Gracie Gold set to return

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willin

Yet we still generally see very slim male skaters and male skaters have talked about food and weight issues (Adam Rippon most recently) and some have clearly exhibited disordered eating at the very least (Johnny Weir living on one Starbucks drink a day). So are you saying that there is a "feminine ideal" for male skaters, too? Odd since skaters like Weir struggled with judges for being too femme.

Or it could be that there is an ideal body type for jumping and a more ideal body type for creating the lines in disciplines like pairs because of the influence of ballet.

Of course, this is America in 2018 and if we can attach the word "feminine" to anything, it becomes evil and we can hate on it, so I get you. And God forbid you have a slim body type naturally as a woman because clearly it isn't natural and you have an eating disorder. Been there, done that. My favorite life moment was being accused of it by an employer.
Where did literally any of this come from?

Why would you assume I think male skaters have to follow a feminine ideal? In my post I only mentioned female skaters in that respect. I'm sure male skaters feel just as much pressure to be "masculine" as some female skaters have to be "feminine." And then you have skaters like Adam or Max who are criticized for being too muscular and not having an "ideal" skating body (which, of course, is also ideal to some female skater because good butts). So, no, I don't think there's a "feminine ideal" for male skaters. Rather, I think there is a set of unrealistic ideals for male and female skaters.

And how the heck did you get out of my post that there's an ideal body type for jumping and one for creating lines? What my post was saying is that it's totally possible to do both and do them well with any body type - just that judges/coaches/the powers that be only seem to like one of those body types.

Japanfan

Don't use AxelAnnie's post to for your ideology propaganda of yet another lets feel sorry for the underdogs and their "weight, women, sports image"... AxelAnnie is right, all these issues are important, but Gracie should NOT be the focus of them in the public news, because she has FEELINGS and is dealing with those PRIVATE issues, and needs PRIVACY.

My comment was a response to "it's not an important story".

I agree with you and AA that the news shouldn't focus on it, and that Gracie should be allowed privacy.

But what if Gracie wants to share her story publicly, like Liz Manley and Clara Hughes shared their struggles with mental illness? Do you not think that could be of value to some people going through similar struggles?

AA's post is about Gracie's PRIVACY and not the value of the issues. Go find "an underdog to defend" someplace else.. and for your own sanity, find a WINNER to side with for a change.. :lol:

FYI, I never considered Gracie an underdog (though I do often root for the underdog) - to the contrary, I saw her as favored.

Last edited:

Japanfan

@Japanfan A sport notorious for eating disorders is wrestling which is male dominated.

And jockeys, though equestrian may not be as male dominated as it used to be.

Framing eating disorders in sports as an exclusively female issue is problematic for several reasons. It ignores reality, first of all, as statistics as of 2017 suggested that as many as 33% of male university athletes had eating disorders including sports no one would suspect like football (binge eating is also an eating disorder that people often dismiss since on the surface it is not dangerous)--but since the assumption is that that is a female problem, they are less likely to be diagnosed or treated.

I don't doubt that male athletes have eating disorders or disordered eating, and agree that the issue merits attention. You gave the example of Johnny Weir, and I agree that he has seemed to be rather obsessive about dieting. He was on a cooking show once - I don't recall which one - and I remember him cooking meat in such a way as to minimize the fat - his host politely told him that America wouldn't like that.

@PDilemma So yes, I do think this is about the "feminine ideal" or the "ideal skater body" than technical ability.

There is particular pressure on women to pursue a feminine ideal. In this society, it's a thin ideal.
This is related to the objectification of the female body.

Is there less pressure for women to be thin today than there was when I was in my teens and 20s, in the 70s and 80s? I don't think so. In fact, I think there may be more pressure, given than cosmetic surgery has become more common.

If there is pressure on women to be thin in general, there is going to be even more pressure on female athletes for whom aesthetics are important. The issue of eating disorders/disordered eating among gymnasts and figure skaters is one that people have generally been aware of for quite some time. But I don't know that anything is really being done to address it.

Of course, this is America in 2018 and if we can attach the word "feminine" to anything, it becomes evil and we can hate on it, so I get you. And God forbid you have a slim body type naturally as a woman because clearly it isn't natural and you have an eating disorder. Been there, done that. My favorite life moment was being accused of it by an employer.

:confused: It's hardly news that some women have a slim body type. But there is 'thin' and there is 'skater thin'.

It also contributes to the still pervasive notion that sports may be too much for young women to handle, that they are too fragile.

Despite that, women have proven that they can not only handle sports, but excel in them.

vesperholly

My comment was a response to "it's not an important story".

I agree with you and AA that the news shouldn't focus on it, and that Gracie should be allowed privacy.

But what if Gracie wants to share her story publicly, like Liz Manley and Clara Hughes shared their struggles with mental illness? Do you not think that could be of value to some people going through similar struggles?
100% agreed. Gracie wouldn't have done that very candid interview if she didn't want to - it's not like CNN or Good Morning America was badgering her for answers.

analia

I've never found people sharing their experiences of this and that of value to anyone but themselves. It's a matter of whether she wants the attention to build a media personality career after skating. So far the spin isn't all that catchy yet unless she comes back really strong, which her PR team probably knows and wants to wait and see. American media machine is increasingly rough these days as far as I can tell. No one should venture out there without a goal in mind.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
And then you have skaters like Adam or Max who are criticized for being too muscular and not having an "ideal" skating body (which, of course, is also ideal to some female skater because good butts).

*shudders* I remember an off-season interview with Max - 2015 I think it was - where he talked about changing up his diet because he'd been told he was getting "too big". And I would look at the pictures in those skin-tight costumes and think, there is no fat on you, how could anyone call you big? And think about the danger that telling a hyper-perfectionist, as so many of them are at the top level, too big.

And to think of Arutunian referring to Adam as an "elephant" - it makes me feel ill, and yet there are people on this very board clamouring for him to be allowed to do whatever he wants without checks and balances from the "PC brigade" as they call it! They want Arutunian to be allowed to starve his skaters!

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
I've never found people sharing their experiences of this and that of value to anyone but themselves. It's a matter of whether she wants the attention to build a media personality career after skating. So far the spin isn't all that catchy yet unless she comes back really strong, which her PR team probably knows and wants to wait and see. American media machine is increasingly rough these days as far as I can tell. No one should venture out there without a goal in mind.

And why would you think that what you have found of value is what everyone else in the world has found of value?

I find other persons, including skaters, sharing experiences to which I can relate to be of value. Sometimes of great value. I have no doubt that someone struggling with depression might find Gracie's story and interview to be helpful. And some might not. Like everything else in life, it depends.

The only "goal" that Gracie may have had is telling the truth about herself. And perhaps helping others. I don't know why she would need another one:huh:

I have been impressed by her journey and wish and hope for the best.:cheer2:

Japanfan

I've never found people sharing their experiences of this and that of value to anyone but themselves.

And why would you think that what you have found of value is what everyone else in the world has found of value?

It's been pretty much understood for a very long time that people benefit from support when they are having a difficult time, be it due to a physical condition, a mental condition, a loss, or a major life change. There may be some people who prefer to face life difficulties and circumstances all by themselves, but I would think they would be the exception to the norm.

People with mental health problems are in particular need of support because there is still a stigma against these problems. They may be viewed as something an individual should just 'get over', as indicative of weakness, or as indicative that a person is 'crazy'.

Individuals with mental health problems often isolate, or just cover it up. And individuals with eating disorders often keep their condition secret as much as possible. Eating disorders in part are an attempt to exert control, and sharing the problem and getting help requires a surrender of control.

Knowing that one is not alone in dealing with difficult challenges or circumstances contributes a lot to individuals' capacity to recover and move forward.

I have been impressed by her journey and wish and hope for the best.:cheer2:

Yes. She recognized that she was in trouble and needed help. And has been brave and forthcoming in sharing her story.

I never cared much for Gracie as a skater, but have a lot of respect for her as a person.

just wondering

*shudders* I remember an off-season interview with Max - 2015 I think it was - where he talked about changing up his diet because he'd been told he was getting "too big". And I would look at the pictures in those skin-tight costumes and think, there is no fat on you, how could anyone call you big? And think about the danger that telling a hyper-perfectionist, as so many of them are at the top level, too big.

And to think of Arutunian referring to Adam as an "elephant" - it makes me feel ill, and yet there are people on this very board clamouring for him to be allowed to do whatever he wants without checks and balances from the "PC brigade" as they call it! They want Arutunian to be allowed to starve his skaters!

I vaguely recall that interview with Max, as well, but I recall it a bit differently. The concern about his size was not body fat related, but rather muscular composition. As in too much muscular bulk for his body type to successfully and consistently jump quads and create lines. A change in diet was recommended, as was a change in workout type. In tandem, they were designed to create a better, competitive figure skating athlete.
Your recollection of Max with no body fat was spot on, though! :)

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
^^^ I bumped this thread up last week asking the same question. Surprising that no one has any skinny on her. Does she train secluded?

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Gracie deserves her privacy. It’s what is best for her. I respect everyone who sees her train but is not spreading rumors.
That goes for all the skaters. There is a tacit agreement amongst skaters who skate at a rink where there are top level skaters to keep their mouth shut in exchange for having the privlege to watch the magic happen.

Sylvia

TBD
Best wishes to Gracie Gold as she returns to competition this week at Rostelecom Cup in Moscow! :) She's confirmed as going in USFS' press release today.

ETA that the songs used in her programs, choreographed by Jeremy Abbott, are:

SP: "I Put a Spell On You" by Annie Lennox
FS: "She Used to be Mine" by Sara Bareilles (from the musical Waitress)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information