2023 Skate America Women FS - Not Landing

VGThuy

I’m confused as to how a program that is all about whacking and vogueing can have too much of it? I get that it needs more blade content to link the elements and stationary parts together, but this is not a program theme where you pull back on that.

Holy Headband

chair of the Lee Sihyeong international fanclub
I guess some people in this thread aren’t into the Harlem Ballroom culture.
I like voguing and respect it as a dance form, but I don't think it translates well to the ice because it's so much about posing, giving face (which Loena wasn't doing at all lol), walking, etc. In order to vogue on the ice and do it well, you kinda have to stop gliding. I don't like it when skaters put a posing break in their program.

Bollywood dancing is also about creating and holding shapes with your body to some extent, but it's more dynamic because it can usually be done while the feet are moving, with statement poses accenting the music and flowing into motion quickly.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Slept through most of the women save the last 4...

Niina - nice, solid skate, glad she wound up on the podium.

Isabeau - very determined and focused. Some nice moves. Still have the skirt on this dress - she needs to lose a few layers of chiffon.

Amber - first half fab and then... well, I was rooting for her to not fall apart, sadly, it was her usual.

Loena - the ISU social media team needs to invest all its money in making her go viral - get her programs, or key sections, boosted - she is a star that will get this sport noticed in Europe and even North America.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Oh…it’s not over! We still have the Exhibition on Peacock at 8:30pm eastern.

VGThuy

I like voguing and respect it as a dance form, but I don't think it translates well to the ice because it's so much about posing, giving face, walking, etc. In order to vogue on the ice and do it well, you kinda have to stop gliding. I don't like it when skaters put a posing break in their program.

Bollywood dancing is also about creating and holding shapes with your body to some extent, but it's more dynamic because it can usually be done while the feet are moving, with statement poses accenting the music and flowing into motion quickly.
I get that it needs to have more skating and they need to tweak the posing to have more movement and skating.

It just seemed like people were complaining about the actual dance style and Loena executed it in a way where I felt she was attempting to really respect the art form unlike a lot of Bollywood routines that aren’t very good but make winks and nods to what they think are features of Bollywood dancing.

I guess we are in a new world where transitions are no longer their own PCS category and skating skills are the last listed one.

Colonel Green

This must be the first GP in a while without a Japanese or Korean lady on the podium.
It happened at three events on the 2021/22 Grand Prix, two of them Russian sweeps and the other two Russians + Loena.

So it has been a few years, but in the days of Russian supremacy it wasn't unknown.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information