Love, Balls and Courting: Tennis V

OnyxRose81

The woes of Rafa continue. He lost in Buenos Aires to Dominic Thiem, 6-4, 4-6, 7-6 (4). It's not a bad loss per se; Thiem isn't a slouch on clay at all but it's another indicator that the Nadal of old is gone.

Very excited about Taylor Fritz. I hope he can beat Berankis and get to his first ATP final in Memphis. An American who possesses a backhand that's NOT completely terrible? What is this witchcraft?

topaz

Sad about Rafa's lost.

Women's news: Serena, Kerber and Caroline W will not play in Dubai. Serena cited an illness; Kerber and Caroline cited injuries.

On a coaching change - Justine Henin will be coaching Elina Svitolina. There first tourney together will in Doha. Svitolina is ranked #21 in the world now but her highest ranking was #19

oleada

Vika takes out Serena in the Indian Wells final 64 64 :eek:

I didn't expect that. Serena had demolished Radwanska and what I saw of Vika, she hadn't played so well. Good for Vika - she's back in the top 10 and with only 500 points to defend until Wimbledon. And good for the sport, I think, to have a player who can give Serena a fight.

It's so unusual to see Serena lose back to back finals.

Maofan7

Away (Workload)
Vika takes out Serena in the Indian Wells final 64 64 :eek:

I didn't expect that. Serena had demolished Radwanska and what I saw of Vika, she hadn't played so well. Good for Vika - she's back in the top 10 and with only 500 points to defend until Wimbledon. And good for the sport, I think, to have a player who can give Serena a fight.

It's so unusual to see Serena lose back to back finals.

Fantastic news. :cheer2::biggrinbo:cheer2::biggrinbo:cheer2:

Rottie

It was a pretty good match. Hopefully we'll see lots more finals with these two!

OnyxRose81

Love her or hate her, the WTA needs someone, anyone, who can be a consistent threat. Kerber won the AO but lost in the first round in her next tournaments. This is not how it should be. Other players have beaten Serena but typically you can't find them anywhere on a consistent basis. Vika can be that one if she continues to stay healthy and improve that serve/moment.

gk_891

Congrats to Djokovic for winning another Masters 1000 tournament. He's clearly at a level higher than anyone else, especially when he turns it up a notch for final matches.

Nishikori had a fine tournament. Although he was thoroughly outclassed by Novak today, you have to consider the level that Novak played at (I don't think anyone could've beaten him today). And to his credit, Kei could be considered the front runner of the case pack that's just behind the top 5.

Rottie

Nishikori played great against Monfils and Kyrgios to get to the final, and played well against Djokovic. Everyone looks sort of pedestrian when they play him these days. Nice job!

Yay to have Vika back in top form. That definitely enriches the women's game.

Seerek

I'd put Kei as #2 right now for 2016 (Murray went out early at Indian Wells and Miami), however, Kei's lost all 4 matches to players ranked ahead of him (inc. 2 winnable matches vs. Nadal at Indian Wells and Murray at Davis Cup). He's improved on clay, but I'm actually looking to Dominic Thiem was Djokovic's #1 rival on clay this spring.

topaz

Lots of movement in the ranking for the women. Vika is not ranked #5 and Kerber/Radwanska appear to be swapping seeds with each tourney. I think only around 50 points separates their ranking. Garbine is holding on to #4.

Radwanska's 2015 season started so horribly that she does not have alot points to defend at the FO and Wimbledon. My money is on Kerber regaining the #2 ranking by the end of the FO.

Rottie

And Rafa just won in Barcelona, defeating Kei Nishikori in the final in two sets. I think he's ba-aack!

TalentedButHumble

Anyone have a link to RG coverage in the US?
Too bad ESPN dropped RG. I don't have cable TV, but have been able to catch a lot of tennis on the ESPNs streaming.
Now I'm trying to figure what might be available on a combo of apps/ subscriptions like TennisChannelPlus and NBCSNExtra apps. Plus NBC has some coverage the middle weekend and the finals.
(Shades of Worlds when all the people who have NBCSN were all :cheer2: and I was :wall: )

Lorac

Murray wins Rome - beating Djokovic in 2 sets. I think this French Open is totally unpredictable on the men's side with the top 3 contenders - Djokovic, Murray and Nadal all winning a clay court title in the run up. I keep hoping Federer will win another GS but it is looking more unlikely :(. This is the only one I think Nadal can win again but he is no longer as invincible as he was on the red clay. Maybe Murray could sneak in and win this GS :). Djokovic wants it to much IMHO which could hinder him going into Roland Garros.

Sylvia

TBD
Serena Williams wins her 70th title in Rome: http://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/36297536
The world number one beat her fellow American 7-6 (7-5) 6-3 to triumph in Rome for the fourth time since 2002.
Williams, 34, last won a title in Cincinnati in August, and has since lost finals at the US Open, Australian Open and Indian Wells. <snip>
Williams showed the value of experience as she claimed her 70th career title in her 89th final - with [Madison] Keys playing only her second.

topaz

Anyone have a link to RG coverage in the US?
Too bad ESPN dropped RG. I don't have cable TV, but have been able to catch a lot of tennis on the ESPNs streaming.
Now I'm trying to figure what might be available on a combo of apps/ subscriptions like TennisChannelPlus and NBCSNExtra apps. Plus NBC has some coverage the middle weekend and the finals.
(Shades of Worlds when all the people who have NBCSN were all :cheer2: and I was :wall: )

The Tennis Channel has excellent coverage. Tennis Channel Plus app is $90 for the season(roughly $7.50/monthly). Can you subscribe to Direct TV ?

It's really sad that ESPN gave up on French Open. The US have some incredibly good women's players.

Seerek

Roland Garros Draws - Top 8 seeds

Men

Djokovic vs. Berdych
Nadal vs. Tsonga
Wawrinka vs. Raonic
Murray vs. Nishikori

Women

Serena Williams vs. Azarenka
Kerber vs. Bacsinszky
Muguruza vs. Vinci
Radwanska vs. Halep

Hindernisse

I'm at the French Open on May 30 this year. I'll be in Paris at the time and just couldn't resist getting a ticket. I have NO idea what to expect but I'm sure hoping to have a blast!

How nice! Let's pray for the weather. At the moment the forecast does not look too good. I am there on May 29 and every forecast I checked shows showers and thunderstorms for Sunday... I really hope it changes closer to the weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information