2018-19 Programs and Choreographers

Willin

La La Land is a war horse already? Did any top dance teams even skate to it last season?

It's not like they're doing the millionth Coldplay FD.
La la land is not warhorse, yet.
Well, maybe not in singles or dance, but three teams used it (similar cuts of it, I might add) for the FS at synchro worlds, all of whom wore similarly styled dresses. I think one team used it for the SP as well? Or maybe I'm remembering wrong... I know it was also used a lot at US Synchro nationals this year. So I'm sick of it. But for fans who don't follow synchro it's probably more novel.

La La La land OST isn’t impactful in the arena. Just blah... I don’t know why anyone thinks it’s war horse.
I think this has more to do with the singing than anything else. The background track is interesting, but Emma Stone/Ryan Gosling's singing voices are not great, and Emma's in particular does not work on arena speakers. Maybe the quietness of her voice and the lack of over-enunciation?

lauravvv

La la land is not warhorse, yet.
You are right, of course. I should have used another word/term. Popular choices, maybe? It's just that, even if G/F and Fuzar-Poli choose something that is not a warhorse yet, it's still either something that some skater(s) has had great success with before, or something that has been popular for some time already (both as a choice for a figure skating program, and outside of skating), instead of a freshly popular song or soundtrack (like P/C's choice of Ed Sheeran songs for their SD which was new at least in figure skating). It's like they just copy someone else in terms of music choices all the time, instead of looking for something for themselves.

La La Land is a war horse already? Did any top dance teams even skate to it last season?
See my response to chapis above.
It's not like they're doing the millionth Coldplay FD.
Perhaps you meant Muse? In comparison, Coldplay is not nearly as used. Shibutanis did two FDs to Coldplay, but apart from that I only remember Peter Liebers's program to Coldplay's 'Clocks' which he skated at least for two seasons. I certainly don't remember any Coldplay FDs by senior level teams.Can you remind me if there were such programs?

Sorry Guignard/Fabbri but I don't think that you own this music.... other dance couples are free to use it too!
I am not sure if I understood your post correctly. But you are right that no skater can own some piece of music in the literal sense of the word. And I did not mean it that way. I meant something that they would choose because they truly connected to this music, not because it's well known/popular and/or has been successful in skating before, something that, when they skated to it, people could see it was really "them" and that they would do so well that the music would become associated mainly with them afterwards.

Now, even if Charlene and Marco have chosen music that they truly connect to, we can't know, because all of their choices are either war horses or so popular and well known that it creates an impression that they are chosen mainly for that reason.

analia

Guignard/Fabbri certainly paints all the warhorses a strangely unpleasant color. I don't even understand this team, like at all.

RoseRed

@lauravvv There ahve been more Coldplay programs than just the Shibs and Peter. Adam's FS the past two seasons has O', Camden Pulkinen did a Fix You SP this season, Kevin Aymoz used O' in his FS this season, Ziegler/Kiefer had a Yellow and Fix You mix for this FS, the junior team Fear/Waddell did a Coldplay medley FD. And there were several other less well known singles skaters who used it this season. Coldplay is definitely a popular choice in skating.

Dobre

It was the juniors who embraced La La Land with a passion last season. There were 23 La La Land programs between the junior/senior ranks.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...kfQJnBGUMg1LcFEUaim8QSizBQ/edit#gid=179095169

I saw three different FDs to La La Land last season, none of them were senior dance teams. (The senior dancers likely avoided it because Chock & Bates had announced early that they were going to use it). I'm sure Guignard & Fabbri will do a good job with the music because they always do a good job these days. And it is better than Exogenesis in my book; but I can't say that La La Land exerts the tour de force of personality and character that I think G&F are capable of. Maybe they will surprise us.

lauravvv

@lauravvv There ahve been more Coldplay programs than just the Shibs and Peter. Adam's FS the past two seasons has O', Camden Pulkinen did a Fix You SP this season, Kevin Aymoz used O' in his FS this season, Ziegler/Kiefer had a Yellow and Fix You mix for this FS, the junior team Fear/Waddell did a Coldplay medley FD. And there were several other less well known singles skaters who used it this season. Coldplay is definitely a popular choice in skating.
Yes, of course, Adam. I don't even know how I could forget his FS now, I have seen it so many times, and I actually like it a lot. Ziegler/Kiefer too. But there definitely haven't been a "million" FDs to Coldplay, like casken wrote.

StasiyaGalustyanLove

Banned Member
Say, has anyone other than Anastasia Galustyan ever skated to the wonderfull music from the movie Mouse Hunt? That was one of her greatest programs, I hope other's take influence and try to use it.

My wife and I both believe the movie Lala Land is morally inept and it's music is a big stinky bomb, no thank you!

Sk8swan

Just FYI, @Sylvia and I will be posting a new 2018-19 program music spreadsheet sometime in the next 2 weeks. We will do our best to add all known program music/choreographer info to the spreadsheet, as we did last year. Please keep posting updates to this thread, and we will include them!

Della Monica/Guarise have invited fans to suggest music for their programs next year: https://www.facebook.com/Nicoledmma...1827.723599191086101/1533049063474439/?type=3

They had done that last year too... and I can tell you they eventually picked music from those suggestions ;)

Japanfan

I can't find the source, but Fentz is keeping his Game of Thrones FS as he would like to perform it in the US where it got so popular.

I don't know who Fentz is, but I've long wished that someone would skate to Game of Thrones - presumably the title music?

RoseRed

That's odd to say the least... I wonder if there was some miscommunication about when this would be announced? It wouldn't explain her deleting her instagram account, but who knows...
I thought that, but she quoted the Two for the Ice tweet about his instagram post and said "Thank You! We are excited!". And that's still up. Were they getting negative comments on the post because they hadn't already announced the splits maybe??

aftershocks

Banned Member
Strange, as I had been checking out Jessica's Instagram a little while ago. Perhaps she was receiving too many visitors to her account, and an official announcement is still in the works.

jmtfti

Brian Johnson did delete the announcement post, but Jessica Calalang still has an active, public Instagram account.

Sylvia

TBD

cmk

I know I'm in the minority but I really liked both the movie and the soundtrack, so I was disappointed last year when it ended up being only a program for ladies, with the exception of Astakhova/Rogonov and Firus. I was looking forward when Chock/Bates announced early last year they would use it, to see what a top level ice dance team would do with it. Now it seems a year too late though (and maybe not the team I would picture with this music choice), but I am curious to see where this goes.
I wanted to like the movie because I enjoy musicals. La La Land put me to sleep though. I don't think La La Land is the right choice for Ashley Wagner (she needs something spunkier).

Sylvia

TBD
Let's see how many competitive programs Jeff Buttle can choreograph before CSOI rehearsals start next week! :D
Joseph Phan's SP is done ("Definitely a change from Buble! 😁"): https://www.instagram.com/p/BhzKSSsH8hQ/

Starr Andrews will skate to a famous version of "Summertime" by Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong, choreographed by her coach Derrick Delmore, according to a new article posted in the U.S. Ladies thread here: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/u-s-ladies-22-no-more-carrots.103716/page-8#post-5352660

ETA:

Daniil Gleikhengauz shared these clips of him skating with 2018 World Junior champ Alexey Erokhov back on April 9 (Google translation: "A few excerpts from Alexei Erokhov's new short program! Do not judge strictly, these are only the initial options!"): https://www.instagram.com/p/BhWX8yhFAZw/?taken-by=d_gleikh

Last edited:

DobrinFan

Last edited:

StasiyaGalustyanLove

Banned Member
Yes, of course, Adam. I don't even know how I could forget his FS now, I have seen it so many times, and I actually like it a lot. Ziegler/Kiefer too. But there definitely haven't been a "million" FDs to Coldplay, like casken wrote.
Cold Play has such moving music, amazing words that capture the feelings I have for so many things for example such as my can opener, my dance belt, my bungy cords to help out with the truck, and women. So much of popular music today does not have any meaning for real-world white people like my wife and my self, Cold Play is the "great" exception to that.

A "million" though? No no no no no! Maybe ten to twelve, maybe seventeen at the very most. And I do not count the one's done by the Shibatanias because they were awful. No connection, no emotion. Awful! My wife agrees.

I think that next season the Kenirems should do a program to sound track of "Bridges of Madison Country," a great movie based off of the only novel I have read since I left the navy.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
The only good thing Coldplay have ever done was the "Game of Thrones musical" for Red Nose Day a couple of years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information