#TeamTrainwreck 14: "I Don't Care. #StillHere"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amy L

[QUOTE="SamuraiK, post: 5483314, member: 22989]Boitano throwing a flashback I don't recognize half of these people :slinkaway[/QUOTE]

Most of those people in that photo are World and/or Olympic champions. :p Pro skating was on fire in the 90s, it was on TV quite a lot during the season, way more than amateur competitions. Now we could caption it Marina Zueva pre-ice dance sellout with her son/Meryl Davis's fiance, Anthony Ponomarenko's future parents, and a bunch of middle-aged people who used to be on TV.

God, Celebraton of a Life, I remember watching that show on TV and just bawling my eyes out. 15 year old me = :wuzrobbed. No one could ever sell a skating show on a deceased foreigner nowadays, a lot has changed. ((((Sergei))).

Last edited:

rfisher

Let the skating begin
[QUOTE="SamuraiK, post: 5483314, member: 22989]Boitano throwing a flashback I don't recognize half of these people :slinkaway

God, Celebraton of a Life, I remember watching that show on TV and just bawling my eyes out. 15 year old me = :wuzrobbed. No one could ever sell a skating show on a deceased foreigner nowadays, a lot has changed. ((((Sergei))).[/QUOTE]
I still have chills of Katia skating their last program alone. Especially her spiral sequence. I'm not the least bit mystical, but I swear you could feel him skating with her. How she did that without being a blubbering mess, I'll never know.

S

SmallFairy

Yes, that pic is in Katia's book, it has all the oldie goldies. Front row from left: Hamilton, Dariya, Boitano, Petrenko, Wylie. Others (can't name them all lol): Zueva, Klimova/Ponomarenko, Fedor Andreev, Baiul, Yamaguchi, Fadeev, Browning, Sumners etc.

I loved Katia and Sergei. Sigh... I was so happy she found Ilia later!

SamuraiK

[QUOTE="SamuraiK, post: 5483314, member: 22989]Boitano throwing a flashback I don't recognize half of these people :slinkaway

Most of those people in that photo are World and/or Olympic champions. :p Pro skating was on fire in the 90s, it was on TV quite a lot during the season, way more than amateur competitions. Now we could caption it Marina Zueva pre-ice dance sellout with her son/Meryl Davis's fiance, Anthony Ponomarenko's future parents, and a bunch of middle-aged people who used to be on TV.

God, Celebraton of a Life, I remember watching that show on TV and just bawling my eyes out. 15 year old me = :wuzrobbed. No one could ever sell a skating show on a deceased foreigner nowadays, a lot has changed. ((((Sergei))).

I know that, but without their iconic costumes and all blended in white is bleh.. I could not care less for "pro"/show skating so Im glad I wasn't watching skating closely in the 90s. I would have been oversaturated by all that cheesiness and never came back :p

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
I know that, but without their iconic costumes and all blended in white is bleh.. I could not care less for "pro"/show skating so Im glad I wasn't watching skating closely in the 90s. I would have been oversaturated by all that cheesiness and never came back :p

I grew up obsessively watching mid-to-late 90s cheesy pro skating and turned out just fine! :shuffle::scream:

Last edited:

SamuraiK

So, just watched the juniors at GPF. just a few random late comments:

Men:
Gummenik is so skinny and flexible my back hurts watching him. Wish Gogolev's programs were skated by a senior skater who could actually sell that choreo . Camden is too good already for junior crap but he won't get anywhere in the senior ranks with those bad nerves. Shimada is promising.

Dance:
S&E are so full of passion! love it. Too bad they are aging out though cause they are not ready to overtake the top teams and will probably suffer the same fate as Skoptcova/Aleshin. U&N FS is so fun and refreshind but K&N are my second faves kinda underated. Lajoie and Laja felt the pressure too bad. oh and Reviya is hot hot hot.

Pairs:
Kostiukovich & Ialin are everything!! Should stay another year in juniors though. Mishina and Galiamov are senior ready. I liked Meagan Duhamel's comments. Sopot is doomed.

Ladies:
Kostornaya please hang on a few years and become 2022 oly champion but im afraid that by then we will be talking about some unknown phenomenon. That SP is a masterpiece. Trusova has guts but not much else. Tarakanova has regressed. The future of KOR is bright with Yelim and Kanysheva should always remember this small victory.

Last edited:

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Sadly, I agree about Kostornaia. She and Kihira are going to hit the Olympics at just the wrong time regarding their growth into adult bodies. It's all about timing. There is a 12 year old somewhere just waiting for their chance. Kihira's edge is that as of now, there aren't any Japanese juniors ready to push her out. That gives her some time for the "bad years" that the Russians don't have. Read Radionova, Pogo, Sotskova, Turskaya, etc., etc., Med, Zag and Sotnikova all hit at the right time. I predict an unknown Russian or Korean will be the next Olympic champion. Much as I'd wish it to be Kostornaia. Or Gubanova. :)

SamuraiK

Sadly, I agree about Kostornaia. She and Kihira are going to hit the Olympics at just the wrong time regarding their growth into adult bodies. It's all about timing. There is a 12 year old somewhere just waiting for their chance. Kihira's edge is that as of now, there aren't any Japanese juniors ready to push her out. That gives her some time for the "bad years" that the Russians don't have. Read Radionova, Pogo, Sotskova, Turskaya, etc., etc., Med, Zag and Sotnikova all hit at the right time. I predict an unknown Russian or Korean will be the next Olympic champion. Much as I'd wish it to be Kostornaia. Or Gubanova. :)

I would claim Medvedeva belongs to the first group. Im sure she will trade her three undefeated seasons in a second in change of the olympic gold.

J

Jeschke

. Read Radionova, Pogo, Sotskova, Turskaya, etc., etc., Med, Zag and Sotnikova all hit at the right time.

Radio (3) and Pogo (4) won euros and worlds medals, they do not not belong in the same group as Sotskova not even to speak of Tsurskaya, who is down in a group below Polina#1 and #2 next to the Crapova sisters (speaking of success) 👆🏼

Edit: Don't even start @Vagabond , I know you want to tell us where Radio does not belong either :D

SamuraiK

Radio (3) and Pogo (4) won euros and worlds medals, they do not not belong in the same group as Sotskova not even to speak of Tsurskaya, who is down in a group below Polina#1 and #2 next to the Crapova sisters (speaking of success) 👆🏼

Edit: Don't even start @Vagabond , I know you want to tell us where Radio does not belong either :D

Tsurskaya has the JGPF title so I think that pus her above (slightly but still above) the same tragic fate team as the others Polinas who are only remembered by folks in this thread :D

J

Jeschke

Tsurskaya has the JGPF title so I think that pus her above (slightly but still above) the same tragic fate team as the others Polinas who are only remembered by folks in this thread :D
Agafonova won silver at junior worlds! That is worth more than the JGPF title.
(I can't believe I am defending Agafonova :rofl:)
Shelepen 2x silver at JGPF, no medal at junior worlds (though placed 3 times higher than Tsurskaya), but I give you that one :drama:

SamuraiK

Agafonova won silver at junior worlds! That is worth more than the JGPF title.
(I can't believe I am defending Agafonova :rofl:)
Shelepen 2x silver at JGPF, no medal at junior worlds (though placed 3 times higher than Tsurskaya), but I give you that one :drama:

It was only bronze for Agafonova (I will put a JGPF gold above that) and she couldn't even make senior team during the pre Tuk-Sot years.

Ka3sha

Read Radionova, Pogo, Sotskova, Turskaya, etc., etc., Med, Zag and Sotnikova all hit at the right time. I predict an unknown Russian or Korean will be the next Olympic champion. Much as I'd wish it to be Kostornaia. Or Gubanova. :)
I don’t think that Medvedeva belong to that group. She had been on the top for three years and given current situation in Ladies skating it’s pretty far from “hitting at the right time”.

rfisher

Let the skating begin

I was referring to the Olympics only, not all their worlds medals etc. :lol: The Olympics is the ultimate goal for most skaters. The others are nice, but the OGM is the biggest prize. Otherwise, Med would have been just thrilled with her OSM. And Savchenko with her two bronze. And Slutskaya wouldn't have dropped her bronze in the trash.

J

Jeschke

#TeamTrainwreck 15: Der Hölle Rache. :blocjudge:gallopin1
#lostintranlsation

What did you mean pressman?
'Revenge of hell?'

If so, it's perfect german using genitive instead of dative.
(most of the germans do not use it correctly, that's why i am/was confused :D )

#threadtitlealert

J

Jeschke

Just admit that if you liked Popova/Mozgov , they would have been on the team already :D
Admitted :biggrinbo

Embarassing revelation of the day: there is that one IG photo if Mozgov, where looks damn hot. But yeah, then you click to the next pictures and realize it's Mozgov still :p
https://www.instagram.com/p/BaydxCil19P/

Betina's IG is a pure homage why @shah adores her:
Devil-Betina
https://www.instagram.com/p/BqueClshKEn/
Getting farted-at-Betina
https://www.instagram.com/p/BqJ_Z-IhNUt/
Going-Tuk-Betina
https://www.instagram.com/p/BpTfQ3LAGBd/
Thong-Diving-Betina
https://www.instagram.com/p/BjF2YcZDXLm/
Whatever-else-we-practiced-Betina
https://www.instagram.com/p/BWSVbogjXRu/

mjb52

#lostintranlsation

'Revenge of hell?'

#threadtitlealert

I think it's a reference to the Queen of the Night aria in The Magic Flute (Mozart) where she is raging in anger and this is one of her lines (this is from memory, I'm too lazy to look it up)

eusebius

#lostintranlsation

'Revenge of hell?'

#threadtitlealert

I think it's a reference to the Queen of the Night aria in The Magic Flute (Mozart) where she is raging in anger and this is one of her lines (this is from memory, I'm too lazy to look it up)
Yes it is! Liza skating to this aria would make my year :inavoid:

Vagabond

#lostintranlsation

'Revenge of hell?'

Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen
The vengeance of Hell boils in my heart. :drama:

#threadtitlealert
:watch:

ETA: This would be a perfect piece for someone left off of the Russian Ladies World Team.

Yes it is! Liza skating to this aria would make my year :inavoid:

Eys. Queen Tuk of the Night. :glamor:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information