Gymnastics News #15

centerstage01

I missed it. :( Is there somewhere online I can read a PBP of the meet? I saw video of Gabby's beam (which was awesome) on YouTube but I heard she also killed it on bars.

MAXSwagg

So thrilled for Ryohei! Great, stylish routines as usual! The best style of the event. I hope he can keep improving to his potential and challenge for an AA podium spot in Rio.

I missed it. :( Is there somewhere online I can read a PBP of the meet? I saw video of Gabby's beam (which was awesome) on YouTube but I heard she also killed it on bars.

USA Gymnastics has uploaded the routines on their YouTube channel.

smarts1

I'm always surprised by how high Maggie scores on floor given her significant form issues especially compared to Gabby who has much cleaner form. Plus I'm not really a fan of her new routine. Her old routine was so much better!

VGThuy

Regarding Nichols, I honestly don't like either of her routines. This one seemed busier so she's moving more which to me is a good thing because I didn't think she did anything interesting in her last routine. I like how Gabby is basically getting away with doing almost to no choreography but it works for her new stone-cold killer strut vibe she's been projecting at competitions since her come back. Honestly, the Dutch gymnast Tisha had by far the best choreography.

It was funny when we heard Christina Aguilera's wailing for the first time during I think it was Ferlito's FX. So many in the crowd gave each other "wtf" looks when that happened and all I could think about was Sotnikova's horrendously boring LP to that same music. And then Mai Murakami comes out and the same wailing happens in the last third of her FX too. A lot of people thought it was a "Bring it On" moment. The Brit's FX music was horrible. If figure skating is having an issue with voice over dialogue for their routines, gymnastics is having an issue of weird sound effects just being used so a gymnast could do an isolated move to hit a "beat". So much snapping masquerading as choreography out there.

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
I agree about Maggie and couldn't think of a better team alternate if I tried. The floor routine and the wolf turns on beam are not the business. But she hit, and if the Amanar looks good by Trials I'd probably take her.

I want Laurie Hernandez in Rio though :cheer: she's much more interesting and polished IMO.

Gabby needed this win for confidence, now she has a win to motivate her to push through and upgrade. I love her UB, already a substantial difference in quality between podium training and the competition. Also - that beam routine :kickass: she's matured into a calm and reliable competitor.

Fix those jank looking leaps. :cautious:

Her tumbling on floor will prevent her from beating Simone, but she's the clear #2 in the World IMO. I can't really see Gabby upgrading much more than vault, her tumbling is kind of low and her dance elements need a lot of work. Maybe a piked pull-in?

Overall though my find of the meet was Tabea Alt and the gorgeous lines and UB work. I really like her, also Oliveira from Brazil had nice basics and Tinkler's gainer LO-LO-LO on beam was :smokin: albeit kind of ratchet.

ilovepaydays

I agree about Maggie and couldn't think of a better team alternate if I tried. The floor routine and the wolf turns on beam are not the business. But she hit, and if the Amanar looks good by Trials I'd probably take her.

After watching today's competition, I wonder how realistic Aly Raisman's chances are in making the Olympic team. I did think it was odd that she didn't compete here - but then again Kocian and Skinner weren't there either.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
If gymnasts who would be senior in the Olympic year were allowed to compete at the pre-Olympic worlds, Germany would have been qualified no problem. Alt is a good gymnast!

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
After watching today's competition, I wonder how realistic Aly Raisman's chances are in making the Olympic team. I did think it was odd that she didn't compete here - but then again Kocian and Skinner weren't there either.

I don't care for Aly's gymnastics but I think she's still got a good shot at the Olympic team. Marta tends to like her.

Awesome job by Gabby and Kato. Gabby was especially impressive on beam even though her switch ring wasn't really a ring....

eta: Gabby has garnered congratulations from no less than a Kween. ;)
https://twitter.com/MichelleWKwan/status/706219673810038785

Last edited:

danafan

Canadian ladies über
I haven't watched NBC's coverage yet but apparently they did not even show Ellie Black on floor and showed the "final results" on the screen without her name there, showing Tinkler in third. WTF?

honey

They did indeed do that, @danafan. I was looking at the online results at the same time as NBC's "final" results were shown and was more than a bit perplexed.

I wish Gabby could show even just a hint of personality on floor. It's obviously in there, but the way she performs now makes it look like she just doesn't give a crap.

There is no excuse for Maggie's techno Tango Jalousie. Much preferred last year's floor routine.

kwanoverrated

Banned Member
I don't care for Aly's gymnastics but I think she's still got a good shot at the Olympic team. Marta tends to like her.

I actually think if Hernandez makes the team it will be Aly she bumps (although it could also be Maggie). I think if someone bumps Kocian it will be someone else really strong on bars who brings more as an AAer so not Hernandez who isnt really a great bars worker.

smarts1

I think they only person who could have bumped Kocian was Kyla, but with Kyla gone, it seems that Kocian is a lock for the team. There isn't really anyone else who can really fill what Kyla/Maddy bring to the table (bars). If anyone is to bump Kocian, they're going to have to decent on bars and also be great on beam.

kwanoverrated

Banned Member
I think they only person who could have bumped Kocian was Kyla, but with Kyla gone, it seems that Kocian is a lock for the team. There isn't really anyone else who can really fill what Kyla/Maddy bring to the table (bars). If anyone is to bump Kocian, they're going to have to decent on bars and also be great on beam.

There are some who think an amazing beam worker can bump Kocian since the teams need is greater on beam than bars, or atleast they can gain more points there. I dont know, the international field is so weak on beam I think they would still take a proven bars worker over a beam worker. Someone who bumps Kocian would have to be roughly as strong on bars, and significantly more useful somewhere else.

VGThuy

Didn't Kocian recently show major upgrades on beam? Or did I just imagine that? I can't be too sure these days, ;)

I was worried before last Worlds that the U.S.'s weakness on beam was really going to hurt them, but then I saw that the rest of the world really wasn't any better and in some cases (most cases) a lot of worse. Still, I'm sure with Belu and Bitang back they'll have Ponor come out of her discoteca to do a solid beam routine and the Romanians tend to somehow manage to exceed the low expectations we've had for them since gym's code of points was adopted, and the Russians tend to wake up just in time for the Olympics some how, and maybe the Chinese can work their "magic" and have some fresh faces who can hit extraordinary beam sets.

skipaway

I wish Gabby could show even just a hint of personality on floor. It's obviously in there, but the way she performs now makes it look like she just doesn't give a crap.

I felt that way about Gabby the entire competition. Barely a smile with a I don't care attitude. I don't need my gymnast to be all unicorns and rainbows, but if they do a good routine, smile about it, wave to the crowd, look like it means something.

Lara

Bonjour/Hi to everyone at Worlds!
I haven't watched NBC's coverage yet but apparently they did not even show Ellie Black on floor and showed the "final results" on the screen without her name there, showing Tinkler in third. WTF?

The world feed on YouTube which I'd been following alongside NBC also skipped her routine. I don't have expectations for NBC and it wasn't a surprise they stayed on Donnell, but not getting it live online either pissed me off.

I really need to check when Gymnix is next year, thanks @danafan for filming.

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
What a blessing this will be. :watch: I expect it'll be raining many comedic blessings.

Her mom is completely nuts.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Seems Iordache will miss the test event due to a broken finger. http://www.intlgymnast.com/index.ph...ion-with-injury&catid=3:interviews&Itemid=168

It will be very difficult for Roumania to qualify now. Just shows how short sighted FIG was by allowing apparatus medalists to qualify directly for the Olympics but not an AA medalist. Romania might only get one spot in Rio but for example Germany is already guaranteed at least two since Schaefer won an individual medal on beam.

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
I can't believe how bad things have gone for Romania this quad, realistically without Iordache I just can't see them qualifying a full team. Even with Ponor, Bulimar, and Munteanu at full strength it would be a huge task. They can't afford any UB meltdowns or falls anywhere...

ilovepaydays

WOW. This is just unbelievable about Romania. Can Iordache qualify for the Olympics individually, or did she do that a;ready with the AA bronze at Worlds last year? Can she (or anyone else) qualify at Europeans?

Fridge_Break

#HotMessExpress
^ I believe Iordache does not have a spot wrapped up for Rio. World AA medalists are not granted a spot, whereas event final medalists are. Why? You're guess is as good as mine.

OnyxRose81

AA medals at Worlds don't qualify a gymnast to Rio, only EF medals (stupid). Romania has one spot that they can give to anyone because they qualified to the test event and that will almost certainly go to Iordache but everyone else will be out of luck.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
I believe AA medalists don't automatically qualify because no one in the FIG anticipated an AA medalist would ever come from a non-qualifying team. Seriously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information