2023 World Team Trophy - April 13-16 - Tokyo, Japan

Allskate

I also feel WTT is the perfect place for Amber to finally land the 3axel. It's international competition yet it isn't that serious.
I wonder if she'll even go for the triple axel in the short program.

My impression of Levito is that the pressure first and foremost comes from herself. She seems to be a perfectionist.
I think that's probably true to a large extent, and she doesn't have much experience to rely upon when it comes to missing a podium, so she may be having difficulty dealing with it. Her teammates probably would be fine if she made mistakes at WTT, but she might not be.

But, I used to think that outside pressures didn't phase Nathan. According to his book, though, the expectations from the media and others did take a toll on him. This is Isabeau's first season with high expectations from the media, etc., and that may be taking a toll.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
12 vs 15, a difference without much meaning.
Two guaranteed GP spots, and one doesn't have to be a host spot vs. relying on WS and/or SB lists.

Another skater only needs to make the FS vs. another skater needing to be at least 13th to earn two spots for the next year.

102 World Standings points, which could be the difference between starting in the first or second group at a GP.

Sylvia

TBD
If she [Bradie] turned it down she probably wouldn’t be a listed substitute though.
I noticed there are 3 U.S. men listed as subs (in alphabetical order: Ma, Pulkinen, Torgashev) but only 2 U.S. women (Shin #16 in WS & Tennell #34 in WS). I had assumed that Lindsay Thorngren (#17 in WS; 6th at Nationals) and Starr Andrews (4th at Nationals, #35 in WS) would also be considered so perhaps one or both declined?

Last edited:

SkateFanBerlin

Two guaranteed GP spots, and one doesn't have to be a host spot vs. relying on WS and/or SB lists.

Another skater only needs to make the FS vs. another skater needing to be at least 13th to earn two spots for the next year.

102 World Standings points, which could be the difference between starting in the first or second group at a GP.
I didn`t know any of that. Thanks for straightening me out.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I noticed there are 3 U.S. men listed as subs (in alphabetical order: Ma, Pulkinen, Torgashev) but only 2 U.S. women (Shin #16 in WS & Tennell #34 in WS). I had assumed that Lindsay Thorngren (#17 in WS; 6th at Nationals) and Starr Andrews (4th at Nationals, #35 in WS) would also be considered so perhaps one or both declined?
I was wondering about that myself.

Ena Grins

I was hoping Lim/Quan would just do their junior RD. The points would be all over the place since it doesn't have all the required elements but ahh, to see a real pattern out there.

Karen-W

I was hoping Lim/Quan would just do their junior RD. The points would be all over the place since it doesn't have all the required elements but ahh, to see a real pattern out there.
They can't because WTT is a senior competition. They need a senior RD for the event.

Karen-W

I understand that. Hence "the points would be all over the place." (Or non-existent.)
Very low, especially seeing as their RD this season was definitely the weaker of their two programs and held their scores down from making them truly competitive with the Mrazeks and BashBeau all season until Jr Worlds.

Sylvia

TBD
JSF announced that Shoma Uno has withdrawn from WTT due to injury and will be replaced by Shun Sato: https://www.skatingjapan.or.jp/common/img/info/WTT2023_ShomaUNO.pdf

Machine translated excerpt:

Missing player: Shoma Uno (Toyota)
Diagnosis: Right ankle ligament and cartilage damage Complete recovery Requires 2 weeks of treatment and recuperation (as of April 10)
Substitute player: Shun Sato (Meiji University)

During the World Championships, he injured his right ankle, which had been hurting for a long time, and has been practicing for the national competition [WTT].
I tried my best to treat it, but I couldn't get it back to the competition level, so I decided to withdraw.
I have come to a very regrettable conclusion.
To all the fans who were looking forward to the competition, and to the many people involved in the competition,
We apologize for the inconvenience.
Once again, thank you to all of you who always support me and watch over me warmly.

ETA that the WTT Team Men entries list has been updated: https://results.isu.org/events/wtt2023_TeamMen.htm

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
From the 2023 WTT Announcement:
The participating Skaters/Couples will be listed according to their ISU World Standing placement at time of the ISU
World Team Trophy. The starting order in the Short Program or Rhythm Dance segment will be the reverse order
of the ISU World Standing placements. In the case of any tie, there will be a draw to determine who skates first.

Rhythm Dance starting order:
1 Hannah LIM / Ye QUAN KOR [WS #25]
2 Kana MURAMOTO / Daisuke TAKAHASHI JPN [WS #14]
3 Evgeniia LOPAREVA / Geoffrey BRISSAUD FRA [WS #11]

4 Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER CAN [WS #4]
5 Madison CHOCK / Evan BATES USA [WS #2]
6 Charlene GUIGNARD / Marco FABBRI ITA [WS #1]

Women's SP starting order:
1 Anna PEZZETTA ITA [WS #125]
2 Sara-Maude DUPUIS CAN [WS #116-tie]
3 Lorine SCHILD FRA [WS #56]
4 Lea SERNA FRA [WS #41]
5 Lara Naki GUTMANN ITA [WS #30]
6 Amber GLENN USA [WS #19]

7 Madeline SCHIZAS CAN [WS #15]
8 Yelim KIM KOR [WS #6]
9 Isabeau LEVITO USA [WS #5]
10 Haein LEE KOR [WS #4]
11 Mai MIHARA JPN [WS #3]
12 Kaori SAKAMOTO JPN [WS #1]

Men's SP starting order:
1 Stephen GOGOLEV CAN [WS #52]
2 Sihyeong LEE KOR [WS #28]
3 Kevin AYMOZ FRA [WS #17]
4 Jason BROWN USA [WS #16]
5 Shun SATO JPN [WS #12]
6 Keegan MESSING CAN [WS #8]

7 Kazuki TOMONO JPN [WS #7]
8 Matteo RIZZO ITA [WS #6]
9 Adam SIAO HIM FA FRA [WS #5]
10 Daniel GRASSL ITA [WS #4]
11 Junhwan CHA KOR [WS #3]
12 Ilia MALININ USA [WS #2]

Pairs SP starting order:
1 Hyejin CHO / Steven ADCOCK KOR [international debut/no WS ranking]
2 Camille KOVALEV / Pavel KOVALEV FRA [WS #15]
3 Deanna STELLATO-DUDEK / Maxime DESCHAMPS CAN [WS #7]

4 Sara CONTI / Niccolo MACII ITA [WS #4]
5 Riku MIURA / Ryuichi KIHARA JPN [WS #2]
6 Alexa KNIERIM / Brandon FRAZIER USA [WS #1]

Karen-W

Color me a bit cynical that Shoma's WD from WTT but he was healthy enough to do 10 SOI Japan shows in the past 2 weeks. ;) I mean, I get that show programs aren't as intense as competitive programs, but still, I suppose this proves even Japanese skaters think WTT isn't too important in the overall scheme of things.

Handicapping the event with Shoma's WD, I'd say that the USA might be slight favorites to win now, but Japan, Italy and Korea will be right there in the mix for the podium.

kittyjake5

Shoma has been dealing with this ankle injury since before Worlds. This is the first time in his senior career that he has withdrawn from a competition due to injury. Shoma has always been a team player if he withdrew it is because he is injured. I don’t think it has anything to do with the importance of WTT. Wishing Shoma a speedy recovery.

Allskate

Shoma has been dealing with this ankle injury since before Worlds. This is the first time in his senior career that he has withdrawn from a competition due to injury. Shoma has always been a team player if he withdrew it is because he is injured. I don’t think it has anything to do with the importance of WTT. Wishing Shoma a speedy recovery.
I was surprised that NBC did not discuss his injury as it would have created more "drama." It certainly wasn't a secret. People who attended the practices and press conferences knew that Shoma was dealing with an injury in the two weeks before Worlds and at Worlds. It was discussed in the Shoma fan thread here. On the world feed, you could hear Stephane referring to it the day Shoma won. I am bummed that I won't see him compete at WTT, but I totally understand putting his health first. This is even more true if he can't or shouldn't be doing all the jumps that would help the team.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Entries were updated earlier today - https://results.isu.org/events/fsevent00113618.htm

Team Korea:
Men - Junhwan Cha, Sihyeong Lee
Women - Yelim Kim, Haein Lee
Pairs - Hyejin Cho/Steven Adcock
Dance - Hannah Lim/Ye Quan
Jordan Cowan filmed a sneak peek of Lim/Quan's new RD to "Don't Go Yet" by Camilla Cabello: https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cq3aTpOrhtW/
Also posted as a short video on OIP's YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/-SnM4mDUaC4
"Hannah said that their new RD is in collab with Marie-France, Romain, Benjamin, Marie-Jade !": https://twitter.com/icedancekor/status/1642878519360495617

Cho/Adcock will be coached in Tokyo by Alexander Sheldrick-Male.
ETA that Rachel Dobson (13)/Sheldrick (22) won the 2013 Canadian Novice Pairs title; Trennt Michaud, 16, won the silver with his then 15-year-old first pairs partner: https://www.goldenskate.com/2013/01/dobson-and-sheldrick-win-canadian-novice-pairs-title/
Dobson/Sheldrick also won the Junior Pairs bronze at 2015 Nationals.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information