As the Page Turns (the Book Thread)

sk8pics

OTOH, I loved "Lessons in Chemistry" by Bonnie Garmus and read it very quickly. I loved the themes she explored and so many of the characters. (And I loved to hate some of the other characters.) I think this book resonates with a lot of women. Everyone I know who has read it really likes it.
Thanks for the reminder about this; I put a hold on an e-book copy in my library.

I’m reading right now Open by Andre Agassi. I think someone here on FSU mentioned it. Fabulous. I was hooked by the time I got to the second page.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
I am about to go into research mode, so I've been cramming the brain candy.

Wrong Place, Wrong Time: A mother witnesses her teenage son stab a stranger to death in front of the family home. She has no idea what's going on (in more ways than one), but somehow travels back in time, stopping off at significant points that will help her understand and possibly prevent the murder. I found some of this book interesting, but other parts annoying. I mean, if you could travel back in time, fully aware of everything, would you not be hitting Google and other sources of public information hard? But not our mother, even though she is a lawyer and so one would expect that she has resources. Then there's the ending, which is just way too neatly tied up with a ribbon. Meh.

Just Like Magic: If you love Elf and you can't get enough of those Hallmark and Lifetime Christmas movies, this is the book for you. Cynical, social climbing, international pariah Bettie accidentally brings the actual spirit of Christmas, Hall (as in Hall E. Day) into the world to fill her with Christmas spirit. It's all quite silly and predictable, but also sometimes funny and rather sweet. There is even some ice skating in it, with a completely eye-rolling bit about Bettie's mother popping off triple axels like they are nothing and no one seems to finds this worthy of notice :lol:. I mean, yes, Hall is magical, but really.

Love on the Brain: If you liked The Love Hypothesis, you will probably like this one, too, as it's by the same author and has some similar themes. Neuroscientist Bee gets the job of her dreams, but it means working side-by-side with a man who hates her. Cue hate to love, with science and cats and Marie Curie.

Rock Paper Scissors: The publisher says: Rock Paper Scissors is the next exciting domestic thriller from the queen of the killer twist, New York Times bestselling author Alice Feeney. Well, if you say so, but I will not be reading another book by this queen, as I did not find the twist killer. Workaholic screenwriter Adam and his wife Amelia go off to a remote location in Scotland to celebrate their anniversary, but both have secret plans for each other. And once there, they come across a third party who has plans of her own for the couple. Adam has face blindness and cannot recognize anyone's face, not even his wife's, and therein lies the big twist. I thought the ending was ridiculous, but there are apparently people who like this one.

Nothing Can Hurt You: Now this book did not turn out as I expected. A college girl is murdered by her boyfriend and years later, the murder still affects various people in ways small and large. I kept expecting to read that the boyfriend didn't do it after all, or that there was more to it than what was initially reported, but no. I thought one plot line was really contrived and the ending was not at all satisfying, but otherwise, I thought this was an interesting book about how easily people accept the murders of college girls at the hands of their boyfriends.

Sometimes People Die: If you don't trust doctors, this is not the book for you. A recovering addict doctor takes the only job he can get at an understaffed hospital in a poor London neighborhood and soon is suspected of murdering a patient. The investigation into that murder uncovers too many deaths at the hospital; could it be that there is a serial killer among the medical staff? Well, you certainly might think so, as you can read about a number of real-life cases in which doctors (or other medical people) murdered patients. As I said, this is not a book for people who don't trust doctors. There is some sardonic humor and ruminations about medicine that keep things interesting, but the plot just meanders along, taking many detours along the way, some more believable than others. I thought the identity of the killer was obvious all along, so that didn't help.

flyingsit

Thanks for the reminder about this; I put a hold on an e-book copy in my library.

I’m reading right now Open by Andre Agassi. I think someone here on FSU mentioned it. Fabulous. I was hooked by the time I got to the second page.
That was me, I think. I really loved the vulnerability he wasn’t afraid to show.

oleada

My books so far this year:

Great Circle, by Maggie Shipstead: The story of a female aviator and the actress who later plays her, going back and forth in time. This was really good. The characters were really well drawn and everything tied together so well; it felt so sprawling and epic. Sometimes the present day storyline dragged a little; I much preferred the aviator's story. I recommend.

Marrying the Ketchups by Jennifer Close: This was totally written as a reaction to the 2016 election. It's the story of 3 generations of a family, their dysfunction and mid life crises after the death of the family patriarch. It was enjoyable and a pretty quick read, 3.5/5 for me.

Life's Too Short by Abby Jimenez: Vlogger who adopts her sister's baby falls for the hottie next door, but she's harboring a deep secret. I feel like I've read a lot of romcoms and this one didn't stand out in any way.

Nora Goes Off Script by Annabel Monaghan: Now this was a delight. Recently divorced screenwriter writes a movie script; they film at her house, she gets close to the main actor. It took me a minute to get into it, but I ended up loving it. It just made me happy and a little deeper than the typical romcom.

I'm Glad My Mom Died by Jennette McCurdy: This was batshit. I had never heard of the author since I was too old for iCarly but her childhood was horrific and I wish her all the happiness in the world. I can't say it's a masterpiece but it's a good effort from a first time author and she describes the abuse, her coping, and her emotions through it all really well. As an audiobook reader, she talks really fast and I wish she'd slow down a tiny bit. Trigger warnings for ED, child abuse, etc.

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
I’m reading “Surrender” by Bono right now. So far he’s very open about being a bit of a wanker, but I’m only about 20% into the book so far. He likes Reallllly long chapters (similar to Keith Richards).

PrincessLeppard

Holding Alex Johnson's Pineapple
I recently read Promise Boys, which is described as a mash-up of The Hate you Give and One of us is Lying. I really liked it; the ending is a little too neat, but I liked the three main characters and any of them could have plausibly been the killer.

I just finished The Getaway which was kind of cool--not your typical dystopian novel. It goes a bit off the rails near the end, but I suspect it will be a movie or Netflix series and then the ending will be all dramatic and stuff.

I also re-read The Field Guide to the American Teenager, and I continue to be surprised that it hasn't been made into a movie. So many quirky characters!

I didn't deliberately pick books with Black main characters, but if you are looking specifically for that, I recommend all three of these books. Or even if you just want good books. :)

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
I just missed my target of reading 35 books last year (I got to 33), but have been pretty good so far for that same target for 2023.

Snow, by John Banville - this was okay. A straightforward murder mystery that takes place in 1957 in Ireland. The setting was interesting, but the resolution was obvious. And there was some really unnecessary weirdness. Overall felt like this would have been more impactful if it had been written 20 or 30 years ago, by which I mean it feels dated, even with the historical setting. Does not make me want to read anything else by this author.

Shrines of Gaiety, Kate Atkinson - a rollicking, totally ridiculous but enjoyable story centering on a family that runs a bunch of barely legal clubs in 1920s London, and a cast of others who enter their circle.

The Door of No Return, Kwame Alexander - a beautiful book. The text is formatted like poetry and it works. I should have known where this was going and I totally didn't. I don't want to say more, but I highly recommend it.

City Under One Roof, Iris Yamashita - a winter storm traps a claustrophobic cop from Anchorage in a tiny Alaska town where all of the year-round residents live in one giant apartment building. Secrets: everywhere! Not a single reliable narrator in the bunch! A little Twin Peaks-y. I enjoyed it.

Foster, Claire Keegan - very short book (originally published as a series of short stories, I think), enjoyable and also a little hard as there isn't any grand ta-da at the end. A young (9?) girl is shipped off to an aunt/uncle's house for a summer because her family is too poor to keep her. She has many siblings and another on the way, my only question or complaint is: why was this the only child sent away? Was she the only one sent away? Who can know. A gentle story.

Lute, Jennifer Marie Thorne - author has previously written YA and it shows, although there is plenty of cursing and some sex and violence to earn this an adult fiction designation. The fictional (country? territory?) of Lute is a set of small islands off of England whose inhabitants have extraordinary good fortune - great weather, generally good health, relative prosperity - which may or may not have to do with 7 people dying on a specific day every 7 years. Our protagonist is the newish Lady of the island, who married the son of the ruling family right after the last Day, and doesn't believe in the tradition. The Lady is unbelievably plucky, she has two of the most annoying children ever that I was hoping would fall victim, and the resolution is kind of ridiculous, but I greatly enjoyed the world that was created, and that there was still plenty of mystery about our Lady's past at the end. And considering how much is known up front, the way the Day unfolds is surprising and fascinating.

Dead Silence, S.A. Barnes - a customer recommended this and holy crap this was a riveting read. A small repair crew on their last mission in the outer reaches of earth-explored space answers a distress call. Creepiness and mayhem ensue. I couldn't put this book down AND I had to put it down after every chapter or two because it was so tense. Probably the most cinematic book I've ever read - it would make a great film in the right hands. Creepy, creepy, creepy! That's a compliment.

PrincessLeppard

@genevieve I will definitely look for Dead Silence!

I just finished Eden West, a YA novel about a teenage boy in a cult. The cult has been doing well, but then some outsiders come in, and he meets a girl who is not in the cult. I liked it, though the ending was unsatisfying.

jeffisjeff

I just ordered this for my Nook (although it isn't released for another day or two). I haven't been reading much non-fiction, but this story sounds both infuriating and inspiring.

sk9tingfan

Over the last few months, I've discovered the Lucinda Riley series about the six adopted sisters named after the seven starred constellation, The Seven Sisters of the . While some of you may have read these awhile back, I didn't until a good friend gave me the first in the series, eponymously named.

Because each sister was adopted by their father, "Pa Salt", from all around the globe, they each come with their own fascinating back stories which each was mandated to search out. Also each back story started in the late 19th century and based on historical facts and personages. I love a big, fat book into which I can escape and so far, each sister's story has not disappointed. The last in the series was literally finished on Riley's deathbed and "Atlas". Pa Salt's own story was taken over by Harry Whittaker.

Tesla

Whippet Good
Over the last few months, I've discovered the Lucinda Riley series about the six adopted sisters named after the seven starred constellation, The Seven Sisters of the . While some of you may have read these awhile back, I didn't until a good friend gave me the first in the series, eponymously named.

Because each sister was adopted by their father, "Pa Salt", from all around the globe, they each come with their own fascinating back stories which each was mandated to search out. Also each back story started in the late 19th century and based on historical facts and personages. I love a big, fat book into which I can escape and so far, each sister's story has not disappointed. The last in the series was literally finished on Riley's deathbed and "Atlas". Pa Salt's own story was taken over by Harry Whittaker.

I love this series! I've read the first six books. I haven't read about the seventh sister, and I preordered Atlas. Lucinda Riley was a good author.

sk9tingfan

I love this series! I've read the first six books. I haven't read about the seventh sister, and I preordered Atlas. Lucinda Riley was a good author.
Me too! Reading CeCe's book right now. So far I think that my favorite is Star's story.

millyskate

I don't have much time to read these days but was given "Raising the Kanneh-Masons" for Christmas and I found the time to start it this weekend. I can strongly recommend it if you're a biography kind of person, which I am.

Last edited:

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
I read Hello Beautiful by Ann Napolitano of Dear Edward fame. I'd heard it was a retelling of Little Women, but it's really not. There are four sisters and the youngest likes art, but otherwise, it is its own story. Which is good, because Marmee would never act like that! :drama: It's an interesting look at sibling relationships and the forces and choices that draw us together and apart. I did think some of the characters' actions and motivations weren't very believable, but I found that I wanted to find out what happened, nevertheless. Good overall.

I also recently listed to the audio book version of Daisy Jones and the Six, and I'm way late to that party. I enjoyed it a lot, very fun with a full cast. Which Taylor Jenkins Reid book should I read next?

Jot the Dot Dot

Headstrong Buzzard
The Demon Haunted World by Carl Sagan. His ideas are often overshadowed by his 'Doppelganger'. He never actually said Billions And Billions , that was an embellishment by Johnny Carson, but it is the one people mistakenly remember. The book is a celebration of the importance of science, and the dangers of pseudoscience.

text_skate

I recently read "Tomb of Sand" by Geetanjali Shree translated by Daisy Rockwell. It's so captivating, one of the best books I've read the last couple of years. Highly recommend.
Just a few days ago a discovered the audio book in my library. I'm totally thrilled.

Tesla

Whippet Good
I just finished the audiobook for The Very Secret Society of Irregular Witches by Sangu Mandanna and it was utterly perfect. The romance was between a grumpy librarian and a witch who hides herself behind a sunny exterior. The secondary cast of characters were delightful and the kids weren't plot moppets. I am suffering from book hangover now. 😫
I finished this book a few days ago, and it was amazing. Just a great bunch of characters and a wonderful message.

genevieve

Staff member
Which Taylor Jenkins Reid book should I read next?

They're all fabulous! But the best one is The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo.
I would have said that before, but Carrie Soto is Back is surprisingly good. Not as sensational, and Carrie Soto as a character doesn't hold a candle to Evelyn Hugo, but I now think CSIB is her best book.

Just pretend Malibu Rising does not exist :shuffle:

puglover

Two books I recently read - 1. A Fever In The Heartland by Timothy Egan - a terrifying account of the impact of the KKK in America in the 1920's. This book is absolutely horrific and unbelievable but sadly factual. Almost should be a "must read". 2. The Longest Race by Kara Goucher - a memoir but much of the focus is on the Nike Elite Running Team and allegations of abuse, doping and deception.

Habs

A bitch from Canada
:lol:
I didn't hate Malibu rising. It wasn't her best by far, but I also think it suffered coming after Evelyn Hugo and Daisy Jones, which were both so good.

I agree that Carrie Soto is an excellent book.

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
I would have said that before, but Carrie Soto is Back is surprisingly good. Not as sensational, and Carrie Soto as a character doesn't hold a candle to Evelyn Hugo, but I now think CSIB is her best book.

I think I've read that Carrie Soto is a character in Malibu Rising. Does reading that one help you understand the Carrie Soto is Back story, or is Carrie a standalone?

Trillian

I think I've read that Carrie Soto is a character in Malibu Rising. Does reading that one help you understand the Carrie Soto is Back story, or is Carrie a standalone?

I haven’t read Malibu Rising and I don’t think it mattered at all. My impression is that it’s one of those deals where you might enjoy the connection(s) if you’re a fan of both books, but Carrie Soto Is Back was 100% standalone. I’m not that drawn to most of TJR’s books, but Carrie Soto was a good (and super quick) read.

genevieve

Staff member
No. TJR frequently has characters from one book show up in a very minor way in other books, but all of them are standalone.

I don't recall Carrie Soto in Malibu Rising - usually it's a character from a previous book that shows up in the current one.

As opposed to making a supporting character in the previous book the focus of the next one (Tana French's MO in her Dublin murder series - and each of those books could be considered standalone, but all together they create a group of characters that is interesting. AFAIK only once has French used the same protagonist in 2 books, prior to moving away from the Dublin murder series.

PrincessLeppard

I've been steadily making my way through the list of books that some members of my school want removed from our school library.

I just finished Red Blood by Elana K Arnold and while the storyline was interesting, the book is written in second freaking person. Because, and I AM NOT MAKING THIS UP, she wanted readers to experience what menstruation was like.

Also, I feel like she must've been trying to make a deadline because the last third of the book rushes to the end and then it just...ends. I don't know if it's going to be a series or not. But anyway, it should not be removed from the shelves.

But a second-person narrator? :scream:

MsZem

I see the sea
I just finished Red Blood by Elana K Arnold and while the storyline was interesting, the book is written in second freaking person. Because, and I AM NOT MAKING THIS UP, she wanted readers to experience what menstruation was like.
So first person couldn't accomplish that?

Habs

A bitch from Canada
No. TJR frequently has characters from one book show up in a very minor way in other books, but all of them are standalone.

I don't recall Carrie Soto in Malibu Rising - usually it's a character from a previous book that shows up in the current one.

As opposed to making a supporting character in the previous book the focus of the next one (Tana French's MO in her Dublin murder series - and each of those books could be considered standalone, but all together they create a group of characters that is interesting. AFAIK only once has French used the same protagonist in 2 books, prior to moving away from the Dublin murder series.

Carrie Soto was definitely in MR

she had an affair with Nina's husband

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information