Grand Prix Series of Seasons 2022/23 & 2023/24

skatfan

Since US Nationals is in San Jose (and I’m smart because I’m moving back to the area next month!), I’d guess Skate America will be east.

Dobre

I think Korea would be a perfect place for a GP and that it doesn't matter if they don't have top pairs or dance teams. The best dance events are always the neutral country ones anyway because the top teams would rather meet there than in their competition's backyard where the scoring is likely to be biased in another team's favor. But my impression is that the Korean Federation had something of a political mess after their Olympics & lost their major sponsor via the process so I doubt the federation has the funding to host a regular GP. (Also, I'm not sure Asia is yet a good bet for being open for international travel).

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Since US Nationals is in San Jose (and I’m smart because I’m moving back to the area next month!), I’d guess Skate America will be east.
I'm pretty sure that the location of Nationals and the location of SkAm don't have much of a relationship or effect on each other.

skatfan

I'm pretty sure that the location of Nationals and the location of SkAm don't have much of a relationship or effect on each other.
Really? It’s the same group organizing, and the last time US Nationals was in San Jose, Skate America was in Lake Placid - can’t get much farther east than that.

Karen-W

Really? It’s the same group organizing, and the last time US Nationals was in San Jose, Skate America was in Lake Placid - can’t get much farther east than that.
Hmmm... looking at the locations in the past fifteen years (excluding 2021 & 2022 due to Covid):

Season - SkAm - Nats
2019-20 Las Vegas - Greensboro
2018-19 Everett WA (Seattle) - Detroit
2017-18 Lake Placid - San Jose
2016-17 Chicago - Kansas City
2015-16 Milwaukee - St Paul
2014-15 Chicago - Greensboro
2013-14 Detroit - Boston
2012-13 Kent WA (Seattle) - Omaha
2011-12 Ontario CA (SoCal) - San Jose
2010-11 Portland - Greensboro
2009-10 Lake Placid - Spokane
2008-09 Everett WA (Seattle) - Cleveland
2007-08 Reading PA - St Paul
2006-07 Hartford CT - Spokane

They do seem to try and vary the geographic region but it's not a hard and fast rule - both the 2016-17 and 2015-16 seasons featured both events in the Midwest, and the 2011-12 season had both in California. I don't know that San Jose hosting Nats this coming season guarantees that SkAm will head east this fall, though it does seem more likely than not.

pat c

Saint John
Mississauga
Saskatoon
Quebec City
Mississauga
Halifax
St. John's
Victoria
Quebec City
Ottawa
Kitchener
Kingston
Mississauga
Windsor
St. John
Kelowna
Lethbridge
Mississauga
Regina
Laval
Kelowna
cancelled
Vancouver
2022? It should be down east somewhere..........Que east........but who knows.

skategal

Bunny mama
Saint John
Mississauga
Saskatoon
Quebec City
Mississauga
Halifax
St. John's
Victoria
Quebec City
Ottawa
Kitchener
Kingston
Mississauga
Windsor
St. John
Kelowna
Lethbridge
Mississauga
Regina
Laval
Kelowna
cancelled
Vancouver
2022? It should be down east somewhere..........Que east........but who knows.
Halifax…..Halifax…..Halifax….Halifax

Maybe if I say it enough it will come true?!?! :lol::saint:

sk9tingfan

According to this article, it is the intention of the ISU to move Grand Prix events outside of China and Russia; the former due to Crud restrictions and the latter due to the situation in Ukraine. My guess is that Talinin will be one of the new sites and well-deserved!

Karen-W

After the way Estonia stepped up twice this year to host on short notice...if they want to host the second Europe GP, I'm all in for them.
Well, but there have also been some hints that it is really not financially beneficial to be hosting all these comps, and I'm not hearing reports that the GPs are some huge money-maker, so I could see them hesitating.

Italy might pass since they're already hosting the GPF, but I could also see them bidding with the intent of keeping it long-term, especially if it looks like Russia will be gone for more than just the next season.

Also, it seems kind of obvious, if the ISU is taking the GP away from Russia now that we shouldn't expect ANY Russian skaters to be assigned/invited to any GPs next season. It will be really interesting to see how the ISU deals with all those Russians occupying the SB and WS Top 24 who are guaranteed at least 1 assignment as well as the Top 75 lists of skaters eligible to be invited once all the seeded/guaranteed assignments are made.

Last edited:

Orm Irian

I've seen Twitter reports from people who were at Worlds that I de F is moving from Grenoble to Angers, and that GPF 2023 will apparently be in Orleans, France. Has anybody else heard likewise?

(Apparently the French fed has a new sponsor for 2022-23 - a bank - hence the ability to splash money on fancy presentation at Worlds.)

Jammers

I'm all for the ISU taking away the GP from China they seem to have given up on figure skating anyways now that S/H won their Gold medal for them and they didn't even field a team at Worlds. Their crud restrictions at the Olympics were to much as far as i'm concerned i wish they had been this proactive over two years ago then maybe we wouldn't have been in this mess to begin with.

Karen-W

I've seen Twitter reports from people who were at Worlds that I de F is moving from Grenoble to Angers, and that GPF 2023 will apparently be in Orleans, France. Has anybody else heard likewise?

(Apparently the French fed has a new sponsor for 2022-23 - a bank - hence the ability to splash money on fancy presentation at Worlds.)
GPF 2023 has already been alloted to Orleans, yes. And it was known last fall, at IdF, that it would be in Angers next season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information