All Thing PBS

tamuno

Anytime I see these recaps with their 'burning questions' it makes me laugh. I advise everyone to keeps their hopes low.

Artemis@BC

Yeah, I don't have any burning questions either. I'll watch in January when it comes to PBS, but DA went from "must-see-TV" to "entertaining diversion" a long time ago.

Latte

Anytime I see these recaps with their 'burning questions' it makes me laugh. I advise everyone to keeps their hopes low.
I have seen bad reviews from people who saw something before I did , before, and then it was televised, I liked it. So I am waiting until I see it myself to judge it.

AragornElessar

Did anyone else see The Candy Bomber the other night? What a story and what a man to boot!!

It is the story of an Air Force pilot who during the Berlin Airlift at the end of World War II, who came up w/a way to get candy to the children of West Berlin by tying Hershey bars and pieces of gum to handkerchief parachutes and tossing them out the windows of the Bomber on their approach into the airfield. He had met some of the kids a few days before when they had gathered behind a portion of the fencing around the base, gave them all he had in the way of candy, which was only two pieces of Wrigley's Spearmint gum and watching those kids first split the pieces as small as possible to get to as many as possible and then...Then they tore the wrappers up and handed that out. He said seeing those kids just bring that wrapper up to their noses and take in the first smell of something in the way of candy in such a long time was what make him decide to come up w/what became known as Operation Little Vittles.

It really is quite the story and I needed the Kleenex box a couple of times too, so fair warning there!! I really hope it comes back on again, as the Parents missed it and I know they'd love it. Anyway, if you get a chance to see this, watch it!! You won't regret it.

A.H.Black

He lives in my area so I have known much of the story for years. I'm glad to see his story told on a much larger stage. He is quite a man - in his nineties and still very active and still serving.

skatesindreams

He lives in my area so I have known much of the story for years. I'm glad to see his story told on a much larger stage. He is quite a man - in his nineties and still very active and still serving.

Here is a link to the program preview;
http://video.pbs.org/video/2365375773/

I first heard/saw the story when Tom Brokaw told it during last year's Mormon Tabernacle Choir Christmas Special.
If I find a clip, I'll share it,

Here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hjz8yu5MWC0

Last edited:

Cachoo

I was moved by "The Candy Bomber." I also remember that "The American Experience" featured a docu about the Berlin Airlift. At the end a man was talking about being a small boy in Germany tasting his first orange that came directly from the airlift. Who knew a simple orange would be something to be savored? These programs remind me how much we take for granted.

A.H.Black

I caught up on my NOVA evisode "First Man on the Moon" about Neil Armstrong. Armstrong was one of my true heroes. It was very well done. Nice to hear directly from friends and close family. He was quite a man. It seems he was able to be completely calm in a crisis - a very rare quality. He was certainly the right man for the role of first on the moon.

Karina1974

^^^ Saw it when they showed it a few weeks ago. Worth watching again.

Incidentally, among my presents were two DVD sets with 6 of the "Road" movies. Only one missing is The Road to Hong Kong, and my dad (who bought them for me) said the reviews for that one aren't that great.

tamuno

Thanks Dardar for all the updates. Do you know when their winter programming is coming, apart from Grantchester and Downton? Poldark most specifically?. I'm ready to move on from Downton. Kudos to the show though for keeping my interest till 5!!! series. Most of these 'serials' don't keep my interest past the first outing.

acraven

Thanks Dardar for all the updates. Do you know when their winter programming is coming, apart from Grantchester and Downton? Poldark most specifically?.

In Washington DC, WETA begins broadcasting Poldark on January 17. Since this is not a new program, I suspect the scheduling may vary from station to station.

Artemis@BC

In Washington DC, WETA begins broadcasting Poldark on January 17. Since this is not a new program, I suspect the scheduling may vary from station to station.

I'm guessing that will be the 1970s version. But it's the 2015 remake that people are getting excited about -- and that one will almost certainly be a Masterpiece headliner and air on all affiliates at the same time.

acraven

I'm guessing that will be the 1970s version. But it's the 2015 remake that people are getting excited about -- and that one will almost certainly be a Masterpiece headliner and air on all affiliates at the same time.

Yes, the program I was talking about is on the WETAUK sub-channel, which isn't where the new programs go (at least not initially).

Artemis@BC

I recorded the Billy Joel - Gershwin Prize thing last night but haven't watched it yet. Did anyone catch it, and was it any good?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information