Cycling 2021

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
And it begins! The first stage of Paris-Nice is Monday, March 9th. For US viewers, its 2 am on NBCSN. Good practice for Worlds.

There are a lot of people switching teams this year. Israel SUN is loaded!

Aceon6

Stage 1 in the books. There were multiple crashes and Ritchie Porte (now on Ineos) looked a bit dented and demoralized after his. I have a headache from all the team member, team name, and equipment changes!

Aceon6

Another crashy day at Paris Nice. George Bennet hit a metal pole on a very narrow street and broke his helmet. He must have passed the initial concussion protocol as he hopped back on the bike, but he’s going to have a helluva headache tomorrow.

Aceon6

I think I’m talking to myself here, but the news of two Americans in the top ten is just too good. Brandon McNulty is in 3rd, 37 seconds behind Primoz. Matteo Jorgenson is 58 seconds behind in 6th.

Garden Kitty

Tranquillo
I've been busy this week, so I haven't had much time to watch Paris-Nice. I missed reading about Bennet's crash - ouch!

Aceon6

Astana now has 3 riders in the top 10. I’m curious as to the strategy.

Aceon6

More crashes! McNulty forced to abandon. I’m beginning to understand why some riders avoid this race.

Garden Kitty

Tranquillo
Astana now has 3 riders in the top 10. I’m curious as to the strategy.
I guess it helps if someone crashes, and it also creates a lot of people for the other riders to potentially chase down. But sometimes it can just happen when strong "helpers" stay with their leader on a big climb. I haven't been following this race closely enough to see how it happens, but they should have that team category locked up! :)

Aceon6

And Paris-Nice completes as Survivor. The only things that could keep Roglic from the title was a crash and a mechanical and that’s exactly what happened. Congrats to repeat winner Schachmann of Bora and to US rider Jorgenson who finished 8th.

McNulty, who crashed out in stage 7, is going to be fine. He had a lot of surface damage, but nothing that will keep him from training once he’s less sore.

Aceon6

Glad I'm still working at home during the Tour de France and nice to have it back in July.
I love it. Such a great way to start the day. I just love the pre-show.
And thanks to your reminder, I will now bookmark the TdF tracking page on the computer!

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
It’s really starting to feel like Tour season again, with some Vino drama to kick things off in traditional fashion.

Anyway, my Tour has already been made by the presence of Cav on the start line! Although I am sad about Bennett’s injury (and the fact that he may be moving to Ineos.)

How many days till Loulou breaks out the rocking-the-baby victory salute? Looks like the course designer is aiming for Stage 1.

And away from the Tour, some horrible news about Koen de Kort.

Garden Kitty

Tranquillo
It’s really starting to feel like Tour season again, with some Vino drama to kick things off in traditional fashion.

Anyway, my Tour has already been made by the presence of Cav on the start line! Although I am sad about Bennett’s injury (and the fact that he may be moving to Ineos.)
Completely agree about Cav. I wish it weren't at Sam's expense, and I don't expect any results from him, but I do love that he's getting a chance to ride.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
It’s great to see Cav be so excited just to ride. I am sad for Sam, though. A sprinter riding for Ineos is a mistake. You’d think he could look at Cav’s year with Sky to see the problems there.

I am sad because I timed my vacation to avoid missing the Olympics but I’m going to miss most of the Tour. I’m visiting my sister/nieces until Wednesday, then on July 5th I leave for vacation through July 21st

Aceon6

Holy sh!t! Some idiot spectator wiped out many of the top riders in the run up to the finale of Stage 1. I hope none are seriously hurt. Soler got the worst of it.

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
Grandparent-loving spectator joins the idiot fan hall of fame alongside Eric of Alpe d'Huez, the golden retriever owner, and too many others.

After two such spectacular crashes it's lucky that (as far as we know) there weren't any serious injuries; the crash with the spectator reminded me of the Armentieres policeman incident in 1994, which had a much worse outcome. I also hope the fan who was thrown into a ditch with about ten riders on top of him in the second crash is alright too.

No surprise at an Alaphilippe win but still a storming victory. Though he went for the thumb-sucking salute instead of rocking the baby. Oh well, there's the Mûr de Bretagne tomorrow.

Garden Kitty

Tranquillo
I was out this AM, but saw tons of clips with the idiot and their sign. I guess their grandma and grandpa will get to see them a lot on the news.

I don't know if it's the Tour or the Teams, but I like the face masks that match the jerseys on the podium.

Garden Kitty

Tranquillo
Lachlan Morton from EF Cycling is doing the "alt tour" - riding the Tour route alone at different times and without the team cars for support. He's trying to beat the race to Paris. Other riders were joking that if he wants the full experience, someone should chase him down with a cardboard sign.

Aceon6

G (Geraint Thomas) had a bad fall today for no apparent reason. It seems he dislocated his shoulder. Unfortunately, Kruijswijk went over the top of G and is out of the race.

Correction, it was Robert Gesink, not Kruijswijk who had to abandon.

Last edited:

Garden Kitty

Tranquillo
I screamed so loud at the ending today that I chased my poor sleeping cat out of the room!

I felt bad for Brent van Moer, but very happy for the winner.

Last edited:

emason

Sorry, but ABC here - Anybody But Cav. There is something about him that I find so dislikeable.

kedrin

I understand where you're coming from. I think he doesn't filter, which means you see the bad, but also the good. There are times when I also dislike him- and then, others where I find him entirely genuine and likeable.

Garden Kitty

Tranquillo
Completely agree about Cav. I wish it weren't at Sam's expense, and I don't expect any results from him, but I do love that he's getting a chance to ride.
OK, this post didn't age well. :)

He's clearly in form, but I also give credit to his team. Always impressive to see a star and World Champion like Alaphilippe do so much work to help pull back the break aways and give Cav a chance. It was cute when Tim Declerq came up to hug him after the stage saying "You're in the form of your life" and Cav immediately responded "I'm on the team of my life".

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information