2023 Canadian Stars on Ice Tour

honey

Steve Milton article from the Hamilton Spectator on Kurt’s final SOI.

https://www.thespec.com/sports/hami...-to-see-kurt-browning-in-stars-on-ice.html?rf

Mild spoilers for specific programs in the show for anyone who might care in the article and below

I admit, when I saw Kurt and Elvis post on Instagram the other day about doing a duet my head went immediately to 1993 worlds :lol:. I’m hoping for a great dose of nostalgia with this show and a worthy farewell to Kurt who has been the backbone of it in Canada for so long.

paskatefan

I can. We started attending the US SOI tour in 1993 (when we first heard of it). The fact that Paul Wylie & Brian Orser were in it sealed the deal for us. Then I believe Kurt joined the tour in 1994. One of our rules of thumb is this - If Kurt is in a show, get tickets!

puglover

Oh Kurt - such a true skating treasure. This is the first time I have heard him publicly acknowledge his relationship/marriage to Alissa Czisny. He will be missed. I have especially appreciated his respect for the fans/appreciation for the audience which is something some entertainers seem to forget.

Habs

A bitch from Canada
Oh Kurt - such a true skating treasure. This is the first time I have heard him publicly acknowledge his relationship/marriage to Alissa Czisny. He will be missed. I have especially appreciated his respect for the fans/appreciation for the audience which is something some entertainers seem to forget.
He posted some lovely wedding photos on social media last summer :)

dogbert

Yes, he is a treasure and will be missed. He has been through a lot - I hope he will be OK.

Sylvia

TBD
CSOI rehearsals begin tomorrow in Halifax.

Satoko Miyahara spent the past 2 weeks working with Sandra Bezic and David Wilson on a new EX for SOI ("This program will be another new world for me… it has numerous THIS and THAT movements 🤭"): https://www.instagram.com/p/CrYYMdruuql/

Her new show programs on the Stars on Ice Japan tour were "Ne me quitte pas" by Jacques Brel, choreographed by Shae-Lynn Bourne in LA, and "Jenny of Oldstones" (from Game of Thrones) by Florence + the Machine, choreographed by Stéphane Lambiel in Champéry.

Kurt Browning posted this video today ("Getting clothing nostalgic on my last Stars on Ice tour…some of these count as vintage now!"): https://www.instagram.com/reel/CrZWTL-M-GY/

puglover

Does anyone know how the ticket sales are going? They seem to sure be advertising it heavy.

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
Does anyone know how the ticket sales are going? They seem to sure be advertising it heavy.
I suspect it varies from city to city - you could check via the Ticketmaster links on the Canadian SOI page.

Looking at Ottawa, for example, there appear to be few tickets left in the lower bowl. There are more available in the 200 level but they are still not too plentiful. I think there will be good crowd on Sunday :)

puglover

Pitiful in Winnipeg once again. :( I continue to be shocked the organizers still include a stop here.
I went last year and treated my DIL and granddaughter here in Wpg. The show was amazing but our very expensive seats were terrible. Prior years I went to Calgary and had a much better experience.

shutterbug

I went last year and treated my DIL and granddaughter here in Wpg. The show was amazing but our very expensive seats were terrible. Prior years I went to Calgary and had a much better experience.
Oh no, what a shame! :( Do you remember which section you were in? Overall, our seats for SOI have been excellent, except for the years we sat in the temporary seating behind the on ice seats. We now go for rows 3 or 4 which are permanent.

Colonel Green

Sylvia

TBD
2 more Kurt Browning articles today...

Ottawa Citzen by Lynn Saxberg:
At 56, Browning says it’s become more difficult to maintain a consistent performance, and harder to recover from injuries.
A snow-shovelling attempt earlier this year serves as an example. Browning set out to clear the snow after the last snowstorm that hit Toronto and somehow strained his left elbow. Only then did he discover it’s a body part that plays a key role in getting his jumps off the ground.
“I can’t seem to pull into my jumps without it,” Browning said. “I’ve been recovering from that injury and it should be okay, but it’s going to be making my job a little harder. When you’re 25, you can bounce back from stuff like that. When you’re 56, it’s a little harder.”

Toronto Sun by Steve Simmons:
Excerpt from the end:
The last skate is still six weeks away. Browning will be there along with his wife and he’s ready, prepared mentally, for the end to come. He’s not super emotional about it just more realistic that the time is now.
“I think I’ll be very calm,” said Browning. “I don’t have to be perfect but I have to be perfect emotionally. I want to do this with integrity. I’ve busted my ass to stay in shape. I’ve earned this feeling
“My dad once said to me, if you do as an adult for a living what you did for fun as a kid — and I think Wayne Gretzky would agree — that’s a gift. But to not only make a living but a good living doing this, it’s lasted years and years longer than I would have believed. The workload was insane at times but it was all worth it.”
ETA:
Legendary figure skater Kurt Browning to begin his Stars on Ice farewell tour in Halifax (The Chronicle Herald, April 24, 2023)
Working link: https://www.saltwire.com/atlantic-c...rs-on-ice-farewell-tour-in-halifax-100846415/
He has a couple of special programs for his farewell tour that he hopes will resonate with his fans. He also wants to soak up the atmosphere of the crowd while on the ice.
"It's going to be an adventure, like a long hug with somebody you care about," said Browning. "One of my solos is built with holes in with space for me to look up, especially near the end where the bow is built into the music, so I can stand on the ice and look up. To feel it so it doesn't go by like a train going by too fast and you can't see it.
"The other solo is one I choreographed myself with little moments from other Stars on Ice programs in the past. Almost the whole program is like Lego blocks. If you are a real fan, you can see a section of Brickhouse, see a bit of the Clown and a bit of Singing in the Rain jammed together to 'Who Are You' by the Who.[/quote]

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Jason's skater cam is back for the Canadian tour! https://twitter.com/starsonice/status/1651225267455635456
Also on IG: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CrgHHwdMq0y/

3 pics from Day 2 of Rehearsal: https://www.instagram.com/p/CrexEBDJg4u/

Rapid fire Q&A with Jason on SOI's new TikTok account: https://www.tiktok.com/@starsonice_official/video/7226093063645580587?_r=1&_t=8bnaFEmZkEg

ETA:

This Week in Skating's podcast episode with Kurt Browning was just published today:

Last edited:

Allskate

I wish I could attend one of these shows. I hope someone is able to record Kurt's programs, especially the Who program. He is a skater whose post-competitive career I enjoyed just as much or even more than his competitive career. One of my all-time favorites.

Sylvia

TBD
I wish I could attend one of these shows. I hope someone is able to record Kurt's programs
I've posted many fan cam videos in these SOI tour threads over the years and will look for them again this year.
If anyone going to the Halifax show could post a pic of the merch booth, I'd be vv grateful.
Jason & Loena show off the sweatshirts in this Halifax rehearsal video (Jason's skater cam & narration):

Last edited:

Colonel Green

General thoughts:

• in general these shows don't really have a theme, etc., but here the "goodbye, Kurt!" sentiment suffuses pretty much the whole thing, between his solos, the buddy routine with Elvis, multiple video clip shows, and all but one of the group numbers relating to it in some way.
  • Alexa & Brandon definitely got the memo that the pair team at these kinds of shows is supposed to bring the big tech, they did multiple triple twists and triple throws, among other things.
  • Madeline's "Everybody Want to Be a Cat" is the best show program I've seen from her so far. She also does a Glee program, because of course she grew up watching that.
  • Among the guys, Jason's Backstreet Boys program and Keegan's reprise of "Grace Kelly" are the standouts.
  • Loena was one of the people I was most interested in seeing, but I was a bit underwhelmed by the program choices. The "Circus" one that she's been doing all year is okayish, but the other is really dull and I don't think plays to her strengths at all (beyond emphasizing that she's beautiful). She attempted a triple Lutz in both programs here, which is pretty heavy for show skating (neither went off cleanly), made me wonder if it's a strategy for drilling that element in the off-season.
  • Piper took over for Kaitlyn in doing the midshow pitch for humanitarian causes.
  • I said this last year, but the contrast with Kurt's retirement announcement further highlighted that I think Elvis' time with the tour should probably be drawing to a close as well. He's doing less and less in terms of technical content and without that, at this point there's not much there anymore (which is all the more obvious when watching Kurt in comparison; he could easily keep doing this and just not jump if he really wanted to). But the crowds still cheer for him bigtime, so what do I know?

fruchick

General thoughts:
  • I said this last year, but the contrast with Kurt's retirement announcement further highlighted that I think Elvis' time with the tour should probably be drawing to a close as well. He's doing less and less in terms of technical content and without that, at this point there's not much there anymore (which is all the more obvious when watching Kurt in comparison; he could easily keep doing this and just not jump if he really wanted to). But the crowds still cheer for him bigtime, so what do I know?

CSOI needs Elvis back purely for marketing. When Kurt initially decided to step away, audiences had Tessa and Scott to be excited about the next year, but there's nobody to bring in the casual fans right now. Half that audience doesn't know every name in the cast. Hardcore skating fans will always go, but they rely on the contingent of people who just buy tickets to see the guy they had a crush on in middle school. (No shade to casual fans -- I am one.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information