2022 Skate Canada - Mississauga! (Excitement/Planning Thread)

JoannaLouise

Official Toaster Oven Monitor

Is anyone else as excited about this as I am?? Because I am SO EXCITED! :cheer2:

General discussion thread for who's going, where to stay, where to eat, griping about shuttles, etc. ;)

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
I posted this on my FB and my husband saw it and said, oh, you should go! So, I guess I will!
Practice Thursday? Competition Friday and Saturday? Gala on Sunday? Is that about right?
I remember meeting you there once. Perhaps we can do that again :)

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Question for those who know that area better than I do: is it possible to walk to the Centre from the hotels that are on the other side of the highway?

lexeoe

now that this has been announced, any idea when SC will announce 2023 Nationals host? In the past this is usually announced around January.

beebee

Question for those who know that area better than I do: is it possible to walk to the Centre from the hotels that are on the other side of the highway?
The Hilton Garden Inn on Traders Blvd. is definitely walkable. Takes 25-30 minutes and is about 2 km or 1.3 miles from the arena, with most of the walk on Traders Blvd. I've walked it a number of times. It's fine to go it alone in daylight, but a little creepy after dark so I'd try to have company at night.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
So is Missisauga to Toronto like Baltimore to Washington DC or Sacramento to San Francisco? Inquiring Americans want to know.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
So is Missisauga to Toronto like Baltimore to Washington DC or Sacramento to San Francisco? Inquiring Americans want to know.
Well the Toronto International Airport is literally in Mississauga so they are closer to each other than the two examples you gave. Not sure of an American equivalent.

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
This trip sounds much more doable for mom and me than SA would be with regards to traveling there and back as well as getting around the area since I'd be able to drive to Mississauga (aka, I'd have a car available there). Hmmm, definitely gonna have to think about this one! :cheer:

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
If I can get the time off work, I might think about it too. And thankfully now there is the UP express train from the airport to downtown Toronto, so it might be possible to escape Mississauga for some fun as well :)

RoseRed

Definitely closer than those. Traffic can be bad going into Toronto (as you'd expect with that size of city), but it's pretty close.

I'm not familiar with Washington State, but looking at a map I'd say Mississauga-Toronto is a little closer than Tacoma-Seattle, to go with @Karen-W 's example.

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
I’m still undecided but have booked a hotel that can be canceled. It is cheaper than the Norwood hotels and it sounds like Uber/Lyft will be more plentiful. I’m really hoping the competition will be on Friday/Saturday only, unlike the SkAm schedule. I would prefer to fly home on Sunday and be back to work on Monday.

JoannaLouise

Official Toaster Oven Monitor
I’m still undecided but have booked a hotel that can be canceled. It is cheaper than the Norwood hotels and it sounds like Uber/Lyft will be more plentiful. I’m really hoping the competition will be on Friday/Saturday only, unlike the SkAm schedule. I would prefer to fly home on Sunday and be back to work on Monday.
I've been to Skate Canada a bunch of times, and I think the schedule has always been competition on Friday/Saturday and gala on Sunday. No guarantees of course, but I would say your odds are pretty good. :)

nuage

I became a FS fan in 1994, I lived in Brazil, I was barely able to watch figure skating from there and ended up becoming an Olympic year fan after 1998. Fast forward to 2022, 5 years living in Canada, I decided to follow FS closely again, and I am 1 hour-drive away fron Skate Canada! 😱 So exciting!

mackiecat

If you want to get downtown to see Toronto sites, either Uber to airport or the hotel might have an airport shuttle. there is a train called UP that takes you right downtown. It is located in terminal 1 .Easy Peary

screech

I live near a GO station, but have never taken it to Mississauga. Are there any GO stations near (walking distance) to the arena? It would be a heck of a lot more convenient than driving (and regular TTC transit includes transfers, and I hate transferring)

nuage

I live near a GO station, but have never taken it to Mississauga. Are there any GO stations near (walking distance) to the arena? It would be a heck of a lot more convenient than driving (and regular TTC transit includes transfers, and I hate transferring)
I think the closest GO Bus terminal is the one at the Square One mall. From there it would be a 20 min bus ride to the venue.

jao86

the fix is in
It's more like JFK/EWR to Manhattan. It's not in the city proper, but it's close by and time to get there depends entirely on traffic/time of day.

Sally1214

Goodness, I can hardly believe it ... I might actually be able to attend a live skating event again!! Anyone have any idea when we might expect ticket info/sales?

quartz

scratching at the light
Husband wants to come with me. Not for the skating. For the fishing. And the hotel. Ahahahahaha…

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information