0 and he's 5'6-7? 5-6 inch height difference is normal, they're perfectly matched if nothing else. Neither are going to grow anymore and I think their lifts look so stunning because they're so "little". I'm thinking he's not going to able to lift a taller or bigger girl anyway.
FWIW, in their ISU bio Hawayek is listed as 160 cm (= 5'3") and Baker as 174 cm (= 5'8 1/2").

For Chicago area fans, H/B will be featured skaters again at a "Skate Dance Dream" show - this time on August 29 at the Fox Valley Arena in Geneva, IL: http://skatedancedream.com/sdd/

Kaitlin teased on her Instagram that they may announce their music soon: https://instagram.com/p/4-HUvxCmuJ/

Their 2 Grand Prix events this fall are Skate America and Cup of China.

Last edited:

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
I loved that so much. Great angles in the camera work and 100% musicality. They are so talented and I really enjoy watching them, great personalities.

Sylvia

TBD
Cross-posting from the U.S. Dance news thread in GSD...

Kaitlin Hawayek/Jean-Luc Baker article: http://www.goldenskate.com/2015/08/kaitlin-hawayek-and-jean-luc-baker/

On their Short Dance to selections from The Nutcracker:
“We really pushed ourselves physically this year in the short dance,” said 21-year-old Baker, “from both an athletic approach and aesthetic stand point. Angelika (Krylova), Kaitlin and I choreographed it. Angelika did the ground work for it, but we all feel it’s a group effort and have a great rapport with our coaches.”
Free Dance: Music from The Theory of Everything (about the lives of Prof. Stephen Hawking and his wife) film soundtrack:
“We are portraying the aspects of falling in love with one another and then throughout the program, I begin to develop the struggles one has dealing with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS),” Baker explained. “Not just the patient’s problems, but the emotional standpoint of Kaitlin as she helps me through the issues. We are very proud of the product Pasquale (Camerlengo) has created for the two of us and how we all worked together to create it.”
Hawayek/Baker now are listed as alternates for both Nebelhorn Trophy and Ondrej Nepela Trophy, which leads me to believe they are assigned to Finlandia Trophy, Oct. 9-11, 2015.

Last edited:

manhn

From the article:

“I also just bought a bike and have enjoyed riding around some of the more pedestrian areas that are close to where I live and train,” she said. “I am constantly on the lookout for a new café or coffee shop where I love to go get a coffee, find a quiet corner and read a book. It’s a great way to relax on weekends after a long week of training!”

I agree!

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Hawayek, Baker reach for the stars with new free
Detroit duo to debut 'Theory of Everything' program at Finlandia Trophy

Posted 10/5/15 by Lynn Rutherford, special to icenetwork
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2015/10/05/152237084

ETA that H/B have 2 Challengers and 2 Grand Prix competitions this fall: Finlandia Trophy (Oct. 8-11), Skate America (Oct. 23-25), Cup of China (Nov. 6-8), and Tallinn Trophy (Nov. 18-22).

Last edited:

Jammers

Seems like everyone but H/B have already competed this season. I was getting worried there for a moment that they weren't getting a Senior B before the GP season.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Hawayek, Baker reach for the stars with new free
Detroit duo to debut 'Theory of Everything' program at Finlandia Trophy

Posted 10/5/15 by Lynn Rutherford, special to icenetwork
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2015/10/05/152237084

ETA that H/B have 2 Challengers and 2 Grand Prix competitions this fall: Finlandia Trophy (Oct. 8-11), Skate America (Oct. 23-25), Cup of China (Nov. 6-8), and Tallinn Trophy (Nov. 18-22).

Kaitlin, from the IceNetwork article:

"Ice dance is really about the entire package, and I think it's hard when you have a big height difference to show that great connection. We have a height difference -- sure, it's not that big -- and it gives us an opportunity to look into each other's eyes more effortlessly."

:) :respec:

suki

Is it just me, or does Jean-Luc bear a striking resemblance to 70s teen heart throb Shaun Cassidy? (I couldn't get my link to work, but if you go to You Tube, he has a number of videos.)

aftershocks

Banned Member
I think Kaitlin looks like a fairy princess with her elegant and charming prince! It looks good on them and something to grow with over the season. They are lovely as always. :)

belladashwood

I quite enjoyed their Nutcracker SD, I was so hoping for our team to be in 2nd after the SD, but alas they're not. I think with what they have planned for their FD, they'll definitely be on the podium, I just hope that their FD is such a hit that they'll be able to cover that 5pt gap and move into 2nd place overtaking Tobias & Tkachenko (who seem much more comfortable w/ their programs b/c they've been competing them since Aug @ Lake Placid, another thing I noticed is that w/ their FD Igor has them packaged very similar to how D/W were packaged for their 06-07 FD to Polovtsian Dances also using a similar arrangement as well, looks like Marina isn't the only recycling stuff that D/W or V/M did first for their students).

I suspect what happened in the SD with H/B is that they probably had some first performance jitters & are not fully comfortable with it just yet and they do seem slow to start to out the season and I suspect they use the first Senior B to feel out what kinks need worked out in order to change & improve their SD. They did however perform much better here & scored higher than last fall at Nebelhorn where Kaitlin fell after their twizzles in their Malaguena SD.

Things that do need worked on are hitting their levels overall, hitting those key points in the Ravensburger Waltz portion, no bobbles w/ the twizzles, less 2-footed skating & deeper edges, more closed hand holds & changes of hold, skate closer together, and more transitions. In addition I do think Kaitilin needs to work just a bit more on getting that balletic feel from her arm movement and extension by pointing her toes with their Nutcracker SD. Judging by their past performance history I personally feel that H/B are much stronger FD skaters than SD skaters, and I do expect them to shine with their Theory Of Everything FD which I cannot wait to see :cheer2::cheer:

arakwafan2006

For some reason, maybe the " who do you think you are new person" grinch in my old soul self didn't go wild with these two. I've seen them live and i stereotyped them...short guy etc. but dammit, I like them. This dance was great. Pasquale Camerlengo is fantastic at choreographing programs to look like a dream. This program looks like it came from someone's dream vs just movements that fit the music. I approve.

lauravvv

more closed hand holds & changes of hold, skate closer together, and more transitions. In addition I do think Kaitilin needs to work just a bit more on getting that balletic feel from her arm movement and extension by pointing her toes with their Nutcracker SD.
I agree with the latter, but not with the former. To me it looks like this SD is quite difficult for them already as it is. So, they should focus on polishing what they have this season, not on adding even more difficulty. They can do that next season with their new programs, or whenever they get more comfortable with the level of difficulty they have now.

~tapdancer~

Knees won't let me tap dance anymore
Really loved their FD at Skate America. Could see where they have room to improve but this a great program and I can see it being fantastic by nationals. I totally got the concept, too, they did a great job with the choreo and the performance of portraying Stephen and Jane with the progression of their life together. Jean Luc did an amazing performance, his expression was wonderful. They have progressed as a team and I feel their connection is definitely stronger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information