The ALL NEW Youtube thread!!

barbk

A few clips of Laurent Tobel, the 1999 French National Champion. It's probably a good thing that there has never been another skater quite like him. He is particularly noteworthy for his strange, slow straightline footwork and humorous choreography (not altogether to American taste :shuffle:). At 6'4" with a powerful but lean build, the dude makes Evan Lysacek look puny! :wideeyes:

1999 Skate Canada LP -- Austin Powers Simply amazing. Skating while the arena's fire alarm was going off. :respec:

He had fun, and we had fun. Did he have a successful pro career in Europe? Anyone know what he's doing these days? I always found him more interesting to watch than Candeloro.

floskate

Vacant
I just uploaded this because it's not on youtube!! Gotta be seen, especially with the movie coming up. Doug Ramsey was the skater who in 1960 beat Frank Carroll in juniors then in his first senior year came 4th despite a superb freeskate. When Tim Brown pulled out of the World team through illness, Doug was headed to Prague. :(

1961 US Nationals - Doug Ramsey FS

bardtoob

I just uploaded this because it's not on youtube!! Gotta be seen, especially with the movie coming up. Doug Ramsey was the skater who in 1960 beat Frank Carroll in juniors then in his first senior year came 4th despite a superb freeskate. When Tim Brown pulled out of the World team through illness, Doug was headed to Prague. :(

1961 US Nationals - Doug Ramsey FS

:wideeyes: That was a clinic on double jumps, including a Double Walley and 2A with crossed arms from spread eagle :watch:

Last edited:

orbitz

Scott Williams (Michelle Kwan's coach during 2003)

- I wish Michelle stayed with him; I wonder if her Bolero would've been different

Why would it have been different? Scott was more of a friend supporting her in 03 than an actual coach. He wouldn't have dared to tell Michelle to not drop Chris Dean's choreography or drop Bolero altogether.

CoolGuy

Why would it have been different? Scott was more of a friend supporting her in 03 than an actual coach. He wouldn't have dared to tell Michelle to not drop Chris Dean's choreography or drop Bolero altogether.

Power of suggestion from a friend vs. a coach dictating what you should and shouldn't do. I'm not saying it would be different, but there's no harm in wondering.

aliceanne

Thanks to U.S. Figure Skating, many skating fans accounts have been shut down :(

That seems crazy to me. Even if they ever wanted to issue this stuff and sell it, I would buy it just for the quality. It's not as if watching on youtube is that great, but it does introduce you to the oldies but goodies, and people you never get to see on tv.

:soapbox:I've bought many DVDs and CDs because I saw or heard clips on youtube first. :soapbox:

Michael O'C

That seems crazy to me. Even if they ever wanted to issue this stuff and sell it, I would buy it just for the quality. It's not as if watching on youtube is that great, but it does introduce you to the oldies but goodies, and people you never get to see on tv.

:soapbox:I've bought many DVDs and CDs because I saw or heard clips on youtube first. :soapbox:

You're right, it is simply impossible to buy most of what is on YouTube in shops or elsewhere. I realise that there is a difference between posting the latest contests or events on YouTube and pasting classical events. I can't see how posting Dick Button's Olympic programme could possibly hurt the USFA or ISU. Here in Australia we see no figure skating (NONE) on TV so YouTube is not taking money out of anyone's pocket.

aftershocks

Banned Member

Classic case of mind-boggling idiocy on the part of USFS. Guess they figure more fans will be forced to purchase their overpriced icenetwork or more likely they are just so wrapped up in "we own the rights," they fail to realize the value of youtube in promoting their product and educating fans about the history of the sport. They are just shooting themselves in the skate blade and throwing the baby out with the bath water. :kickass:

floskate

Vacant
Add the IOC into that too. Leading up to Vancouver I received a message ordering me to take down ALL my old Olympic footage or else I'd be banned. I had most of the '76 Olympics up I think but they were most concerned with John Curry's performances which had been up since I joined in 2005 and had over 70,000 hits. I had so many messages from youtubers asking why I'd taken it down and they were all pretty disgusted when I tild them why. I have a LOT of other rare stuff that I have not shared on fsvids or youtube because it's more trouble than it's worth sadly. They'll never learn will they?

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
I just lost my youtube account because Eurosport called infringement because I had posted Wing and Lowe's 2003 FD.

What is my surprising, I also lost my Google sites website, which was not about skating and contained nothing but personal content. I am distressed about this, and am trying to get Google to give back access to my website.

However, I would caution anyone else who has a youtube account not to use Google Sites with the same email address.

julieann

Add the IOC into that too. Leading up to Vancouver I received a message ordering me to take down ALL my old Olympic footage or else I'd be banned. I had most of the '76 Olympics up I think but they were most concerned with John Curry's performances which had been up since I joined in 2005 and had over 70,000 hits. I had so many messages from youtubers asking why I'd taken it down and they were all pretty disgusted when I tild them why. I have a LOT of other rare stuff that I have not shared on fsvids or youtube because it's more trouble than it's worth sadly. They'll never learn will they?

That's what I was told by the IOC as well when I uploaded a skate from 2010 but I noticed Kim's skate is still up on youtube, still is, about the only one they haven't taken down. I even had an interview with Aliona Savchenko after they skated with no reference to the Olympics at all and they still demanded it be removed. :rolleyes:

skatesindreams

I just lost my youtube account because Eurosport called infringement because I had posted Wing and Lowe's 2003 FD.

What is my surprising, I also lost my Google sites website, which was not about skating and contained nothing but personal content. I am distressed about this, and am trying to get Google to give back access to my website.

However, I would caution anyone else who has a youtube account not to use Google Sites with the same email address.

Doris, that's ridiculous.
I'm so sorry!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information