2022 Nationals in Nashville

MacMadame

Doing all the things
But I believe today is the deadline, so if you’re going to not go because you’ve decided this is not safe you need to make the decision today and request a refund today.
Well, I posted that yesterday. Also, the event starts tomorrow. :D

Thanks so much!!! I wasn’t seeing it on Peacock’s schedule. I sure will miss the Johnny and Tara show. LOL
Peacock makes it very difficult to find stuff. Sometimes skating shows up in the Upcoming/Live section on the home page. Sometimes it does not. Or only some events. If you scroll down to Figure Skating and then click on the box labeled "Hub", you should be able to find everything. (It has a picture of Nathan the last time I did this but that was last month.)

Someone posted upthread that, per the Bridgestone Arena's website, the temperature in the arena is set at 65° F. From my experience, it always seems warmer or colder depending on local temps as well, which today is cold and wet.
And today it's supposed to snow!! (At night and it won't last, I'm told.)

The forecast calls for a fair amount of rain but not every day. And much colder than I am used to.

I made it to Nashville! I'm at the Renaissance. The only evidence that skating is going on is a USFS sign by the elevators that says masks are required everywhere. (I assume for participants, not fans as they can't really control us.) The sign on the hotel entrance just said: "strongly recommended." The elevators do have a sign that says only 2 people or 1 family but it's on the inside so I didn't see it until I got in with another family. It's a good recommendation though. Now that I know it, I'll follow it.

I read online that a cab from the airport was $25. Since Lyft was $21 when I got here, I figured I'd have a better experience with a cabby. But once I committed, I found out the price had gone up yesterday to $35!! (Also my driver wasn't wearing a mask. Another thing I didn't realize until I got in the van.) So... I've seen Lyft prices between $12 and $21 but never close to $35. Keep that in mind when you are thinking about how to get here from the airport.

peibeck

Simply looking

Peacock makes it very difficult to find stuff. Sometimes skating shows up in the Upcoming/Live section on the home page. Sometimes it does not. Or only some events. If you scroll down to Figure Skating and then click on the box labeled "Hub", you should be able to find everything. (It has a picture of Nathan the last time I did this but that was last month.)

The forecast calls for a fair amount of rain but not every day. And much colder than I am used to.

I made it to Nashville! I'm at the Renaissance. The only evidence that skating is going on is a USFS sign by the elevators that says masks are required everywhere. (I assume for participants, not fans as they can't really control us.) The sign on the hotel entrance just said: "strongly recommended." The elevators do have a sign that says only 2 people or 1 family but it's on the inside so I didn't see it until I got in with another family. It's a good recommendation though. Now that I know it, I'll follow it.

I read online that a cab from the airport was $25. Since Lyft was $21 when I got here, I figured I'd have a better experience with a cabby. But once I committed, I found out the price had gone up yesterday to $35!! (Also my driver wasn't wearing a mask. Another thing I didn't realize until I got in the van.) So... I've seen Lyft prices between $12 and $21 but never close to $35. Keep that in mind when you are thinking about how to get here from the airport.

I drove through blinding snow and sleet on my way here. It just turned to rain about 10 miles north of Nashville. At which point my GPS dropped me off the highway into blocked roads from the football game. Oy gevalt! But I, at last, made it to my Airbnb.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series

As a couple of us noted in posts a few days ago, Lyft and Uber require masks while cabs do not. The extra cost for Lyft/Uber, if any, is worth it IMO.

DreamSkates

As has been said about a billion times, the vaccine is intended to reduce the possibility of infection and transmission. It doesn't guarantee complete protection from the v*r*s.
Less likely to get seriously ill and/or hospitalized with full vaccination. Better with a booster. Which I have gotten. A friend's son got covid and was very sick. He said, "This is real!". Yes, glad he finally got the message. Glad he is recuperating also.

Carolla5501

As a couple of us noted in posts a few days ago, Lyft and Uber require masks while cabs do not. The extra cost for Lyft/Uber, if any, is worth it IMO.
If your driver does not wear a mask, you may make a complaint I did that in Las Vegas and actually did get a credit from Uber for a driver who not only didn’t wear a mask but also told me that vaccines were infected with trackers.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Are the flight cancellations affecting anyone?
Our flight from Burbank to Nashville sat on the tarmac for a while and we were 45 minutes late as a result. Not sure if that was because of staffing or not. We couldn't get a runway to take off.

But it was one of the first flights of the day out of SFO (originally) and they were already making gate changes and having planes show up late.

(This is Southwest)

YukiNieve

After carefully evaluating risks and rewards, I decided not to go.
This is kind of disappointing since I have been to US Nationals for last 15 or so years.
But this Nationals will not be the same one that I love where I can interact with many people without worries.
To those of you who are going, safe trip and have a great time! 😊

mtnskater

My friends and I have decided to go. I must admit I’m a bit nervous about it because I’ve been quite cautious and conservative about what I will do during the pandemic. Somehow I’m not so afraid of Omicron and hope that it has overtaken Delta. I’m triple vaxxed and armed with KN95 masks. I have no underlying health conditions that put me at high risk. I know that will not guarantee against infection but it’s the best we can do. I have always been a person that loves to travel and be on the go. My mental health is important too and I think cheering on the skaters and seeing my friends will be a great boost to my mental health. Too bad I will not get to experience much of Nashville like I had hoped. But I’ll be skipping restaurants and places without vaccination and masking requirements. I just moved my hotel to the Renaissance which suddenly got a lot cheaper….a lot of folks must have canceled. Well wishes to all the skaters for a safe and fun event for them. Enjoy watching everyone, either in person or in your living room!

kiss-n-cry

Team Brown
I'm so disappointed that I'm no longer going to Nashville, but it was the correct and necessary call to cancel. I took my pcr test within the 3 day time frame before I was to get my accreditation to volunteer. The result was negative so I would have been ok to go down there today as planned. Had my son not started coughing yesterday, and been notified that half his basketball team had tested positive, I wouldn't have had reason to test him. He took the test and was positive. Regardless of my status with the ykw, I made the immediate decision to cancel. Thank goodness it was before the deadline to get a ticket refund. I am so scared that there will be folks going to this event that don't know they are infected. My son was fully vaxxed and I hope his symptoms stay mild. I'm hoping that the skaters stay safe and make it through this event unscathed. But I'm very nervous for everyone.

acraven

The Frist art museum is requiring masks; I haven't been inside, so I can't speak to enforcement. There are some masks to be seen inside Whole Foods. Otherwise, Nashville seems to be a no-mask zone.

Attendees should plan to place restaurant orders online or by phone for pick-up. You will be surrounded. By the maskless hordes if you go to a restaurant to place your orderi person.

I recommend requesting a hotel room on a low floor so you can walk up and down the stairs rather than piling into an elevator with a bunch of strangers who aren't concerned about their health or yours.

The Broadway bridge across the gulch (on the path to Whole Foods) is currently icy. Anyone heading there today should walk on the north side, where there's a narrow, clear path. I imagine the same conditions will prevail later in the week when we have another cold snap.

peibeck

Simply looking
I was just at the Whole Foods. I literally didn't see one person without a mask in the short time I was there :cheer: , though one worker did have his below his nose. 🙄 I got one bag of groceries and made a salad from the salad bar (I'm staying at at Airbnb with a full fridge/stove/microwave so have the luxury to not have to eat out or order in all the time.) Of course, it's Whole Foods, so with my one bag purchase, Jeff Bezos can now afford another trip to outer space. 😛

Gusmom

Banned Member
sigh. Back on the fence - apparently my sinuses are acting up. Not another ear infection but everythig is irritated :( Dr suggests plane may be tricky. If I feel better, it will be fine, but if I feel like today (stuffy, irritated, & tired), not so much [i've had 2 covid tests to see the dr so not covid].

I have until tomorrow to cancel hotel.
I'm beginning to think I'm just not supposed to see Jason Brown's iconic programs this year (I had tickets to Montreal - in part to see him & Schindler's List)...even if he competes again next year, I want to see THESE in person.

rudi

After having gone back and forth, my daughter and I will be attending for the weekend as planned. We're driving up from Orlando, FL on Thursday. We're vaccinated, boosted, and will be masked at all times except when we are in our car and hotel room.

Had originally planned to explore Nashville (restaurants, etc.) a litte but now we will just eat take out food in our room or grab something at the arena.

Thanks to those who mentioned Whole Foods. I'll need to see if that is near us. We will be at the Homewood Suites, which I understand is 0.3 miles from the venue. Thought about switching to the Renaissance, since I read that there is a tunnel connecting it to the arena. The thought of not having to go out and walk in the cold is appealing, but in the end stuck with a Hilton property for points and because it was a little less expensive.

Best wishes to all who are going (stay safe!), all who decided to sit this year out, and all who are currently not feeling well for a speedy recovery. Whether it be in person or from our living rooms, I wish for us to see some great skating and hope for all the skaters to have a great Nationals.

sk9tingfan

After having gone back and forth, my daughter and I will be attending for the weekend as planned. We're driving up from Orlando, FL on Thursday. We're vaccinated, boosted, and will be masked at all times except when we are in our car and hotel room.

Had originally planned to explore Nashville (restaurants, etc.) a litte but now we will just eat take out food in our room or grab something at the arena.

Thanks to those who mentioned Whole Foods. I'll need to see if that is near us. We will be at the Homewood Suites, which I understand is 0.3 miles from the venue. Thought about switching to the Renaissance, since I read that there is a tunnel connecting it to the arena. The thought of not having to go out and walk in the cold is appealing, but in the end stuck with a Hilton property for points and because it was a little less expensive.

Best wishes to all who are going (stay safe!), all who decided to sit this year out, and all who are currently not feeling well for a speedy recovery. Whether it be in person or from our living rooms, I wish for us to see some great skating and hope for all the skaters to have a great Nationals.
I think that earlier in this thread it was noted that the tunnel is not open to spectators; only competitors.

Last edited:

acraven

I don't know where the Hilton is, but Whole Foods is about seven blocks west of Bridgeston Arena, in the 1200 block of Broadway.

TanithandBenFan

My Lyft driver was great and arrived before I could even book it from baggage to the parking garage. It was $30 before tip at 2:30pm. Got upgraded at the Renaissance to a Pure room which has an air purifier so that’s a nice extra to have these days. Bummed Marriott doesn’t let Gold members have access to the lounge anymore so I can’t stock up on free water to smuggle into the arena.

deegee

can anyone tell me who the beautiful young couple are who skated after calalang in this pairs warm up group?

Tahuu

My Lyft driver was great and arrived before I could even book it from baggage to the parking garage. It was $30 before tip at 2:30pm. Got upgraded at the Renaissance to a Pure room which has an air purifier so that’s a nice extra to have these days. Bummed Marriott doesn’t let Gold members have access to the lounge anymore so I can’t stock up on free water to smuggle into the arena.
Do you have N95 masks with you. If so, make sure your air purifier is not a negative ion air purifier. The negative ions in the air could bind to the positive charged layer in your N95 and turn it into a regular mask.

TanithandBenFan

Do you have N95 masks with you. If so, make sure your air purifier is not a negative ion air purifier. The negative ions in the air could bind to the positive charged layer in your N95 and turn it into a regular mask.
No I just have FFp2 masks.

17Children

Hi, I have two all event tickets, but how do I prove my status to arena staff so I can attend practice sessions? I can't find information on attending practice ice except that I'm allowed to attend. Someone please help because I'm inept! ;-)

Is practice ice going to be on Peacock? I don't arrive until Thursday and would love to watch earlier.

Thank you very much!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information