All Thing PBS

Tesla

Whippet Good
Another show I really enjoy on Hulu is New Tricks. I think it's is really funny.

A.H.Black

I finished watching Grantchester. It grew on my as time went on, but I hope if it continues it will have a bit lighter tone. I thought when the Mrs. Maquire and Leonard entered into helping the investigation we might see a bit more fun. It was also hopeful when Sidney came clean with Hildegard and told Geordie about the things that haunted him. Maybe now he can get on with life. Probably not.

skatesindreams

What I find interesting is the contrast between the "uplifting" tone Sidney expresses to his congregation/community and his own inner turmoil and struggle.
He doubts that he deserves love because of his "sins",

Artemis@BC

Another show I really enjoy on Hulu is New Tricks. I think it's is really funny.

We've had New Tricks for several years from Knowledge Network. I loved the first few seasons, a nice change pace from all the dark & dreary police procedurals. (and the running gag about Sandra and dogs still makes me giggle)

But they kept it going for two long, especially after certain key cast members decided to leave, and I lost interest at that point.

Tesla

Whippet Good
We've had New Tricks for several years from Knowledge Network. I loved the first few seasons, a nice change pace from all the dark & dreary police procedurals. (and the running gag about Sandra and dogs still makes me giggle)

But they kept it going for two long, especially after certain key cast members decided to leave, and I lost interest at that point.
I'm worried about how it'll be when original cast members leave. I'll keep watching and I'll try to keep an open mind with the changes. Right now, each episode makes me laugh. And Strickland is quite good looking! :grope:

Artemis@BC

^ Yes, it's familiar subject matter, but with a new take on things.

I have family in the UK who've seen it, and say it's some of the finest period drama they've ever seen. I'm definitely looking forward to it. (I wish we could skip Selfridge altogether and go right to Wolf Hall!)

Jimena

I loved Grantchester. James Norton is so, so pretty! I just "discovered" him because I happened to watch 4 movies/series he's in in a row by chance. He's a wonderful actor. He was the one good thing in Death Comes to Pemberley (well, two, if you count Matthew Goode), he was very good in Belle, wonderful in Grantchester and just fantastic and creepy in Happy Valley. I'm very happy Grantchester will get a second series. Yes, it's conventional but I love Sydney as a character.

tamuno

I have never heard of Poldark so I bought the books to read about ahead of the airing later on PBS. I have to say I don't know why people like it as much as they do. It wasn't dull or anything but the constant feeling that Demelza was a chattel to Ross just kept ruining my sincere enjoyment of the series. I wanted to like it more than I did. Nevertheless I will still watch on TV but I did not really like Ross mostly because of the whole Elizabeth/Demelza thing.

dardar1126

I have never heard of Poldark so I bought the books to read about ahead of the airing later on PBS. I have to say I don't know why people like it as much as they do. It wasn't dull or anything but the constant feeling that Demelza was a chattel to Ross just kept ruining my sincere enjoyment of the series. I wanted to like it more than I did. Nevertheless I will still watch on TV but I did not really like Ross mostly because of the whole Elizabeth/Demelza thing.

I've never read the books or seen the original series, so I'm looking forward to this new Poldark + Aidan Turner is a little hottie! :swoon:

skatesindreams

Why judge everything by the social and political mores of 2015?
When I read or watch period material I view it "through the lens" of that time.

It allows me perspective and an appreciation of how things have changed.

cygnus

I love the Poldark series (and the books even more). While socially Demelza starts out in a much lower position than Ross- born in poverty and all that, the books show that she becomes in every way his equal- moreso than Elizabeth, who WAS at least his social equal. When watching historical drama, of course, there is always implied sexism and classism- that went with the times, and to ignore it and pretend that everyone was a contemporary enlightened person is historically inaccurate- and pointless. Why watch it at all, if one only wants to see modern ideas and attitudes?.

Ross is shown as way ahead of his times- few men of the age would have considered marrying their kitchen maids, although they would not have hesitated to make them their mistresses.

A.H.Black

I never thought that class had very much to do with the Elizabeth/Demelza thing. What if Demelza had been the daughter of a Duke? Ross would still have had that stupid yearning for Elizabeth. As for Demelza, there would always have been a class issue - even if Elizabeth had welcomed her like a sister. It was the times.

tamuno

I'm hardly someone who loves 'modernity' in all its form and I love/appreciate period tv for its portrayal of old time tradition and mores. So it's hardly that. He, Ross was ahead of his time for sure and lived by that. I think the books did a good job of highlighting that their union was really fraught by the class divide. I personally was irritated by how long it took to "bridge that divide" (if it was ever) mostly because of the hankering for the Elizabeth character. Even when he willfully cheated on Demelza yet she herself could not bring herself to do the same to him, was it class divide too?

I just had to watch the 1970's production, I don't know why but I was quite taken aback by how much they deviated from the book, even further highlighting the class divide by having him marry her because she was pregnant. I understood this to mean his overinflated sense of responsibility towards his tenants and their well-being not because of love or need obviously - his moral code of honor as a gentleman. But the longer they stayed married, the more he came to accept her fully but the Elizabeth thing never really went away and it was up to Demelza (perhaps out of love mingled with an eternal sense of gratitude to him for rescuing her from the filth) to deal with it. I truly hated this aspect. That's why I say she felt more to me like chattel. I got the sense that if she ever left he would carry on otherwise - no hankering.

The new series keeps closer to the book so far than the 1970 series did. But I have to wonder why do all the portrayals have Demelza with red-hair?? I think her hair was black in the book. Incidentally I read that the previous actors had a fight with the script-writers about the many changes and deviations from the book so much so that the 'Dwight' character actor did not return for the second season. I was also amazed to discover that the lady who played ' Elizabeth' in the previous Series is actually American! She had to learn to do accents.

cygnus

Well, in the books, Demelza did cheat on Ross- once, just has he did to her.

I think most of us don't get the obsession with Elizabeth that the three men had (Francis, Ross and George). As she is portrayed in both the book and the movies, she just seems so lifeless compared to Demelza (or Caroline, for that matter). I think he did get over Elizabeth eventually- but when she married George it was as much resentment of George as obsession over Elizabeth, if that makes any sense. By the later books, he certainly knew he had married the right woman.

tamuno

Well, in the books, Demelza did cheat on Ross- once, just has he did to her.

Yes but the author NEVER let him find out. I was really curious about this but alas I was denied any aftermath. Besides it was portrayed almost in ennobling terms as if she did it for 'the good of mankind"!!! The differences in how both their discretions were portrayed were miles apart.

but when she married George it was as much resentment of George as obsession over Elizabeth, if that makes any sense. By the later books, he certainly knew he had married the right woman.

Then go punch George!! Leave Elizabeth out of it. The book later explained that it was out of jealousy!! Jealousy?? Yes he later realized yet still when the whole 'is Elizabeth's new son the child of Ross' started, something flared up again. It was very confusing to me and did not hold up at all.

Last edited:

cygnus

Well, he did punch George more than once AFAIK. I haven't read the books for a few years- time to read the series again! I agree that the behaviour of all of them leaves much to be desired. Ross should have left Elizabeth alone. Elizabeth should not have told Ross that she shouldn't have married Francis, and. George should not have been a bully. I like the complexity of the characters and the fact that their actions have ramifications that echo over the years.

Jubak

I have Expat TV and have already seen Wolf Hall & the first two episodes of Poldark. As well as it's acted, Wolf Hall is both dark in tone & dark as in candlelit. I plan on watching it again as I found the first 2 episodes a bit boring & kept falling asleep. Maybe they will grab me on second viewing. The last episode is devastating, including the acting.

I never read the Poldark book or saw the original so I cannot compare them to this one but what I have seen so far I have really enjoyed. Like Aiden Turner much more in this than I ever did in "Being Human".

tamuno

I never read the Poldark book or saw the original so I cannot compare them to this one but what I have seen so far I have really enjoyed. Like Aiden Turner much more in this than I ever did in "Being Human

I've seen the original and didn't quite like it although I saw its charms. The new actor plays 'Ross' with a bit more sensitivity and less edge than the previous actor did. I too have also seen the two episodes. I think everyone was perfectly cast.

emason

I've seen the original and didn't quite like it although I saw its charms. The new actor plays 'Ross' with a bit more sensitivity and less edge than the previous actor did. I too have also seen the two episodes. I think everyone was perfectly cast.

The original Ross, Robin Ellis, said in an interview once that he came from a theater background, and that when he watches his performance as Ross he keeps telling himself to "Rein it in, Robin" because he realizes he was pitching his performance to the balcony.

Oreo

As a Poldark fan of the books and original series, I watched the first two episodes of the new Poldark and loved them. Robin Ellis, who has a cameo coming up somewhere in the new production, posted on his blog a recipe for a simple roast chicken that even "Prudie could cook," while raising a glass to the "whole wonderful cast."

Cachoo

We will finally be seeing Poldark and Wolf Hall soon here but the previews also talked of a series called "The Crimson Field" about the nurses who served in WWI. It looks interesting and of course much harsher than the "Midwife" series.

vesperholly

I watched the first few episodes of Wolf Hall. It really drags after
Cromwell's family dies
. A bunch of men who I can't keep track of - the series does a poor job of explaining who they are, especially when they're changing them from real life - having boring, weird conversations in quiet hallways. The actress playing Anne Boleyn is not nearly enough of a firebrand as she needs to be. Damien Lewis is great, though.

Loving this season of Mr Selfridge. It's got the Downton Abbey feeling but the plots are much more unique, interesting and enjoyable. But if you don't like Jeremy Piven, you'll probably hate it.

Grantchester: James Norton :swoon: but I have a hard time with Castle-ish setups like this - amateur so-and-so (priest, writer, etc) joins the force to fight crime! I keep going, "get out of there, you're not helping!" And boy, is there a ton of crime in his little town. Conversely I loved Case Histories, at least he's a private detective and former cop.

dardar1126

I saw a PBS preview of new upcoming dramas and they look quite interesting:

Period dramas = Wolf Hall April 5th, Poldark in June, The Crimson Field this summer (the actor who plays Molesley plays a WWI English army officer!)

Mysteries = The Widower and The Guilty both this fall

Also read somewhere that we will get Indian Summers (set in 1930s India) later this year.

:cheer:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information