PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Dick Pound might not have as much influence in the IOC but Canada is still a big player within the IOC and regularly fields one of the biggest teams for each Winter Olympics.

Even more so when we join forces with our cousins the USA. :D
I hope we don’t turn into gutless wonders happy with our gold medal and to hell with everything else.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
That explains why he's willing to speak out.

Personally, I do think this decision was made to award two Bronze medals. But it's the ISU who set it up that way, not the IOC.
But how are they going to do that? Give one to Russia, and then turn around and say oops we got the math wrong so we'll give one to Canada too? I suppose that's a scenario.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
If you'll recall, the Canadians and Russians have some experience with sharing a medal. Pairs. 2002.
And this is a completely different circumstance. 2002 was a judge who revealed something and her vote was thrown out, leaving a 4-4 tie. Canada isn't going to want that and you can be sure as hell Russia won't either. And I'm quite sure the United States and Japan, whether they say it or not, wouldn't want Russia in any ceremony either.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
If you'll recall, the Canadians and Russians have some experience with sharing a medal. Pairs. 2002.
Of course I remember but it was an entirely different situation. IIRC, for a start, a judge admitted to cheating. Then it all blew up in the media. It was such a huge public circus - at the olympics! - that the IOC told the ISU to fix it with dual gold medals.
But how are they going to do that in the current scenario where the ISU has already awarded the bronze to Russia? How can they then award one to Canada without redoing the math?

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
Dick Pound may be one of the greatest names ever. 😄

Truly Canada's greatest "olympian."

My guess is that by wrongly awarding the bronze to ROC the IOC deliberately paved the way to awarding two team bronzes.

Oh, wow. :lol: :rofl: I love this. Everything old is new again. :ap1::L&A1::bk1::COP::skandal:sekret:

The IOC did NOT award the bronze to Russia. The ISU did that, and now the IOC is saying publicly that the ISU got it wrong.

Yes, but points for creativity, and the IOC possibly throwing the ISU a bone.

Honestly, it would kind of serve Canada right since they've been silent, gutless wonders for the past 2 years.

I mean... fair enough, but after years of being "whiners", I'd think some appreciated the caution for once. :p

Which would be my argument to the ISU - do they not realize the forever-victims they'd enshrining with this? My gosh, the ISU is re-activating Canadians with this direct attack! ;)

Dobre

Honestly, it would kind of serve Canada right since they've been silent, gutless wonders for the past 2 years.
No, it would not. There is no required conduct for the people being cheated. The athlete found guilty is Valieva. The federation that probably drugged her (be it the medical staff, the politicians paying the medical staff, or coaching staff that looked the other way) and at the very least tried to argue that young athletes don't have to stay clean is the party who's conduct should be in question/under investigation.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
No, it would not. There is no required conduct for the people being cheated. The athlete found guilty is Valieva. The federation that probably drugged her (be it the medical staff, the politicians paying the medical staff, or coaching staff that looked the other way) and at the very least tried to argue that young athletes don't have to stay clean is the party who's conduct should be in question/under investigation.
Hey, I don't disagree and I don't want Russia getting that bronze medal more than most of the folks here. Having said that, the COC and Skate Canada did precious little to speak up in support of clean sport during the past two years and it's fairly obvious they put a muffle on their Beijing TE skaters. It was pretty lily-livered of them to sit quietly by while the USFS, USOPC and USADA fought the good fight.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
But how are they going to do that in the current scenario where the ISU has already awarded the bronze to Russia? How can they then award one to Canada without redoing the math?
"The rules are unclear and if we interpret them one way, ROC gets the medal but if we interpret them another way, CAN gets the medal. So since we don't know which way is the correct way, they both get Bronze!"

I think people are underestimating how weaselly the ISU can be.

nlloyd

Hey, I don't disagree and I don't want Russia getting that bronze medal more than most of the folks here. Having said that, the COC and Skate Canada did precious little to speak up in support of clean sport during the past two years and it's fairly obvious they put a muffle on their Beijing TE skaters. It was pretty lily-livered of them to sit quietly by while the USFS, USOPC and USADA fought the good fight.
But we do have Meagan Duhamel. That must count for something! ;)

pat c

Of course I remember but it was an entirely different situation. IIRC, for a start, a judge admitted to cheating. Then it all blew up in the media. It was such a huge public circus - at the olympics! - that the IOC told the ISU to fix it with dual gold medals.

They can't and they won't. Russia played it's cards very well, dragging this out for all it was worth. Every national olympic committee probably did as much as they could with an infuriating lack of response by Russia. The cards are in Russia's favour and what's the penalty? Not competing in the Olys? So what, they're already talking about creating it's own games with other countries.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
In my eyes, there’s a big difference between athletes with empty boxes talking about how they haven’t received a medal or ceremony, knowing they’d get one of two, and athletes who weren’t given empty boxes at all claiming they should have one. Similarly for the federations and NOC’s for those different sets of athletes.

coppertop1

And this is a completely different circumstance. 2002 was a judge who revealed something and her vote was thrown out, leaving a 4-4 tie. Canada isn't going to want that and you can be sure as hell Russia won't either. And I'm quite sure the United States and Japan, whether they say it or not, wouldn't want Russia in any ceremony either
They're not even allowed to compete as Russia and in Paris, they're supposed to be "Neutral athletes". The ISU really didn't the this through. They just made an even bigger mess.

Russia is the definition of "Give them an inch, they'll take a mile"

In my eyes, there’s a big difference between athletes with empty boxes talking about how they haven’t received a medal or ceremony, knowing they’d get one of two, and athletes who weren’t given empty boxes at all claiming they should have one. Similarly for the federations and NOC’s for those different sets of athletes.
This. I think Canada was in a rock and a hard place. Now, we have grounds to appeal because the ISU apparently failed grade two math

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
In what way?
I think @caseyedwards meant that North Korean athletes are very much allowed to participate in all sorts of international sports championships like Worlds or the Olympics. And I still remember North Korean figure skaters at some Olympics and there remains the infamous North Korean football team (and their fans) at the 2010 World Cup, so there's that.

caseyedwards

I think @caseyedwards meant that North Korean athletes are very much allowed to participate in all sorts of international sports championships like Worlds or the Olympics. And I still remember North Korean figure skaters at some Olympics and there remains the infamous North Korean football team (and their fans) at the 2010 World Cup, so there's that.
Yea of course. With All North Korea has done to Japan and South Korea and with nuclear and to its own people never ever did ioc ever take a position on anything North Korea did.

skatingguy

decently
North Korea isn't banned by the IOC, or the ISU, from competing internationally, but to say that anyone from North Korea is free to due anything is so ignorant that I was looking for a more specific answer to what @caseyedwards meant. I'm not sure if any North Koreans currently competing in international sports, but they had been pulled from all events during the pandemic, and no North Korean athletes participated in the 2022 Winter Olympics.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
I'm not sure if any North Koreans currently competing in international sports, but they had been pulled from all events during the pandemic, and no North Korean athletes participated in the 2022 Winter Olympics.
North Korean divers are competing at the world championships and have earned quota places for the Olympics in women’s 10m individual and synchro. They are also sending athletes to gymnastics world cups as part of the Olympic qualifying.

lexeoe

So the ISU did a Steve Harvey but unlike Steve is staying silent and not standing up for their error.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information