WJC24 Junior Women SP

On My Own

@Sylvia is ticketing still open? My friend wants to catch Jia in the free after watching the SP lol.

She's a blessing. Also, she and Haein have caught the interest of many chinese fans over the last two years, they're the most popular Korean skaters in China I think.

Colonel Green

@Sylvia is ticketing still open? My friend wants to catch Jia in the free after watching the SP lol.

She's a blessing. Also, she and Haein have caught the interest of many chinese fans over the last two years, they're the most popular Korean skaters in China I think.
You should always be able to buy tickets day-of unless they’re sold out.

Evgeniafan

I don't totally disagree but I would say also that her jumps actually looked a lot better at nats. She was much tighter here.
In general, US Nationals need to stop ignoring under rotations of all their skaters. We have a lot of skaters that are not getting assignments, so we are not necessarily having the best skaters at international events.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Maybe USFS should take note and stop the aspirational jump calling (for everyone) at nationals. :slinkaway

I was in the middle of posting this, and you beat me to it.

A lot of worried this might happen with this team at JW.

Not to be a sourpuss here, but I still wonder what everhardt would’ve been able to do in the short program for USA

She had the lowest TES of more than 30 girls, her pc's saved her. Nationals needs to stop ignoring under rotations.
Yup - she's becoming one of those "great at Nats" skaters who shouldn't be considered by the USFS for major international assignments based off of one good skate per season.

caseyedwards

In general, US Nationals need to stop ignoring under rotations of all their skaters. We have a lot of skaters that are not getting assignments, so we are not necessarily having the best skaters at international events.
She was silver medalist! This looks horrendous for America

Private Citizen

"PC." Pronouns: none/none
The USFS should start to bring in (foreign) international callers for Nationals and probably even for the likes of Champs Camp. If anything, Lee was lucky not to get an edge warning/call here, which likely would have pushed her into the nonqualified group despite a "clean" skate.

Hoping (and betting) that both she and Zhang can move up in the free skate, but this result really highlights the need for much better calling at Nationals. It's not a difference of a couple of points or placements; in some cases, the liberal calling can make a difference of 5+ placements.

Junior short programs are almost becoming like compulsories - with all of the skaters doing all the same elements with near identical base values. Any error, no matter how small, can sink a skater. Even an edge warning or a q call. Underrotations are fatal.

fan

It is so small, but drives me nuts that shin does not point her toes. Maybe I’m old school

On My Own

Junior short programs are almost becoming like compulsories - with all of the skaters doing all the same elements with near identical base values. Any error, no matter how small, can sink a skater. Even an edge warning or a q call. Underrotations are fatal.
I don't see a problem with this, as long as PCS were at all scored meaningfully. Juniors should indeed be about testing everyone on their basics. They can be more daring when they enter seniors.

Stephanie

Not to be a sourpuss here, but I still wonder what everhardt would’ve been able to do in the short program for USA
I think Everhardt could have a bright future, but she hasn’t exactly set the world on fire internationally either. Unfortunately whoever was picked (including Lin-Gracey, Seo, and Higase-Chen) was going to carry some risks.

Last edited:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I think Everhardt could have a bright future, not she hasn’t exactly set the world on fire internationally either. Unfortunately whoever was picked (including Lin-Gracey, Seo, and Higase-Chen) was going to carry some risks.
Guaranteed that Seo would have gotten dinged for her rotations just like Josephine did. I think Everhardt is a solid skater who is on an Ava Ziegler-like trajectory. I don't think she would have been any worse than Josephine or Sherry.

Ultimately, what it comes down to is the USFS wasn't willing to snub it's senior silver medalist from an ISU Championship assignment, regardless of whether her jump rotations are suspect or her competitive history is not exactly great apart from Nats 2 years running. Hopefully next season we'll see some more consistency out of skaters like Annika Chao and maybe Keira Hilbelink will come on strong in the junior international ranks - JGP assignments are going to be precious few and all these skaters are going to have to scrap hard for them. Those who are senior age-eligible (like Lin-Gracey, Seo and Everhardt) would be well-advised to aim for senior assignments rather than toiling away in juniors next season, IMO.

Evgeniafan

Guaranteed that Seo would have gotten dinged for her rotations just like Josephine did. I think Everhardt is a solid skater who is on an Ava Ziegler-like trajectory. I don't think she would have been any worse than Josephine or Sherry.

Ultimately, what it comes down to is the USFS wasn't willing to snub it's senior silver medalist from an ISU Championship assignment, regardless of whether her jump rotations are suspect or her competitive history is not exactly great apart from Nats 2 years running. Hopefully next season we'll see some more consistency out of skaters like Annika Chao and maybe Keira Hilbelink will come on strong in the junior international ranks - JGP assignments are going to be precious few and all these skaters are going to have to scrap hard for them. Those who are senior age-eligible (like Lin-Gracey, Seo and Everhardt) would be well-advised to aim for senior assignments rather than toiling away in juniors next season, IMO.
And Mia Kalin has a 4T.

Sylvia

TBD
@On My Own Yes, but your friend would have to register for a free ticket - links from the official website:

Hope your friend can make it!

On My Own

@On My Own Yes, but your friend would have to register for a free ticket - links from the official website:

Hope your friend can make it!
Well I forwarded it to her anyway.

I told her a long time back it was in Taipei! Her fault if she misses now :p

Private Citizen

"PC." Pronouns: none/none
Ultimately, what it comes down to is the USFS wasn't willing to snub it's senior silver medalist from an ISU Championship assignment, regardless of whether her jump rotations are suspect or her competitive history is not exactly great apart from Nats 2 years running.

I agree with your rationale and will begrudgingly admit that the Selection Committee did its job properly. It's not really their place to overrule the callers or judges and come up with "what if the competition had been judged with proper calling" scenarios. I don't believe Lee should've beaten Sarah Everhardt, but my opinion aside, she did. The Selection Committee cannot and should not rejudge competitions. We need the callers and the judges to do their jobs and align to the international standards skaters will face outside the U.S., land of invisible underrotations and edge changes.

I also agree with you that Everhardt would be better off focusing on senior assignments.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Ok, can we stop sending Jeremie Abbotess to internationals? I’m still pissed that USFS deprived Sarah of her breakout year.

Vagabond

Ok, can we stop sending Jeremie Abbotess to internationals? I’m still pissed that USFS deprived Sarah of her breakout year.
I don't think that is a fair comparison. Abbott's problem was nerves, not underrotations. USFS can't do much about the former, but it can do a lot about the latter.

Sylvia

TBD
Okay, so it turns out the information was not incorrect. The Red Violin in this case does not have anything to do with the movie, and is the name of a record by Japanese violinist Ikuko Kawai.
Didn't you know that almost all Japanese singles skaters have had a program to Ikuko Kawai's "The Red Violin" at some point in their careers?! :p
ETA: Turns out I posted almost the exact same comment in the 2023 4CC Men's FS thread re. Shun Sato! ;)

BTW, your live PBP is VERY much appreciated!

Last edited:

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
My superficial take after cherry picking the replay. I loved Goidina, and I hope she will survive being coached by Rozanov. She did remind me of a young Kostornaia, and I wonder what her skating skills look like live.

I also loved Kushida. If not in skills, her maturity reminded me of Metelkina/Berulava in Pairs, like she chose the wrong door and landed in a Junior competition. That dress is stunning, and I can't get too much Aranjuez, with one potential exception.

I usually am gobsmacked by Shimada, but I think that program is a mess conceptually, not helped by the costume at all. I get that she shines with the upbeat music, but it seemed more personality than choreography.

Shin checks off most of the Korean Women boxes: Pastel party dress. Sappy music, with an Andre Rieu cherry on top. (Note: I will hunt down anyone who skates to Rieu performing Aranjuez, if he ever records it.) Long lines. But what she has is commitment to the music, however bad, and movement, however David Wilson, down to her fingertips. I'm really glad she won the SP.

Colonel Green

I usually am gobsmacked by Shimada, but I think that program is a mess conceptually, not helped by the costume at all. I get that she shines with the upbeat music, but it seemed more personality than choreography.
I think the program choreography is fine, but it's clearly a program for someone who exudes swagger in a way that Mao 2.0 really doesn't. I assume Weaver and the coaching staff's mindset was to expand her range, which is indeed what you want to do at the junior level in particular, the results are at best modest.

quartz

scratching at the light
My new favourite discovery is Elina Goidina - she moves her entire body to the music, absolutely lovely arms. Also really like Hana Bath. Lulu Lin is nice too, even tho she had 3 too many floofy flowers on her costume.
If I were a 14 year old skater, I’d be Hannah Frank - she’s quirky and kooky in a Helena Bonham Carter sort of way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information