Lubov and Dylan - Wowza!

aliceanne

That lunge into the overhead lift was amazing.

He tosses her so effortlessly into the stratosphere and she just floats down ever so lightly...

Last edited:

Catherine M

That lunge into the overhead lift was amazing.

He tosses her so effortlessly into the stratosphere and she just floats down ever so lightly...

As great as that overhead lift was in person, the one element that had myself and my friend going :eek: was their throw lutz. For us it was their best element, especially in practice when Luba was landing them perfectly, with tremendous flow on the landing. Too bad the one in the freeskate was a little rough but hopefully she'll get it clean in both the SP & LP at 4CC and Worlds as its an element that has the potential to really pull in the +GOE's.

liv

Yeah, these 2 have that "something" that sets them apart now. She just sparkles and their programs are so interesting with so many unique moves. To do so well, so quickly, is special. Their interaction on the ice is great...you'd never know it's only been months.

The split 3twist is relatively weak and hopefully it IS just a timing issue. That particular element can be such a wow! factor element if done well and immediately makes you sit up and take notice that *this is a good team!* as well as giving you big points.

My question to those out there in the know is : why do teams now do more of a lateral split twist as opposed to the ones that Gordeeva/Grinkov and Brasseur/Eisler used to do (and yes, I know, B/E did both)? I so much prefer the traditional way, straight up and down in the air... so much neater and less sloppy on the landings.

fan

Due to COP, you only get the levels if the girl is caught on the hips - almost impossible with a vertical twist

ice crystal

Can't help but be fascinated by these two and their stories. They come off as thorougly likeable on and off the ice. Only problem in following them is that I can't find a lot of the online (I am in Australia and we don't have a pay TV sports channel subscription). Whereas for a Russian pair, there is everything from the warm-up to K&C to medal ceremonies and press conferences readily on youtube. Can someone please point me in the direction; I haven't even found their very first SP (Octoberfest). What I did come across as this article,
http://www.thestar.com/sports/skati...itterbug-finale-calm-after-storm-dimanno.html Wouldn't mind seeing some footage as to what/how Luba said that.

Catherine M

Their first SP at Octoberfest didn't make it Youtube.

What's on youtube is their free from Octoberfest, both skates from Warsaw cup and both skates from Canadians. Challenge skates are on Dailymotion.

Here are the links for Challenge skates via Dailymotion:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2...vitch-senior-pairs-short-program-replay_sport

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2...covitch-senior-pair-free-program-replay_sport

Interview--starts about 30 seconds into clip:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2c0uri_luba-illyusheshkina-dylan-moscovitch-interview-replay_sport

rvi5

...What I did come across as this article,
http://www.thestar.com/sports/skati...itterbug-finale-calm-after-storm-dimanno.html Wouldn't mind seeing some footage as to what/how Luba said that.

In the article it said...

"But Iliushechkina — second to Tower-Moore and Moscovitch with her then-partner when Skate Canada was held here five years ago —"

...I must have fallen asleep in my seat during that competition. I thought Luba/Nodari were first, Kirsten/Dylan second, and Paige/Rudi third.
shrug.gif

ice crystal

In the article it said...

"But Iliushechkina — second to Tower-Moore and Moscovitch with her then-partner when Skate Canada was held here five years ago —"

...I must have fallen asleep in my seat during that competition. I thought Luba/Nodari were first, Kirsten/Dylan second, and Paige/Rudi third.
shrug.gif
Yes, I saw that too. Well, the picture of the then podium shows Luba/Nodari in the middle. ;)
The article quotes Luba as having said, "Go big or go home...." perhaps implying that she gloated a bit... not sure. Hope they give her a bit of leeway in the language department. Also who wouldn't get excited after being out of competition for so long. Would be interesting seeing her saying it rather than reading about it.

geoskate

Regardless of what happens at worlds, they have now set themselves up for guaranteed assignment(s) on the Grand Prix series next season. Their score here would have put them about 18th on last season's season best list, so they will almost certainly remain in the top 24 on this season's list with this score.

(Or did Warsaw cup already count for the season's best list? I don't think so, but I could be wrong).

This was their best effort yet in the long program. It's been their weakest program all season (I think they must have worked on the short program first when they joined up), so it's encouraging that it continues to improve. They had several minor errors, but overall it was well done. I don't entirely agree with the scoring here, but they could easily break 120 points at worlds with a program that is slightly cleaner.

It's intriguing to look at how the judges marked their PCS scores compared to other pairs teams. There is a lot of variation, with some judges putting them in the upper ranges of the pairs teams here, and other judges putting them well down the list. It could simply be that different judges value different things, but my own theory (rather cynical) is that some of the judges don't actually know how to mark PCS scores, and are a bit lost until a concensus develops for the range that a team should be in.

cbd1235

IMO they were harshly undermarked on PCS here (couple points difference between the unfortunately boring Moore-Towers/Marinaro??) but it is always like that with a new team. I don't suspect it will change anytime soon, but with each coming event from Worlds to the GP next season they will see their PCS climb, and somewhere around the back-end of next season it should be close to what they merit. That's how I think it will go anyway. And not to mention they will work out the kinks and improve their skating over this time aswell, I am optimistic!

Debbie S

I really like this team and hope they continue to improve and climb in the rankings! This season will be a great place to build from. I think their relatively low PCS is in part due to their not always being in unison - one tends to be slightly ahead/behind the other. I think they have great chemistry, but they need more mileage to truly skate 'as one'.

JasperBoy

Stayin inside
He seems so much more glamorous with her. Even though she is the focal point of the team when they perform, I notice him more now too. They really have a unique look. They aren't a generic Russian or North American pairs team.
I liked Luba's softer look in 4CC LP. Having her hair loose was an improvement. So was the makeup although it was a bit heavy handed.
Once they have sorted their pairing issues...which didn't take long, they can work on their image. Of course happy smiles go a long way! These two are basking in the joy of a new chance to do what they each love most.

shan

Liam Firus sold T-shirts prior to Sochi, and I believe, was quite successful with them. I know they sold out the first order because the colour changed. Hopefully Dylan and Lubov will be able to raise some money with theirs.

I hope so too! :)

aftershocks

Banned Member
Yes, I thought Lubov and Dylan skated very well their first Worlds together as a new team. Dylan was slightly tight in the sp, but he handled it well. Lubov was great on her jumps and throws. She's so elegant, joyful and determined. They started out so well in the fs and definitely would have moved up in the standings but a slight miscue got them both thrown off their rhythm, which can be very difficult for a new team to adjust to during the heat of competition. So, they should just chalk it all up to experience under their belt that will help them be that much better going forward to face future competition pressure. :)

ETA: It's probably worth noting that Meagan and Eric had a minor miscue on a spin element right after their quad throw was landed with a slight hand down by Meagan in the fs. Because of their years of experience as a team and many moments together under pressure, they managed to stay on their game and in their rhythm. To do that apparently requires regaining balance and then immediately forgetting about the close call and just taking care of the rest of the program in style. That's why daily run-throughs are so important, as well as knowing your partner backwards and forwards, so that you both can stay in sync when something goes slightly wrong.

Last edited:

ice crystal

Here is the link with British Eurosports commentary ('frida', as posted in gs - you might need headphones) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk8vC8Si7lU
It is very complimentary of Lubov, but also a tad worrying what they had to say about the last minute or so. Whatever the case may have been, I feel confident that it will be resolved by their team. Wishing them all the best for the next season. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information