2017 ISU Challenger Series

clairecloutier

They have set the Challenger Series events for next year!

U.S. International FS Salt Lake City, USA September 13-17, 2017
Lombardia Trophy Bergamo, Italy September 14-17, 2017
Autumn Classic International Montreal, Canada September 20-23, 2017
Ondrej Nepela Trophy Bratislava, Slovak Republic September 21-23, 2017
Nebelhorn Trophy Oberstdorf, Germany September 27-30, 2017
Finlandia Trophy Espoo, Finland October 6-8, 2017
Minsk-Arena Ice Star Minsk, Belarus October 27-29, 2017
Warsaw Cup Warsaw, Poland November 16-19, 2017
Tallinn Trophy Tallinn, Estonia November 21-26, 2017
Golden Spin of Zagreb Zagreb, Croatia December 6-9, 2017

http://static.isu.org/media/1021/2085-decisions-of-the-council-helsinki-2017.pdf

A.H.Black

If anyone's interested, there will be a home football game for the University of Utah on the same weekend as the US International. Skaters and fans will be able to enjoy the tailgate party right outside the rink. Parking will be at a premium. Plan to come early and stay put.

Debbie S

If anyone's interested, there will be a home football game for the University of Utah on the same weekend as the US International. Skaters and fans will be able to enjoy the tailgate party right outside the rink. Parking will be at a premium. Plan to come early and stay put.
When I went in 2012, the UT-BYU game was that Saturday and it was crazy, but in a fun way. The players were staying at the hotel where the skaters were (an interesting combo, lol) and the hotel had 2 inflatable players, 1 in each uniform color, displayed on the parking lot. There was a tailgate on the rink parking lot on Saturday, but they kept one side open for rink parking and directed cars as they came in.

A.H.Black

When I went in 2012, the UT-BYU game was that Saturday and it was crazy, but in a fun way. The players were staying at the hotel where the skaters were (an interesting combo, lol) and the hotel had 2 inflatable players, 1 in each uniform color, displayed on the parking lot. There was a tailgate on the rink parking lot on Saturday, but they kept one side open for rink parking and directed cars as they came in.
They still keep that parking lot for the activities at the Steiner community center (the rink). The new wrinkle is when it gets busy - like it does for football games - they close that whole street. Last year there was a high school event at the stadium. They closed the street. We had to talk our way into the rink. This year we will keep our eye on the arrangements for traffic.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
They still keep that parking lot for the activities at the Steiner community center (the rink). The new wrinkle is when it gets busy - like it does for football games - they close that whole street. Last year there was a high school event at the stadium. They closed the street. We had to talk our way into the rink. This year we will keep our eye on the arrangements for traffic.

I was there last year and didn't encounter a street closure. Was that on Sunday? I flew home Sunday morning.

A.H.Black

I was there last year and didn't encounter a street closure. Was that on Sunday? I flew home Sunday morning.
Thinking back, it may have been at Sectionals - same rink. Just know that it is now pretty standard to close that road to traffic when there are events in the stadium. There should be a procedure for those going to Steiner, but I never count on it.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
If the weather is good, my group could potentially use the light rail from our hotel on campus. It doesn't look like a bad walk from the Trax stop.

Seerek

For Nebelhorn, are they setting limits as to the number of entries from countries who already have Pyeongchang berths?

StitchMonkey

For Nebelhorn, are they setting limits as to the number of entries from countries who already have Pyeongchang berths?

Countries who already have births can not earn more at Nebelhorn. The Olympic spots will be earned in order of who places highest among countries who do not already have spots. So how many Russians/Canadians/Americans/etc. does not impact who earn spots.

A.H.Black

Countries who already have births can not earn more at Nebelhorn. The Olympic spots will be earned in order of who places highest among countries who do not already have spots. So how many Russians/Canadians/Americans/etc. does not impact who earn spots.
I don't think that was the question. I think Seerek was asking if the number of competitors at Nebelhorn itself is being limited for countries who already have sport for the Olympics so that there will be room for all the competitors from countries who do not have a spot.

I think I understand the question but I don't have an answer.

Eislauffan

I don't think that was the question. I think Seerek was asking if the number of competitors at Nebelhorn itself is being limited for countries who already have sport for the Olympics so that there will be room for all the competitors from countries who do not have a spot.

I think I understand the question but I don't have an answer.

I understand the question the same way as A.H. Black. In the past countries that were not competing for an Olympic spot were allowed to send one skater IIRC (and Germany as the host possibly two or three). Nebelhorn is still listed as a CS event, so there must be a possibility for others to enter, too. But I will check anyway with the German Federation.

insideedgeua

If the weather is good, my group could potentially use the light rail from our hotel on campus. It doesn't look like a bad walk from the Trax stop.

I'm not sure where the hotel you are talking about is but we walked from Steiner rink to the light rail station by the University of Utah football stadium. It was only a short walk, maybe 5 minutes, but we stopped to take a few photos along the way so we took a little longer. Going to the rink you'd be walking uphill.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
At last Nebelhorn Germany limited the number to one/country for other members, even though for non-Olympic-qualifier years they allowed two for singles based on placing top 10 the year before and two for pairs and dance, if the limit hadn't been reached.

Host spots are not limited by Nebelhorn rules, but Germany competed one each in singles, three in Pairs, and none in Dance for 2014. They had qualified in all disciplines in London.

Last edited:

Seerek

Thanks for the answers regarding Nebelhorn, as the reason for my question was whether World Standing Points would be distributed similar to the other ISU Challenger series (i.e. 300 pts for 1st).

Sylvia

TBD
http://www.eislauf-union.de/events/nebelhorn-trophy
The Nebelhorn Trophy is the oldest figure skating competition in the world and will again take place in Oberstdorf, this year. The 49th edition will also be the Qualification Competition for the 2018 Olympic Winter Games which was designated by the ISU. The 2017 Nebelhorn Trophy will be hosted by the German Figure Skating Federation from September 27-30. In addition to that, the event will again be part of the Challenger Series 2017/18. The Challenger Series is the highest figure skating series below the Grand Prix and contains ten competitions. That implies the opportunity for more prize money and more world ranking points comparing to other autumn events. Similar to 2016, an exhibition will mark the final of the event.

Six ladies, six men, five dance couples and four pairs will achieve qualification places for their federations in Oberstdorf. At the World Championships in Helsinki, 24 ladies and men, 19 dance couples and 16 pairs already secured spots. The Nebelhorn Trophy therefore will be the second chance for many athletes. At the 2013 Qualification Competition 154 figure skaters from 50 nations made Oberstdorf to the center of the figure skating world.
Host spots are not limited by Nebelhorn rules, but Germany competed one each in singles, three in Pairs, and none in Dance for 2014. They had qualified in all disciplines in London.
@kwanfan1818, I assume 2014 was a typo and you meant 2013? One German dance team competed in 2013: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Nebelhorn_Trophy

insideedgeua

Nebelhorn has always operated slightly differently to the other CS events.

You can enter three skaters per discipline in the other CS events but only one skater at Nebelhorn (unless you had a skater in the top 10 the year before).

One of the main reasons for having the whole CS was to give more senior skaters international experience. Now we have more and more skaters with GP events also entering CS events so there are less places for these other skaters.

Last year Montreal also tried to limit entries of skaters from other countries to one skater. They only decided to open up more places after the close of entries.

It might be easy for USA to add more skaters at late notice but not so easy for federations further away.

I think if a country applies for a CS event then they should have to comply with the conditions in the bid documents of three skaters.

The only exception should be Nebelhorn in the pre-Olympic year.

Skaters ( or federations) pay their own way at these events so it's not like it costs the organisers more to have 3 skaters.

Vagabond

The Nebelhorn Trophy is the oldest figure skating competition in the world

I sure hope that there has been an error in translation because this statement is so palpably untrue. :duh:

care bear

I think they mean an event which is not EC or WC, that has been held each year since 1968. So AFAIK Skate Canada was held fist in the early 70th, Skate America 1979. I am not sure about Golden Spin, it could be so old like NT. BTW this is my fav competition, I went every year to Obertsdorf.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
http://www.eislauf-union.de/events/nebelhorn-trophy

@kwanfan1818, I assume 2014 was a typo and you meant 2013? One German dance team competed in 2013: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Nebelhorn_Trophy
I missed the German flag when perusing the dance rosters.

I should have been clearer about "for 2014" (Olympics).

My apologies.

Skaters ( or federations) pay their own way at these events so it's not like it costs the organisers more to have 3 skaters.
As we've discussed, adding flights does cost money.

Nebelhorn has long been a fixed-limit field. (Although they can expand the field for host athletes.). It's not like this was news to the ISU or a change, and between the time GP minimums were introduced and tge CS was created, it was one of the handful of senior internationals where skaters could earn GP minimums for the season.

I don't see why CS events should have to have the same rules, as long as they are clear and fairly applied. I don't know why it would be easier for the US to get extra spots in non-qualifier years, since every member with qualified skaters can request two, if applicable: if anything, last-minute replacements from a different country would more likely come from European training rinks, and the US doesn't often assign the max allowable across events.

Some events have prize money, and others don't, for example.

insideedgeua

We
I missed the German flag when perusing the dance rosters.

I should have been clearer about "for 2014" (Olympics).

My apologies.

As we've discussed, adding flights does cost money.

Nebelhorn has long been a fixed-limit field. (Although they can expand the field for host athletes.). It's not like this was news to the ISU or a change, and between the time GP minimums were introduced and tge CS was created, it was one of the handful of senior internationals where skaters could earn GP minimums for the season.

I don't see why CS events should have to have the same rules, as long as they are clear and fairly applied. I don't know why it would be easier for the US to get extra spots in non-qualifier years, since every member with qualified skaters can request two, if applicable: if anything, last-minute replacements from a different country would more likely come from European training rinks, and the US doesn't often assign the max allowable across events.

Some events have prize money, and others don't, for example.

Well, I wasn't talking from the perspective of only USA. From many if not most federations, skaters and their families are paying for their own flights.

I was talking in terms of opportunities for skaters to compete at. Senior B level if they were not competing at the GP level.

If GP skaters start to compete in more CS events and then some CS events start to limit numbers, then it defeats the whole purpose of the series.

Something like Cup of Nice is no longer a CS event. They can do whatever they like. I just think that if you apply to be a CS event then you should have to abide by the conditions set down by the ISU. I think Nebelhorn is different because it serves a different purpose in the pre Olympic year. But apart from that, if you want to be a CS event, then fulfil the requirements as set out by the ISU.

Sylvia

TBD
If GP skaters start to compete in more CS events and then some CS events start to limit numbers, then it defeats the whole purpose of the series.
Maybe GP skaters with 2 events should be allowed to compete only in 1 Challenger event per season?
Something like Cup of Nice is no longer a CS event.
France has never applied to make Cup of Nice a Challenger Series event since CS began in the fall of 2014. ETA: The upcoming season will be the 4th one for CS.

Last edited:

insideedgeua

I did just realise that we were talking at cross purposes with the use of the word flight.

Yes, more skaters cost more money in terms of ice time but it is rare for all countries to enter 3 skaters in an event, so allowing 3 spots doesn't mean every country filling three spots.

If that's too many then make it two spots per country across the board. Just don't keep changing it. Skaters look at those dates, out their preferences in for events and then things change. Last year Montreal in particular was very challenging behind the scenes with skaters being told one thing about numbers until the close of entries, then numbers changing a few days later, then adding more skaters a few days later again. This meant that some had then changed preferences or purchased different flights only for numbers to change and spots opened up.

It should be very clear when places and dates are published, how many skaters may go to each event and such last minute, after entries close type changes should be avoided.

Reactions: mag

insideedgeua

Maybe GP skaters with 2 events should be allowed to compete only in 1 Challenger event per season?

France has never applied to make Cup of Nice a Challenger Series event in the 3 seasons since CS began in the fall of 2014.
Sorry, yes you are correct. It was a good event but never a CS event.

My point was that as far as Cup of Nice is concerned they can decide on one skater per nation or ten because it isn't a CS event and doesn't have to abide by any CS documents.

On the other hand CS events should have to comply with CS requirements.

insideedgeua

Something like that would make a lot of sense Sylvia.

For those who care to look, ISU Communication 2074 covers the requirements for CS events.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information