2021-22 ISU Grand Prix assignments announced

RoseRed

Traditionally, it has required a Challenger win. (Though the "rules" are often ignored anyway and other athletes have gotten in with decent CS results, but a win will get you on the list).
But officially even CS winners only go to the bottom of the list.

Skaters/Couples, who place first in any of the ISU Challenger Series events for 2021/22 and can prove to have skated the minimum Technical score as mentioned in paragraph 2.3, will be added to the alternate list, bottom ranked according to their scores.

mackiecat

Can someone help with the time situation for Torino next weekend? The US will be on daylight time until 2 a.m. on Sunday the 7th. Does Europe switch this weekend? If so, that will be a 4 hour difference for the competition, correct?
Europe fell back this weekend.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Galyavieva/Thauron out of both IdF and Rostelecom Cup.

IdF need to replace also Zagorski/Guerreiro.

Predictions?
Muller/Dieck for Rostelecom. (Edit: I forgot Nazarova/Nikitin)
Demougeot/Le Mercier instead of G/T at IdF
Those seem like reasonable predictions for both RC and the host IdF spot. What's the status of Wagret/Souquet-Basiege? They're higher on the alternate list than Demougeot/Le Mercier.

Lots of Russian teams near the top of the alternate list - Best guess maybe Kazakova/Reviya or Skoptcova/Aleshin?

DANCE
Reed/Ambrulevicius 180 LTU IdF
Nazarova/Nikitin 179 UKR NHK
Shevchenko/Eremenko RUS (status?) 178
Kazakova/Reviya 176 GEO RC
Shanaeva/Naryzhnyy 175 RUS SCI
JVR/Steffan 171.87 GER IdF
Wagret/Souquet-Basiege FRA 171.31
Muller/Dieck 169.59 GER GPI
Skoptcova/Aleshin 169.24 RUS RC
Ushakova/Nekrasov 169.18 RUS (status?)
--------
Orihara/Pirinen FIN 166
Davis/Smolkin 165 RUS SCI
Sales/Wamsteeker 164 CAN SCI
Taschlerova/Taschler 163.62 CZE
Min/Eaton 163.42 KOR (status?)
Chen/Sun 162.91 CHN GPI
Demougeot/Le Mercier 162.70 FRA
Harris/Chan 161 AUS

Last edited:

Karen-W

Demougeot/Le Mercier confirmed for IdF

Meite withdrew
My guess, they will replace her with Julie Froetscher or Sophia Maarouf. Froetscher outscored Maarouf 142.54 to 114.22 at Trophee Metropole Nice a couple weeks ago. Maarouf is scheduled to compete at NRW this weekend so we'll see if she can improve that score. Of course, they both might wind up at IdF if Mazzara withdraws as well - she w/d after the SP at Denis Ten Memorial last weekend "for medical reasons" per the event announcer at the start of the FS.

Also, it looks like Japan is being allowed to not replace Mikutina? I wonder if the travel restrictions into Japan make it too difficult to process the necessary paperwork in time to add another skater. That will be a shame, especially if the same happens in Pairs.

angi

Quoting this from the Japanese skating news thread.
Here's hoping he recovers soon!
I honestly fully expected this to happen, I will be shocked if he'll do Cup Of Russia at this point. I think he and his team might be trying to play the same game they did during 2017/81 and keep everyone guessing about his condition (so I'd say even Japanese nationals is a question mark at this point).

euterpe

So now there will be only 10 men, 11 women, and 7 pairs at NHK. No withdrawals (yet) from dance.....

Karen-W

I assume Japan will wait until after this weekend's Western Sectionals to decide on a replacement for Yuzuru.

This is a real opportunity for skaters like Cha, Rizzo, Aliev, and Kolyada to qualify for the GPF over the next four events. A silver this weekend will position them well to qualify even with as low as a bronze at their next event. I'm thinking we probably all need more wine for the rest of the Men's events during the GP, lol.

Karen-W

So now there will be only 10 men, 11 women, and 7 pairs at NHK. No withdrawals (yet) from dance.....
Can't imagine that Japan won't replace Yuzuru with another Japanese man but we probably won't know who they select until after their Western Sectionals which are being held this weekend.

meggonzo

Banned Member
Shouldn't some of the entries be replaced since the withdrawals were 14 days prior to the start of the event ?

Karen-W

Shouldn't some of the entries be replaced since the withdrawals were 14 days prior to the start of the event ?
Samsonov, Mikutina and Ziegler/Kiefer should have been replaced but it doesn't look like there will be replacements - my theory is that travel restrictions to Japan right now are such that it might be difficult for replacements to secure the necessary visas, etc.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member

Karen-W

Yamamoto got that spot. I suppose JSF will assign a replacement for Rika too.

A bit surprising, since Yamamoto didn't exactly have a stellar SkAm, but the Japanese men's field doesn't seem too deep past the guys who got GP assignments already.

And, yes, I'm sure they'll assign a replacement for Rika.

Should we be concerned that she might end up off the Olympic Team? If so, then things are looking up for both Wakaba Higuchi and Rino Matsuike! But awful for Rika, who was supposed to build her path to the Olympic podium over the last three years. How disappointing for her. Heal quick, Rika.

Yes, I think we should be concerned about her chances of making the Olympic team. Japan has too many talented women for her to be named to the team if she is still injured by the time Japanese Nationals rolls around, though I suppose it is possible she could petition her way onto the team conditionally - maybe require her to skate at 4CCs?

Her withdrawal certainly opens up the NHK field somewhat and makes Usacheva's path to qualifying for the GPF easier, especially if Trusova withdraws also. Anyone have a status update on Trusova's stress fracture?

love_skate2011

Banned Member
Her withdrawal certainly opens up the NHK field somewhat and makes Usacheva's path to qualifying for the GPF easier, especially if Trusova withdraws also. Anyone have a status update on Trusova's stress fracture?
Trusova is back in the ice after a weeks rest, will know from official statement soon. No withdrawal for now.
I dont think its stress fracture more like a sprain ankle or ligament like the injury with Plushenko where she could only do quad lutz.

well see soon...

love_skate2011

Banned Member
Today is the big day if the wicked stepsister can make her statement. Anna better watch her back, she will need all the points she can get to hold off the darkhorse Kromykh.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
Today is the big day if the wicked stepsister can make her statement. Anna better watch her back, she will need all the points she can get to hold off the darkhorse Kromykh.
Let's hope everyone is Cinderella today, shall we?

ETA: ... AT THE BALL.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information