The Dance Hall 5: Ice Dance Fans 2017-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafOnTheWind

I haven’t read the past posts but I just found one post disparaging the art form of musical theatre. I’m going to make it my life’s mission from now to the the Fall of 2019 to introduce you guys to some of the most glorious and important pieces of art alive.
Better yet, could you make copies of your posts and send it to the choreographers and coaches? :saint:

chameleonster

Did they say what rhythms they will to skate to? Knowing the ISU rule makers, they like to put everything under the sun. It will probably be waltz, tango, march, polka. I'm just glad it is not paso doble again. That season was a tough watch.:lol:
Quickstep, blues, march, polka, and foxtrot.

Based both on the selected rhythms and that when the ISU provided examples of what they wanted to see for hip hop they picked SYTYCD routines, I suspect that what they have in mind might involve a little more jazz hands than Notre Dame de Paris or Moulin Rouge. Whether or not they explicitly restrict teams to more Fosse inspired programs will probably not be clear until next year. That said, even if they don't actually bar Andrew Lloyd Weber medleys, I think it's fairly likely that a lot of teams will stick to more fun, upbeat programs, or else we might have a repeat of the Ravensburger Waltz SDs where a bunch of programs got ditched early on. And as teams will have to create their own pattern to fit the program, changing programs mid season might be more difficult.

Last edited:

VGThuy

Better yet, could you make copies of your posts and send it to the choreographers and coaches? :saint:

That’s really sweet. My “best” ideas are reserved for the Shibs. I say best but I’m sure they’re awful (I mean I recommended “Spiegel im Spiegel” for them and they used it (though I don’t take credit for it) but some thought that music was boring but I maintain the “blue” part of their three colors trilogy was their best). I think choreographers and coaches have a better idea of what’s skating fans want.

Last edited:

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
Quickstep, blues, march, polka, and foxtrot.

Based both on the selected rhythms and that when the ISU provided examples of what they wanted to see for hip hop they picked SYTYCD routines, I suspect that what they have in mind might involve a little more jazz hands than Notre Dame de Paris or Moulin Rouge. Whether or not they explicitly restrict teams to more Fosse inspired programs will probably not be clear until next year. That said, even if they don't actually bar Andrew Lloyd Weber medleys, I think it's fairly likely that a lot of teams will stick to more fun, upbeat programs, or else we might have a repeat of the Ravensburger Waltz SDs where a bunch of programs got ditched early on. And as teams will have to create their own pattern to fit the program, changing programs mid season might be more difficult.
We gonna get a lot of Chicago aren't we then ?
Musicals are definitely not my cup of tea, they mostly creating immediate irritation close to a skin rash. I'm sure there's some great ones out there, let's just pray most teams will dig hard enough to avoid all the cheesy stuff. The only musicals whose music I enjoy were Starmania and as a kid Peau d'ane but again I tend to avoid the gendra altogether so I'm willing to be proven wrong.

text_skate

Die Fledermaus is an operetta, if any of the teams want to be more classical.
Not just Fledermaus, there are other Operettas by Strauss, like Der Zigeunerbaron.
And more Vienna Operetta:
Carl Zeller's "Der Vogelhändler"
Franz von Suppé's "Boccaccio", "Die schöne Galathée", "Pique Dame"
Carl Millöcker's "Der Bettelstudent"
and later Franz Léhar and Emmerich Kálmán. I always liked "Das Land des Lächelns".

There are tons of German and French operettas. I think, we might get a lot of Offenbach, Bacarola might be going to be a war horse. Paul Abraham is always a good place to start looking for popular music like Viktoria und ihr Husar, The Flower of Hawaii.

All in all I hope the teams start browsing through the vast corpus of operettas, musicals, maybe focusing on their own countries traditions, so that we get a wide potpourri of Musical, Operetta and Broadway.

Last edited:

Isabelle.G

Off broadway could be a possibility. Would fall in the scope at least.

Call me crazy but I can't wait. Cabaret, Fiddler on The Roof, Sweeney Todd, Wicked, Hair, Miss Saigon, Sunset Boulevard, Meet Me in St. Louis, The Producers, Funny Girl, Dreamgirls, Chicago, Grease, Tommy, and Rocky Horror Picture Show (though the costumes may be :eek:), Evita, Momma Mia.

And those were what I could recall off the top of my head.

How could I forget Sweeney Todd? That'd be interesting to see on the ice, and probably in both ways positive and negative. :D I think it'll be definitely interesting and a lot will depend on what skaters choose, how bold they'll be with their choices and whether they'll really try to express sth new or they'll just stick to 'the old' to get this done. I certainly hope the later won't be the case. Because otherwise, it won't be a nice season. :lol:

JJH

Anything by Gilbert & Sullivan or how about Merry Widow?

Would Belle Helene and The Devil & Kate be considered operettas?

nuge

Imagine Sweeney Todd We all deserve to die .You and me Mrs Lovett :rofl: Piper and Paul? Can just see Paul with a big grey streak of hair as he always likes to get into character:D

RoseRed

Hubbell/Donohue had my favorite skate in the short dance earlier today. Sensual and intense with gorgeous skating skills. They reminded me of Virtue/Moir. I'll keep my fingers crossed for them to go home with the silver medals round their necks.
They were talking about having "Tessa and Scott" focus when they got off the ice.

I am so thoroughly OK with cheesy as long as it is fun.

Agreed.

I do not know whether I want Piper and Paul to do Rocky Horror or Blame Canada.

OMG please.

lmarie086

missing my cat :(
Oh, I don't know. Music from musicals/operettas helped Davis & White win Olympic gold (My Fair Lady), Olympic silver (Phantom of the Opera), World gold (Notre-Dame de Paris), and World silver (Die Fledermaus).

Helped Virtue & Moir win Olympic gold (Moulin Rouge) and World gold (Funny Face)

Helped Cappellini & Lanotte win Worlds (42nd Street)

Helped the Duchesnays win Olympic silver (The Sound of Music and West Side Story).

Helped Klimova & Ponomarenko win Worlds (My Fair Lady)

Helped Torvill & Dean win Worlds (Mack & Mabel)

Though, I have to say, the musical selection I was just remembering today after hearing about this SD option was Denkova & Staviski's 2000-2001 Original Dance--the second half of which was to I Wanna Be Like You from the Jungle Book:).

I am so thoroughly OK with cheesy as long as it is fun.

Most of those are actually programs that I don't care for all that much lol. No denying that those programs certainly helped bring the skaters success, but not my cup of tea at least. To each their own! :)

D/W's POTO FD was my least favorite FD of their entire career, and Notre Dame reminded me of it in some ways until later on in the season when it became more developed.

You couldn't pay me to watch the Funny Face FD again. :p

But I'm really hoping for some out of the box music selections, and I hope someone remembers that Nightmare Before Christmas counts as a musical because that would be fun IMO (seriously, love that soundtrack - can't be used enough!).

MsZem

I see the sea
If Galit knew anything about Israel we could have Mary Lou. Instead it'll probably end up being Fiddler on the Roof.

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
I’ve never understood the argument that G&F are under marked. Granted it was 2 years ago, but they weren’t that impressive to me live. And they were scraaattttchhhyyy.

Last edited:

lmarie086

missing my cat :(
I saw G/F at Worlds in Boston and while I didn't care for their FD, they actually were better than I'd expected them to be - a lot more fluid than I anticipated. I haven't seen them live since, and I know watching on tv isn't the same, but their skating seems to be even more smooth now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information