2024 Worlds recap on NBC, April 14

Sylvia

TBD
Starting a thread for today’s 3-hour recap show on NBC (3-6 pm Eastern time - check your local listings) for anyone who might be interested in who is shown or not shown and/or watching/recording the broadcast.

Sylvia

TBD
NBC leads off with Ilia's SP; Isabeau's FS is coming up - standings of final group of 6 after SP were shown and Chaeyeon Kim is first up.

ETA that 5 of the 6 free skates in final group were shown: C. Kim (Young was mercy chacked), Sakamoto, Levito, Hendrickx, H. Lee (eta) + Andrew Joyce's interview with Isabeau afterwards.

Last edited:

fsfan2480

Sooo. Is this just a recap of the competition and no gala? If so, that's fine with me ... as long as they show Adam Siam Him Fa's NBC long program. There is no time to show all these competition performances AND the gala. Confused and concerned, lol.

Debbie S

Sooo. Is this just a recap of the competition and no gala? If so, that's fine with me ... as long as they show Adam Siam Him Fa's NBC long program. There is no time to show all these competition performances AND the gala. Confused and concerned, lol.
Yes, it's a recap of the comp. No gala. It was always intended to be a recap, per the USFS schedule.

They showed the top 4 pairs after the women.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Watching M/K and knowing that he was being given oxygen soon afterwards ... how on earth did he get through it?

Sylvia

TBD
Pairs FS shown: Hase/Volodin, Conti/Macii, Stellato-Dudek/Deschamps, Miura/Kihara + Andrea Joyce's interview with Deanna & Max.

April 6 in another TV Alerts thread:
I think there's a very good chance we finally will get to see Adam's amazing comeback/2nd place FS broadcast on U.S. TV. ;) :sekret:
We'll know after the free dances are aired (eta) - starting with Fear/Gibson (wish Lajoie/Lagha had been squeezed in).
Ben Agosto! :respec:

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
#20 Jason is the first skater shown in the final group (#19 Memola was chacked - eta- as was Lukas Britschgi :( after Jason).

Last edited:

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I hadn't heard the TT&J commentary on Yuma. They're in ecstasies over him. I know Tara and Johnny drive us all up the wall sometimes, but they really do appreciate good skating.

moebius

Final count was 19 full programs shown (Ilia's SP, free skates of 5 women & 4 pairs, the top 4 free dances & 5 men's free skates).
Half of them were shown on the previous NBC broadcast:( I would like to see different programs or gala.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Final count was 19 full programs shown (Ilia's SP, free skates of 5 women & 4 pairs, the top 4 free dances & 5 men's free skates).

This is more than we would see on ABC Wide World of Sports telecasts of major non-Olympic FS events in the 70s. And I lived for those…or asked my dad to tape them, if I were traveling!

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
I thought we would get Adam commentary-free since the gang wasn’t even in the booth when he skated, but I guess they went back afterward and edited it in. Oh well at least we got to see it again!!

Every time I watch Ilia’s FS (this is probably my 10th time lol) I think of Verne Lundquist’s iconic call from the 2005 Masters - “In your LIFE have you ever seen anything like that!”

Sylvia

TBD
I thought we would get Adam commentary-free since the gang wasn’t even in the booth when he skated, but I guess they went back afterward and edited it in.
Yes, I was wondering if their commentary would be added in afterwards. ETA - Thanks for confirming the NBC booth was empty at the time of Adam's FS!

However, I will always prefer the Mark Hanretty/Tonia Kwiatkowski duo's version of Ilia's Worlds FS due to my favorite non-skating fan's comment - "I didn’t know what a quad axel was till the lady started screaming and now it’s the most electric thing I’ve ever seen in sports" (ETA that this link was posted originally in Ilia's fan thread and the reply I quoted is under the video): https://twitter.com/WUTangKids/status/1773071044548456782
:D

Last edited:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I thought we would get Adam commentary-free since the gang wasn’t even in the booth when he skated, but I guess they went back afterward and edited it in. Oh well at least we got to see it again!!

Every time I watch Ilia’s FS (this is probably my 10th time lol) I think of Verne Lundquist’s iconic call from the 2005 Masters - “In your LIFE have you ever seen anything like that!”

Mark and Tonia commented Adam’s FS and I thought that we would get that. Perhaps they were in another booth (ISU or a separate Peacock one)?

Sylvia

TBD
Mark and Tonia commented Adam’s FS and I thought that we would get that. Perhaps they were in another booth (ISU or a separate Peacock one)?
Mark & Tonia were in a separate booth for the ISU’s World feed that Peacock used - Olivia Smart shared a clip showing Mark in it on his birthday (#7): https://www.instagram.com/p/C5GdoLVOWCF/

In contrast, NBC Sports’ TV “booth” was in a prime location and much more spacious: https://www.instagram.com/p/C45jJXOOfv1/

ETA clip showing the NBC team reacting to Amber landing the 3A in her FS: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C5JSg-KA9rm/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information