2023/24 Canadian Pairs: News & Updates

Lia Pereira and Trennt Michaud: “We aim for the podium at Nationals”​

shutterbug

Today's article from Rob Brodie on Fiona Bombardier's participation in both pairs and singles this season: 'She has what it takes to make it'
“My dad did pairs and he really liked it, so I wanted to try it as well. I struggled a lot with the triple toe combo, and I know that’s a big element for international in senior ladies. So I decided, why not try pairs?” said the 19-year-old skater, who shares the same bright personality with her mom.
“She is going to have to make a choice, for sure. At the end of the day, to be a World contender doing both … no, it’s not sustainable,” admitted Marcotte. “But at the same time, I think she’s at the phase in her career that it is a good time to try.

ETA: Pairs skaters Pereira, Michaud continue to get 'stronger'
Purkiss, Pereira and Michaud will now be in Shanghai next week competing at the Four Continents Figure Skating Championships. Following that event, Canada will name its three pairs entries for the 2024 World Figure Skating Championships in Montreal from March 18-24 and Purkiss is expecting her team to be named.

“I think they’re shooting for a podium spot at worlds,” said the coach, noting that the 2026 Winter Olympic Games in Milano, Italy, is the ultimate goal.

Last edited:

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Canada gets the pairs gold at Youth Olympics! I know this was a strange competition in pairs with the limited age requirement different from regular ISU junior events (only four countries even had teams eligible). But a win is a win! Annika Behnke and Kole Sauve will always be Youth Olympic champions!

Aaron MB Fan

Congrats to Canada’s Annika Behnke and Kole Sauve for being named Canada’s flag bearers at the YOG closing ceremonies! Great recognition for them in achievement of their Pairs Gold Medal and Canada’s first medal in an individual discipline at a YOG.

honey

The scuttlebutt on Twitter is that McIntosh and Mimar have split. Seems mostly based on some social media behaviour (unfollowing, untagging of each other etc).

Thoughts?

I think it’s too bad if true. I generally think they had a bit more potential than L/E, though there were limitations to the partnership for sure. Also just bummer that Canada is down another reasonably strong pair.

puglover

The scuttlebutt on Twitter is that McIntosh and Mimar have split. Seems mostly based on some social media behaviour (unfollowing, untagging of each other etc).

Thoughts?

I think it’s too bad if true. I generally think they had a bit more potential than L/E, though there were limitations to the partnership for sure. Also just bummer that Canada is down another reasonably strong pair.
This is unfortunate if true. Ted Barton seemed to feel that Mimar had really wanted to skate with McIntosh and went after that partnership. They are both quite tall and I loved their long lines. I also think Brooke has that never give in - take no prisoners- attack that seems to be a family trait, not easily taught, and is so valuable for athletes.

skatingguy

decently

Thoughts?

This is unfortunate if true. Ted Barton seemed to feel that Mimar had really wanted to skate with McIntosh and went after that partnership. They are both quite tall and I loved their long lines. I also think Brooke has that never give in - take no prisoners- attack that seems to be a family trait, not easily taught, and is so valuable for athletes.
Mimar was also spotted working out with Fiona Bombardier.

Yyzskater

That really is too bad.
Awww. This makes me sad. I hope it wasn't because they had a bit of a tough year. I hope Brooke finds a new partner, if that is what she wishes. I know it's a little tougher because she is taller than most pairs girls.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝

Thoughts?

Wow, they had a really good season two years ago and I was a fan, this season she seemed a bit unrecognizable to me and did not do as good as the season before but I still am a fan

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
It's sad whenever a pair team breaks up, but I am really missing something when it comes to M&M. I didn't find them to be engaging, and their SP this year was awkward AF. :(

But if they can both find new partners, that would be lovely. I recall she lands jumps sometimes.

skatingguy

decently
It's sad whenever a pair team breaks up, but I am really missing something when it comes to M&M. I didn't find them to be engaging, and their SP this year was awkward AF. :(

But if they can both find new partners, that would be lovely. I recall she lands jumps sometimes.
She is the more reliable jumper.

Colonel Green

Fiona has a ton of charisma, which was an area where Brooke has always been lacking, but it's very much up in the air whether she can acquire the pairs technical ability that Brooke has.

Brooke, on the other hand, her #1 issue is going to be that she's very much on the tall side for pair girls. She needs a really tall partner.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
, which was an area where Brooke has always been lacking,

Very much

While, I really liked their aesthetic on the ice she did not have charisma. She always seem to be in the mood or the expression … the verge of complaining about something … kind of like Lea S

I am just built differently, even if I bombed or was nervous, I would be so excited to be there and away from my nagging family, and in a different country, and especially on TV ….I’d be hamming it up, even if I fell on all my jumps, I would be waving and pretending I just won an Oscar. I’d probably be hawking my merch while the camera was on me in the kiss and cry as well

fsfann

Sad to see this, but to be honest, they really seemed 'stalled' this year. Maybe a fresh start for both would be good..

Habs

A bitch from Canada
I am intrigued by the idea of a Bombardier & Mimar partnership.
Fiona has charisma in spades and seems to be learning pairs skills quickly. Ben is a good - if sometimes inconsistent - partner.

Hopefully Brooke can find a partner and continue. I liked M&M fine and they were technically competent, but they always left me a little bit cold.

danafan

Canadian ladies über

Habs

A bitch from Canada
Mimar announced his partnership with Bombardier.

I love this.

Jammers

Bombardier must not be serious about competing in singles because there comes a time when you have to choose if you really want to challenge the top Canadian ladies and you can't do that competing in another discipline.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information