2024 Canadian Stars on Ice

cheremary

Review of opening night of Stars on Ice in Halifax:

You can find some more short clips of the show on the blog's YouTube channel:

If anyone has questions about the show, don't hesitate to ask!

Thanks so much for the review and the videos! Loved seeing Patrick and Satoko's solos and bits of the Skating Observation Institute theme. Was the person in the yellow suit Keegan? What was he supposed to be?

There's some interesting footwork and choreography in Patrick's solos - a beautiful nod to his lovely skating skills. He does an axel that takes off and lands on the left foot here - is there a name for this jump?

Debbie S

Thanks so much for the review and the videos! Loved seeing Patrick and Satoko's solos and bits of the Skating Observation Institute theme. Was the person in the yellow suit Keegan? What was he supposed to be?

There's some interesting footwork and choreography in Patrick's solos - a beautiful nod to his lovely skating skills. He does an axel that takes off and lands on the left foot here - is there a name for this jump?
I think it's called a 1-foot axel? Jill Trenary used to do something like that in her competitive programs.

skategal

Bunny mama

Keegan is a crash test dummy for the skating experiments. :lol:

Sally1214

I was at the Halifax show on Thursday. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Besides all the highlights listed above I really liked Madeline's 2nd half performance. Also, I came away from the event liking Ilia more than I had before. Yes, he's a great jumper but it was terrific seeing how much fun he was having. He was the "baby" of the cast for sure but he really fit in well. Loved seeing his raspberry twist but also some other unusual arm and body positions he's working into his performances. This kid's "artistry" is a work in progress and I'm liking what I see.
It's a really fun show. If you get a chance to see it .... DO!

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
…I came away from the event liking Ilia more than I had before. Yes, he's a great jumper but it was terrific seeing how much fun he was having. He was the "baby" of the cast for sure but he really fit in well. Loved seeing his raspberry twist but also some other unusual arm and body positions he's working into his performances. This kid's "artistry" is a work in progress …

@Sally1214 my husband & I came away from last week’s Gold on Ice show in Leesburg the same. We sat in the front on-ice row and noticed that only Ilia made a point of looking at our eyes when he came close. It wasn’t just his movement. He now imparts charisma with his looks and use of eyes. He’s becoming a real performer. What a future he has.
I remember this quality and use of eyes/making contact with audience members by Scott Hamilton back in the day.

Last edited:

sp555

I went to the show in Moncton on Friday. A small audience unfortunately but we tried to make up for that with big cheers at the end of each performance. :D

I prefer competitions to shows but I had a great time. It was my first time seeing many of the more recent champion skaters live - they were all great. My friend loved Satoko's dramatic program in the first half.

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!

SkateGuard

Could you say few words about Loena's performance?

Loena skated very well! Her first number was very poppy - "One Kiss" by Amber Leigh Irish & Calvin Harris/Dua Lipa and her second number was a slower piece a version of Remo Forrer's song "Heaven or Hell". The lyrics to her second program ("like fire and ice") seemed to go over well with the crowd.

honey

My post is probably going to be unpopular, but the theme was a real no for me. Deeply unfunny for the majority of the night and just all around somewhat pointless. I felt sort of bad for the cast honestly. Deanna didn’t wait to get on SOI until she was 40 to wear a knee length lab coat and what looked like rubber gloves to wash dishes the entire night.

The only two bits that worked for me were the Ilia single to quad progression and the measuring of Keegan’s backflip. In theory having Satoko demonstrate choreography was a good idea, but the execution was poor IMO. Instead of having her repeat the same 3-4 turns in rapid succession with little ice coverage, it would have been more effective if they’d actually had her skate some full out choreographic pieces that she excels at. Would have loved a full speed Ina Bauer and spiral for example. Sure have her do a sequence of rockers, counters, brackets once. But I didn’t need to see it five times.

For the rest of the “science”….was not into it. Why were they playing with beach balls? Why were they also playing some other game catching smaller balls? What does that have to do with skating or science?

I also felt the entire thing had a low rent feel. They were clearly skimping of costumes in the group numbers. Everyone wore one of their own costumes in the opening number for example. And this makes it look like they wandered into the local skating club for a one off show for $5 a ticket. Why couldn’t they just have rented one of the beautiful sets of costumes from a previous year if there was no money for new costumes? An ice show needs some sparkle and not a single other costume that was made specifically for this show had any sparkle on it.

I am a huge Kurt fan and think he’s one of the greatest of all time. But a gifted choreographer he is not. I disliked the show in 2015 (the previous time he was in charge) and disliked it even more this time. It doesn’t make me excited to go back next year if he’s at the helm again.

I think the attempt at comedy would have been fine if it was a singular bit that only lasted a few minutes. It didn’t need to be something they tried to do for 2.5 hours. I also think that he could have pulled this off as a program. But not everyone is him, and they don’t all have his comedic timing or acting chops. But bottom line is that I don’t desire to see that much time being spent on things so hokey and cringy.

I will say the finale was very well done and I quite liked it. Perhaps because no one was wearing a lab coat.

And beyond all that, there were some really wonderful individual performances on the tour this year. And for that reason I’d still encourage people to go.

Some random (positive ;)) thoughts

This is far and away the best Maddie Schizas has ever skated. I don’t know who did her programs (especially the Lion King) or what they did with her skating in the last month, but she looked like an entirely different skater than any other time I’ve seen her. I’ve long been a fan, but also very aware of her short comings. But this is the first time where I’ve seen her and thought she looked like an equal of others in the cast. Speed, nice open posture and great arms throughout. More of this please.

Loena is a really great addition to any tour. She had sparkle on the ice and her personality comes through. I find her music choices a bit random, but I really enjoy watching her. She was jumping well, so hopefully the injury at worlds wasn’t anything that will linger.

I also really enjoyed Elvis this year. The second program is super fun and he works the audience better than anyone else there. So impressive that the jumps are still solid after all these years.

I will miss Patrick and his beautiful skating. Seems so soon to be saying goodbye, but I get it and wish him well.

Ilia was very enjoyable. I think this is the most commitment to his choreography from him that I’ve seen and I really like his second program. Casually knocked off a couple quads during the course of the night :lol:.

Piper and Paul had two great programs. Agree with some tweets I saw that the I Wanna Dance With Somebody might have been a better Rhythm dance choice than what they did. I often find myself more drawn to their exhibitions than they competitive programs for whatever reason. They are great show skaters and I get the sense that Piper is the glue of the cast sometimes. She sold the comedy bits the best I thought.

Satoko was glorious to watch. To be honest I didn’t love her programs last year, but she knocked it out of the park this time. She even did a couple triples (one was < but who is counting ;)). Just pristine quality to her skating.

Deanna really does have a 90s quality to her skating that I love and feel is missing from today’s skaters. She presents herself beautifully at all times and I think she loves what she is doing. I thought their first program was lovely, a little less in love with the second, but it was still enjoyable. They were a nice addition to the cast.

Keegan’s backflip really is a gasp moment. Wonder what if feels like to fly 20 feet while flipping?

Those are my unfiltered thoughts. Feel free to :angryfire me :p.

Last edited:

Alilou

Ubercavorter
My post is probably going to be unpopular, but the theme was a real no for me. Deeply unfunny for the majority of the night and just all around somewhat pointless. I felt sort of bad for the cast honestly. Deanna didn’t wait to get on SOI until she was 40 to wear a knee length lab coat and what looked like rubber gloves to wash dishes the entire night.

The only two bits that worked for me were the Ilia single to quad progression and the measuring of Keegan’s backflip. In theory having Satoko demonstrate choreography was a good idea, but the execution was poor IMO. Instead of having her repeat the same 3-4 turns in rapid succession with little ice coverage, it would have been more effective if they’d actually had her skate some full out choreographic pieces that she excels at. Would have loved a full speed Ina Bauer and spiral for example. Sure have her do a sequence of rockers, counters, brackets once. But I didn’t need to see it five times.

For the rest of the “science”….was not into it. Why were they playing with beach balls? Why were they also playing some other game catching smaller balls? What does that have to do with skating or science?

I also felt the entire thing had a low rent feel. They were clearly skimping of costumes in the group numbers. Everyone wore one of their own costumes in the opening number for example. And this makes it look like they wandered into the local skating club for a one off show for $5 a ticket. Why couldn’t they just have rented one of the beautiful sets of costumes from a previous year if there was no money for new costumes? An ice show needs some sparkle and not a single other costume that was made specifically for this show had any sparkle on it.

I am a huge Kurt fan and think he’s one of the greatest of all time. But a gifted choreographer he is not. I disliked the show in 2015 (the previous time he was in charge) and disliked it even more this time. It doesn’t make me excited to go back next year if he’s at the helm again.

I think the attempt at comedy would have been fine if it was a singular bit that only lasted a few minutes. It didn’t need to be something they tried to do for 2.5 hours. I also think that he could have pulled this off as a program. But not everyone is him, and they don’t all have his comedic timing or acting chops. But bottom line is that I don’t desire to see that much time being spent on things so hokey and cringy.

I will say the finale was very well done and I quite liked it. Perhaps because no one was wearing a lab coat.

And beyond all that, there were some really wonderful individual performances on the tour this year. And for that reason I’d still encourage people to go.

This is far and away the best Maddie Schizas has ever skated. I don’t know who did her programs (especially the Lion King) or what they did with her skating in the last month, but she looked like an entirely different skater than any other time I’ve seen her. I’ve long been a fan, but also very aware of her short comings. But this is the first time where I’ve seen her and thought she looked like an equal of others in the cast. Speed, nice open posture and great arms throughout. More of this please.

Loena is a really great addition to any tour. She had sparkle on the ice and her personality comes through. I find her music choices a bit random, but I really enjoy watching her. She was jumping well, so hopefully the injury at worlds wasn’t anything that will linger.

I also really enjoyed Elvis this year. The second program is super fun and he works the audience better than anyone else there. So impressive that the jumps are still solid after all these years.

I will miss Patrick and his beautiful skating. Seems so soon to be saying goodbye, but I get it and wish him well.

Ilia was very enjoyable. I think this is the most commitment to his choreography from him that I’ve seen and I really like his second program. Casually knocked off a couple quads during the course of the night :lol:.

Piper and Paul had two great programs. Agree with some tweets I saw that the I Wanna Dance With Somebody might have been a better Rhythm dance choice than what they did. I often find myself more drawn to their exhibitions than they competitive programs for whatever reason. They are great show skaters and I get the sense that Piper is the glue of the cast sometimes. She sold the comedy bits the best I thought.

Satoko was glorious to watch. To be honest I didn’t love her programs last year, but she knocked it out of the park this time. She even did a couple triples (one was < but who is counting ;)). Just pristine quality to her skating.

Deanna really does have a 90s quality to her skating that I love and feel is missing from today’s skaters. She presents herself beautifully at all times and I think she loves what she is doing. I thought their first program was lovely, a little less in love with the second, but it was still enjoyable. They were a nice addition to the cast.

Keegan’s backflip really is a gasp moment. Wonder what if feels like to fly 20 feet while flipping?

Thank you so much for this.
You have confirmed my worst fears, that the whole science theme would be lame and unfunny. And the little clips on twitter of each cast member saying who they are are as a scientist, linked above, made me wonder if he thinks the audience is pre-schoolers (Loena and Satoko arguing about the sum of 1=1? Please!).
I've never found Kurt funny - he works too hard at it. Except Ragadin the clown which was absolutely brilliant, but then that was choreographed by Sandra Bezic. Kurt's skating, when he's not trying to be funny, is brilliant and I've seen many show numbers by him over the years. Nyah with no jumps was amazing.
I'm doubly disappointed since this only the 2nd time ever that Mr Alilou is coming with me. I doubt his opinion will differ from mine. (eg we both found Barbie lame :D )

Good to know the individual numbers are worth it - which I would have expected anyway.

sp555

I don't disagree. I enjoyed all of the individual performances but the theme was hit and miss. There was one part in particular that went on far too long (euler vs half loop?). The bit with Ilia jumping would have been ok except he fell on the triple axel at the show I attended. He came back strong with a quad toe afterwards though! Keegan as the Crash Test Dummy I enjoyed.

The introductions of the skaters in the beginning was also poorly done.

skategal

Bunny mama
I found the script clever but I think alot of it just goes right over the heads of the fans and when much of the audience is thinking “WTF” it can be hard to be engaged with the theme.

I found the theme really “Huh?” at first but liked it more in the second half of the show.

Totally agree that Maddie was excellent. I really enjoyed her programs especially “The Lion King.”

Desperado

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I thought I probably shouldn’t post about the show because I would sound too negative, but I became more annoyed the more I saw the scientists schtick.

It would’ve been fine for 1 or 2 sketches, but I was particularly annoyed that it went on and on and permeated so much of Deanna & Maxime’s second program, including Maxime wearing the coat for most of it. Granted his sequins vest looked too big for him, but still.

Madeline was great as the Lead Scientist but were I more of a Keegan fan, I probably would’ve preferred to watch two complete programs than repeated crash test dummy performances.

Also, enough backflipping especially over people lying on the ice.

I thought Ilia was fantastic in both of his programs, but looked very uncomfortable in the group numbers.

I thought the single-double-triple-quad bit doesn’t work if you don’t end it with a quad axel. Deanna had to tell us that it was a quad lutz (because “triples and quads can look the same to our eyes” and certainly did to mine). Perhaps had he done a triple lutz first, it would’ve been easier to tell (spitballing).

Not sure how much pressure was put on Ilia to do this stunt, and can totally understand him not wanting to do a quad axel, but I would’ve just cut that bit out and no one would’ve really noticed.

The part with Ilia the crazed fan (played very well by Satoko) was also cringe.

We had Kaiya at the Ottawa show and she looked so happy to skate her program, it warmed my cold heart. Her dress was also very pretty on her.

Loena skated well (she is absolutely gorgeous) but someone must’ve told her she needed PG costumes for the show. 🤣

Which reminds me, what was the group winter outfits number about? And by winter outfits I mean transparent leggings showing people’s thongs (?) Puzzled.

Satoko showed quality skating through and through and it was lovely to see Patrick Chan one last time.

He was very honest about training being a challenged for him this year and it made me realize how amazing Kurt has been for performing at such a high level for so many years after retiring from competition.

And now for the real unpopular opinion, I hate the Worldvision speech. Not the place for this type of heartstring tugging/guilt triping.

skategal

Bunny mama
Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I thought I probably shouldn’t post about the show because I would sound too negative, but I became more annoyed the more I saw the scientists schtick.

It would’ve been fine for 1 or 2 sketches, but I was particularly annoyed that it went on and on and permeated so much of Deanna & Maxime’s second program, including Maxime wearing the coat for most of it. Granted his sequins vest looked too big for him, but still.

Madeline was great as the Lead Scientist but were I more of a Keegan fan, I probably would’ve preferred to watch two complete programs than repeated crash test dummy performances.

Also, enough backflipping especially over people lying on the ice.

I thought Ilia was fantastic in both of his programs, but looked very uncomfortable in the group numbers.

I thought the single-double-triple-quad bit doesn’t work if you don’t end it with a quad axel. Deanna had to tell us that it was a quad lutz (because “triples and quads can look the same to our eyes” and certainly did to mine). Perhaps had he done a triple lutz first, it would’ve been easier to tell (spitballing).

Not sure how much pressure was put on Ilia to do this stunt, and can totally understand him not wanting to do a quad axel, but I would’ve just cut that bit out and no one would’ve really noticed.

The part with Ilia the crazed fan (played very well by Satoko) was also cringe.

We had Kaiya at the Ottawa show and she looked so happy to skate her program, it warmed my cold heart. Her dress was also very pretty on her.

Loena skated well (she is absolutely gorgeous) but someone must’ve told her she needed PG costumes for the show. 🤣

Which reminds me, what was the group winter outfits number about? And by winter outfits I mean transparent leggings showing people’s thongs (?) Puzzled.

Satoko showed quality skating through and through and it was lovely to see Patrick Chan one last time.

He was very honest about training being a challenged for him this year and it made me realize how amazing Kurt has been for performing at such a high level for so many years after retiring from competition.

And now for the real unpopular opinion, I hate the Worldvision speech. Not the place for this type of heartstring tugging/guilt triping.
Did Piper do the World Vision piece? She did in Halifax and I thought she handled it well despite the awkwardness.

Ilia did a quad axel in Halifax (flipped out of it though) so they must be changing it as they go along based on how he feels.

Desperado

Did Piper do the World Vision piece? She did in Halifax and I thought she handled it well despite the awkwardness.
Yes, she did. She started talking about her life as a skater (coming from the states, staying with a family for 8 years…) and I wished there would’ve been more of that from more skaters during the show.

honey

@Desperado yeah I didn’t get what the winter outfits were supposed to be either. They can be best described as Mathieu Caron made a version of Scott Hamilton’s 84 Olympic free skate costume? I dunno, they were kind of cute in a way I suppose, but was pretty confused about them.

And yes, Piper is doing the world vision piece. I think she handles as well as one can, but it’s always an awkward moment. I’ve always wished this wasn’t part of the show, but assume they aren’t swimming in sponsors and if this one has stuck around then so be it.

skategal

Bunny mama
@Desperado yeah I didn’t get what the winter outfits were supposed to be either. They can be best described as Mathieu Caron made a version of Scott Hamilton’s 84 Olympic free skate costume? I dunno, they were kind of cute in a way I suppose, but was pretty confused about them.

And yes, Piper is doing the world vision piece. I think she handles as well as one can, but it’s always an awkward moment. I’ve always wished this wasn’t part of the show, but assume they aren’t swimming in sponsors and if this one has stuck around then so be it.
I loved the outfits for the closing group number and wished they had been used more in the show.

Skate Talker

Iirc, Patrick's original plan after his 2009 World silver medal was to win the 2010 Olympics and retire from skating. I feel like he struggled with motivation for much of his career. Given all that I think we have been very lucky to be able to see his remarkable skating for an additional 14 years.

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
I won't go into details but the group I was with in Ottawa all enjoyed the show. Some of the folks were skaters and some were "just fans". As someone who has been going to SOI/CSOI for many, many years, I saw the group "sketches" as a bit of a throwback to shows in the earlier years where there was some thread that tied things together.

My only negative comment pertains to the positioning of our "guest skater" Kaiya immediately before Maddie early in the first half. I just found that unfortunate. I even wondered if it might have contributed to Maddie not skating as confidently as she can and even having a fall in that number.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information