"Gold on Ice" April 19, 2024 in Leesburg, VA featuring 3 World champions & a silver medalist!

livetoskate

I'm getting tempted to drive up to see the show! What a great idea with no Stars on Ice this year. Nothing else is going on w/skating for a while, and I found some reasonably priced hotels around Leesburg. I just hope traffic isn't too awful getting there on a Friday afternoon.

Poptarts

Okay, this is probably a silly question but I’m trying to anxiously plan ahead of how early to leave work…should I worry about DC like traffic trying to get there in time from WV/Maryland? Sorry, I am terrible with directions lol.

Debbie S

Oh put me to shame why don't you! I can't quite face the idea of driving an hour from mid-town DC in rush hour to get there. :slinkaway
Hey, I'm driving from even further! ;)

I checked Google Maps yesterday around 4:30 (VIP tix get in at 6, i guess we can watch the warmup) to see what standard Friday traffic looked like. It told me 1 hour 45 min, and recommended taking I-70 to Frederick and then Rt 15 down to Leesburg. It looked like there were 2 accidents on I-95 and 1 on 495. :yikes:

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Okay, this is probably a silly question but I’m trying to anxiously plan ahead of how early to leave work…should I worry about DC like traffic trying to get there in time from WV/Maryland? Sorry, I am terrible with directions lol.
If you are coming from the west to Leesburg you won't have much to worry with DC traffic.

Gayo

Hey, I'm driving from even further! ;)

I checked Google Maps yesterday around 4:30 (VIP tix get in at 6, i guess we can watch the warmup) to see what standard Friday traffic looked like. It told me 1 hour 45 min, and recommended taking I-70 to Frederick and then Rt 15 down to Leesburg. It looked like there were 2 accidents on I-95 and 1 on 495. :yikes:
Rt. 15 is preferable but you probably know that it’s one lane each way. I take it from Frederick and so far never experienced tie ups in 40 years but you never know.

livetoskate

I don't know which direction you're coming from, but in general, Friday afternoon/evening traffic in that whole area is a LOT. Allow plenty of time.
Definitely. I used to live in northern Virginia over 20 years ago, and every time I've gone up (from NC) to visit friends and relatives, traffic has gotten worse. That's the good thing about being self-employed-- I can leave in the morning, get into Leesburg before 4pm & chill out before the show!

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
^^^ For context - Jan. 12 post in GSD ;):

Skaters scheduled to perform on April 19 in addition to the 2024 Worlds medalists:
Keegan Messing, Donovan Carrillo, Polina Edmunds, Emily Bratti/Ian Somerville, Elizabeth Tkachenko/Alexei Kiliakov, Sarah Everhardt, Philip Warren, Sebastian Mendez (https://www.instagram.com/samuraiseb).
Great spirit, Sylvia. You could’ve dug out the email in which I de-jerked him for earning enough money to help the family.

Frau Muller

Oh put me to shame why don't you! I can't quite face the idea of driving an hour from mid-town DC in rush hour to get there. :slinkaway
My husband’s just renting a car at the airport the day before the show & we’re staying with the 104-yr-young friend in Falls Church. We’ll get there whenever…aiming early, as the doors open a bit early for VIP seats. If I lived there, I’d take a couple of hours off work and begin driving early.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
My husband’s just renting a car at the airport the day before the show & we’re staying with the 104-yr-young friend in Falls Church. We’ll get there whenever…aiming early, as the doors open a bit early for VIP seats. If I lived there, I’d take a couple of hours off work and begin driving early.
yes its definitely calling for going before rush hour but then I still have to drive home in the dark.

I'm just not much for driving where there is traffic.

SkateSand

Cat Servant
yes its definitely calling for going before rush hour but then I still have to drive home in the dark.

I'm just not much for driving where there is traffic.
You could spend the night and drive back in the morning. :rollin: Yes, you have the added expensive of a hotel room but then you don't have to drive home in the dark. I don't drive in the dark unless it truly can't be helped as I have terrible night vision.

Sylvia

TBD
Replying to @Poptarts here:
Gold on Ice
VIP gets seats on the Ice for better experience,Doors opens at 6PM,Meet and Greet after the Show,Party with DJ at Lu's Bar after the show.
We get a party also? That is exciting! I wonder what it’ll be like?
Did you buy a VIP ticket? ETA: I see in a previous post that you said you did. Be sure to report back here afterwards! :)

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
As has been previously mentioned, Google Maps always offers the option to look up directions to leave at/arrive by a certain time during the week and it’ll give the general range of how long it takes based on previous data.

There can always be unforeseen delays, but this should be the basis for anyone worried about traffic.

Frau Muller

Don't snipe at Sylvia, I'm the one who made the joke. And I never saw any e-mail.
I won’t snipe at you because I love your avatar with Grimm/Savitsky! I’m fine with Sylvia too, as she finds a lot of good info for us. 👍

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
That's an awful lot of trouble to go to for the Jerk of the Century, isn't it? :saint:

I get that. Friday night D.C. rush hour traffic is no small thing.
There are those of us who can’t pick up our guests on the Mall til 5:15 and somehow need a dinner before show starts. And one guest has the longest list of dietary restrictions ever, it’s not like we can stop at Chipotle. :(

I will gently prepare them for no dinner at all.

Last edited:

peibeck

Simply looking
There are those of us who can’t pick up our guests on the Mall til 5:15 and somehow need a dinner before show starts. And one guest has the longest list of dietary restrictions ever, it’s not like we can stop at Chipotle. :(

I will gently prepare them for no dinner at all.

I'm sure the arena might have "gourmet" chicken tenders or "epicurean" burgers, or at least popcorn for the most picky gourmands in existence. :p

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I'm sure the arena might have "gourmet" chicken tenders or "epicurean" burgers, or at least popcorn for the most picky gourmands in existence. :p
I wonder if I can find that out on Monday. Seriously, our friend can’t eat onion, garlic, citrus, wine, cruciferous veggies, tomatoes, spicy anything, and more. I can’t eat gluten. It makes arena food chancy.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
That is a tough one. Maybe they have some good vending machines ... ?

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I wonder if I can find that out on Monday. Seriously, our friend can’t eat onion, garlic, citrus, wine, cruciferous veggies, tomatoes, spicy anything, and more. I can’t eat gluten. It makes arena food chancy.
If you are leaving the Mall at 5:15 shouldn't you be able to make it to Leesburg by 6:30 to catch dinner in a nearby restaurant, if there is one?

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
If you are leaving the Mall at 5:15 shouldn't you be able to make it to Leesburg by 6:30 to catch dinner in a nearby restaurant, if there is one?
I’m betting on 1.5 hours. Plus time to rink from restaurant. Basically 46 min to eat.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I’m betting on 1.5 hours. Plus time to rink from restaurant. Basically 46 min to eat.
well that's possible as long as you don't have an experience like @AYS and I had when we went to Stars On Ice in 2019 in Reading, PA. We had everything perfectly planned out, including a reservation at a nice restaurant (really!) the only problem was it was more crowded than they were used to and we waited and waited and waited for our food and finally had to eat literally as fast as we could in 5 minutes and run all the way to the arena. :lol:

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
well that's possible as long as you don't have an experience like @AYS and I had when we went to Stars On Ice in 2019 in Reading, PA. We had everything perfectly planned out, including a reservation at a nice restaurant (really!) the only problem was it was more crowded than they were used to and we waited and waited and waited for our food and finally had to eat literally as fast as we could in 5 minutes and run all the way to the arena. :lol:
Yikes! I think Panera or something like that is our best bet!

Debbie S

Hershey, not Reading. :)

I was there, but no pre-show meal. I think my mom and i smuggled in cookies. Which is what I'll probably be eating for dinner before this show.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Hershey, not Reading. :)

I was there, but no pre-show meal. I think my mom and i smuggled in cookies. Which is what I'll probably be eating for dinner before this show.
No there was a show December 28, 2019 in Reading that wasn't part of the tour, ostensibly a "holiday show." Gilles & Poirier skated, and I should remember who else but right now I'm blanking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information