RIP Prince

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Was he really a drug addict or people are just speculating without evidence? A healthy man in his 50s (or even in his 40s and younger) Can die suddenly of natural causes too.

Anyway, just read that the autopsy was completed and the body will be returned to the family. So sad for everyone! :(

topaz

FYI, Tidal is only streaming service who has rights to stream Prince's music. I have a subscription with sportify and rhapsody. I think Tidal is a great option, the money goes to the artists. They have two subcription options, 9.99 per month or 19.99.

I have many CD of prince(around 12 I think) but all of his stuff is at Tidal.

Minnesota Public Radio is also looping his music as I am sure many college/alternative radio stations across the country.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
Was he really a drug addict or people are just speculating without evidence?

People are speculating based on reports that he OD'd and that he was taking Percocet.

I just read that he told people at his party that he couldn't play the guitar at all any more, so he was focusing on the piano. Wow. I can't imagine Prince not playing the guitar. I wonder what the problem was, since he could apparently use his fingers for the piano. I wonder if he had back problems.

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado
People are speculating based on reports that he OD'd and that he was taking Percocet.

I just read that he told people at his party that he couldn't play the guitar at all any more, so he was focusing on the piano. Wow. I can't imagine Prince not playing the guitar. I wonder what the problem was, since he could apparently use his fingers for the piano. I wonder if he had back problems.
Per TMZ, hip problems for which he was allegedly taking Percocet.

Cachoo

Going back to some of the folks I listened to a lot in the 80's: Prince, Bruce/Estreet, U2, Madonna, The Police, The Pretenders, BOWIE! and so many others. We were a lucky lot weren't we? As for Prince, he was and is an original. There is no one quite like him. And he was "quality" over the course of his life.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member

Yeah, I know about the hip problems. But my guitar teacher has had both hips replaced and still plays guitar all the time. When he can't, it's because he has back problems. That might be related to the hips, but it's not the direct cause.

Jenny

From the Bloc

Maybe he meant that he couldn't play guitar the way he used to, or wanted to, but in a picture from his last concert a week ago, he's playing guitar.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
Maybe he meant that he couldn't play guitar the way he used to, or wanted to, but in a picture from his last concert a week ago, he's playing guitar.

That's what I thought, but.....ah, never mind, too far adrift.

IceAlisa

Yeah, I know about the hip problems. But my guitar teacher has had both hips replaced and still plays guitar all the time. When he can't, it's because he has back problems. That might be related to the hips, but it's not the direct cause.
Hip (or knee) replacement is one of the best orthopedic surgeries. My ex ballet dancer friend just had hers replaced, loves it, pain free, got her life back. And of course, some patients are left with residual pain but as we all know, Percocet is not the long term solution.

Did Prince have both hips replaced or one?

Lorac

Haven't there been rumours for years that Prince had AIDS. If that is true then couldn't it be possible that he succumbed to that disease especially if he had flu that he wasn't able to shake for several weeks.

Alixana

Definitely NOT a sonogram
Or, we know he had serious hip problems (needed replacements) but wouldn't have surgery due to his JW religious beliefs against blood transfusions (very common in such surgeries).

Slightly OT but to clarify .. you can certainly have hip replacement surgery without blood transfusions, just ask my 86 year old dad. In fact, in my hospital it's rare for any such patient to need a blood transfusion unless there's some other underlying condition where blood loss might be an issue.

Having said that, I'm still finding it hard to believe that he's gone. He was the only artist (no pun intended) whose albums I bought automatically without even listening to samples first. I've been listening to them all since the news broke yesterday. He was insanely talented in so many ways, and I would bet a large sum of money that he didn't need autotune. What a loss. :(

Skittl1321

Slightly OT but to clarify .. you can certainly have hip replacement surgery without blood transfusions, just ask my 86 year old dad. In fact, in my hospital it's rare for any such patient to need a blood transfusion unless there's some other underlying condition where blood loss might be an issue.
A lot of surgeons won't do the surgery (since it is elective) if you aren't open to a transfusion in an emergency. Because there can be unexpected blood loss, sometimes things just go wrong.

A patient dying during surgery is really bad, so they aren't likely to take the chance.

Alixana

Definitely NOT a sonogram
A lot of surgeons won't do the surgery (since it is elective) if you aren't open to a transfusion in an emergency. Because there can be unexpected blood loss, sometimes things just go wrong.

A patient dying during surgery is really bad, so they aren't likely to take the chance.

Yes, there are many who won't, but there are just as many who can and will do it, and with Prince's resources, he would have had access to any of them. Anyway, I'm going to go back on topic now and listen to the Purple Rain album while I make dinner. When Doves Cry is in my top 5 songs of all time. (And sing along with it ... if my family lets me).

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
Yes, there are many who won't, but there are just as many who can and will do it, and with Prince's resources, he would have had access to any of them.

Yes, many Jehovah's Witnesses have had hip replacements done; there's even a study on the subject. The idea that Prince would refuse to have one because he wouldn't take a blood transfusion is kind of off; the refusal would have been on the part of the surgeons.

If he had AIDS, now, and anemia from taking AZT (I think that's an issue? Medical people?), then he might not have been able to find a surgeon willing to take him on. But just as general practice, Witnesses do get hip replacements.

I keep reading that he was told to go off his AIDS medications by "leaders of his church," too. I don't know what did and did not happen there, but Witnesses do not believe in faith healing (they are quite sure God will let them die) and do not have issues with medicine except for blood transfusions. I could see some individuals taking it upon themselves to give him bad advice, but it's certainly not something that would be typical.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!

Yet he refused to stop wearing high heels, according to many who knew him, such as Kerry Gordy (manager of the Paisley Park compound for years) and Sheila E (former fiance). Both said so on CNN today. Gordy went so far as to say that Prince wore heels even when playing basketball at the compound. No wonder he had chronic hip pain!

Related article:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/prince-was-in-pain-all-of-the-time-122111538.html

Last edited:

Cachoo

Saw an interview with a woman who had been at a recent party hosted by Prince. She said he didn't sing and spoke for a few minutes to the party guests. She thought he sounded weak or frail. I don't remember her exact wording. But I don't think she thought he was in dire need of help that night.

mrinalini

Yet he refused to stop wearing high heels, according to many who knew him, such as Kerry Gordy (manager of the Paisley Park compound for years) and Sheila E (former fiance). Both said so on CNN today. Gordy went so far as to say that Prince wore heels even when playing basketball at the compound. No wonder he had chronic hip pain!

Can hardly blame him for that considering he was only 5 feet 2!

SHARPIE

fsuniverse.COM (finally)
Staff member
Heard all MTV channels were running prince on a loop :) watching now and started blubbering, he was so massive to us who grew up in the 80s - totally cooler than Michael Jackson to me. MJ seemed "novelty" where as the cool kids loved Prince.

"Cream" was my absolute favourite Prince track though, reminds me of a certain time in my life I look back on favourably.

RIP you little bundle of purple awesome and thank you, don't think a celebrity death has upset me so much.

I sound full of shit but it's so so sad. Although he hadn't really been relevant for a long time, he deserved to live out his life dying as an eccentric octogenarian at least... Not this :fragile:

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Medical people - is it possible that taking antibiotics along with blood pressure meds could have caused hypotension which then triggered some kind of fatal event? Maybe even something as simple as fainting and hitting the wrong part of your head when you fall?

I think it will be far scarier to those of us near his age if it's something like this that has nothing to do with illegal drugs or AIDS.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Percocet is legal if you have a prescription. . To OD on them unless you take am entire bottle of your Rx, you need access to lots. . I would think that a majority of the OD deaths involve Illegally procured drugs or multiple doctors..and that is not legal.

IceAlisa

Percocet is legal if you have a prescription. . To OD on them unless you take am entire bottle of your Rx, you need access to lots. . I would think that a majority of the OD deaths involve Illegally procured drugs or multiple doctors..and that is not legal.
No. The large part of the problem is overprescribing. It is being addressed with variable success within the pain management medical community.
we now know that overdoses from prescription opioid pain relievers are a driving factor in the 15-year increase in opioid overdose deaths. Since 1999, the amount of prescription opioids sold in the U.S. nearly quadrupled,2 yet there has not been an overall change in the amount of pain that Americans report.3,4 Deaths from prescription opioids—drugs like oxycodone, hydrocodone, and methadone—have also quadrupled since 1999
From the CDC http://www.cdc.gov/drugoverdose/epidemic/index.html

BittyBug

Disgusted
All prescription opioids are not equivalent. I posted this elsewhere, but because Percocet is a mix of oxycodone and acetaminophen, in order to ingest enough of the opiate component to OD you'd also ingest so much of the acetaminophen component that you'd actually OD on that. And there is no reversal drug for acetaminophen poisoning that is analogous to Narcan's anti-opioid effect.
It’s also possible to overdose on the oxycodone found in Percocet, but this requires taking enough Percocet that you’d be having issues with the acetaminophen already. It takes about 40 mg of oxycodone to overdose if you haven’t taken the medication before. At the lowest strength of Percocet, you’d need over 16 pills for the oxycodone to be dangerous, but you’d be well over the daily limit for acetaminophen poisoning and would need immediate medical attention.

http://prescription-drug.addictionblog.org/percocet-overdose-how-much-amount-of-percocet-to-od/

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Wow...acetaminiphen overdose, sounds horrible.

It should be noted that he couldn't have weighed more than 120 lbs at most. Back when I used to be around 100 lbs, I found that I needed smaller than normal doses of everything to get the same impact. You would think at age 57 he and his doctors would know how he reacts to medicine, but he probably has less margin of error given his small stature and low bodyweight.

IceAlisa

Vicodin is another opioid with acetamenophen (paracetamol for you Euros). It's even more important NOT to drink any alcohol with these meds as the combination of alcohol and acetamenophen is toxic to the liver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information