2017 Japan Open, October 7 + Carnival on Ice gala

peibeck

Simply looking
Will nice to see Verner again. No offense to the utterly talented Zagitova, but wished for something other than two Russian ladies for Team Europe.

No Canadians again for North America? :blah: Hopefully Gracie is working on getting her form back. The clips from Stars on Ice indicated she has a long way to go. Sigh.

MACHIDA!!! :cheer2:

hanca

Values her privacy
Will nice to see Verner again. No offense to the utterly talented Zagitova, but wished for something other than two Russian ladies for Team Europe.

No Canadians again for North America? :blah: Hopefully Gracie is working on getting her form back. The clips from Stars on Ice indicated she has a long way to go. Sigh.

MACHIDA!!! :cheer2:
Nice to see Verner, but I would prefer to see someone slightly more competitive.

Jammers

Why is Gracie going to the Japan Open again? She's bombed it twice when she was in much better shape and a much better skater before her slump. Hopefully knowing that she's facing the top two Russian ladies will make Gracie get into shape otherwise she will get embarrassed.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
Well, they say the third time's the charm. So just maybe, luck might be on Gracie's side. I'm wishing her the best. Go for it Gracie. <3

centerpt1

Surprised that Karen and Nathan are going in an Olympic year......but it will be good to see Abbott and Verner again.

shirokjj

Why is Gracie going to the Japan Open again? She's bombed it twice when she was in much better shape and a much better skater before her slump. Hopefully knowing that she's facing the top two Russian ladies will make Gracie get into shape otherwise she will get embarrassed.

She's has an endorsement deal with KOSE doesn't she? And I believe KOSE is a sponsor of Japan Open, hence shes likely obligated to attend.

MsZem

I see the sea
Nice to see Verner, but I would prefer to see someone slightly more competitive.
It's the Japan Open. What's the point of an early-season meaningless competition if you can't have fun people there? As Sylvia noted, last year Amodio was the recently retired guy on team Europe; the year before that it was Joubert. Maybe they're trying to complete the 2011 Euros podium. I approve.

clairecloutier

I am just surprised that Ashley is not on the invite list. I wonder if she declined or if she just wasn't invited. Ashley has skated pretty well at JO the last couple years.

hanca

Values her privacy
It's the Japan Open. What's the point of an early-season meaningless competition if you can't have fun people there? As Sylvia noted, last year Amodio was the recently retired guy on team Europe; the year before that it was Joubert. Maybe they're trying to complete the 2011 Euros podium. I approve.
I understand why he was chosen, but I would still prefer a better skater.
I am aware that it is just a fun competition, but Japan won it the last two years, so I wouldn't mind making it a bit harder for them. I don't think team USA is very strong (no offence intended), so it seems that it could be team Europe's time to win. But Verner is not going to help very much.

DimaToe

Retired by Frank Carroll
If Gracie Gold should not go to competitions she's bombed in the past then it wouldn't leave her many options :shuffle:

If interest in her is still high enough to get this competition even after her subpar season I say good for her. Get whatever :bribe: she can earn and use the valuable early olympic season experience.

That being said I do feel that if team N. America included Canadians they might be a tad tougher for Team Japan to beat.

The ladies lineup is crazy though, all its missing is Miyahara (hopefully) but any of Honda,Mihara,Higuchi, or even Shiraiwa or Sakamoto would be excellent choices IMO

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
Let Gracie have her moment, she has plenty of Japanese fans and had some endorsements in Japan last year.

That sweet girl deserves love, compassion, more love, sympathy, some extreme motivation, and prayer.

Ashley obviously declined because of the traveling, so who cares really. Okay so maybe Mariah, Mirai, and Caroline care, but that's it. Get that :bribe: Gracie!! I hope she can turn things around in a positive direction this season, she deserves a one-way ticket out of hell IMO.

Stephanie

We don't know that Ashley declined. They could have picked Karen instead because she's the national champion and highest finisher at worlds.

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
It makes me more okay with Gracie being there instead of Ashley to delude myself into thinking that's the real reason. (Regardless if she declined or not).

I'm really glad Karen is going either way, I hope she's got some great programs again for us this year.

crzesk8dad

Where am I? How do I get off? Do I get ice cream?
Useless question: Why is it called an "open"? Entries are invited. :-/

Marco

No Ashley for the first time since 2013 IIRC. This event is where she usually debuts her free skate. Here's hoping she would use the extra time to prepare for her GPs.

I am hoping Marin and Mai get the Japanese entries.

screech

Normally one "ineligible" skater is invited for each team - last year Abbott, Florent Amodio and Nobunari Oda were in that category.
And didn't Nobu end up getting his personal best ever score at the event?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information